Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by stooped
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I have a really long work commute and have regularly filled much of the time by listening to a variety (10+) of pinball podcasts. Perhaps too much of a good thing has finally caught up to me as, between most/all of them typically discussing the news items of the week per TWIPY, and several of them routinely sharing hosts, they're starting to blend together in my brain.

I know it's crazy talk, but I'm thinking it may be time to drastically reduce my favorite podcast selections and expand my horizons by listening to other subjects more.

Anyone else experiencing a similar pinball podcast overload? If so, have any specific go-to podcasts that provide all your essential pinball info needs?

#2 5 years ago

I'm only an occasional listener. If there's a topic listed that seems interesting to me (usually an interview of some sort having to do with history or game development), I'll put it on. Otherwise, I don't normally listen to a particular podcast on a regular basis.

A lot of times, they cover similar things that I read about on the forums anyway, so I don't necessarily need to double up on coverage.

#3 5 years ago

10+ podcasts of any 1 subject just sounds painfull.

#4 5 years ago

Just do what I do, don't listen to any of them

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

10+ podcasts of any 1 subject just sounds painfull.

A telltale sign of pinball addiction eh? Fortunately, some only come out on a monthly or so basis.

#6 5 years ago

learn a second language with that time

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

A telltale sign of pinball addiction eh?

Or just a long commute

#9 5 years ago

What about non pinball podcasts? True crime is amazing

Sword and Scale
    Swindled
    Criminal
    My favorite murder

That should keep you busy for at least 6 months.

#10 5 years ago

I'd rather listen to decent music while on the road.

Although the Woody Show on 98.7 with their redneck news and craigslist freak of the week is pretty damn entertaining on the way to work.

Pinball podcasts.... not so much.

#11 5 years ago

American history tellers is excellent if you want to learn some US history.

#12 5 years ago

Those three plus Head 2 head for me, and the SDTM boys on YT

#13 5 years ago

And yes, I took a pinball podcast break for a while and it helped. Now only occasionally listen. To all podcasters, please limit to 1 hour or less. Otherwise, they seem to just drag. Especially when there is a guest that you find annoying.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Or just a long commute

Does 2 hrs + (drive/bus/ferry/walk) each way qualify? (I know - insane, but my housing costs are sane).

My current pinball podcast menu that I choose among (some more regularly than others):

Coast2Coast
    This Flippin' Podcast
    Kaneda
    Head2Head
    Slam Tilt
    TWIP
    Bro Do You Even ...
    Skill Shot
    Eclectic Gamers
    Pinball Players
    Mrs. Pin
    Pinball Profile
    Special When Lit

Quoted from chuckwurt:

What about non pinball podcasts? True crime is amazing
    Sword and Scale
    Swindled
    Criminal
    My favorite murder
    That should keep you busy for at least 6 months.

Thanks - I'll check these out. No shortage of alternative choices I know. I have a ton of "This American Life" episodes backlogged.

Quoted from o-din:

I'd rather listen to decent music while on the road.
    Pinball podcasts.... not so much.

An o-din cast might be entertaining.

#15 5 years ago

An o-din cast might be entertaining.

I was invited on a couple.

But having the freedom of speech I no longer have here, would probably get me permanently banned from this website anyway.

Redneck News is probably more entertaining .

#16 5 years ago

I listen on and off to a few with the exception of Head2Head. Monday's wouldn't be the same without it!

#17 5 years ago

I listen to one when I'm really interested in what the topic is...

#19 5 years ago

I listen to TWIP and as much I hate to admit it, I keep returning to Kaneda's podcast.

My favorite non pinball podcasts are Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Collosal Podcast and Who Are These Podcasts?

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I listen to TWIP and as much I hate to admit it, I keep returning to Kaneda's podcast.
    My favorite non pinball podcasts are Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Collosal Podcast and Who Are These Podcasts?

wow, I couldn't imagine listening to Gilbert Gottfried's voice for any length of time. Listening to nails on the chalkboard might be preferable.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Just do what I do, don't listen to any of them

+1

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

wow, I couldn't imagine listening to Gilbert Gottfried's voice for any length of time. Listening to nails on the chalkboard might be preferable.

Ha! He has a co host who does most of the heavy lifting. They interview oldie TV/Movie people.

#23 5 years ago

There are way too many now. Would have no life at all if tried listening to them all

I only listen to really interesting interviews, and there aren't many of those.

Or breaking news about games of the future.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, I don't get this fascination with listening to clueless nerds drone on and on about a subject they care or know little about the actual history of.
    It just adds to the nausea of what we can already get by reading pinside, without hearing their irritating voices at the same time.

Get off my lawn o-din!

Seriously, there's a lot of good pinball info to be derived from most podcasts. Admittedly, there's a lot of chaffe too. Christopher Franchi's "rules" for a good pinball podcast rang true for me. Personally, I'm not a big fan of tournament rules/format talk, ball-by-ball competition recountings, or geeky systems tech info.

#25 5 years ago

Get off my lawn o-din!

I knew someone would probably grab that before I deleted it. lol.

Then I realized some on those podcasts might actually be on this website, although I don't really pay attention to the who's who in the world of pinball podcasts, I just decided it was probably better to just let it go.

#26 5 years ago

Wow, you are listening to way too many. I used to listen to a lot when we didn't have so many to choose from. Now I just listen to my favorites. My short list:
    Eclectic Gamers
    Head2Head
    And, just started listening to Special When Lit

Still on my podcast app just in case:
    Coast2Coast
    Pinheadz

#27 5 years ago

I find myself listening to a lot of pinball podcasts but I have to break them up by listening to other topics.

Try some of these if you like to learn about random topics and science (All of these have pretty large back catalogs that will keep you busy):
    Planet Money
    99% Invisible
    Memory Palace
    Freakonomics Radio
    Criminal
    Invisibilia
    Stuff You Should Know

If you like unsolved crimes / murder mysteries give these a try:
    Serial
    Up and Vanished
    Atlanta Monster

#28 5 years ago

Tips.

Listen at 1.2x to 2.0x depending on how slow the person is talking

Listen only when you have spare time. Driving. Working out. Working on pins. Etc.

If you fall behind then don't listen to the ones that don't interest you as much.

If there is a topic you don't care about that a show talks about each week. Fast forward through that bit! Don't listen to it and hate the podcast and waste your time.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

I usually find that 1.2x to 1.5x is fine for most people talking. It's also great for most youtube videos. I only use 2.0x if their pace of speaking is a bit slower than average.

#30 5 years ago

Any idea why the "Little Kings Pinball Podcast" fell off of iTunes?

#31 5 years ago

Join "The Great Courses" for $20 a month.

It's on Amazon for less but the last 5 min of every lecture is missing.

#32 5 years ago

I understand they now have a thing where you can listen to the bible instead of actually reading it.

#33 5 years ago

Still interested in hearing what others consider as their essential pinball podcast(s).

#34 5 years ago

Still interested in hearing what others consider as their essential pinball podcast(s).

I listen to a lot (I also have a long commute, and tend to listen to podcasts when I exercise). According to my phone, my current pinball ones are Bro, C2C, Eclectic, Flippin' and Mashing, For Amusement Only, H2H, Mrs. Pin, Pinball News & Pinball Mag, Pinball Profile, Pinheadz, Pinball Podcast, Rip Tide, Special When Lit, Pinball Players, Slam Tilt, Spinner is Lit, This Flippin, TWIP, and TILT THRU. And I easily keep up with that volume, coupled with some news podcasts, video game podcasts, and history podcasts.

Now, many of the above do not even average a monthly release (C2C, F&M, Pinheadz, Rip Tide, Spinner, and TILT THRU all seem to be less than monthly at this point), and a couple more are on a monthly schedule (Bro and PN & PM). Easy to keep up with, in other words.

Most of the podcasts that are weekly (or more frequent) also cover news. Since the news is small (as in, pinball is so narrow any weekly podcast can pretty easily summarize all the news for you), perhaps you want to evaluate among those (TWIP, H2H, Slam, and Special) if you are just after the news in an audio fashion. That said, I'd just hit the fast forward button if I find a subject repetitive or dull or whatnot. Usually I enjoy hearing the different perspectives, and there are some pretty extreme variances in opinion out there.

Quoted from FalconPunch:

Definitely. Almost all the podcasts I listen to are at 1.3x to 1.5x.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

I listen to a lot (I also have a long commute, and tend to listen to podcasts when I exercise). According to my phone, my current pinball ones are Bro, C2C, Eclectic, Flippin' and Mashing, For Amusement Only, H2H, Mrs. Pin, Pinball News & Pinball Mag, Pinball Profile, Pinheadz, Pinball Podcast, Rip Tide, Special When Lit, Pinball Players, Slam Tilt, Spinner is Lit, This Flippin, TWIP, and TILT THRU. And I easily keep up with that volume, coupled with some news podcasts, video game podcasts, and history podcasts.
    Now, many of the above do not even average a monthly release (C2C, F&M, Pinheadz, Rip Tide, Spinner, and TILT THRU all seem to be less than monthly at this point), and a couple more are on a monthly schedule (Bro and PN & PM). Easy to keep up with, in other words.
    Most of the podcasts that are weekly (or more frequent) also cover news. Since the news is small (as in, pinball is so narrow any weekly podcast can pretty easily summarize all the news for you), perhaps you want to evaluate among those (TWIP, H2H, Slam, and Special) if you are just after the news in an audio fashion. That said, I'd just hit the fast forward button if I find a subject repetitive or dull or whatnot. Usually I enjoy hearing the different perspectives, and there are some pretty extreme variances in opinion out there.

Definitely. Almost all the podcasts I listen to are at 1.3x to 1.5x.

Except for TWIPcast, Dennis listens at 0.75x to savor the Pinball Market Trends section.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Whoa! Thanks - addiction loves company.

I appreciate your well articulated perspectives in your podcasts BTW.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Except for TWIPcast, Dennis listens at 0.75x to savor the Pinball Market Trends section.

A friend told me he typically listens to podcasts at 1/4 speed in order to savor every syllable; except for yours Zach as your Hoosier drawl is already slow enough.

#38 5 years ago

A friend told me he typically listens to podcasts at 1/4 speed in order to savor every syllable; except for yours Zach as your Hoosier drawl is already slow enough.

Hahaha ahh shucks I’m flattered.

#39 5 years ago

I know where you're coming from. The Problem ist that there's just all the same news for everyone to share.

For me, what I can hear without it getting 'too much':

- The main News you get in the TWIP Podcast, but since I eagerly read the site, much of it is 'repetition'. But there's guests who may add additional Info and Zach is likeable and does a good Job to add value to the podcast. (ZMeny - I like the "Show me your's I Show you mine" part, and the 'discussion' about Hobbit was awesome. )

- Head 2 Head pinball has a lot of new Information out of their interviews. And them are a happy few, I just like to listen to them. At the Moment they're my number one Podcast (having read TWIP as a given).

- Special when Lit has some nice interviews that may spurt some new info. (And when there's not that much to talk about they don't do.)

- Lastly I still listen to the one that shall not be named, altough since about everyone seems to have broke up with him, it's mostly rambling. Get's repetitive in itself but stands in complete contrast to the rest. I'd like to have him as guest in any podcast, that would be hilarious.

#40 5 years ago

I listen to a podcast on occasion, but most of the pinball ones are unbearable to me. I don't care to waste my time listening to a couple guys who laugh uncontrollably for long periods of time (especially when they are not even funny), and I don't want to waste an hour or more listening to people talk about crap totally unrelated to pinball and then throw in 5 minutes of pinball at the end. They come off as being too try-hard and sparse on content, and trying too hard fill a time slot every episode so they don't lose listeners. I probably listen to the little K more than anyone. Even tough he can be pretty whiny and obnoxiously braggy at times, his views on the marketing and state of the pinball industries is usually pretty accurate, IMO. And he stays on Pinball. And since I know you are reading this, I don't care what you drive or wear, buddy...don't feel like you have to bring it up every episode.

