Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pickle
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HI-TZ Pin4 (resized).jpg
    HI-TZ Pin3 (resized).jpg
    HI-TZ Pin2 (resized).jpg
    HI-TZ Pin1 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210708_071526290 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210707_212051 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210707_212218 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210707_212106 (resized).jpg
    rock_island_cafe_kalakauan (resized).jpg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Looking to see if there is any pinball in Hawaii. Yes I have opened the Pinmap and can see what is posted...but I am hoping there is something there that isn't on the map you know......

Why hasn't anyone opened a barcade in Honolulu? I mean....I know it is difficult to ship large games across the ocean....but I was there in the early 80s and there were quite a few arcades and locations then....they can't all have fallen into the sea.

#2 2 years ago

I guess the islands are a pinball dead zone

#3 2 years ago

I recall years ago someone on here offering a pinball tech a place to stay in Hawaii (not sure which island) free of charge if they came out and fixed his games. I'm not sure if those games were location or home use.

Even if no pinball enjoy Hawaii, what an amazing place!

#4 2 years ago

Oh ya. I remember that too. I remember looking at his website.....it was a different island if I remember correctly

#5 2 years ago

I think I would just forget about pinball for a week or two and enjoy the island.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Even if no pinball enjoy Hawaii, what an amazing place!

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve been there several times. Oahu, Maui, big island. As much as I love pinball, if I saw a machine I’d probably just point and say “oh look, a pinball machine” and just keep moving along. There’s way too much to see and enjoy. Hope you have a great trip @toddsolus!

#7 2 years ago

Um...ya ...appreciate the advice ...but I'm looking at the possibility of opening a pinball situation and wondering if there are any operators on island and the availability of machines around.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I think I would just forget about pinball for a week or two and enjoy the island.

Every vacation should involve looking for pinball on the road!

#9 2 years ago

When I was there in 2019 Lucky Strike on the top floor of Ala Moana had 3 or 4 pins. Don't know if they still do. It is kind of like a Dave and Busters. Speaking of which, I think there are a couple of Dave and Busters there, maybe they have some pinball?

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Every vacation should involve looking for pinball on the road!

I’ll admit to doing a quick search whenever I drive anywhere over an hour. You know. just in case.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from toddsolus:

Oh ya. I remember that too. I remember looking at his website.....it was a different island if I remember correctly

Yes, Kauai

#12 2 years ago

There is a Hawaii thread here somewhere… I’ll see if I can find it.

Thread is 9 years old but some posts within the last year https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pins-in-hawaii

I’ve been fortunate enough to go to hawaii a bit and I’d agree looking for a pin is usually the last thing on my mind… but the jet lag can be pretty bad and it takes a couple of days to adjust… if the place was open early I’d probably spend a couple of hours there in the early mornings as I usually just end up walking the strip in Waikiki when I can’t sleep but once that suns up… I’d be out of there

#13 2 years ago

I have had a few customers from Hawaii, not many thou.

#14 2 years ago

I was on Oahu 3 years ago and there were a handful of games in hotels and restaurants in Honolulu. I didn’t see a barcade, just a game or 2 here and there.
    It would be the perfect island for a barcade. Oahu is a popular destination for families and there will be plenty of foot traffic all year.

#15 2 years ago

Just thinking about it makes me want to go back. It’s by far the nicest place I’ve ever been.

#16 2 years ago

I spent a nice chunk of time on Oahu this year. Not much pinball around. The best place I found was 'The Hangar', but it's on an Army Base, so off limits for most. I think if you had a spot in Waikiki, it could do well because of the amount of food traffic. I would certainly go.

My recommend would be to find a space next to the Cheesecake Factory. The line to get in to that place is always absurd. I really don't know why people are lining up for their mediocre microwaved food, but without fail, it's always got the biggest crowd.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I spent a nice chunk of time on Oahu this year. Not much pinball around. The best place I found was 'The Hangar', but it's on an Army Base, so off limits for most. I think if you had a spot in Waikiki, it could do well because of the amount of food traffic. I would certainly go.
    My recommend would be to find a space next to the Cheesecake Factory. The line to get in to that place is always absurd. I really don't know why people are lining up for their mediocre microwaved food, but without fail, it's always got the biggest crowd.

The cheesecake is good though, I like key lime anything and it does have something for everyone… when we go to Waikiki we usually go once to pick up cheesecake and take it back to our condo to eat and watch the fireworks from the roof.

The biggest racket in Waikiki is that breakfast place right on the main drag, went there the last time we were there… view is awesome but the food was your average greasy spoon, can’t really screw up bacon and eggs. There is a place around the corner for half the price that is just as good and no line, just no view.

Edit: oh… agree a place next to Cheesecake factory would do well anywhere on that strip would do well… rent would be crazy you’d think though maybe the big mall would be cheaper.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

The cheesecake is good though, I like key lime anything and it does have something for everyone… when we go to Waikiki we usually go once to pick up cheesecake and take it back to our condo to eat and watch the fireworks from the roof.
    The biggest racket in Waikiki is that breakfast place right on the main drag, went there the last time we were there… view is awesome but the food was your average greasy spoon, can’t really screw up bacon and eggs. There is a place around the corner for half the price that is just as good and no line, just no view.

Denny’s?

#19 2 years ago

Eggs’n’Things on Kalakaua is the place that always has the long line and the other place I don’t remember the name to they are usually handing flyers out in front of Eggs’n’Things.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Edit: oh… agree a place next to Cheesecake factory would do well anywhere on that strip would do well… rent would be crazy you’d think though maybe the big mall would be cheaper.

