New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 196666)

Pinball On or Off

By PBMAN

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by bridgeman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Christmas Vacation.gif
    giphy (resized).png

#1 3 years ago

Just curious what everyone is doing as far as keeping their PinBall Machine on most of the day or shutting it off & on each time they play. I have an Aerosmith and about every 10 minutes a fan kicks on if game is left on for more than 20 minutes. Figured something must be getting hot in their.

#2 3 years ago

I turn it off when I'm done playing.

#3 3 years ago

In a private residence most people keep them off unless you are having a party or are playing them yourself.

That said, you're not going to damage anything leaving them on for hours -- they were made to do that. It's just a waste of electricity to leave them on for nobody, though.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

In a private residence most people keep them off unless you are having a party or are playing them yourself.
    That said, you're not going to damage anything leaving them on for hours -- they were made to do that. It's just a waste of electricity to leave them on for nobody, though.

Yeah, although I've been guilty of leaving mine on at night just so I can look over and say "oooooh."

Yeah, I know. Geeky.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I've been guilty of leaving mine on at night just so I can look over and say "oooooh."
    Yeah, I know. Geeky.

Nothing wrong with that. That's part of the fun of owning them. Even being the electricity police here that I am, I do the same thing now and then.

Edit: Just to clarify, I obviously didn't mean to say that I leave anything on overnight. Now an hour or two in the evening to enjoy the lights and attract modes while I work in one of the game rooms or an adjacent room is what I'm saying.

#6 3 years ago

Hmm......would you leaving your car running overnight?

John

#7 3 years ago

Off when not in use

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Yeah, although I've been guilty of leaving mine on at night just so I can look over and say "oooooh."

Yeah, I know. Geeky.

Guilty of this myself!

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Yeah, I know. Geeky.

I've done this in place of a Christmas tree.

#10 3 years ago

There are no significant benefits to leaving pinball machines on after completing a play session for a private owner, not operator.
    There are many negatives, which have discussed many times in the past across various pinball forums.
    This applies to EM and SS designed machines equally.

Operators normally turn their machines OFF in a controlled coin operated location after hours of business.

#12 3 years ago

Off as soon as I'm done playing.

#13 3 years ago

I have so many not working right now that, to a first approximation, I leave them off even when I'm playing!

(Kind of like 2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of two. Rounding.)

My turn to host league is coming up, though, I better get busy!

#14 3 years ago

I always turn on all working machines and they are left on until i done playing one or all of them. I enjoy the other lights and noise while playing a machine. They are only light in the room while playing no track or other over head lights quite funny to be battling Blackhole in multi-ball and here Cyclone saying hey you with the face.

#15 3 years ago

I turn them all on so that the electric company has to throw the auxiliary nuclear switch.

giphy (resized).png

#16 3 years ago

You mean people actually leave their games on when they aren't playing them? I'm not sure I have the stomach to see that electric bill.

Christmas Vacation.gif

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Yeah, I know. Geeky.

I did that too untill I saw the dial spinning on my electric meter. With everything in the gameroom off, just normal household stuff on it took the little wheel in the meter 15 seconds to go around, with everything in the gr on it took 4 seconds. And to top it all off all my games are led.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I did that too untill I saw the dial spinning on my electric meter. With everything in the gameroom off, just normal household stuff on it took the little wheel in the meter 15 seconds to go around, with everything in the gr on it took 4 seconds. And to top it all off all my games are led.

How long for the little wheel to go around with your pins off, but everything else in your game room on? I'm starting to "acquire" neons and lit up wall art, slot toppers now too ... and will make some swap boxes soon too. I might have to start thinking about motion detectors for all that stuff.

#19 3 years ago

Not going to lie....some timse even without a part I turn my games on and play fo ran hour or two. Why not enjoy the ambiance after paying so much for them

#20 3 years ago

My home is fully "Smart", when I want to play I click a button and all 13 machines turn on. I play, I come back later and I play, then I come back again and I play. When I go to bed I click a button and the whole house goes dark.

#21 3 years ago

I have 21 pins in my game room / garage. I have 7 light switches that power up 3 pins at a time. So, I typically turn on 2-3 switches (6-9 pins) play for some time, then power down when done. Rinse and repeat other switches the next day.

#22 3 years ago

Weekdays I turn them on when I get home from work and off when to bed.
    Weekends vary, but Typically they are on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 495.00
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Loop Combo Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 43.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 17.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 26.95
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 78.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 6.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside