Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pninja005
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-538.jpg
    20141022_221540.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Hi,

I've tried to order some wear area protectors on pinball pal website but it seems it's not possible to order anymore.
    After some research on the forum, I've read that Mark Clayton, business owner, was recovering from stroke and he's not running pinball pal anymore.

First of all, I hope his recovery is going better and better, there is a 11 month old message in that direction, so keep going Mark !

Second, where can I find the best substitute for the playfield wear area protectors offered by Pinball Pal ?

Thanks
    Leo.

1 week later
    #2 9 years ago

I believe the Avery vinyl sheets are the same.

2 weeks later
    #3 9 years ago

I'm trying to find the right Avery Sheets on Amazon, but I can't find any that are removable. Does anyone know which ones they are exactly?

#4 9 years ago

you can get the sheets from an office supply store. I get them from Staples for something like 29c a sheet.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks--but what are they called exactly? Removable vinyl sheets? I just want to make sure I get the right thing and don't ruin my playfield

#6 9 years ago

the stuff I've been getting is used for removable window cling decals. Not sure what they call it.

#8 9 years ago

The stuff I buy is from their copying department. It's a vinyl cling and I buy it by the sheet as they didn't carry it in a pack like that. Sorry not more specific I just don't want to say it is what I got and then turns out it is not. The stuff I get is not
    A decal.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks! It's good to know it's not a prepackaged product.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from boatofcar:

Thanks! It's good to know it's not a prepackaged product.

You can also buy it in various package sizes from Amazon. Just search for cling vinyl. Not sure it's the same as the Pinball Pal stuff though. I thought they sold pre-cut Mylar pieces for the playfield. My experience is that the cling vinyl will be too thick and won't hold up anywhere there is heavy ball traffic.

#12 9 years ago

I have had mine on my LOTR for the past 5 years and SM for almost 4. No issues with wear and tear yet. They are HUO so they aren't beat down on a constant basis though. They should take that site down since unfortunately it doesn't seem if they will go back in business.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

They should take that site down since unfortunately it doesn't seem if they will go back in business.

Some web hosts keep up sites that have not been renewed for years.

i have an old site that I have not paid for in 6 years and it is still hosted.

I've emailed the hosting company to take it down (I'm locked out) and they never respond.

#14 9 years ago

The Pinball Pal "removable" protectors are bullshit. They ruined my NGG playfield. They started to bubble over time, and when I tried to remove them, they pulled up the insert art. If you're gonna use mylar, just use real mylar and freeze it off if you need to down the road.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

The Pinball Pal "removable" protectors are bullshit. They ruined my NGG playfield. They started to bubble over time, and when I tried to remove them, they pulled up the insert art. If you're gonna use mylar, just use real mylar and freeze it off if you need to down the road.

Did you use heat like with a hair drier and follow through with that Orange Power Cleaner/Degreaser Spray remover sold at pinrestore.com? I've had great success with this method (but not after going through the school of hard knocks regarding mylar removal).

I even use this method on Diamond Plate era playfields where supposedly the freeze spray method works great. But, sometimes the freeze method doesn't work great. Heat and the Orange Power Cleaner/Degreaser Spray remover (do not use Goo Gone - its not the same quality. Instant fail!).

And of clearly you cannot just simply pull off the "mylar" - whether its labelled "removable" or not.

I won't be so bold as to say removing mylar with freeze spray is "amateur hour". Its a novel idea and when it works it works great. Its a "possible" quick fix for Diamond Plated playfields.

But, if you want 100% success with zero art/paint loss, heat via a hair dryer and the Orange Power Cleaner/Degreaser Spray is the way to go. Use the heat, get a little lifting, spray the orange stuff under the part that's lifted. Apply more heat, lift a little more, spray more Orange remover, more heat, etc.... until the 'mylar' is removed. Then simply wipe away the rest of the glue residue.

Go slowly and take your time. Don't rush it.

Again, you will not have the same success with Goo Gone. I have not had success with that product. You need this (scroll down on the page):

Orange Power Cleaner/Degreaser Spray:

http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

I've done a lot - and I mean a lot - of mylar removal playfields from the 1970s to the 2000s. The above method is the only one I have repeated 100% success without any (and when I say zero, I mean zero) artwork removal.

Heat, Orange Power Cleaner/Degreaser Spray, go SLOWLY == Success!

As Hans would say, "Hear me now and believe me later...".

#16 9 years ago

So...the pinball pal removable protectors are in fact mylar and not vinyl?

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from boatofcar:

I'm trying to find the right Avery Sheets on Amazon, but I can't find any that are removable. Does anyone know which ones they are exactly?

Avery brand self adhesive laminate 8 1/2 X 11 sheets (found in any office supply store).

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from boatofcar:

So...the pinball pal removable protectors are in fact mylar and not vinyl?

The consensus is the pinball pall is "cling vinyl" not mylar. Rarehero was saying to use caution removing the cling vinyl because it messed up his playfield. You can't get the pinball pall stuff anymore but you can get the vinyl cling in sheets from Amazon. It's called "Grafix 9-Inch-by-12-Inch Cling Film Clear, 6-Pack" There are other "cling vinyl" products too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J6CO9I/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/192-1918443-2979702

This stuff goes on good. Your mileage may vary in removal. I haven't tried removal but you can bet I'm using heat or cold after reading Rarehero's post.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Avery brand self adhesive laminate 8 1/2 X 11 sheets (found in any office supply store).

That's different stuff. The "Self Adhesive Laminating Strips" are "permanent" and actually have a glue/adhesive on the underside. The vinyl cling just goes on by static cling. Think "colorforms" from when we were kids.

#20 9 years ago

I've freeze sprayed 2 pinbots, a space shuttle and a bride of pinbot and had zero art loss with any of them.

#21 9 years ago

Remember that the plasticizers in vinyl can leach out and ruin surfaces they are in contact with.

Mylar does not leach out any Plasticizers.

Ask any baseball card or comic collector how those vinyl "protectors" worked out for them.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

The consensus is the pinball pall is "cling vinyl" not mylar. Rarehero was saying to use caution removing the cling vinyl because it messed up his playfield. You can't get the pinball pall stuff anymore but you can get the vinyl cling in sheets from Amazon. It's called "Grafix 9-Inch-by-12-Inch Cling Film Clear, 6-Pack" There are other "cling vinyl" products too.
    amazon.com link »
    This stuff goes on good. Your mileage may vary in removal. I haven't tried removal but you can bet I'm using heat or cold after reading Rarehero's post.

I'll be using it to try and mitigate the damage on an already worn playfield:

20141022_221540.jpg20141022_221540.jpg

so I'm willing to give it a shot. Thanks for the exact thing I need to look for!

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

I've freeze sprayed 2 pinbots, a Space Shuttle and a Bride of Pinbot and had zero art loss with any of them.

same, freeze spray with goo gone... worked for me. just gotta take it real slow with plastic razorblades.

#24 9 years ago

Urgh! NOT the old "*I* remove mylar this way" argument again!!! (kidding)

I think I read on an old post that there is a material that guitarists use to protect their guitars from pick scratches - this stuff won't yellow or curl, etc. May want to check that out, I have an old Taxi I'm working on and am looking for something to place around wear areas also.......

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

amazon.com link »

I've used this stuff and it was thick enough to effect ball travel. Do they make it in various thicknesses?

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

I've freeze sprayed 2 pinbots, a Space Shuttle and a Bride of Pinbot and had zero art loss with any of them.

That's my point, really...this stuff sold as "removable" really isn't. I've frozen mylar off 6 or 7 playfields without damaging the art....yet this "removable" stuff ripped off the art! When I saw it start to rip the art off, I tried freezing...but it didn't matter...it the adhesive didn't seem to freeze and separate like regular mylar. So, what I'm saying is - if you want to protect an area of your playfield, just use regular mylar...don't bother with vinyl or "removable" stuff.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

That's different stuff. The "Self Adhesive Laminating Strips" are "permanent" and actually have a glue/adhesive on the underside. The vinyl cling just goes on by static cling.

Yes it has adhesive--so did Pinball Pal's.

This topic was discussed numerous times several years ago on RGP and it was mentioned the Avery stuff is clearer than Fellows or Pendaflex.

Static cling isn't going to work in the small graduated curve of a shooter lane.

Just freeze it off or use the heat method with Orange Power like BayouBilly mentioned.

Or just use real Mylar like the manufacturers.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Remember that the plasticizers in vinyl can leach out and ruin surfaces they are in contact with.
    Mylar does not leach out any Plasticizers.
    Ask any baseball card or comic collector how those vinyl "protectors" worked out for them.

Any concern with diamond plate?

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Any concern with diamond plate?

Who knows what plasticizers they use with all the different brands of vinyl?

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Leo13:

Hi,
    I've tried to order some wear area protectors on pinball pal website but it seems it's not possible to order anymore.
    After some research on the forum, I've read that Mark Clayton, business owner, was recovering from stroke and he's not running pinball pal anymore.
    First of all, I hope his recovery is going better and better, there is a 11 month old message in that direction, so keep going Mark !
    Second, where can I find the best substitute for the playfield wear area protectors offered by Pinball Pal ?
    Thanks
    Leo.

I spoke to a friend of Mark's at a show last spring, I asked how he was and his friend said he's not well at all. Had more stroke damage. It's sad, I met Mark and he's a great guy and was a great asset to this hobby.

#31 9 years ago

image-538.jpgimage-538.jpg

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

amazon.com link »

I can confirm that this product did not adhere to my EM playfield at all. My guess is that you need some sort of clearcoat for it to stick. Just a word of warning to those with EMs!

3 years later
    #33 6 years ago

Anyone has a replacement for the original pinball pal cabinet decals?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-pal-stealth-playfield-area-protectors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.