Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dos_reboot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Pinball Pete’s is running a GoFundMe to help make it through the pandemic. If you’re not familiar, they have arcades in Ann Arbor and East Lansing, Michigan. It’s where I fell in love with pinball over 20 years ago, and I can’t be the only one who can say that. If you have fond memories at Pete’s please consider chipping in. They have some cool swag, too.

https://gofund.me/2f27ef1f

#2 3 years ago

best luck in these hard times

#3 3 years ago

Probably the coolest arcade that I have ever been to. Man, if you can help these guys out please do.

#4 3 years ago

Spent a _lot_ of time there. $$$ sent.

#5 3 years ago

They seem to be doing fine with all those new LE pinball machines, Wow.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

Assuming Pinball Map info close, 20 LEs between both locations. Sell them and get pros later would net $50K in savings maybe? Who knows, hard to know the details of how they operate so trying not to assume too much. Hopefully they figure it out somehow.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

How else do you entice people to come out and play? This is like saying "How could that pizza shop be going out of business, I see tons of cheese and pepperoni everywhere"

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How else do you entice people to come out and play? This is like saying "How could that pizza shop be going out of business, I see tons of cheese and pepperoni everywhere"

I do not think that is a good analogy. I am donating because I patronize small business whenever possible, but I disagree that LE models are prudent for most any commercial locations. The pinball connoisseur(the folks preferring Premium or LE), are not going to keep them in business in the best of times, and most Pro models are more than good enough to meet the needs of casual players.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheCoinSlotTC:

Assuming Pinball Map info close, 20 LEs between both locations. Sell them and get pros later would net $50K in savings maybe? Who knows, hard to know the details of how they operate so trying not to assume too much. Hopefully they figure it out somehow.

I think they get some sort of deal on LE's... they are a "Stern Ambasador" ... whatever that means. They may not even own them. Whatever. It is an absolutely awesome place where you can go to play a huge variety of games - not just pros - and the workers are awesome. If you have an issue with them owning LE's you don't have to donate... but this place is epic I would hate to see them start to get picked apart.

#11 3 years ago

I was there on the day that they opened. I think that the year was about 1975.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

I was there on the day that they opened. I think that the year was about 1975.

Where was the first location? I remember they had three little ones scattered around Ann Arbor before the big one opened.

#13 3 years ago

yes I spent many a days at Pinball Petes in EL. Hot Tamales and 25cent cokes all day long.

#14 3 years ago

So here is a bit of a run down of the place. I am in Ann Arbor a few times a year, so we get to Pinball Pete's when we can....

The main reason that we go is that my daughter and my nephews love the place. They would rather go there than play laser tag or go to any of the other places in the A^2 area. They are all under 12... and Pinball Pete's does all of the things to make it fun for kids. They hand out free candy, they round their tickets up for redemption games (and/or just gives them a bunch of free tickets).

The place is absolutely packed with games from every decade from the 70's and up. It is the type of place that most of us would love to own.... it is what many of us try to emulate in our own collections. It is a true arcade... they aren't selling beer and pizza... it is just a traditional arcade a' la what you would have seen in the early 80's.

#15 3 years ago

Never been there but it sounds very cool like an Aladdin's Castle on steroids which is where I started playing in the late 70's

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Where was the first location? I remember they had three little ones scattered around Ann Arbor before the big one opened.

I wonder if he's talking Ann Arbor or East Lansing, as I always assumed EL was first.

Anyway, I always assumed South U was first in A2...little more info

Quoted from TheLaw:

They didn't, they gained more spaces.
    South University Petes expanded/absorbed Spectrum Jewlers next door, and finally closed doors after getting the basement space across the street in The Galleria Mall. It burned down years after it was closed...total shithole and some "interesting" people living upstairs.
    "Upstairs" Petes on William, old Micky Rats as seen above, closed in probably late 1999. Some silly employees playing cards for quarters on the pool table may or may not have had anything to do with it, but the police did take evidence and contact owners (you may or may not be welcome for that).
    Petes moved in to Packard location after taking over for Tony who also owned a Players Choice in Northville. Tony still owns a camera shop in Livonia last I heard...I bought my RBION from him after unknowingly answering a CL add.
    Before Tony Brad owned it when it was named "Double Focus," as the owner owned a camera shop "Focus Photo" in town.
    Petes dumped that location and I think moved those games to Galleria & South U Petes...probably around 97-98?
    At the height there were 4 Petes in Ann Arbor, 1 in East Lansing, and 1 in Lansing.
    That space has been absorbed by Expresso Royale/Atlanta Bread Company...whatever the hell is there now.
    This was in addition to many other arcade locations in town over the years.
    Study Break in the Union, Simulation Station, Great Escape, Bicycle something,

"upstairs" is now a weed shop which is fitting

#17 3 years ago

Please consider donating to this. I grew up in the area and it's a very special place.

#18 3 years ago

My memory of those times is a little foggy, so I’m not sure if I remember everything correctly. The first Pinball Petes was on S. University directly across the street from where it is now. It was in an old, white storefront building that I think burned down about 10 years ago. It was told that the one in Lansing was already open. Later, they opened a second location on the west side of town, possibly on Church St. or Maynard St. The location across the street opened a couple of years later, but I don’t remember if it was downstairs or on the main level. The two locations on S. University were open at the same time.

#19 3 years ago

Sad that only big corps are getting the handouts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-petes-gofundme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.