Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by fusion301
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

i just found a pin on craigslist with an overlay on it. it looks fantastic, but does it affect gameplay? would you wax and polish it? how would you go about cleaning it? this is the first i've seen of an overlay used to make a pinball machine's playfield look better. if the gameplay is different or weird that i would think it wouldn't be worth it to make it look better. has anyone heard of this being done or have any experience with this?

#2 9 years ago

Not familiar with it - can you post the link to the pictures?

#3 9 years ago

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx230/crashb4/Funhouse/
here it is, like i said the playfield looks really good"Game has overlay on playfield that looks brand new" thats what the ad said. i have never heard of this process.

#4 9 years ago

Looks good to me. I wonder if he means a mylar cover?

#5 9 years ago

Imagine a huge sticker and thats an overlay. Its a little more than that but not much. I think they are made of mylar. I had a beat Supersonic that I bought an overlay for but wound up just re-painting and touching up what I could. I was happy that I did actually but thats just me Up close they just look fake. But I guess it would beat a completely washed out playfield. Anyone need a Super Sonic overlay? Got one hanging on my wall! Oh, and you clean it with Novus and wax. And hope it never starts lifting. From what I hear, they will last a long time if put on correctly and that involves sanding all the original paint off. I just couldnt bring myself to do that......I also have heard that it does effect game play. But have never played on one so I dont really know.

#6 9 years ago

Wow. Can an overlay possibly be that much less expensive than a new playfield? Of course, you have to be able to find a NOS or repo playfield, which can be difficult... My guess is that the playfield must be trashed underneath and, worst case scenario after Pintastic's input, was likely sanded off. Sounds like the kind of thing that either (a) you buy only if you don't ever plan on reselling (since it would seem hard to market to any serious pinballers, especially down the road if it starts lifting or has issues) and/or (b) you need to get a really, really good deal for that same reason.

I think I would stay away. However, it might be worth looking at (but not to buy) just to see what an overlay is like up close and to see if you think it truely affects gameplay.

#7 9 years ago

the price was set at 1700, so its a little low but not like "oh this is too good to be true" low. theres the catch! that darn overlay, sounds like a coverup routine to me but it sure is shiny looking!and if it messes with gameplay than its definitely a no-no. thanks for the aid guys, i wonder if anyone else has ever seen one with an overlay on it?

#8 9 years ago

My Evel Knievel (Bally 1977) has a full mylar overlay covering the playfield, except for the ball shooter lane.
Go to the top 100 machines on this site, then go to 'what comes after 100" (down the bottom of the page.
Go to "126" Evel Knievel, then to Gallery (machine pics).
The first 5 pictures are of my machine, which shows the playfield.
The game play does not alter and the playfield is a breeze to clean.
I can only think that the last owner applied it, to protect the playfield, considering its age, it is in A1 condition.
It does not get played a lot, so i presume that if i ever intended selling it, i could remove the mylar and have a pretty much, pristine playfield (mylar removal however can be a problem)
I have some better pics of the playfield if you want to see them, let me know and i will post/email them to you.

#9 9 years ago

We have a funhouse with an overlay. You can't tell by playing it except in the corner over the right outlane there is a small wrinkle that doesn't effect game play. We clean and wax it like a regular playfield. I would just suggest you see the machine in person if possible to make sure the overlay was applied well. Our funhouse is pretty nice and it plays great, so I myself wouldn't necessarily be afraid of the overlay thing now. It will probably last as long as anything if taken care of...... at least WE hope so!

#10 9 years ago

Don't be afraid of an overlay if it was done right. In fact a good overlay addition on a machine that was produced from the factory without any protection is better than the original. Many of the manufacturers started including a covering on the playfield in the latter years once they realized it was a good idea.

#11 9 years ago

http://www.edcheung.com/album/album07/Pinball/ss_pf.htm

here is an example of a playfield overlay - see if its clear coated, I know people that have clear coated overlays with good results.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 21.00
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roanoke, VA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside