Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Grayman_EM
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E261ED28-D952-43F0-8090-EEB177971968 (resized).jpeg
    613D358F-0C09-4E61-B602-BC2A20AF0575 (resized).jpeg
    43BA3B52-BA5B-4CF6-BECE-D73F6219F10C (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    joanna-krupa-thumbs-up (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2017-12-02-09-05-34 (resized).png
    lcnROQO (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cosmicjim.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#84 6 years ago

As someone that hasn't gotten involved in threads about new games until recently, and being someone that didn't read many threads other than market threads, tech threads, or club threads I had been isolated from most of the negativity.
    I see a recurring theme in all social media causing rancor: current events. Current events are always hotly debated. The need to be right is time sensitive. There are always debates in historical topics such "greatest of all time" arguments, but people usually aren't as hateful in them. This applies to not just politics and religion, but hobbies as well.
    My opinion is everyone is wrong (myself included).
    My outlook on everything sounds negative on the surface, but it's an outlook about learning. What am I missing from the point of view of the person I disagree with?
    In the case of these forums the current events are new machines and how we spend our money. Economics in hobbies usually get very contentious.
    So when it comes to these new machines, anyone that is being aggressive is wrong, because truth is not absolute. What is true to me is not necessarily true for someone else. People enjoy different things. This is easy to understand. What else though? Different businesses have different business models. Different regions have different economies. Different cultures have different accepted practices and rules.
    Saying company X should do something because company Y does it is not an absolute truth because of those factors.
    Without going into detail, there is currently an issue going on with a current pinball company that I don't agree with. I don't want to say I'm absolutely right about the issue, because there are too many things I don't know about the company's business strategies and financials. What I think should be done might bankrupt the company for all I know. I use this as an opportunity to learn more about the situation and make informed decisions for my benefit. The flip-side of this is a company should use feedback from social media to update strategies to protect themselves from internal weaknesses and external threats. If we disregard everything we disagree with, we will not grow more, ourselves.

The more I get involved with pinball the more I hear people in real life talk about how bad it is. As others have pointed out, pinside is what you make of it. I don't let other people determine how much I enjoy something, unless someone is purposely attacking me specifically. Even then, I don't mean just negative responses, but someone making a pattern out of harassing me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cosmicjim.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-opinions?tu=cosmicjim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.