8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Buzz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

My wife and I just had a pinball party last weekend with 40 people at our house, 38 of whom were not previously very pinheaded. I reviewed the forum here for some format ideas. Our party was derivative of some of those ideas in some ways, and different in others. Here is the run-down of what we did and what we learned.

We divided up into two-person teams (mostly spouses in this instance). Each team played three games against other two-person teams in 4-player games in "pool play." Then, we seeded teams for a single-elimination tournament bracket based on how they did in pool play. The 1st and 2nd place teams (with championship game) and 3rd and 4th place teams (with consolation game) ended up playing a total of 8 games, including pool play and the tournament. The format was basically modeled after the Saturday-Sunday softball tournaments when I coached my daughter's teams.

I think we had enough games for a decent tournament but not so many that everyone was overwhelmed with pinball. The entire tournament ran about 4 hours with people playing at a fairly leisurely pace and stopping for conversation, food and refreshments.

The lineup was . . . every machine I have, depending on what machine was assigned to a team in pool play or tournament play. I managed to not have most people play games on any machine more than once. The championship and consolation games were played on Game of Thrones LE, which had just arrived a couple of days earlier.

We combined the pinball party with a whisky tasting (several different Laphroaigs in case anyone is interested; I would probably provide more spacing in future tastings as some of the Laphroaigs were a bit too similar to some palates). I had a bar in the middle of the action and just stayed there to converse, pour whisky and receive win-loss reports from the party goers.

I posted pool play pairings so everyone could find their opponents and play whenever they were ready. For pool play, I initially had everyone turn in game cards with winner and scores, but I decided it was much easier to just ask them on their honor what their record was in pool play - same thing once we got to the tournament. I did not track scores as all of the machines are different, although high scores on individual machines could have been an extra prize or recognition category if I put the effort into it.

The prizes, some derived from ideas in other posts here, were 1st prize: whiskey tasting glasses, scratch off lottery ticket, whiskey mini-bottle, pinball, in a little Christmas stocking, 2nd/3rd/4th place: same without tasting glasses.

In the end, we had our hands full with 40 people, but it was manageable. Here are some things I learned:

1. People need to be told how to activate multi-player and to play in ball/player sequence; I had a few instances where player 1 played through ball 1 for all of players 1-4 before they figured out something was not right.

2. Two players who had not seen multiball before advised me that my machines were broken. So, I need to let people know a little bit more about what to expect.

3. Newbies can have a pretty fun time if the pinball pace is leisurely and not too over the top.

4. Everyone has a different favorite game based on my polling, and none of them coincided with mine (TWD).

So, it was a really fun night. We might do it again next year.

#2 8 years ago

Pretty nice lineup of games!

#3 8 years ago

Nice mix of games

#4 8 years ago

Pics or it didn't happen.

#5 8 years ago

That sounds like a really fun time and it's amazing non pinheads did it too. Great job.

#6 8 years ago

I'm impressed that you guys have 40 friends ....

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I was going to say the same thing, us pinball guys arn't known for being social.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Well, a bunch of them were from work plus spouses. They were not compelled to come but, yes, it would be tough to put together 40 close friends.

#9 8 years ago

Please show some pics, are they all in one space? My small collection is spread over two rooms.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-party-no-not-tspp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.