IMG_1848_Small.jpg
IMG_1841_Small.jpg
bb3_Small.jpg
IMG_1497_Small.jpg
Bill2.jpg
Bill3.jpg
Bill4.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Copied from another post by dasvis. I hope he doesn't mind.

"Probably been posted before here somewhere, but I came across this gem & it cracked me up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Creed of the Low End Pin Man
In a time of pinflation and craigslist tomfoolery and game-rooms becoming like cryptlike shrines - there came to be known the ones called Low End Pin men. This is their creed.
The Low End Pin man craves not to line the walls of his lair with a NIB ACDC BIBLE with latest firmware and foundry cast brass bell mod. Ye Old Medieval Madness and the Clan Addams he avoids, unless the beasts be found on route location or at tourney. Instead the LEP man seeks the true worth of a machine in the form of the Bally Freedom, the GamePlan, the sweaty EM stood on end in a dusty corner. The undeservingly unloved, their rule-sheets short and their #44's dimmed with age and neglect - he cannot resist them.
The Low End Pin man does not wear white gloves while playing. His pintable vibrates and groans with extended play sessions wearing it down to dust while the Low End wizard laughs maniacally. "It's meant to be Played, not Laid" is his motto, mating call and battle cry all rolled into one.
He eschews the mirror blade, the gold plated ball, the handpainted plastic toy, the $400 repopped topper, the subwoofer, the LED generally, the fiber optic, the magic fingers massager and the High-Def Color 3D Smell-O-Vision DMD - these fripperies are not for the Low End Pin man.
The LEP man does not buy what can be borrowed, does not replace what can be repaired, does not repair what can be spit shined, does not spit shine that which is already truly "decent" and "serviceable". He endeavors to make the Low End Pin work with his own hands, via hacked tool, dodgy internet tutorial, paint marker, decoupage, needlepoint, necromancy - whatever it takes. He does not resort to the hired gun for his board work or his coat of clear, except when he finds himself in truly desperate straits.
The LEP man holds his breath when handling his backglass so that the flakes do not take flight and anoint him like so much multicolored dandruff.
The LEP man is not an artist. He does not spray that which may be brushed. He does not brush that which may be wiped or smudged. He does not touch that which may be concealed by post or plastic. He has no problem with quality or workmanship, he just knows that you are not supposed to be able to shave in the reflection off the playfield of that Evil Knievel, dude, WTF?
The low end pin man knows that the truest joy is the short green buy. When he sells the beast on to the Medium pin man, he will realize the cost of his time at $1.50 per hour if he's lucky, but who cares? The memory of the blood and sweat, the project game revived, the ball times long and oh-so-short, the echos of the triple knock shall sustain him until he can dip Low again."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems as though the great thing about this hobby is the vast cross section of people involved in it!
People who have a huge collection of top-shelf games to those who have one or two worn out em's.
We are all drawn together by this common thread!

I fall into the category of the guy with the worn out em's. A "Low End Pin Man"
I'm sure there are a few others out there.

I am currently working on two machines, and trying to do it as cost effectively as possible. Both of them are not really worth sinking a whole lot of bucks into, but can still be turned into great players.

I will try to document some of the stuff I've done and parts I've made to save a buck or did just because I felt like it.
I think it would be cool to see what YOU have done to get your machines back into service.

Functional, quality repairs that might make a purist cringe, but work just fine otherwise.

Post them here. I want to see them!

Eric

#2 8 years ago

This post is fabulous. Love the line about "fripperies"

My list is huge, but here's just a few:

I've added high tech microcontroller LEDs to my Pinbot that hobbles along with a "repaired" lamp matrix grid and vortex, a cracking topper, a sagging melted energy flash insert, and paper reproduction of a broken plastic. It's got LED cabinet flippers and GI, but humble incandescent bulbs in the playfield. Most of the ramp screw holes are desperately holding on by super glue. It's the players pin, the one that gets nudged, pushed and slapped around. The one I played a few games on yesterday.

I took a trashed Double Action woodrail that should have been in the garbage. Like Frankenstein, like a mad scientist, I pieced it into something playable. I had to splinter a piece of wood to find the right shape to splice into another piece of the rail, epoxy it in place, patch it with wood filler. It has 75% of the art on the backglass, and the 75% is crackling and delaminating from the glass. I had to solder a contact on an open frame relay. I also had to make my own stencils, and when the spray didn't come out right, make improvements with a paintbrush. The normally shiny metal parts are phonies, sprayed with chrome paint. Pop caps have labels on them I printed with my ink jet. There's even too much more to list.

421657.jpg421657.jpg

#3 8 years ago

^^^^^NICE!^^^^^^

#4 8 years ago

The machines I will be doing are:

Gottlieb Aquarius.
My wife found this on CL, bought it and brought it home while I was at work.
It wasn't expensive but we probably shouldn't have bought it. The playfield is severely planked and the cabinet was re-painted.
The upside: it has a pretty good back glass and was playable. I guess we are kind of stuck with it now.

Gottlieb Barnacle Bill.
This game has been in our family for nearly 50 years. It always played well, but does need some attention now. Lots of attention.
My dad and I are going to fix it up and give it to my brother.

#5 8 years ago

First thing for Aquarius:
Marco wants around $60.00 for a flipper kit. I'm going to make all the parts myself.
Pix coming!

#6 8 years ago

For flipper parts try pbresource. I'm pretty sure Marco just buys from him and marks it up. Plus you can buy what you need what what's in a kit. Like the fiber link for a couple bucks etc. just look for the parts breakdown section above every flipper kit. Found some much needed switches not in the kit there for a capt fantastic.
Fortytwo

#7 8 years ago

This is a really cool thread . What got me so interested in pinball 23 years ago was the fact that I had to make my own parts that were game specific . Go buy steel or aluminum and create from scratch a broken bracket , repair a ramp, make my own ramp protector because the entrance was busted up and I wanted to cover it up. I do enjoy a really nice fully restored game , don't get me wrong , but I do my own plastic recreation with my amature photo shop knowledge and a piece of lexan and a scroll saw. I'm not into the mods , kind of a purest when it comes to my games . Really don't like to even change a bulb color from original ,but my wife saw the blue frosted LED that I put in one GI lamp holder on White Water last night just to see how it looked ,and guess what ??? I ordered 35 blue frosted from coin taker at midnight last night , now gotta wait till next week to repopulate the playfield on my shop out . And NO, I ain't gonna replace all the inserts w LED , or put a fuzzy stuffed animal bought from Amazon that looks like the yeti somewhere in the playfield with a multicolored strobe light flashing on it. Bring me a turd and Ill enjoy hours with my paint pen markers and Photoshop

#8 8 years ago

So I made my flipper parts. I know all of this can be bought, but what the heck.
This machine is really beat and I don't want to put a whole lot of cash into it.DSC00915.JPGDSC00915.JPGDSC00914.JPGDSC00914.JPGDSC00916.JPGDSC00916.JPGDSC00911.JPGDSC00911.JPG

#9 8 years ago

There was some trouble with the chime box on my newly acquired Strikes and Spares.

I pulled the plungers and found that one chime plunger was missing a nylon tip.

I disassembled a Bic pen, removed the ink tube from the writing head, and found the writing head (point down) was a perfect fit (even the correct length). I washed everything in naphtha, jammed it in hard enough to create a solid mechanical connection, and applied CA glue.

Sounds perfect (indistinguishable from the other chimes) and has held up fine over 50 or so games so far.

If it ever fails, I'll probably just toss in the correct part.

#10 8 years ago

MacGyver_display.jpgMacGyver_display.jpg

#11 8 years ago

I'm in the same "pinball on the cheap" boat usually. I have been finding decent newer games that are borderline ready for the dumps and most wouldn't touch with a 10 ft shooter rod . Got a re-import Bride of Pinbot a while back for very cheap, had a rats nest inside etc. But after a couple of years I brought it back to life. I'm not doing full blown restorations either. Cabinet fade, some wear on the playfield, fine with me, as long as it plays 100%. Most recent pickup was a TMNT for a couple of hundred bucks. Pretty beat, but had all Rottendog boards. After some clean up and hardware replacement, I'll have a well playing game for the kids to play.

#12 8 years ago

I'm in the club too. LEP-Man. Hours and hours of hobby entertainment for not much $$$.

#13 8 years ago

The stepper bushings were sloppy as hell, so I machined new ones from black Delrin.
They now advance smoothly and ratchet crisply.DSC00900.JPGDSC00900.JPG

DSC00901.JPGDSC00901.JPGDSC00903.JPGDSC00903.JPGDSC00905.JPGDSC00905.JPGDSC00907.JPGDSC00907.JPGDSC00909.JPGDSC00909.JPGDSC00910.JPGDSC00910.JPG

Having some flipper issues yet. Will get back to that!

E

#14 8 years ago

If I have learned anything from pinball shows, all you have to do is look in a dumpster and you'll find a kiss pinball machine.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

The stepper bushings were sloppy as hell, so I machined new ones from black Delrin.

Absolutely awesome. I dream to be able to do that someday.

1 week later
#16 8 years ago

Messed around with the flippers and just couldn't get them to work satisfactory. So I installed a set of Yellow Dots.
Wow, what a difference! I'm going to install a set in "300".DSC00918.JPGDSC00918.JPG

To move Aquarius into the house we had to re-arrange the family room. Took most of Sunday.
I took an old foundry pattern and some cup hooks and made a place to hang the keys. Turned out pretty cool.DSC00917.JPGDSC00917.JPG

Now Aquarius has a new home, and plays pretty good for a beater. Even the re-paint cabinet doesn't look that obnoxious.
DSC00919.JPGDSC00919.JPG

Now it's time to start on Barnacle Bill!

E

1 week later
#17 8 years ago

Got started on Barnacle Bill last week.
Bill4.JPGBill4.JPG
Bill2.JPGBill2.JPG
Bill3.JPGBill3.JPG

#18 8 years ago

"The stepper bushings were sloppy as hell, so I machined new ones from black Delrin.
They now advance smoothly and ratchet crisply."

What kind of lathe is that? I have a Southbend 10k that I use to make all kinds of pinball parts on. Nice!

#19 8 years ago

It's a Logan 10"
Bowmanstown! You're right up the road from me!

#20 8 years ago

All hail the Low End Pin Man!
Just finished up a Williams Alien poker for a buddy that he picked up non-working w/o keys for $85. Once we drilled the lock we found $25 or so in the coinbox. I put about $279 in parts into it & it turned out really nice. All it needs is a fresh paint job & you could put this back on route.
Now getting back to working on my $50 Gottlieb Royal guard project. Bought it with no backbox. Sourced a bare backbox & lightboard with clipped wiring & scrounged up score reels, backglass, back door, credit unit, 0~9 unit, bells, & assorted relays (had to make some of these from my junk box). Playfield & plastics were surprisingly nice.
Spent many hours pouring over the schematics tracing wires, splicing & soldering and finally have it to the point where it mostly works. Have a few issues to clean up & then will need to paint it next spring. Been a long road but learned a lot & had fun doing it.

Nothing better than polishing an old turd & making a good player out of it.

#22 8 years ago

Here's a few of just the backbox....
UPS trashed the backbox & I had to glue is all back together. Turned out ok, a little bondo & some paint & you won't be able to tell.

The colored tags are to help me follow faded wiring colors, I did not have any period correct cloth covered wiring to splice in when I started so I had to use some Bally plastic insulation wires from an old Bally Freedom parts machine that I had.
The guy that I bought the score reel set from threw in a bunch of the harness & I tried to use the correct wiring for the score reels. I got lucky on the reels, they came out of a 1968 Paul Bunyan, player two so they were the correct square sided "Decagon" reels & they were low mileage. These are kind of rare, as they old used them for like two years. The score reel switches however, were incorrect. Fortunately, I had just picked up a High hand parts head & the switches in it were what I needed!

Needless to say, that was a buttload of splicing.

IMG_1497_Small.jpgIMG_1497_Small.jpg
bb3_Small.jpgbb3_Small.jpg
IMG_1841_Small.jpgIMG_1841_Small.jpg
IMG_1848_Small.jpgIMG_1848_Small.jpg

#23 8 years ago

Man..that's dedication.
Royal Guard is a great machine, though. It will be well worth the time and effort!

#24 8 years ago

Here are some playfield pics...
IMG_1924 (Small).JPGIMG_1924 (Small).JPGIMG_1923 (Small).JPGIMG_1923 (Small).JPGIMG_1918 (Small) (2).JPGIMG_1918 (Small) (2).JPG

#25 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#26 8 years ago

Nice machine. I always liked South Bends.
Looks like it's in good condition.
My Logan doesn't have the quick-change gearbox like your machine does.

#27 8 years ago

Barnacle Bill never had bumper covers while we had it. In fact I didn't even know what they looked like till a few years ago. I know Steve Young makes absolutely beautiful repros, but we blew our wad on a repro back glass from him. The back glass by the way, is stunning (thanks Steve!).
More on that later.

The key word being cheap, for now anyway. I got a box of covers at White Rose for $5.00.
BB4.JPGBB4.JPG
By the way, if you see anything in there that you need, let me know.

I found a few that matched, sort of, and wet-sanded them smooth. There is still traces of the color on some, but they don't look too bad.
A friend of my Dad's was able to make us some dry transfers.
BB1.JPGBB1.JPG

And put them on the covers. They look better than what we had before, and for only five bucks!
BB2.JPGBB2.JPG
BB3.JPGBB3.JPG

I would like to get the repros eventually but these will do for now.
I am considering spraying clear urethane on them to seal the transfer and make them shiny. Any thoughts or suggestions?

E

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-on-the-cheap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.