Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Tommi_Gunn
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Hey folks,

Quick question, and sorry if this has been covered to death. I searched for "newbies", "beginners," and "dummies," and didn't find what I was looking for.

Is there a one-stop cover-all website or book that teaches everything someone would need to know before, during, and after buying a pinball machine? And I mean EVERYTHING. Like the sort of thing you'd expect if there were a "Pinball Ownership for Dummies" book.

I found this:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/step-by-step-guides-for-newbies

And it's somewhat helpful, but I want something that talks to me like I am four. I love detail and cringe at ambiguity and trial-and-error.

"4. Get it home." - How do I do that? What is a safe way to pack and ship a machine? How do I get it from the curb to inside my apartment when I assume it is pretty heavy? (i.e. a dolly? what sort?) Do I need little cushions for the feet to avoid scratching the floor wherever I place it? etc. etc. etc.

"14. Wax the play field." - I understand this sentence conceptually but have NO clue what it actually means.

Anyway, these questions are rhetorical examples, not asking anyone to try to teach me yourself (unless you really want to). A book or website recommendation would be awesome.

I saw the Mr. Pinball guide table of contents mentions an Appendix that's a guide on collecting machines but I don't know if it's as detailed as what I'm hoping for. Also, maybe what I'm hoping for doesn't exist?

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

No one stop cure all for learning.

Pinball News . com has some excellent articles. As does Pinwiki.

And try and meet local collectors or hit shows.

The more you meet, the more you learn, the better off you will be.

And if you have a specific question you can't find on Google, YouTube, old RGP or Pinside archives. Post here and ask.

LTG

#4 11 years ago

Welcome to the hobby. Because pins have been around for close to 100 years, there is simply far too much information out there to have it compiled in one place.

It's best to go into it with the attitude that you know you're going to make some mistakes. You can't research every nuance of every situation that will come up in this hobby. My advice would be to start with a cheaper title, so your mistakes will be less costly. Cut your teeth on an older SS machine to learn the basics.

Or if you're loaded, just splurge and pay someone to do all the work for you!

Personally, my collection has consisted of lower end titles for that reason. (also because I can't afford the A-list games) But, I've got the good fortune to have places like SS Billiards nearby so I can get my fix of top-tier games whenever I like.

Learn by doing. Accept that you are going to make mistakes. Don't be afraid to ask for help in specific situations. RGP and Pinwiki are tremendous resources. Talk to collectors. PM those in your area and ask if they want to go play on location and have a beer.

It's a great hobby. Have fun.

#5 11 years ago

Great website! Thanks for linking! I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I've been browsing through and it's got tons of information.

Thanks also to @LTG and @tonymiddendorf!

I am certainly not loaded. I've been kicking myself for not jumping on a Mousin' Around I saw on Craigslist for $750 not too long ago. I don't have any passion for that machine, but it would be great practice and the videos I've watched of it online make it look fun.

#6 11 years ago

This is the book I started with and found it very useful in the beginning.

Pinball Machine Care and Maintenance, by Bear Kamoroff

http://www.pbresource.com/books.html

#7 11 years ago

This is a link to a download page on a torrent site. The download consists of a ton of usefull information ranging service manuals to repair guides written by clay to several books on pinball ownership. The old link to let you view online no longer works but this will put a hard copy on your computer. It's confusing(for me). My wife had to download the file for me. Apparently I need computers for dummies. Lol. Here it is if you can figure it out.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6337010/pinrepair.com_Pinball_Machine_Repair_Guides___And_other_misc_Pin

#8 11 years ago

Also, a lot of opinion is involved in some things. For example, to wax a playfield, you put playfield wax on it, and rub in circles until it's shiny. People will argue 'til the cows come home over which wax you should use. My boss thinks wildcat pinball wax is fine, while everyone here would flip if they saw him using it. I like to use Novus #2, but I'm sure someone is rolling their eyes at that and thinking I'm an idiot for not using milwax. So if you see conflicting information, don't panic.

#9 11 years ago

I used the articles on this site to help me at the beginging. You'll outgrow it quickly - but good place to get started.

#10 11 years ago

Best course of action is to research the hell out of a title (or list of titles) you want. Figure out what system it is on. What seems to be common issues with said game. How they are fixed. Etc. Then leap in head first and find one. I'm sure everyone has mentioned pinrepair and pinwiki already.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

This is a link to a download page on a torrent site. The download consists of a ton of usefull information ranging service manuals to repair guides written by clay to several books on pinball ownership. The old link to let you view online no longer works but this will put a hard copy on your computer. It's confusing(for me). My wife had to download the file for me. Apparently I need computers for dummies. Lol. Here it is if you can figure it out.
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6337010/pinrepair.com_Pinball_Machine_Repair_Guides___And_other_misc_Pin

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Also, a lot of opinion is involved in some things. For example, to wax a playfield, you put playfield wax on it, and rub in circles until it's shiny. People will argue 'til the cows come home over which wax you should use. My boss thinks wildcat pinball wax is fine, while everyone here would flip if they saw him using it. I like to use Novus #2, but I'm sure someone is rolling their eyes at that and thinking I'm an idiot for not using milwax. So if you see conflicting information, don't panic.

I hear you. It's not easy for me. I like to go the road more traveled. Let other people be the pioneers and I'll reap the benefits of their experience.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from hawkeye11:

This is the book I started with and found it very useful in the beginning.

Pinball Machine Care and Maintenance, by Bear Kamoroff

http://www.pbresource.com/books.html

Also a great book, I recommend that as well.

#14 11 years ago

Find someone knowledgeable in your area, and bring a case of beer. They should be able to give you a crash course on the basics.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-ownership-for-dummies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.