Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Harlem-Globetrotters-31 (resized).jpg
IMG_3024 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 1 year ago

I guess everyone needs to add $400 to $500 to any pin sold and shipped, new or restored, to cover the possibility of
1st parties position to cover a working game received, in case a tech is needed.....

Not sure if thats the best way to guarantee a working game on delivery, because it sure is needed on Brand New Games!

(BTW, i pushed my whitewater across the room, and developed problems.....a couple hours to fix, and it played 100% where it stood for 3 years!)

#102 1 year ago
Quoted from Baiter:

How so? The typical game on the market for $1200 has a nicked up cabinet, beat up coin door, rusty legs, faded playfield with wear, off color wavy plastics, chipping backglass. This is far from that... https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/44458

You didn't just describe a 1200 game you described a 400 dollar game.

I have a nice SBM in pretty decent shape little playfield wear and repro plastics and backglass and If It wasn't my first pin I might consider selling it. Wouldn't ask more than 1500 and that would probably take 1200 and consider that fair. Worn SBM's as you described are 500 dollar games on a good day...

#103 1 year ago

Let me clarify a few things

I didn't come on to Pinside to air my dirty laundry without first going to Jeff for a resolution and I also didn't come here to try and shame him into giving me $400 I told him already i don't even want the money at this point. I tried multiple times he didn't think it was his responsibility. "The game worked when it left here" and "well you know when shipping stuff happens"

I also commented on to what a wonderful job he had done ascetically.

I can here to warn others that games advertised as "museum quality" and "torn down to the screw" is a lie and the part that I refer to as "fraud"
I don't want to see others in the same situation paying top dollar for a game have the same issues

The answer to this isn't "learn how to fix games yourself" or I buy his stensils and he's a good guy. It's also not about how great of a price I got was, cause if it was such a great deal how come it didn't fly off the shelf when he had it listed for so long and to that effect I will gladly sell you the game for $3600 to anyone who would like it.

And yes shipping can cause damage that's completely true, however shipping doesn't cause old boards to remain old boards with no work to them, shipping doesn't cause lead wires to "jump" positions in the molex connectors as well as multiple other issues

Also to clarify all the issues with the per hour rate of techs i stated that there were TWO techs that worked for 3-4 hours working on the multiple issues in the back box as well as the wiring in cabinet and Playfield so all the mathematicians can divide by 2

The fact remains is that I didn't assume there was a warranty nor was I told there was one. What I did assume that a game on the higher side of the price matrix would get to my house in working order and that I wouldn't have to spend $400 immediately to get it in working order
And further that the seller wouldn't seem to care!

#104 1 year ago
Quoted from pookycade:

2) what should be the warranty on a pin priced 3X over its normal pinside selling price.

But how many SBM have you ever seen that looked like that???

I see SBM all day long on CL for $1600 (worn to the wood, both cab and playfield), or for $2300 at an expo (CPR playfield, badly painted cab, faded BG), so for probably the best looking SBM ever offed for sale in memory (with Alltek, new plastics, door skin, rails, bla bla) $3600 seems a fair price

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from homebrood:

Worn SBM's as you described are 500 dollar games on a good day.

I'll take all you've got for that price.

#106 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But how many SBM have you ever seen that looked like that???
I see SBM all day long on CL for $1600 (worn to the wood, both cab and playfield), or for $2300 at an expo (CPR playfield, badly painted cab, faded BG), so for probably the best looking SBM ever offed for sale in memory (will Alltek, new plastics, door skin, rails, bla bla) $3600 seems a fair price

Vid I pretty much agree with you on this. It's something I confront all the time. How far does one go on a restore and what's it worth. I pretty much assume if I'm doing a playfield replacement I really need to make sure everything else underneath matches that to justify the cost of the new playfield. I guess If this had been advertised as an amazing cosmetic restore but perhaps needing some mechanism and board rework that would have been a more accurate description. I just bought a Firepower that was in amazing cosmetic condition but had some switch and board issues. It was advertised as such and priced as such. Since I'm bad at cosmetics and good at electronics it was a good purchase. The problem here was that the buyer assumed the beauty was more than skin deep on this SB and the seller was perhaps not as forthcoming about what was still left to be done to dispel that notion. You are quite right that the best ever SB with good bones is worth a lot, maybe even $3.6K to the right person. These problems were due to bad assumptions about what was being provided here.

#107 1 year ago
Quoted from pookycade:

Don't exactly consider paying $3600 for an early SS pin "cutting corners"

It is compared to buying such a pin from a retailer who provides onsite support and warranty.

No amount of money removes the problems of shipping, moving, tearing down and setting up pins. Most people consider it easy and normal because they know how to cope with the oddities that will appear.

Quoted from pookycade:

That however is irrelevant to this discussion.

No, it's very relevant. Regardless of who you buy from... do not expect remote tech support or an obligation to fix remotely a game you bought sight unseen and shipped it. Discuss what was disclosed or not.. missing, or clearly obmitted/changed as it comes to what your expectations were and what you paid... but don't sit there and think the guy is going to troubleshoot and somehow fix it for you remotely.
These are the realities that exist when you buy pins remote and ship them around. Don't like it? DON'T DO IT! If you want white glove service... you either buy local with help or you pay reputable businesses that can supply that local service.

Don't want to pay retail prices? Then stop expecting retail service!

The people that do this regularly and are happy with it are because they accept and deal with the negatives when they come up. Not run crying cheat!! when the inevitable come up.

1 week later
#108 12 months ago

I've pretty much read this entire thread for some reason and I've got two thoughts.
1. When did we start spelling it damb?
And....
2. I believe both parties involved have learned something on this.

#109 12 months ago
Quoted from pinplayerinva:

I've pretty much read this entire thread for some reason and I've got two thoughts.
1. When did we start spelling it damb?
And....
2. I believe both parties involved have learned something on this.

Yeah, don't sell to newbies.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 21.00
There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside