Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Dono
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6E60B57E-80F9-4F06-8A5A-C4613D96FB2E (resized).jpeg
    4084522C-8B3F-46B6-836B-BE938E4C79FB (resized).jpeg
    Right_Side_Complete_2 (resized).JPG
    Right_Side_Complete_1 (resized).JPG
    9C931AC4-1E53-4014-8F0A-125A77A3B619 (resized).jpeg
    B603A7FB-191A-4AC0-9B7F-A1A89DFF78A1 (resized).jpeg
    8BDBE17B-FE90-4095-92BC-4207DD944689 (resized).jpeg
    D18F0870-20BA-4148-86D4-D3B5654CD926 (resized).jpeg
    CE171009-E70C-4022-8DD5-9CF73087307A (resized).jpeg
    C8D7D05C-44BC-4F11-9453-8D89926E7893 (resized).jpeg
    21A13FA2-D590-4C17-BB3B-7A99B778AFEA (resized).jpeg
    B60D4B23-8512-47D6-BE23-3117513D17C8 (resized).jpeg
    6C4D81ED-B4D6-4B74-AB4A-016CF7397D15 (resized).jpeg
    45DB7D85-57DE-49B9-B77A-60F154F751B1 (resized).jpeg
    94F096A8-DB55-4697-B299-96716A084608 (resized).jpeg
    FC9A8ED9-45EC-4F88-9608-9D5219525249 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spandol.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tallon:

I have done a couple sets of pinball pimp stencils. Just follow the instructions on your paint. Pull the stencil while the paint is still in the flash period or wait for the flash time and hit a second coat then peal the vinyl while it’s in the flash time. Let it fully cure. Light sand to give it some bite for the next color and knock down any high edges. Tack the cabinet and apply next layer of vinyl. Rinse and repeat til you ready for clear or done. I have always used rattle cans.

What grit do you use to sand? Also what paint and clear do you use? I tried rattle cans for a Flash Gordon, but could never completely cover the primer because the red was so thin. I want to do my Viking, but not sure what red to use.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tallon:

To strip it I used 80 grit on a vac system (lead paint and all) then worked up to 220. bondo and fill cracks. Then finish sand at 300. Priming was 12 cans as the wood was old and soaked a ton of paint. Then 6 cans of white for base coat and averaged 2 cans per layer. Head was about half again those numbers. The more time you prep, the less time you have to fix stuff. I was using rustolium 2x paints. Krylon didn’t seem to cover as well on another project

The prep and fixing was pretty easy. The problem was I needed red and used the rustoleum cans. After 4 coats of red and not completely covering the primer, I had to start again and change to oil based paint. I'd rather do cans though. Not sure if I'll be able to.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Molotow and Ironlak cans, they will change your life.

Might try the Molotow. Looks great!

1 year later
    #23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

I'm doing a Mata Hari repaint with the Pimp's stencils...
    Primed, painted yellow basecoat with Molotow Signal yellow... let dry 3 days, applied 1st overlay color (signal red Molotow), worked perfectly. Let dry two days... applied the black to one side of the head (Molotow black)...
    Uh Oh... as I pulled the stencil, there were areas that left stencil adhesive residue, and it was an absolute bitch to remove and not hose the paint job... could this have been caused by the temp/humidity (it was early 80s, with 85% humidity) at application time?

I have had this happen with the registration squares, but not the stencils themselves. I think because the registration squares stay attached for much longer until the last stencil is painted and somehow heat gets them that way. I found that using duct tape took off that adhesive material left behind and left it looking like nothing was there. Took me having to ruin the paint job and redo it to figure it out. Chris from HEP also helped by giving me the tape suggestion. Giving credit where due.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Interesting... could you expand a little on the process for using duct tape to remove the residue?

Well, Chris suggestion using tape and I assumed masking tape or packaging tape. I tried masking tape, but it didn’t work. Duct tape has a stronger adhesive so this worked. Basically I took off the registration square and it left behind the sticky adhesive material. I assumed this is what you were having an issue with. Taking the sticky side of the duct tape, I simply placed it against the sticky remains on the cabinet and it pulled it off after a couple of times doing it. Worked great. Before that I was having quite a time trying to get the stuff off without doing something to the base coat of paint.

If you’re having more adhesive left behind from the rest of the stencil, I would think this would work too.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Thanks for the detail, exactly what I needed!

Great! Hope it works out for you!

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

The duct tape trick worked somewhat, so thank you for the tip. However I had to use Goo Gone on a Q-tip, sprinkled white flour and used a finger to rub and roll the flour through the stickiness to remove it... then followed up with a damp towel with a diluted dish soap/water solution to remove any remaining flour/residue material.
    BTW, didn't have an issue with the black color applied on the opposite side of the head yesterday... temp and humidity at 74 deg w/ 75% humidity at application time... problematic application done earlier - temp in the mid-80s w/85% humidity.

I tried goo gone before but it altered the look of my base coat of paint.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Right side completed today... registration was a little off for some reason, but its minor, so I'm all good with the results... Molotow is super easy to work with, so much better than Rustoleum and Krylon sprays. No matter how much I tried to spray just enough to cover, there is still a noticeable bump at each color layer... Molotow is a thick paint, and this coupled with the fact that I'm using spray cans and adhesive stencils makes any attempt at slight overspray/no color layer differences felt on cabinet virtually impossible... still am very happy with the results.
    Also happy that this paint is like an eggshell/satin finish, perfect IMO for EM repaints... would also look incredible under a thin clearcoat as well.[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, the Molotow paint is great. Really happy with how my Stars came out. When I do my Viking I will use it. The Rustoleum is so thin that when I tried to do Flash Gordon, the red would never cover the primer 100%. I’m not worried about Molotow covering it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spandol.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-pimp-stencils?tu=spandol and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.