Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Harlem-Globetrotters-31 (resized).jpg
IMG_3024 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Review / complaint Posted by joefox22 (6 years ago)

Post #37 Response from Pinball Pimp Posted by PinballPimp (6 years ago)

Post #103 Follow-up from the OP and his original expectations for the game. Posted by joefox22 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I would advise all to beware of any Pinball Pimp restoration. I paid a very high price for a "Pinball Pimp Restoration" when it arrived it looked perfect. Cabinet and head were perfect. I plugged the game in and immediately notice lights out and not functioning. They weren't burnt out bulbs the sockets were not active. I called and he said well when it left here it worked.
The next day I moved the game into my game room and played a few games on the third game while holding the ball on a flipper the game just completely died. Only the GI lights were functioning. All else dead. Found a 5a fuse blown in the power supply. Replaced it and half the game was still out including multiple switches and approx 19 lights. I called him no answer. Sent an email and FB message. No responses for 2 days. Then he didn't even return the call just sent me a long email about how games that are 40 years old have problems and traveling 1800 miles can cause major problems. Blah blah. "Everything worked while it was here". He hen suggested to get a local repair company and it probably wouldn't be any big deal and we can see what we can do after that. So a week later I had a company out. After 3-4 hours of working on the game replacing multiple transistors, replacing the wiring from the credit button that was somehow wired to a tilt switch. Multiple pins in connectors that were bad and it goes on. Ultimately $400 between parts and labor which to be honest in thought wasn't that bad for all the issues.
So I email the Pinball Pimp assuming he would just reimburse me since it was clear that no amount of travel etc could cause such adverse issues. What do I get? A bunch more blah blah about how it's not his fault and the game is old and travel and then wants to criticize the repair guy that he charges too much for 3-4 hours of labor and wanted a itemized bill for such insane charges. Come more to find out with this overhaul. All original boards no reheating or checking any. All sockets and flippers original nothing rebuilt
Essentially he's great at painting new cabinets forget about the actual parts that make the gamer work!
I would be very cautious with anything you buy from him.

#2 6 years ago

Sorry. That blows. Is this the one down in Florida?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from joefox22:

I would advise all to beware of any Pinball Pimp restoration. I paid a very high price for a "Pinball Pimp Restoration" when it arrived it looked perfect. Cabinet and head were perfect. I plugged the game in and immediately notice lights out and not functioning. They weren't burnt out bulbs the sockets were not active. I called and he said well when it left here it worked.
The next day I moved the game into my game room and played a few games on the third game while holding the ball on a flipper the game just completely died. Only the GI lights were functioning. All else dead. Found a 5a fuse blown in the power supply. Replaced it and half the game was still out including multiple switches and approx 19 lights. I called him no answer. Sent an email and FB message. No responses for 2 days. Then he didn't even return the call just sent me a long email about how games that are 40 years old have problems and traveling 1800 miles can cause major problems. Blah blah. "Everything worked while it was here". He hen suggested to get a local repair company and it probably wouldn't be any big deal and we can see what we can do after that. So a week later I had a company out. After 3-4 hours of working on the game replacing multiple transistors, replacing the wiring from the credit button that was somehow wired to a tilt switch. Multiple pins in connectors that were bad and it goes on. Ultimately $400 between parts and labor which to be honest in thought wasn't that bad for all the issues.
So I email the Pinball Pimp assuming he would just reimburse me since it was clear that no amount of travel etc could cause such adverse issues. What do I get? A bunch more blah blah about how it's not his fault and the game is old and travel and then wants to criticize the repair guy that he charges too much for 3-4 hours of labor and wanted a itemized bill for such insane charges. Come more to find out with this overhaul. All original boards no reheating or checking any. All sockets and flippers original nothing rebuilt
Essentially he's great at painting new cabinets forget about the actual parts that make the gamer work!
I would be very cautious with anything you buy from him.

I pretty much avoid buying any pinball machine I am either not standing in front of playing or that is NIB, all else is buyer be ware.

#4 6 years ago

BLUF: There are just more questions than answers presently, including the game title in question.

It is difficult to miss a credit switch wired to a slam tilt switch, inside a coin door, if a potential buyer has the chance to review high resolution photos. I have seen shunting done for other purposes, but once again I do not know the title, year, or manufacturer.

No one can have any idea, what if anything was checked from either party regarding this situation.
Every game has to be inspected fully upon arrival, not just put the legs on, drop a ball in, and turn on the power.
This looks like it occurred.
This is incredibly common, and incorrect startup procedures, as people forget to validate.
Even NIB games need to checked, but rarely private owners actually do what operators have done for decades.

An example:
On my EM Fireball (Bally, 1972) I had caramelization of the solder points lugs on the transformer which prevented the entire game from getting proper reliable power on receipt of the game. Conditions were "flaky". Resoldering after cleanup and full solder removal fixed the problem after diagnosis, but I could not blame the dealer, as he did not miss the problem, as it did not manifest itself. This was a very rare problem, most have never even heard of before which is entirely age related of a 45 year old game.

I and many others have done business with Jeff for over 20 years and about half the time I been the hobby in general.
I have not a had problem regarding service or products.
In fact, I just got another set of stencils less than month ago in under three days.
I can state others have had problems with his stencils, but much of it has to do with cabinet preparation and proper use, not materials or construction. Some simply do not read directions.

From experience I can share that transport of games can cause issues, especially if the electronics are not inspected in very early SS games, but not complete failed electronics unless there are grounding shorts, a game is dropped, or an owner reconnects the game improperly. I am omitting uncertified hacked repairs from this circumstance.

Maybe this would be an opportunity to learn some pinball restoration skills?
Buyer beware applies to every single pinball purchase.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Sorry. That blows. Is this the one down in Florida?

Yes in Florida

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

There are just more questions than answers presently, including the game title in question.
It is difficult to miss a credit switch wired to a slam tilt switch, inside a coin door, if a potential buyer has the chance to review high resolution photos. I have seen shunting done for other purposes, but once again I do not know the title, year, or manufacturer.
No one can have any idea, what if anything was checked from either party regarding this situation.
Every game has to be inspected fully upon arrival, not just put the legs on, drop a ball in, and turn on the power.
This looks like it occurred.
This is incredibly common, and incorrect startup procedures, as people forget to validate.
Even NIB games need to checked, but rarely private owners actually do what operators have done for decades.
An example:
On my EM Fireball (Bally, 1972) I had caramelization of the solder points lugs on the transformer which prevented the entire game from getting proper power on receipt of the game. Resoldering fixed the problem after diagnosis, but I could not blame the dealer, as he did not miss the problem, as it did not manifest itself. This was a very rare problem, most have never even heard of before.
I and many others have done business with Jeff for over 20 years of about half the time I in the hobby in general.
I have not a had problem regarding service or products.
In fact, I just got another set of stencils less than month ago in under three days.
I can state others have had problems with his stencils, but much of it has to do with cabinet preparation and proper use, not materials or construction.
From experience I can share that transport of games can cause issues, especially if the electronics are not inspected in very early SS games, but not failed electronics unless there are grounding shorts, a game is dropped, or an owner reconnects the game improperly.
Maybe this would be an opportunity to learn some pinball restoration skills?
Buyer beware applies to every single pinball purchase.

If you are going to call your self the "Pinball Pimp" and say that yiubdonHigh end restorations, then the game should be perfect especially for the price charged

Any video you watch about restorations will clearly show cleaning and reheating boards is a must. New power supply's fuses etc. wiring should be checked.
It doesn't matter the title or year etc

I fully expected responses defending him to be on here. But if your going to compare interactions when you bought stencils to a self titled "high end" restoration purchase I think you comparing apple and oranges.
Also to then critique a repair company and think they are "robbing" people after the game arrrives in the condition it did is
Adding insult to injury

At the end of the day but all the stencils you want but beware of putting out a bunch of money to someone who could care less what happens after the sale.

Also to say I should learn how to fix games, what does that have to do with anything. So I spend my time and money either way.

#7 6 years ago

For home use, they used to wire credits to the slam switch all the time, especially on Bally games because they did not have a freeplay setting (or did not know about the freeplay setting on a Williams).

Owners would imitate The Fonz and rack up credits by hitting the coin door and saying "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy".

Very common, your pintech should have recognized this mod.

What game was this?

#8 6 years ago

Pinball Pimp? Well, that's a classy business name.

#9 6 years ago

What game was it and what did you pay?
I've heard nothing but good things about pinball pimp, plus you have to expect to pay a high cost as you paid retail.

#10 6 years ago

Please tell us what efforts you made to resolve this privately with the seller before going public. I would never even listen to a dispute before knowing the answer to that question.

#11 6 years ago

I've never seen any of his restores other then pictures online so I can't comment on them. His stencils are top notch though, by far the best option available in my opinion.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Please tell us what efforts you made to resolve this privately with the seller before going public. I would never even listen to a dispute before knowing the answer to that question.

Quoted from joefox22:

I called him no answer. Sent an email and FB message. No responses for 2 days. Then he didn't even return the call just sent me a long email about how games that are 40 years old have problems and traveling 1800 miles can cause major problems. Blah blah. "Everything worked while it was here". He hen suggested to get a local repair company and it probably wouldn't be any big deal and we can see what we can do after that. So a week later I had a company out. After 3-4 hours of working on the game replacing multiple transistors, replacing the wiring from the credit button that was somehow wired to a tilt switch. Multiple pins in connectors that were bad and it goes on. Ultimately $400

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

If you actually read any of my comments you would see what I did privately and his responses

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

What game was it and what did you pay?
I've heard nothing but good things about pinball pimp, plus you have to expect to pay a high cost as you paid retail.

Silverball Mania $3600
Cabinet was immaculate beyond perfect. He did nothing else electronically speaking. There was a new Altek mpu board but all old connectiors pins etc. no leds and the other three boards were original cold solder all over the place.

His best response was "What do you want I'm not Chris Hutchins"

#15 6 years ago

I cant speak for what happened in Transport, or at your end, but I have personally seen and played a bunch of games on your machine at Jeffs house.....It worked flawlessly then...almost took it home.

This is not to say your problems arent real, but it seems more likely it left working, did have issues created in the move, and the repairs/perspective cascaded.

This means, IMO, that I am not saying you are wrong, etc. More like shit happens, your experience is not good, but 100% working as I played it...not a defective game shipped.

#16 6 years ago

3600 for a Silverball Mania....man, it better be pristine.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from joefox22:

All sockets and flippers original nothing rebuilt

For a 'high end' restoration you'd expect a full flipper rebuild.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It worked flawlessly then...almost took it home.

Could have been a completely different Silverball Mania that you played.

Quoted from joefox22:

Multiple pins in connectors that were bad

Shipping probably wasn't kind on those connectors, although I'm drawing a blank as to how the transistors got blown.

Quoted from joefox22:

cold solder all over the place.

Meh, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless I know it's going to have a common fault (DE PPB board or WMS J120) then I wouldn't rip the boards out just to reflow the solder. Although for the money you paid you'd expect a higher level of service, that's for sure.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from joefox22:

Silverball Mania $3600
Cabinet was immaculate beyond perfect. He did nothing else electronically speaking. There was a new Altek mpu board but all old connectiors pins etc. no leds and the other three boards were original cold solder all over the place.
His best response was "well I'm Chris Hutchins"

Have no clue what you are saying here or why my name is in there but it is definitely not me.
Pinball Pimp is Jeff Miller
High End Pins is Christopher Hutchins

Jeff has always been a great guy to deal with in terms of any business I have done with him so I am surprised to read anything negative.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from joefox22:

His best response was "well I'm Chris Hutchins"

What?! I dont understand this.

#20 6 years ago

Yes sorry his comment was actually " What do you want I'm Not Chris Hutchins" Comparing that you do great work and he doesn't live up tp your standard

#21 6 years ago

Thanks for the fix I was seriously confused.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from joefox22:

Yes sorry his comment was actually " What do you want I'm Not Chris Hutchins" Comparing that you do great work and he doesn't live up tp your standard

Here's the thing: When you're paying somebody for a restoration, you should expect them to TRY to emulate Chris. People don't even pay me for my restorations--I'm doing them for myself at this point--but if they did, I'd give them a machine that was as close to HEP as possible.

Jeff is a great asset to the pinball community - thank God for his cabinet stencils. They've brought 3 of my machines back to their original glory (actually, better!). Sorry you had a bad experience with him.

#23 6 years ago

No warranty on his work for even 30 days? I see CL ads all the time with overpriced pins for sale that at least include some sort of warranty.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

No warranty on his work for even 30 days? I see CL ads all the time with overpriced pins for sale that at least include some sort of warranty.

Agreed, there should be at least a 30 day warranty on the work.

#25 6 years ago

At 3600 it seems the pimp had a little wiggle room to perhaps offer to split the pin tech charge of $400... I think that would have been fair and probably would have put this to bed.

#26 6 years ago

No way, that kind of money, for a restored? silver mania? game should of been like new!
Should have to pay all the repair cost.

#27 6 years ago

Did you pay $3600 for the restored machine? Or just for the restoration services? For the restored machine, I'd say that wasn't bad, depending on what was done to it. You're looking at about $2k that's being charged to you for the restoration at that price. Not bad if he did the cabinet and a playfield swap.

I love people who bitch about restoration prices but have never done a full (and I mean FULL) restoration themselves. It's time-consuming, painstaking labor and takes a good 4 months to do it right. And it's worth every damned penny you pay for it when somebody takes their time.

#28 6 years ago

I totally agree with Beelzeboob!

#29 6 years ago

You got a $3600 pin , a full resto would have been much more.

#30 6 years ago

curious if that 3600 included shipping.

#31 6 years ago

Guessing this is it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/44458

Being a Florida boy, I don't personally know Jeff and have only bought stencils from him on one occasion.

FWIW, I've moved older Ballys two hundred miles and have had issues that were non-existent when I left the seller's house.

I also wouldn't be surprised if your tech screwed you, too. We've got some people down here that claim they repair pinball and, honestly, they don't know shit. The same people over quote repair estimates to try to get you to sell a game cheap so they can add nicer games to their collections and/or flip it.

I'd definitely ask for detailed breakdown. From there, you can compare what was wrong to what was repaired and get a true answer.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

FWIW, I've moved older Ballys two hundred miles and have had issues that were non-existent when I left the seller's house.

This is for sure true. I recently got a classic Bally that was played extensively by two buddies I know and trust. Fully working. I bought it and had it shipped to me (500 miles) and when it arrived it had multiple issues with solenoids and switches, took a couple days to get it sorted. Old games dont always take well to being transported, vibration, bumps, shifting around can cause new issues.

#33 6 years ago

I just took my Genie to Colorado (from Salt Lake City) for Pinball Showdown over the weekend. The move gave me a whole list of problems that had me working on my game for half the weekend. It wasn't until the end of the second day that I could let people play it freely (there was still some switch issue going on though) without fear that a coil would lock or the game would struggle in some game-breaking way. Moving an older game, even one that has just received a whole lot of attention, can cause big problems.

#34 6 years ago

Just looked at the pics, and I'd say that's a $3600 machine, easy. Not a fan of spraying the inside bottom of the cabinet, but to each his own. And I'm not sure the flippers were rebuilt (he says it's torn down "to the screw")...those plungers and switches don't look new, which comes in any good flipper rebuild kit.

BUT...the cabinet, hardware, and playfield are all gorgeous. I think even with the repair costs, you're still coming out ahead of the game.

If the game works now, play it and enjoy it, and try to let the bitterness go.

#35 6 years ago

Geez, after looking at the pics of this game i would not be complaining.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not a fan of spraying the inside bottom of the cabinet, but to each his own.

Yeah, I'd rather see the bare wood. Seeing it painted looks odd to me. But, that's my personal preference.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

BUT...the cabinet, hardware, and playfield are all gorgeous.

Yep, that all looks good.

However, for the price of the game, the boards should have been re-capped and bulletproofed.

#37 6 years ago

WOW... Seems like I need to defend myself so here is MY side of the story!

This game was restored, gone thru and was working when completed. The game was played by many different people for a demo game when they saw how nice it was and wanted to see it in action. OLDPINGUY did play this actual machine and is correct in saying "It worked flawlessly ". I HAVE VIDEO OF ME STARTING THE GAME WITH THE START BUTTON ON FRONT the day it left the shop.

This machine was for sale for $3600. The seller thought that this was way too much to spend on a game that looked and played this nice. So what did I do, I offered to SHIP the game to him and PAY the $400 shipping costs myself.

So I really got paid $3200 for this beautiful game! Let's break down the numbers.

Original nice SB machine = $1100
All new Alltek, all parts, plastics set, side rails, coin door skin, paint, etc. = $700 - $900 ( really never kept track)

That leaves about $1200 in labor for 80 hours of talented restore work.
OR $15 per hour... OR Minimum Wage!

Buyer says "when it arrived it looked perfect" but somewhere between Tampa and sellers home, moving it around, shipping vibration, extra week of shipping, move down to a basement, etc. ANYTHING could have happened! Originally it was "2 lights out and it isn't the bulbs". OK... I didn't replace all the light sockets, only when doing a complete playfield swap. A few days later it turned into the credit button not working, sling not working, now half the machine isn't working. I have no control of electronics once it leaves the shop, especially on these old 40 year old games. I explained to him IF it had ALL new PCB's and every PIN was re-pinned, the price would have been MUCH higher. Of the header pins were not re-flowed, I did not know and is something I need to ask my tech about. He doesn't work directly next to me. I tried to resolved it over the phone but the conversation got nowhere. I asked him what he would like for me to do for him, since I cannot fix a machine thousands of miles away thru the phone. I apologized for all the trouble he was having and in now way would I ever sell a pin like this that was half working. You can see by the photos on the ad how nice the machine is and why would I sell anything that looked this nice be half working?? I never in my listing said I re-pinned all plugs. I did replace at least 5 new housings with new pins. as for the START BUTTON being wired to the tilt, I have now idea. I just unplugged the big square plug and pulled the coin door for restore. I suggested that he find a tech, get it fixed, and we would go from there.

Days later I get an email saying the machine is up and running. 3 hours of repair cost him $400. I asked for an invoice detailing parts replaced, the cost of parts and what was done. If I am going to help resolved this, I want and invoice so I can go to my tech with it. It's hard to believe simple electronic pin repair costs $120+ per hour. Tampa charges $60 and guys in Miami charge $90 and I thinks that's a little ridiculous, but what do I know.

Emails go back and forth and the bitching continues. At this point, I feel nothing I say or do will make him happy. Then I get threatened with things like "Just remember it's a small community and word certainly does travel!" I think, Oh Shit... better check PinSide because I know what's coming.

He asked me "Let me know what you recommend as a solution"

I for the 2nd time asked him "what would you like for me to do for you?"

His final reply was "I want nothing from you I think you are a complete fraud and should find a new career. Don't contact me again"

So that's where it stands. I WAS GOING TO OFFER to cover some of the cost of repairs but he never game me the chance.

I am now going back to designing and cutting stencils for the rest of the world!

THE END

Pimp!

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballPimp:

WOW... Seems like I need to defend myself so here is MY side of the story!
This game was restored, gone thru and was working when completed. The game was played by many different people for a demo game when they saw how nice it was and wanted to see it in action. OLDPINGUY did play this actual machine and is correct in saying "It worked flawlessly ". I HAVE VIDEO OF ME STARTING THE GAME WITH THE START BUTTON ON FRONT the day it left the shop.
This machine was for sale for $3600. The seller thought that this was way too much to spend on a game that looked and played this nice. So what did I do, I offered to SHIP the game to him and PAY the $400 shipping costs myself.
So I really got paid $3200 for this beautiful game! Let's break down the numbers.
Original nice SB machine = $1100
All new Alltek, all parts, plastics set, side rails, coin door skin, paint, etc. = $700 - $900 ( really never kept track)
That leaves about $1200 in labor for 80 hours of talented restore work.
Buyer says "when it arrived it looked perfect" but somewhere between Tampa and sellers home, moving it around, shipping vibration, extra week of shipping, move down to a basement, etc. ANYTHING could have happened! Originally it was "2 lights out and it isn't the bulbs". OK... I didn't replace all the light sockets, only when doing a complete playfield swap. A few days later it turned into the credit button not working, sling not working, now half the machine isn't working. I have no control of electronics once it leaves the shop, especially on these old 40 year old games. I explained to him IF it had ALL new PCB's and every PIN was re-pinned, the price would have been MUCH higher. Of the header pins were not re-flowed, I did not know and is something I need to ask my tech about. He doesn't work directly next to me. I tried to resolved it over the phone but the conversation got nowhere. I asked him what he would like for me to do for him, since I cannot fix a machine thousands of miles away thru the phone. I apologized for all the trouble he was having and in now way would I ever sell a pin like this that was half working. You can see by the photos on the ad how nice the machine is and why would I sell anything that looked this nice be half working?? I never in my listing said I re-pinned all plugs. I did replace at least 5 new housings with new pins. as for the START BUTTON being wired to the tilt, I have now idea. I just unplugged the big square plug and pulled the coin door for restore. I suggested that he find a tech, get it fixed, and we would go from there.
Days later I get an email saying the machine is up and running. 3 hours of repair cost him $400. I asked for an invoice detailing parts replaced, the cost of parts and what was done. If I am going to help resolved this, I want and invoice so I can go to my tech with it. It's hard to believe simple electronic pin repair costs $120+ per hour. Tampa charges $60 and guys in Miami charge $90 and I thinks that's a little ridiculous, but what do I know.
Emails go back and forth and the bitching continues. At this point, I feel nothing I say or do will make him happy. Then I get threatened with things like "Just remember it's a small community and word certainly does travel!" I think, Oh Shit... better check PinSide because I know what's coming.
He asked me "Let me know what you recommend as a solution"
I for the 2nd time asked him "what would you like for me to do for you?"
His final reply was "I want nothing from you I think you are a complete fraud and should find a new career. Don't contact me again"
So that's where it stands. I WAS GOING TO OFFER to cover some of the cost of repairs but he never game me the chance.
I am now going back to designing and cutting stencils for the rest of the world!
THE END
Pimp!

Heeeeey!....I said it looked nice!

#39 6 years ago

If you were going to offer to pay for the repairs then you would have done so via email and phone when you had the chance. And we would have no issue. Now when it's on here you make the offfer. Instead what you did was criticize the company that fixed it by saying the price was too high as you are still doing. No amount of travel etc can cause wires to jump positions in the harnesses or various other issues that were simply not doing things during the restorations. As other people stated they can even see on the pics that the simplest of things like rebuilding flippers wasn't even done.
And I still think your a fraud. You know you didn't do the work that is causing the issues, you tried to take shortcut and it backfired. I gave you opportunity to fix it for a nominal amount of money and you chose to deface others that fixed your issues.
All should beware.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballPimp:

I knew you were overcharging

#41 6 years ago

Things happen during transport, when shipping or transferring a machine you just have to know this going in with a vintage machine. All I know is his stencils and customer service is top notch.

#42 6 years ago

Half the time I ship a SS machine, something goes wrong with it. Williams are the worst! So I really encourage buyers to come and collect, and only ship if I really have to.

I always shoot a quick video of the machine working, me or Danni playing a game on it, and run the camera around the machine quickly to show the condition of the machine before I wrap it up. Then it goes up on YouTube and I email the link to the buyer and say "here she is, all working 100% as it leaves here".

People have to realise these are fragile, brittle old 40 year old electronics. How many 40 year old TVs are still running? Not many.

rd

#43 6 years ago

If your TV is running you better go catch it

sorry for the worst joke ever

#44 6 years ago

Original price was $3600 and you were interested in buying it, now you have $3600 in it so what's the problem.

#45 6 years ago

Operator, can you patch me through to New Zealand???
Hello?
Dave?
Is your tv still running???

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

If your TV is running you better go catch it
sorry for the worst joke ever

I think you meant BEST joke ever...lol!

#47 6 years ago

I carried a restored Frontier home from Texas to Nashville, TN. Game worked flawlessly at TPF, but the 10 hour drive was rough and game had a handful of issues once I got it home. Nothing a hour of my time could not fix, but a few broken wires, 6-7 lights not working, etc... Just saying, things happen during transport. I have only known Jeff to always be a stand up guy from my experience.

#48 6 years ago

After all is said and done dude still only paid $3600.....he got the better end of the deal!! The game is gorgeous and I enjoy seeing PP's restores on his FB posts.

I gotta side with the Pinball Pimp on this one. After all....pimpin' ain't easy

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from joefox22:

Also to say I should learn how to fix games, what does that have to do with anything.

BLUF: This helps you to learn to troubleshoot and diagnosis game problems.

This will allow you to more expertly evaluate games and there original condition during the buying phase.
This will assist in teaching you what to looking for in the most common transport problems.
It also significantly reduces external repair costs.
Everytime games are shipped there is risk of vibrational damage, especially older SS titles due to the age of components, cold solder joints, and wiring.
A complete host of advantages.

Here is a very key point that you may not realize.
You list ownership of a fairly robust diversity of titles from a multitude of different manufacturers and eras whose designs are not identical.
However, many of the titles listed are less than two decades old, which is also very relevant when it comes to reliability of electronic components, integrated circuits, and semiconductors.
Maintaining a large collection can be expensive in the long run if a person does not know how to fix small problems.
Essentially problems compound over time until games become totally non operational.
More expensive than the games themselves, if an owner is paying someone to maintain them, and IF the technician is truly experienced, does not overcharge, and knows the manufacturers.
"Bulletproofing" old games is not repairing games (although it should be), and technicians that come out to fix games do not normally do this as is generally part of the restoration process, unless the technician does this out of his gracious support.
I have met people that are very savvy with one manufacturer, but have no idea on others, and it sometimes makes a big difference regarding game logic design of solid state boards and power supplies.
Some repair aspects are synonymous, some are not.
This is not case when it comes to EM games, even the score reel assemblies, except in a few rare unusual manufacturer cases.

I never expect people to understand how to do everything overnight, especially PCB repair, but basic repairs are essential.
I have seen this happen many times with other owners who become increasingly frustrated as more and more games they own stop working and eventually get out of the hobby entirely.
It simply becomes overwhelming, and they sell out.
I don't want that to happen to you, and I "spider sense" things.

The comment was not meant to be negative.

#50 6 years ago

I am from Florida and know Jeff personally. He did my cabinet restore on Monster Bash(it's the one on his site) and a recent BSD full ground up restoration(on his Facebook page). Trust me the prices btw the two are vastly different. My post certainly doesn't help you...I get that. You aren't happy...again I get that and respect that. But just felt compelled to share my experiences with Jeff. Respectfully, Charlie

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 169.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-pimp-review-must-read and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.