Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by stooped
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

I am a big fan of podcasts... and I see the OP point about a bit too much of a good thing. I think it all stems from the lack of news. And it seems that every podcaster knows more than what they lead on, because they don't want to burn any bridges. Which I can respect. But yes they all report on the same stuff... it does get tedious.

I like in no special order.

Head2head
    Kaneda
    TWIP

Just started to listen to Special when Lit, and I am digging it.

#52 5 years ago

I got burned out from my OWN show, so I understand the fatigue. Going through a major shift gears moment right now though, so the excitement is coming back. Everybody else does news better, so we're dropping that. Everybody does interviews better, so those will remain a rarity. Just going to focus on pinball as a product and do deep dives on industry people, game aspects, and stuff like that. Not sure if people will like it or not, but I'll at least like doing it more. Maybe that will revive the passion and make the show better overall.

Over time I think most shows will get better at differentiating things. There's just been such a surge of shows, and it takes a while to find a niche. I can see signs that people are starting to find what they do best and lean on it though. Shows should start being a lot more varied with time.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I know where you're coming from. The Problem ist that there's just all the same news for everyone to share.
    For me, what I can hear without it getting 'too much':
    - The main News you get in the TWIP Podcast, but since I eagerly read the site, much of it is 'repetition'. But there's guests who may add additional Info and Zach is likeable and does a good Job to add value to the podcast. (ZMeny - I like the "Show me your's I Show you mine" part, and the 'discussion' about Hobbit was awesome. )
    - Head 2 Head pinball has a lot of new Information out of their interviews. And them are a happy few, I just like to listen to them. At the Moment they're my number one Podcast (having read TWIP as a given).
    - Special when Lit has some nice interviews that may spurt some new info. (And when there's not that much to talk about they don't do.)
    - Lastly I still listen to the one that shall not be named, altough since about everyone seems to have broke up with him, it's mostly rambling. Get's repetitive in itself but stands in complete contrast to the rest. I'd like to have him as guest in any podcast, that would be hilarious.

Congratulations!

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Didn't know about him pushing his fiancé but heard about the drink throwing, yeah...his history on Pinside proved what a narcissistic train wreck he is. When he was on here, I couldn't stand the guy.

I sat this out for a very long time but I'll just relay a couple things...

He apologized to me personally. I'm not the type to hold a grudge, but I can't speak for others.

He didn't really assault his Finance - he drunkenly, sloppily pawed at her to retard her attempts to remove him from the premises. Still, as this entire thing disrupted the Women's Championship final, and as MANY of the competitors in said final were complaining about his behavior and frankly wanted him anywhere but there...well, let's just say the optics weren't good, and there were audible gasps from many in attendance.

Chris has carved out a nice little niche for himself in pinball. It's not a niche I give a shit about, just like pinball tournaments obviously aren't one he cares about. It's probably best if he just sticks to industry gossip and opinion rather than trying to crobar himself into a scene where he adds nothing and has no interest in. I was happy to see him there until I realized how drunk and disruptive he had become, and forcing him to leave had absolutely been the last thing on my mind.

I'll just say this - remember that Eclipse cruise with Bonnie Tyler that he was so goddamn proud of himself about? The big marketing triumph he worked on for months, and was so proud that he managed to pull off with his team, and was such a resounding success?

Well how do you think he would have felt if after all that work, and at the peak of the event, I drunkenly staggered onto the stage, stripped down and took a big steaming dump right next to Bonnie as she was reaching for a high note?

Well, that's pretty much how I felt at the NYCPC when suddenly, after eight months of preparation and while dealing with about 20 other things to ensure that everyone had a good time and everything was going smoothly, I now had to focus my attention on this bullshit.

I've accepted his apology and I'd moved on by 20 minutes later, when it was all forgotten and we were all having fun again. I just wish it didn't happen, it really sucked, and hopefully he feels the same way.

#55 5 years ago

I find it hard to listen to most pinball podcasts because most of them won't tell you what they honestly think. It reminds me of that Lego movie theme song "Everything is Awesome", lol. What I find somewhat interesting is that video game podcasts don't have the same issue, they're usually very blunt with their opinions. For example, if video game was released as a buggy mess, the video game podcast world would rip it apart on why you shouldn't buy it. On most pinball podcasts they would just say something about the code is early so no judgement, the art is awesome, all this other stuff is awesome, etc...I would much rather hear someone honestly say that the current code is awful and don't buy it in it's current state. And continue to say don't buy it until they fix it.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I find it hard to listen to most pinball podcasts because most of them won't tell you what they honestly think. It reminds me of that Lego movie theme song "Everything is Awesome", lol. What I find somewhat interesting is that video game podcasts don't have the same issue, they're usually very blunt with their opinions. For example, if video game was released as a buggy mess, the video game podcast world would rip it apart on why you shouldn't buy it. On most pinball podcasts they would just say something about the code is early so no judgement, the art is awesome, all this other stuff is awesome, etc...I would much rather hear someone honestly say that the current code is awful and don't buy it in it's current state. And continue to say don't buy it until they fix it.

There's a reason for that...

Well, it's changing, but there's a reason why that was hard to do not so long ago.

#57 5 years ago

I’m appreciate the efforts by all of them, prefer interviews so just waiting for one to land time with Pat Lawlor. No real chronicle since his Topcast interview years ago. Seems pretty reclusive, not sure if he realizes (or cares) how many would love his take on the hobby or thoughts on pinballs uptick today.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Well, it's changing, but there's a reason why that was hard to do not so long ago.

