(Topic ID: 149987)

PINBALL PIMP Premium CABINET STENCILS - AVAILABLE NOW!

By PinballPimp

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 198 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 39 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 116 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160521_152010_(resized).jpg
20160522_205548_(resized).jpg
IMG_1091_(resized).JPG
storeWIZARD_(resized).jpg
storeFIREBALL_(resized).jpg
20160419_174628_(resized).jpg
IMG_3862_(resized).JPG
IMG_3858_(resized).JPG
IMG_3861_(resized).JPG
IMG_3855_(resized).JPG
IMG_3854_(resized).JPG
IMG_3853_(resized).JPG
IMG_3852_(resized).JPG
IMG_3851_(resized).JPG
IMG_3850_(resized).JPG
storeVIKING_(resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 4 years ago

LOST WORLD stencils are finished and ready for purchase.

http://pinballpimpstencils.com/?page_id=1944

storeLW_(resized).jpg

#102 4 years ago

Looks good. This will be the next machine I do ... In a few months.

Cheers for doing them.

rd

#103 4 years ago

Just finished putting Atlantis back together last night. I used automotive paint for the primer, base coat, splatter and stencils because it is so easy to work with and dries really fast. I then followed up with three coats of Minwax Polycrylic clear satin clear coat with light sanding in between coats. The final product is smooth as a baby's butt with no raised edges from the stencils.

20160203_233026_(resized).jpg

#104 4 years ago

I was asked to expand on the process and paints used on the Atlantis in the previous post. First of all I will start with the "before" picture. This is what the game looked like when I got it (LOL):

Before

I spent a while trying to figure out why the cabinet looked like this. People conjectured that it was swapped into this cabinet because of termites in the original cabinet. There were a bunch of other theories.

Anyway, first thing I do when stenciling a cabinet is to sand off the old art work. Next up putty, replace the bottom, glue and/or what ever else it takes to make the cabinet smooth as can be and sound structurally. In this case as I was sanding the "art" off I found the original Atlantis art with the fish beneath the outer paint. There was some graffiti in a few places, so I guess someone painted the whole cabinet just to cover that up! Why go through all that work and not put decent art let alone the original art is amazing.

Next step is deciding what paint to use. Some choices I have heard of are: automotive paint with HVLP sprayer, rattle cans or even a roller and house paint. Being the type of person who can't stand to spend $50 when I can spend $200, I went with the automotive paint. As I mentioned previously automotive paint is easy to work with, coats fast and dries really fast. Not to mention the stencils pull off without tearing the edges or peeling up.

I got my paint from the local auto paint shop. All they sell is car paint and the supplies and tools needed to apply them. I'm partially color blind, so I took my laptop to the shop so the paint mixer could look at pictures of Atlantis that I had accumulated and help pick colors. Rather than create custom colors, we chose standard colors from a huge database that closely matched what I needed. This will let me go back and get more if I ever need to. When they mixed the paints, I had them thin them with the proper flow agents to make them "ready to spray". This saved me from this science project.

Primer - The automotive primer is a "high solids" formula. This means it hardly shrinks as it dries and helps fill in the wood grain. I recommend 2 or 3 coats with light sanding in between. The reason being the primer is by far the cheapest part of automotive paint and you want to get a good solid prime and help smooth the cabinet and cover anything that might bleed back through. I use the HVLP sprayer for this.

Base Coat - This is the base color that gets painted over the primer. In the case of Atlantis the base is white. I use the HVLP sprayer for this. A couple of good coats with light sanding in between to knock down dust spots should do it. I should note that I am in no hurry when I do this, so I only paint surfaces that are facing straight up to the ceiling. This keeps the paint from running. So I put the cabinet on one side along with the head and paint the surfaces facing up with two coats. The next chance I get, I flip the cabinet and head and paint the other side. And so on...

Spatter coat - For Atlantis there are black specks on the cabinet. I put black paint on a toothbrush or nylon brush and run my finger over it to fling the speck onto the cabinet. Once again I only do upward facing surfaces to prevent running.

Sand - At this point you want to do a very careful sanding of the cabinet to knock down the height of any irregularities and also the black specks to where they are very low slung. The reason sanding is critical at this point is once you put on the stencil colors, if you sand at all and there is dust or high spots that get sanded off, you will suddenly have white spots in the colored areas...

Stencil colors - There are usually two stencil colors and go on in a specific order. For this you need very little paint because the total area is very small. I bought the red and green in the smallest size possible (once again, ready to spray). For spraying the stencils I use Preval sprayers. They work great for this detail work. Once again I spray only surfaces spraying face up. When done I empty the Preval back into the paint can and run some Laquer Thinner through the Preval to keep it clean for the next use. amazon.com link »

Clear Coat - This step is optional but I like to seal and protect the stencil job. I use Minwax Polycrylic because it is water based and works right out of the can in my HVLP with no thinning. Before the first coat I use 400 sandpaper very lightly around the edges of the stencil colors to smooth the transition. Then three thick coats with 320 grit sanding in between. Once again only surfaces facing up.

So that is about it. Because I do things slow, I end up spending a half an hour here and there over the course of a week to incrementally get the painting done without risking runs.

20160204_191657_(resized).jpg

#105 4 years ago

Thanks for that write-up and the pics, it looks great.

#106 4 years ago

Jeff, your awesome man. Your Resto's are some of the best I've seen. You need to come up to Southern Fried Gaming Expo in Atlanta this year.

Victor...

#107 4 years ago

John, Great write up on the paint tips and details. Victor, I plan to start doing some of this pinball shows this year with a booth set up. Texas and Atlanta are on my list.

#108 4 years ago

Williams GORGAR has been added to the ever expanding list of PIMP stencils!

image_(resized).jpeg

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballPimp:

John, Great write up on the paint tips and details. Victor, I plan to start doing some of this pinball shows this year with a booth set up. Texas and Atlanta are on my list.

Fantastic, looking forward to seeing you there!

#110 4 years ago

Looking forward to ordering Captain Fantastic ones for my project this Spring.

#111 4 years ago

A chilling game of skill!

Stern_Catacomb_cab.scan_(resized).jpg

#112 4 years ago

I'm on a WIDEBODY roll. FUTURE SPA has been added to the site. PARAGON is next since it's also widebody. All artwork has been vectorized, I will spend this week cleaning it up. SPACE INVADERS will be added to the site as well.

storeFS_(resized).jpg

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballPimp:

PARAGON is next since it's also widebody.

nice! This means I need to get ready for a Spring restoration!

1 week later
#114 4 years ago

These stencils look great - like the titles!

Any chance on doing stencils for Williams Blackout? I don't have a game yet, but starting to look for one...

#115 4 years ago

Bally_Spectrum_Scans_copy_(resized).jpg

#116 4 years ago

Bump & follow

#117 4 years ago

Stern_Ali_cabinet.scan_(resized).jpg

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballPimp:

I'm on a WIDEBODY roll. FUTURE SPA has been added to the site. PARAGON is next since it's also widebody. All artwork has been vectorized, I will spend this week cleaning it up. SPACE INVADERS will be added to the site as well.

storeFS_(resized).jpg

Paragon soon?

#119 4 years ago

I just picked up a paragon that needs to be stenciled. I'm looking at doing the alternate color scheme. I may try rattle cans for all but the primer and clear coat.

#120 4 years ago

Bally_Wizard_cabinet_(resized).jpg

#121 4 years ago

By far the best product on the Market .

Jeff how about GENIE !

20160223_144514_(resized).jpg

20160128_135949_(resized).jpg

#122 4 years ago

Jeff did make the Stencils for a 66 williams pitch n bat, the Short stop was another source which were a nightmare to install etc. Best thing is the stencils are made by a guy who restores games and knows the process of applying them. Medusa, Stones up next !

Thanks Jeff

20141228_152218_(resized).jpg

20160117_125049_(resized).jpg

#123 4 years ago

Waiting for Ron KRUZMAN to clear nos playfield 4 Super Sonic , EK done

20151026_091219_(resized).jpg

#124 4 years ago

Very nice whitey

#125 4 years ago

Jeff-
Would it be possible to make stencils for Space Shuttle? I'm going to need to repaint the cab and backbox soon, before tjhe playfield swap is complete.
Greg

#126 4 years ago

Sorry- before THE playfield swap is complete.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballPimp:

Just went looking for the paragon on your site, how close are you from having these?

#128 4 years ago

May I request "Jumping Jack" for future development?

Also x2 on Paragon's update.

#129 4 years ago

Ok guys... just been super busy pumping out stencils and handling other restorations.

I just added 5 new titles and tons more on the way. I will be out of the shop on vacation from March 16th - March 24th.
ALL STENCIL ORDERS PLACED within this time frame will be cut in order they were received beginning on Monday, March 28th.

storePARAGON_(resized).jpgstoreSHUTTLE_(resized).jpgstorePAC_(resized).jpgstoreCATACOMB_(resized).jpgstoreQC_(resized).jpg

#130 4 years ago

Just ordered the Paragon stencils. The next one I need to order will be Skateball. Thanks Pinball Pimp!

#131 4 years ago

Thanks Pimp!

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Just ordered the Paragon stencils. The next one I need to order will be Skateball. Thanks Pinball Pimp!

Thanks for ordering!

#133 4 years ago

Melody / sing along
please!!!

#134 4 years ago

Any flight 2000 in the plan?

#135 4 years ago

Catacomb is awesome. Can't explain why, but it's my favorite cabinet artwork.

Thanks for these, I need Space Shuttle for sure.

#136 4 years ago

I have Flight 2000 scans... they will be done soon

#137 4 years ago
#138 4 years ago

FLIGHT 2000 stencils are DONE and on my site!

http://pinballpimpstencils.com/?page_id=2177

storeF2000_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#139 4 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

These stencils look great - like the titles!
Any chance on doing stencils for Williams Blackout? I don't have a game yet, but starting to look for one...

Yes!!
Someone please send Jeff scans of Blackout.....mine needs done badly, so not a good candidate for good scans.

#140 4 years ago

I've got a Six Million Dollar Man to do soon . One thing that I've noticed with the artwork on 6M$M is that the stripes carry on from the front ( coindoor ) side of the cabinet around onto the top corner of the cabinet sides . The stripes carry around but the top star does not . I know that is how it was originally made but think it would look better if it did . The star may look a little off because of the corner but if one section of artwork carries around shouldn't the rest ?

Jeff , any chance you could draw this up to see what it looks like ?

1a9aa6446d3868e69b81bede35997899a59c8aa6_(resized).jpg

#141 4 years ago

This is one of the best threads on Pinside!

#142 4 years ago

hey there, have had to do an Aladdin castle yet?

#143 4 years ago

All stencils I have are on my site. I'm not secretly holding any back.

#145 4 years ago

Hey Pimp. What are you recommending for a spatter color for mid-70's Bally cabinets (Captain Fantastic)? From what I can see, it is a fairly watered down thin black. Will be ordering some stencils from you soon.

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from johnnycruzr:

Yes!!
Someone please send Jeff scans of Blackout.....mine needs done badly, so not a good candidate for good scans.

I can scan one in about 2-3 weeks.

2 weeks later
#147 3 years ago

Bally VIKING has been added to the site. Working on SPACE INVADERS, FIREBALL, WIZARD, SPECTRUM, SUPERMAN, ALI, LIGHTNING and CENTIGRADE 37.

storeVIKING_(resized).jpg

#148 3 years ago

Okay, pardon the idiot question, I saw a few posts about paint, except..

Is there a lit of the actual colors to use? (i.e. "Red" is fine, but there are a lot of 'Red's out there..!)

#149 3 years ago

Anybody know where Jacks Open/Lucky Hand stencils can be found? I don't think PP carries them...

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Anybody know where Jacks Open/Lucky Hand stencils can be found? I don't think PP carries them...

I will have Jacks Open/Lucky Hand very soon. getting scans this week hopefully

There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside