Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Grayman_EM
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E261ED28-D952-43F0-8090-EEB177971968 (resized).jpeg
    613D358F-0C09-4E61-B602-BC2A20AF0575 (resized).jpeg
    43BA3B52-BA5B-4CF6-BECE-D73F6219F10C (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    joanna-krupa-thumbs-up (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2017-12-02-09-05-34 (resized).png
    lcnROQO (resized).png
    There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

This thread is to discuss the very notion of opinions.

It’s very easy to say, “Everybody is entitled to their opinion”. “It’s a PERSONAL opinion, and therefor it can’t be wrong?!”. That’s incorrect. Some things are objectively wrong.

I suppose I’m trying to get to the heart of “Opinions” versus “Vendettas”.

I’m trying to point out that the broken record of Stern bashing or JJP bashing is really dragging this place down. I guess that’s news to exactly nobody!!

What I was trying to suggest is that there is a ever rising wave of negativity. It seems the policy is, If you don’t have anything nice to say, then say it 10 different way, 20 times in a row. That sucks.

There is NOTHING wrong with criticism, but the bashing that goes on here is just silly. It’s unhealthy too.

What I’m suggesting to the community as a whole is to take a step back and think about what you’re actually SAYING.

TNA was the example I used to illustrate my point, and I stand behind it.

I don’t care if you don’t want to own that pin, or if it’s not your favourite machine... but to call it garbage, or bad “value”, or “another lame Spooky garage project” is OBJECTIVELY wrong. It’s not SUBjectively wrong... its about causing a stir on a forum. It’s about bashing a company. It’s about making fun of another pinballer... but it’s not about pinball.

I’m suggesting that perhaps Pinsiders could take a second to examine their motivations, and consider what they bring to the conversation.

I’m trying to elevate the conversation, not drag it down.

I’m also not trying to stop anybody from saying anything negative, I’m merely asking the question, “Is your negativity about Pinball, or is it about something else?!”

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

TNA was the example I used ... but to call it garbage, or bad “value”, or “another lame Spooky garage project” is OBJECTIVELY wrong.

What objective criteria are you evaluating? All three terms (garbage, bad value, lame project) are subjective opinions.

#3 6 years ago

lcnROQO (resized).pnglcnROQO (resized).png

#4 6 years ago

You can usually tell who is trying to stir the pot and who objectively had favorable or unfavorable opinions on a game or topic. I ignore the people to who stir the pot. Usually, it's just met with a downvote. For others, you can have constructive conversation without putting each other down or devolving to "You're stupid and your collection sucks!"

Ignore them and they go away. If they have no one to feed off of, they can only yell at the wall and will leave, when they don't have that energy bouncing back. There are some people that fly off the wall too easily. For those people, I say relax, enjoy the forum for what it is (a place to have conversation about a topic we all love) and play some pinball. Any one person telling me I'm stupid and my collection sucks isn't in my basement with me flipping. To that point, they can be keyboard warriors all they want. I'll be pressing start.

#5 6 years ago

You’re wasting your time if you think that you can change people on Pinside MapleSyrup, haters are gonna hate and Stern bashers are gonna Bash.

#6 6 years ago

Well, I think a lot of the actual kernels of criticism leveled at Stern are, at their core, somewhat justified. And an online forum is a good place to enunciate those critcisms, for the community and hopefully for the company as well. What's not justified is the tedious repetition, over generalization, or hyperbolic exaggerations. The personal grudges that emerge are largely an inevitable product of those kinds of overreaching posts.

#7 6 years ago

For example... I don’t like Addam’s Family. I never have. I don’t want one. I don’t care about that game.

I have never gone to the Adams Family club thread, and tried to convince anybody that the game sucks. Not just because it’s my OPINION. Because I KNOW that just because I don’t like the game... that doesn’t mean it sucks. It doesn’t mean I need to convince anybody they are an idiot for liking something I don’t like.

I understand that objectively, Addams Family is good pinball. I just don’t like it. I would never say it’s BAD pinball just because I don’t like it.

That’s what I’m getting at.

Why do people spend time on the Facebook pages of bands they do not enjoy, telling everybody the band sucks??!! That is a serious problem with the internet. People live to rile others. They troll and they revel in their discord. Their anonymity allows it to perpetuate. It’s lame.

The internet has given everybody a voice. That democratization is a great thing in some respects, but in practicality, you end up giving all the village idiots megaphones.

I’m not advocating for harmony, or blind loyalty. I’m pushing for COMMUNITY.

Maybe it’s simply too much to expect, but I’ve been around here long enough to sense the downward spiral. I don’t want Pinside to go the way of RGB and have everybody reasonable abandon it in search of a healthier meeting place.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Maybe it’s simply too much to expect...

your post saving the internet or at least Pinside from the internet? Yeah, sounds a bit much.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

your post saving the internet or at least Pinside from the internet? Yeah, sounds a bit much.

I suppose it depends on your outlook. I’m not trying to save the internet.

I’m just wishing that a tiny part of the internet where people supposedly gather because they enjoy the same thing wasn’t so toxic and unfriendly.

I used to be way more engaged here. I’m drifting away because I find it more and more of a drag.

You could say, “Fine, if you don’t like it here then leave. Don’t be so dramatic about it”

Or you could say, “He’s a thoughtful person, and appears to add to the discussion and to the community... I don’t contribute to reasonable people abandoning this place”

I’m personally spending way more time in a group chat of friends. We talk pinball 24/7, and nobody spends time here. This is a group of hardcore collectors. Pinball maniacs. We all eat, sleep and breathe pinball... but nobody can stand the world’s largest pinball site?! That’s a problem. Is it wrong to attempt to address a problem?!

Perhaps it’s naive. Perhaps it’s futile. I thought it was worth raising the discussion though.

I also know I could avoid most of the drama by avoiding the new pin threads. However, that’s the pinball I’m most interested in!

Pinside is full of incredibly helpful information. There are community members who do nothing BUT contribute to the knowledge base, and make the community better.

I want to enjoy this place more, and be a part of the discussion here, so I’m trying to address the things that bum me out.

That’s all.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

The internet has given everybody a voice. That democratization is a great thing in some respects, but in practicality, you end up giving all the village idiots megaphones.

This is my number one gripe with the internet. The crackpot down the street from you with terrible ideas that everybody used to ignore can now reach just as many other people as something like the evening news can. And all the other random crackpots hear that guy and are like "YEAH!" and the band together and make a bunch of stupid noise and then people somehow treat it like it's credible and worthy.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I’m personally spending way more time in a group chat of friends. We talk pinball 24/7, and nobody spends time here. This is a group of hardcore collectors. Pinball maniacs. We all eat, sleep and breathe pinball... but nobody can stand the world’s largest pinball site?! That’s a problem.

I do this as well, but I also come back to Pinside because just hanging out in an echo chamber of people who think exactly like me all the time gets a bit repetitive. I come here because I can get all kinds of info and discussion I can't get in the closed groups.

Do I wish some of the more vocal... people... would maybe go away? Sure. But it's not my site and I can't just ban those guys so I choose to gloss over them for the most part and take what I want from everyone else.

I choose to stay and try to contribute to add value to Pinside. If you just give up and go away, you're letting them win.

#12 6 years ago

I appreciate your thoughts, MapleSyrup. And I share some of the concerns for sure. The negativity bothers me sometimes even though it's really only happening in a small section of Pinside (mostly the new games/manufacturers sub-forum threads) it's very prevalent in the current setup of the site (single frontpage list of topics): the negativity constantly boils to the top. Now, this is gonna change soon with an upcoming front page redesign that I'm currently in the final stages of developing (some people who have already seen it, love the new look)

But yeah, for me the negativity is an energy drain for sure. Having to deal with it time and time again. And often times there are opposing camps both pulling on me to do something about whatever the other camp is doing. It's frustrating, to put it mildly. And what's even more tiring is catching myself trying to come up with ideas to solve the issue. I've already tried a bunch of things over the years, but nothing really works. The growth brought some of these problems. I remember I once got so sick of it that I kicked off a bunch of people - well, others quickly took their place.

The truth is, it's not just Pinside, it's pretty much everywhere on the web. Places like Twitter and Youtube and many big message boards. And if those huge corporations can't fix the negativity issue, then how could Pinside? Personal opinion, freedom of expression, negativity, and bashing, friendships and vendetta's: it seems they all come together, unable to exist alone.

Personally, I've given up on thinking I can somehow change peoples behaviors online. But I'm always thinking about technical solutions to the internet issues. I always believe technology can solve any issue in the world. Someone PM'd me today with an idea involving machine learning to keep threads on track and enforce site rules. That's really interesting (but a bit above my hat, to be honest). I'm gonna read up on the subject though

Another idea that could work is to separate the large number of posters on Pinside into smaller groups. Have people create their own group and give them some control over it. Groups could assign their own moderators, who together would vote on membership, group rules etc. Would it work? I dunno. Might be worth a try. Obviously, this idea has downsides too - I'm actually looking at a list of pros and cons here. But it could be something to address the challenge of people wanting to create safe (and fun!) discussion spaces. To be clear: I'm not visualizing all of Pinside becoming like this, but possibly a new section.

And finally, I have no idea how big this negativity problem really is. I do get occasional messages from people about it. But generally speaking, considering the amount of pageviews/visits Pinside gets, it doesn't seem a lot of people are that bothered. Or maybe just not enough to tell me about it. Or maybe they're used to it?

TLDR; Sometimes I wish we could simply go back to the less complicated and cozier Pinside of a few years ago. But on the other hand, I'm tremendously glad Pinside grew into this because it is a testament to the current popularity of pinball!

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

And finally, I have no idea how big this negativity problem really is. I do get occasional messages from people about it. But generally speaking, considering the amount of pageviews/visits Pinside gets, it doesn't seem a lot of people are that bothered. Or maybe just not enough to tell me about it. Or maybe they're used to it?

I think a lot of the people bothered by it just search for someplace else and hope it will be/stay better. Like the mentioned private chat group. Mostly because these "how can we be better at being kind to each other and come together over our shared interest" threads historically just go sideways fast and everything stays the same.

#14 6 years ago

I would like to point out that this place is a lot more friendly to women than it used to be. Not quite as much frat bro "hur hur" crap and posts with lots of boobs.

So, there's been improvement.

#15 6 years ago

Thanks for the input robin

It’s not a pinball problem, it’s not a Pinside Problem. It’s an internet problem.

Anonymity, or the close approximation of it is the problem.

People say things here they would NEVER say to anybody’s face. It makes them feel badass or something. It’s gross.

Real Life:

Person A “Want to play my pinball machines?”
    Person B “Sure! I love pinball!”

Internet

Person B “Dude, it looks like a clown had diarrhea on your playfields. You’re an idiot for spending so much money on BM66. I will never buy a NIB Stern. WOZ sucks.”

Real Life

Person A “I’d like to introduce you to John Borg”

Person B “Wow. Pleasure to meet you John. I’m a big fan of many of your games. Would you mind signing my MET translite?!”

Internet

Person A “I’d like to introduce you to John Borg”

Person B “Borg is a fu$&ing hack recycling ideas on every pin. He hasn’t made anything good since Tron... which also sucks btw. I wouldn’t piss on him if he wasn’t on fire.”

Real Life

Person A “Dude, it’s really not cool to SAY that.”
    Person B “Oh sorry, my bad. I hadn’t considered that. I meant no offence by it. I get it. I’ll stop saying it.”

Internet

Person B “Lighten up Snowflake!”
    Person C “Bunchnof Candy-Assed SJWs around here trying to take the balls out of my man cave. F#%k ‘em if they can’t take a joke”
    Person D “They said the same thing in a thread 10 months ago. Go get your skirt dry cleaned, Nancy! Let the Men discuss this”

What gets said here would rarely be said in person. It just wouldn’t be socially acceptable to be so negative. Nobody would put up with it. So, why is it ok here?!

#16 6 years ago

You know, I always thought that the anonymity was the issue too. However, on Facebook - where most of the people are not anonymous, but posting under their real names - people still say terrible things. There are many websites that implement commenting via your Facebook account. Yet people are still keyboard warriors, typing out the most mean-spirited shit you could imagine.

So what is it about the internet that turns some people into assholes? That's the million dollar question and I'm sure the people at Twitter etc have looong board meetings about that.

#17 6 years ago

As a guy who's observed for a couple months only, my opinions is obviously less informed than the veterans.

That being said I find pinside is what you make of it. I've met some awesome people that sold me my first machines, people willing to help me fix my finicky t-rex, taking time out of their day and a ton of people willing to post videos and experiences to help me

I also see the stern and jjp hating, but I just ignore it, like much of the internet. Hell I've been here 2 or three months and know which opinions I want to read and which I'm skimming.

Overall, I think the community is great if you can tune out the static. The good has FAR outweighed the negative for me

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

So what is it about the internet that turns some people into assholes? That's the million dollar question and I'm sure the people at Twitter etc have looong board meetings about that.

There's pretty near zero risk of being punched in the face immediately upon completion of whatever stupid thing you're firing off when the people are states away.

#19 6 years ago

Here in the south they say opinions are like @$$holes, everyone’s got one, and they all stink!! If you don’t have anything nice to say, maybe don’t say it.

#20 6 years ago

I’d like to think a lot of the negativity on here is manf. Bashers or specific game bashers but I’d point out that their are at least several threads on here currently that are often dumpster fires that are completely full of negativey towards other members of the Pinball community and pinsiders: coming to mind are the no rainbow puke club and the mod removers club. One “club” consists of taking examples from Facebook, for sales ads, etc, and making fun of and saying mean things about the owners machines / tastes. The other actively bashes mods made by members of the community, including mods advertised here.

I’m not saying you can’t have an opinion about LEDs or mods, but having whole clubs on pinside devouted to singling out owners machines or mods and bashing them — doesn’t seem very welcoming or “nice”.

Just a thought.. I wish people had more positive things to do / comment on but it’s just more entertaining to be generally negative I guess.

**now queue 10 people up to call me a snowflake and toughen up** lol

#21 6 years ago

I'm sorry but this has to be a joke right? MapleSyrup username an icon that is a winter landscape and a moose, on here trying to be polite and bring us all together. This is a parody right, you're just taking the piss with us Canucks right?

#22 6 years ago

Yes. That’s why I said Anonymity or the close approximation of it.

Loads of people are on Facebook under pseudonyms, or simply don’t feel the social responsibility of an actual encounter. They see their “opinion” come up on the screen with just as much importance as everybody else’s. they don’t consider the effect at all. This doesn’t occur in real life.

I have literally never had a bad personal experience in the hobby. Tournaments, shows, purchases, sales, Barcades, conversations etc etc. In 20 plus years of Pinball collecting, Nobody has ever said anything rude to me. Nobody has ever insulted me. Nobody has ever called my opinion worthless... not once has this occurred in the real world.

People in the real world are civilized. Civility is not a bad thing.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ns2973:

Overall, I think the community is great if you can tune out the static. The good has FAR outweighed the negative for me

Amen brother!

#24 6 years ago

I like this thread a lot. The real humans I’ve met in pinball are amazing.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Person B “Dude, it looks like a clown had diarrhea on your playfields. You’re an idiot for spending so much money on BM66. I will never buy a NIB Stern. WOZ sucks.”

I will totally say this in person to my friends!

But strangers, no.

Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I have literally never had a bad personal experience in the hobby. Tournaments, shows, purchases, sales, Barcades, conversations etc etc. In 20 plus years of Pinball collecting, Nobody has ever said anything rude to me.

You can't really apply that to all people in the hobby, for a variety of reasons...

That said, you get what you give and if you're a nice guy, people will generally be nice back. However, the "haters" will tend to hang out with other "haters" at shows and snark the shit out of people, games, etc. amongst themselves. The problem here is we're all grouped together in one melting pot, so you'll get personality conflicts you wouldn't get in person.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

MapleSyrup username an icon that is a winter landscape and a moose, on here trying to be polite and bring us all together. This is a parody right, you're just taking the piss with us Canucks right?

This conversations right here is the most Canadian thing I've ever heard

Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Real Life
    Person B “Oh sorry, my bad. I hadn’t considered that. I meant no offence by it. I get it. I’ll stop saying it.”

Quoted from jwilson:

I will totally say this in person to my friends!
    But strangers, no.

I find this is the issue a lot of the time, at least with me. When you're part of an internet community you kind of act like you would in a real community; not holding things back.

#27 6 years ago

Ya, that’s kind of my point.

I’m not saying the hobby doesn’t have assholes... I’m saying nobody in real life tolerates an asshole, aside from other assholes!

I communicate here the same way I would in person.

I understand that not everybody takes or likes that approach. However, I think that if everybody TOOK that approach we’d be a lot better off.

#28 6 years ago

This is an important thread and I hope some useful ideas are generated from it. My observation is that the negativity is very much based on the topic. If the topic is tech help or a how-to thread, folks are usually very appreciative and collaborative. If the thread is more about hypothetical games, supplier problems, or reviews of commercial products, people really like to throw rotten tomatoes.

I really get enjoyment and value from the tech help threads and tend to avoid the opinion threads.

#29 6 years ago

Don't worry I hear the purge is going to take out the bad apples

#30 6 years ago

I like the idea to vote people off.
    If you get enough “go away” votes- your gone.
    Everyone could only have one vote per individual person. You could even change your vote if you change your mind.
    Only you could see your current number and type of votes.
    If a majority of the people think you suck- your gone.
    If you keep the number of votes it takes to make someone “go away” high enough, you would only eliminate the super trolls.
    Sure, another super troll would take his/her place, but it could make the “occasional troll” in all of us think twice before posting.

#31 6 years ago

I'm not in favor of and banning, voting people off the island, segregation of groups. All of this leads to people being excluded. Everyone has an ignore list please take advantage of it. I don't find a lot of negativity here. It's well below average for the internet and a damn sight better than other hobbies. The only thing that gets to me is the Stern defense force and the really obvious bashing. I think Stern deserves its fair share of criticism. The extreme everything they do is garbage vs the everything they do is amazing you should be thanking them, is what gets on my nerves. Oh and the extremes of price police, I don't mind a little mockery of a excessive price but the guys that magically get every pin for at least a grand less than even the sweetest score. Everything else is pretty good to go. Sure we have our fair share of old men yelling at clouds but I cut them some slack as I'm creeping into that category.

#32 6 years ago

As I do agree with the majority of the problems discussed here, I must say I don’t mind some negative comments towards a manufacturer or game as long as it is bringing a potential problem to my attention. I do not agree with “all of brand X is garbage”, but do appreciate knowing what problems might arise if I’m purchasing a NIB game or any game for that matter. This is obviously a slippery slope that no thread about problems with a game has been able to handle. I do agree with its internet and not necessarily anonymity. A lot of people will say anything as long as they are not face to face. I think the only thing that can be done is to take the “a$$h*#%s” with a grain of salt and move to a different thread. Continuing a ridiculous argument with a troll does not help the thread.

#33 6 years ago

Perfect example. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-has-dried-up-here

One of the DMD boys tried to bring his hate over to the EM forums this week. He got slapped with 46 additional down votes to add to his already accumulated 2,300 (you guys must not like him over there either). I felt bad for him at first, but then he appeared to be trolling us. It is as simple as this, if you dont collect or play EM's and there not your bag, don't comment.
    We are a different breed in the EM Hangout. We are helpful and supportive of one another no matter what kind of machines we collect and play. I do read the other sections on occasion, and I am dumbfounded by how cruel so many people are to one another. - This is just my opinion.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

Perfect example. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-has-dried-up-here
    One of the DMD boys tried to bring his hate over to the EM forums this week. He got slapped with 46 additional down votes to add to his already accumulated 2,300 (you guys must not like him over there either). I felt bad for him at first, but then he appeared to be trolling us. It is as simple as this, if you dont collect or play EM's and there not your bag, don't comment.
    We are a different breed in the EM Hangout. We are helpful and supportive of one another no matter what kind of machines we collect and play. I do read the other sections on occasion, and I am dumbfounded by how cruel so many people are to one another. - This is just my opinion.

unbelievable.

i did not hate on EMs. i said zero bad things about EMs. i said they were fun. I like EMs. i cannot not believe how hypersensitive you guys were when i was trying to be nice.

meanwhile, your post here is exactly the kind of post that goes out of its way to be dickish and hostile for no good reason. there's no way you are that big of an a-hole in real life.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

meanwhile, your post here is exactly the kind of post that goes out of its way to be dickish and hostile for no good reason. there's no way you are that big of an a-hole in real life.

Funny, same kind of language you used in the thread. Once again, I believe we made our point!

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I have literally never had a bad personal experience in the hobby.

I dunno if that's accurate.
    I mean, I kicked your ASS at TWD last night, pretty good.
    : )

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

Funny, same kind of language you used in the thread. Once again, I believe we made our point!

if the point is you guys are jerks, then message received. i have repeatedly tried to explain that i was trying to be nice and that i like EMs, but you guys have reacted with complete hostility and disdain -- going so far as to bring it up in another unrelated thread to further attack me again out of the blue.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Continuing a ridiculous argument with a troll does not help the thread.

#39 6 years ago

i am not a troll.

and i'm not the one who brought your ridiculous beef to this thread.

#40 6 years ago

Each of you think the other is a troll. Neither of you probably are. You both just disagree. Just don’t respond and move on. What does it matter what he thinks or what you think of him.

#41 6 years ago

Cause it's the Internet and he's gotta have the last word

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Each of you think the other is a troll. Neither of you probably are. You both just disagree. Just don’t respond and move on. What does it matter what he thinks or what you think of him.

i DID cease responding until he brought it up on an entirely unrelated thread while pretending to be an aw shucks nice guy.

#43 6 years ago

Don't ever mention thoughtfully that you would like it to or wonder if the Stern GOTG Premium/LE Groot arms move.....like I did.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

unbelievable.
    i did not hate on EMs. i said zero bad things about EMs. i said they were fun. I like EMs. i cannot not believe how hypersensitive you guys were when i was trying to be nice.

This a great example of why I feel the downvote/upvote thing is a bad idea. It does nothing but create hatred and controversy toward each other which in return creates trolling and conflicts etc. I do not agree with hardly any of Pezpunks views, me and him are definitely on opposite sides of the tracks on just about every subject but he got downvoted for absolutely no reason in that thread other than the fact that people obviously do not like him for whatever reason and that is wrong. He was being nice and respectful seems to me like in that thread and a bunch of people ganged up on him for no reason and downvoted him trying to make him look bad.

This is the kind of nonsense that needs to stop on here and people should be moderated for abusing the downvote system in this situation here because they ARE the ones creating the hostile environment, NOT Pezpunk! Remember that #1 rule on here of “be nice”? The abuse of downvotes on Pezpunk not being nice at all. I’m sure that I will catch flack for this but I don’t care, right is right and wrong is wrong. Like I said, me and Pezpunk don’t have the same beliefs on hardly anything, but if he is respectful to me I will be respectful back and talk Pinball with him all day long if he wants.

#45 6 years ago

I turned the voting feature off. If someone is really a problem, I ignore them.

#46 6 years ago

You make many good points. I feel the same way on many of your concerns. The example of not liking Addams family is a case in point.

I have on ignore the main culprits.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

I dunno if that's accurate.
    I mean, I kicked your ASS at TWD last night, pretty good.
    : )

You proved 2 things last night...

There is a first time for everything, and miracles really can happen.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

You proved 2 things last night...
    There is a first time for everything, and miracles really can happen.

Aerosmith is leaving in the morning and it's still got your GC on it.
    Want people to be nicer to each other?
    Stop pulling THAT $hit!

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Aerosmith is leaving in the morning and it's still got your GC on it.
    Want people to be nicer to each other?
    Stop pulling THAT $hit!

Well that’s just like... your opinion, Man!

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The only thing that gets to me is the Stern defense force and the really obvious bashing. I think Stern deserves its fair share of criticism. The extreme everything they do is garbage vs the everything they do is amazing you should be thanking them, is what gets on my nerves. Oh and the extremes of price police, I don't mind a little mockery of a excessive price but the guys that magically get every pin for at least a grand less than even the sweetest score. Everything else is pretty good to go. Sure we have our fair share of old men yelling at clouds but I cut them some slack as I'm creeping into that category.

I’m not a Stern Cheerleader who will praise everything they do, but I do advocate for perspective occasionally.

When there is a rising chorus of “Everything at Stern is broken. Do not buy a NIB pin. You’re an idiot if you do. Until they solve (insert issue here. Ghosting, dimpling, code, Decal bubbles, cabinet splitting blah blah blah)

I feel the need to say something like “Ya, unless you like really fun pinball machines like ST, TWD, MET, Aerosmith, and Star Wars... definitely do not buy a new Stern!”

I happen to know and like a lot of people at Stern, so in some cases I’m merely advocating for civility towards people I care about.

Sometimes though, I’m genuinely shocked that people get so worked up over small cosmetic issues. Things like that simply don’t effect my enjoyment of the game.

When my WOZ was delivered there was a chuck missing from the upper side of the cab head. I have no idea if it was damaged at the factory, during shipping, or while the guys moved it in to my house. A 1 inch by 1/4 inch piece of wood had splintered off of the top right side. The delivery guy pointed it out to me, and said, “What do you want to do?!”. I said, “I couldn’t care less”. My machines are packed in one inch apart. I will literally never see this flaw, so I don’t care about it.

Loads of people here would advocate for refusing that delivery over a small cosmetic chip. I think that’s ludicrous.

I’m buying a piece of commercial vending equipment. It’s not supposed to be perfect. I understand that prices have gone up, and everybody (not just Stern!) is testing the limits of the collectors market... that doesn’t change the nature of the beast. It’s still a pinball machine.

What would it have cost JJP to address that concern vs what it cost me to not give a shit about it??!! Returning the game to my distro, who might have to sell it at a discount, and then sending me a new machine. All the time and logistics of that. The cost... for what??!!!

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-opinions?hl=djoverpour and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.