I'm not sure I follow. The unmentionable podcast has been doing it like 2 years, what's stopping everyone else, financial sponsors?

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Every other podcast seems to have an underlying tone of cheerleading or shilling to their sponsors. I want more real and unbiased reviews. More talk on skill building and specific game strategies. I could care less about your game rank matrix where every game is an A or B, separated by 0.125 points. Sorry if this cuts anyone too deep...I am just trying to be honest.

.....of course, no offense taken...hehehe

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I find it hard to listen to most pinball podcasts because most of them won't tell you what they honestly think. It reminds me of that Lego movie theme song "Everything is Awesome", lol. What I find somewhat interesting is that video game podcasts don't have the same issue, they're usually very blunt with their opinions. For example, if video game was released as a buggy mess, the video game podcast world would rip it apart on why you shouldn't buy it.

Quoted from jar155:

I think this came up a while ago in another thread, but it lends itself to this topic so I'll opine a bit on it. The issue is one of access. Video games have an entire journalism industry that has cropped up (and have their own growing pains, such as scandals regarding reviews). People have full-time jobs covering the field, lots of employees at companies information can flow from, etc.

In the world of pinball podcasting, you basically have two choices:
    1) Have the industry invite you in (this may be informal or formal). They offer you sneak-peaks, details, and a lot of transparency, but you are hit with an NDA or told the intel is off the record. Nutshell, you know everything, but can say nothing because that's what you agreed to.
    2) Be able to say what you want, but often not know anything particularly unique. Also have a harder time accessing industry insiders, since you don't have a strong prior relationship with the organization already established.

For EGP, Tony and I went route #2 (and I'd like to think we've always been honest in our assessments because of it, but that's for the audience to determine). Of course, I see a difference between being honest and being deliberately rude (and maybe we cross that line at times, for entertainment purposes, but truthfulness and brutality do not need to be hand-in-hand). We do not try to get access to upcoming title information behind the scenes, and thus we know next to nothing on those subjects. Our requests for information are sometimes answered but often ignored as well (I don't have Gomez on speed-dial). We do not try to "become friends" with people who work for pinball manufacturers (I think that's the big one... it's hard to say your friend's game sucks for a lot of people and personally it's just easier for me to avoid the situation entirely), but it's a small hobby. Podcasters are first and foremost fans, and that fandom can lead down a path of wanting access and being in the know (and then being stuck with information that cannot be revealed).

Ironically, even with all these steps, I still will get someone out of the blue offering up a detail not for the audience. And it can happen brutally fast (as in, I might get an email that says, "Hey, heard you talking about our next game, this isn't for public consumption but [INSERT REVEAL HERE]"). Seriously, there isn't even an opportunity to say no thanks sometimes, they just spill the beans while telling you it isn't to be revealed. So you either reveal and burn that bridge and disrespect the trust they put in you, or you keep your mouth shut.

1 week later
    #61 5 years ago

I find myself hilariously funny too. Thanks so much for listening!!!

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from billyboy:

I live in Los Angeles, so when a 15 mile drive home from work takes 45-60 minutes you have plenty of podcast time. I follow only 3.
    #1 - Kaneda - By far the most entertaining podcast.
    #2 - SDTM - Like the pinball reviews.
    #3 - Mrs Pin - I find her hilariously funny.

billyboy I find myself hilariously funny too. Thanks for listening!!

#63 5 years ago

I'm late to the party having only started to listen back in June. For me it's simple- twip and head to head.
    I do appreciate others but it seems most just read the news from the two mentioned above.

Thanks to all that do it and the strong will survive....well them and kaneda .
    Kaneda has like 200 pods or something that's crazy.

#64 5 years ago

I stopped listening to all pinball podcasts and unsubscribed from all of the streamer youtube channels.
    I get pretty much everything I want via:
    1) Bowen's pinball tutorial videos
    2) TWIP weekly updates on my RSS feed

2 weeks later
    #65 5 years ago

I started with TOPcast. Those interviews remain encyclopedia of pinball information. During that same time period, I as enjoying Gameroom Junkies and Rob and Steve’s Podcast (oops forgot name).

I like Coast to Coast, but I enjoyed it more in it’s earlier days. It remains very good when it occasionally pops up.

My current favorites are

This Flippin Podcast and Head to Head

I do listen to Pinball Profile, TWiP and Special when Lit if I see a topic listed that interests me. I don’t watch any video podcasts.

#66 5 years ago

At this point it’s quantity over quality with these podcasts.

#67 5 years ago

Since I rejoined the hobby in 2013, I think I have listened to every podcast ever done. I found that I could do my dreaded paperwork or read magazines at the same time. NYC locals,one timers, Canadians in cars,lots of drunks,3 hour rambles,a few guys that tragically have passed, all of 'em. Everybody at 1.5x (which drives my wife crazy), skipping through the EM stuff,video and movie discussions and local tournament stories. My favorites are Topcast, Coast 2Coast, Head2Head and Slam Tilt and I like at least ten more. I have never talked with these guys and gals in person, but I feel like we're all friends now. However, I have played very little in this period and it shows. So now that I know everybody and everything, it's time to learn some rules and develop some skills.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-podcasts-fatigue/page/2?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.