Every other podcast seems to have an underlying tone of cheerleading or shilling to their sponsors. I want more real and unbiased reviews. More talk on skill building and specific game strategies. I could care less about your game rank matrix where every game is an A or B, separated by 0.125 points. Sorry if this cuts anyone too deep...I am just trying to be honest.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

American history tellers is excellent if you want to learn some US history.

Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History is phenomenal! I highly recommend it.

#42 5 years ago

Just a reminder that this guy recently got drunk at a pinball tournament, pushed his fiancé, and threw a drink in someone's face. He's not a good guy.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigStiffy:

Just a reminder that this guy recently got drunk at a pinball tournament, pushed his fiancé, and threw a drink in someone's face. He's not a good guy.

Then "took a break from pinball" for a month with no public apology and never took responsibility publicly for what he did. Narcissistic personality disorder 101.

#44 5 years ago

I live in Los Angeles, so when a 15 mile drive home from work takes 45-60 minutes you have plenty of podcast time. I follow only 3.

#1 - Kaneda - By far the most entertaining podcast.

#2 - SDTM - Like the pinball reviews.

#3 - Mrs Pin - I find her hilariously funny.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Hahaha ahh shucks I’m flattered.

Just bustin' your pinballs of course - I appreciate all you do for the hobby!

Quoted from JodyG:

Then "took a break from pinball" for a month with no public apology and never took responsibility publicly for what he did. Narcissistic personality disorder 101.

I don't know Kaneda personally nor was I at the tournament referenced, but he has expressed remorse for his actions there and apologized accordingly on more than one of his subsequent podcasts.

On a podcast basis only, although Kaneda has a tendency to be overdramatic at times and he will often beat a subject to death, I enjoy his passion and perspective on the hobby and business of pinball.

#47 5 years ago

Just bustin' your pinballs of course - I appreciate all you do for the hobby!

I don't know Kaneda personally nor was I at the tournament referenced, but he has expressed remorse for his actions there and apologized accordingly on more than one of his subsequent podcasts.
    On a podcast basis only, although Kaneda has a tendency to be overdramatic at times and he will often beat a subject to death, I enjoy his passion and perspective on the hobby and business of pinball.

Must have been one of the ones he deleted, because I don't think it's referenced in any of the podcasts posted currently.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigStiffy:

Didn't know about him pushing his fiancé but heard about the drink throwing, yeah...his history on Pinside proved what a narcissistic train wreck he is. When he was on here, I couldn't stand the guy.

Still, I have to give credit where credit is due...anyone that can talk nonstop for over an hour with no guests and still make the show entertaining has talent.

I could do with a few less crutch words ("literally" comes to mind), and he continually contradicts himself, but IMO his is the best Pinball related podcast out there.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Didn't know about him pushing his fiancé

I think the guys from Slam Tilt podcast were there and described the incident on their show, including pushing his girlfriend.

I agree, he's not a good person.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

So mean.

Quoted from Allibaster:

Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History is phenomenal! I highly recommend it.

+1 on this, if you like history this is awesome. Probably the first podcast I ever subscribed to. Sadly, it is infrequent. If you like the history of conflict, give Revolutions a try (hosted by Mike Duncan; he's far more frequent with releasing than Dan and it's a similar style).

Pivoting back to topic...

Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I know where you're coming from. The Problem ist that there's just all the same news for everyone to share.

Yes, one sees the same thing on the video game side. I believe on their latest episode The Pinball Podcast announced a change to their format to no longer give focus to covering the news (since so many weekly podcasts are doing it now). jar155 can likely confirm.

On EGP we usually only talk about the "bigger" news stories, since we're every other week (again, the weeklies are just going to hit all the detailed news items better).

Bro and PN & PM cover the bigger news on the monthly schedule, if one's into that.

Overall, I find the non-weekly shows tend to rely on news less and use a greater percentage of time to discuss broad topics, deep dives, or theoretical pinball talks. So, it all just depends what someone likes. I like a lot of variety. I've shed a lot of shows that didn't work for me, and sometimes I drop a show, wait a few months, and then give it another try to see if they've changed enough to fit my interests.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-podcasts-fatigue?hl=zmeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.