Rent on that strip is nutty.

My friend and I were going to open a place there. So glad we didn’t, covid would have wrecked us. We did find a place closer to the college.

#21 2 years ago

wouldn't need to be on the strip....lots of abandoned spots all over the city now.
    I am wondering if there is a distributer that deals with Hawaii....and how much shipping of NIB?

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Rent on that strip is nutty.
    My friend and I were going to open a place there. So glad we didn’t, covid would have wrecked us. We did find a place closer to the college.

You opening a spot on Oahu?

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

You opening a spot on Oahu?

Not currently, need another trip to lure me back in.
    I think the potential is high.

#24 2 years ago

Been to Maui 4 times last 5 years, only found 1 pin, at a mancave store. Acdc, he did let me play a few games tho!!

1 month later
    #25 2 years ago

Pdxmonkey toddsolus I moved to oahu about a month ago. Came across this thread because I was going to start one up about trying to connect with anyone else here who is into, operates, or has pins to try to cultivate more of a scene (I was in Los Angeles until December of last year and I'm in serious pin withdrawal). I would gladly dump many dollars into any barcade you open and help out to drum up interest in the community.

Since this thread is pretty recent, I'll see if we can't keep the dialogue going to connect pinheads here to start playing together, even if only on the machines already here.

I met Billygrippo a couple weeks ago at Jerry's Pizza Mill, so that's at least two of us kicking around. Gonna tag any other users listed as on the island. Hell, I'll tag anyone listed in Hawaii because maybe we could meet up at brewery in Kauai with the most pins in the state (7) for a tournament and send someone to the IFPA nationals!

bluehens
    achase
    carrsensei
    PinballHiro
    Jags
    MattFlaco
    pgfesq
    Whirlwinder
    Kahanaohana
    Thestrangebrewer
    speyerk001
    KonaPinball
    garykahn
    zhu808
    HI-TZ

Looks like a lot of these accounts are inactive. If you know other people on the islands, tag em.

So, who wants to meet up for some games?

#26 2 years ago

I’ll be there in the winter for a visit.

Got a buddy outside Kapolei, couple on Maui too. But zero pins between all of them so not much help.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I’ll be there in the winter for a visit.

Scouting potential locations?

#28 2 years ago

Rock Island Cafe located at 1911 Kalakaua Ave had a Wizard of Oz the last time I went (feb 2020).

rock_island_cafe_kalakauan (resized).jpgrock_island_cafe_kalakauan (resized).jpg
    #29 2 years ago
    Quoted from toddsolus:

Looking to see if there is any pinball in Hawaii. Yes I have opened the Pinmap and can see what is posted...but I am hoping there is something there that isn't on the map you know......
    Why hasn't anyone opened a barcade in Honolulu? I mean....I know it is difficult to ship large games across the ocean....but I was there in the early 80s and there were quite a few arcades and locations then....they can't all have fallen into the sea.

Hey there. I'm on the Big Island... Have a few pins here now, working on getting more soon and planning on opening a location. I've also offered techs room and board etc for work trade, (even though I've been forced to become a tech myself) just for fun, and also the potential for a live tech stream, e.g. Marco.

z

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Pdxmonkey toddsolus I moved to oahu about a month ago. Came across this thread because I was going to start one up about trying to connect with anyone else here who is into, operates, or has pins to try to cultivate more of a scene (I was in Los Angeles until December of last year and I'm in serious pin withdrawal). I would gladly dump many dollars into any barcade you open and help out to drum up interest in the community.
    Since this thread is pretty recent, I'll see if we can't keep the dialogue going to connect pinheads here to start playing together, even if only on the machines already here.
    I met Billygrippo a couple weeks ago at Jerry's Pizza Mill, so that's at least two of us kicking around. Gonna tag any other users listed as on the island. Hell, I'll tag anyone listed in Hawaii because maybe we could meet up at brewery in Kauai with the most pins in the state (7) for a tournament and send someone to the IFPA nationals!
    bluehens
    achase
    carrsensei
    PinballHiro
    Jags
    MattFlaco
    pgfesq
    Whirlwinder
    Kahanaohana
    Thestrangebrewer
    speyerk001
    KonaPinball
    garykahn
    zhu808
    HI-TZ
    Looks like a lot of these accounts are inactive. If you know other people on the islands, tag em.

Aloha, you spotted me. Cool. Just wanted you to know that I'm very much active and highly motivated in bringing pinball to the island. Always looking for connections and opportunities to move this goal forward. Also happy to just host and hang out.

z

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

Aloha, you spotted me. Cool. Just wanted you to know that I'm very much active and highly motivated in bringing pinball to the island. Always looking for connections and opportunities to move this goal forward. Also happy to just host and hang out.
    z

Sounds good. I've been hearing the big island has the best diving in the state (and some say among the best in the world) so it's already on my short list for a visit. PinballMap only shows a single machine on location. Are there others?

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from LM24:

Rock Island Cafe located at 1911 Kalakaua Ave had a Wizard of Oz the last time I went (feb 2020).
    [quoted image]

I've been here a few times. Machine has some issues including castle door that won't open. I left a note with the staff for whoever operates the machine, though don't know if it's been fixed up. Assume the code could use an update, as well.

#34 2 years ago

I played a Creature at a store around Kona a few years back ( yes I know thats not Oahu)...

If i can remember where I will post it.

It played nice...

#35 2 years ago

I seem to remember it was round the Tommy Bahama Restaurant there wherever that is... in the same complex.

I remember this because I hate Tommy Bahama but had a few afternoon drinks there.

#36 2 years ago

Sounds good. I've been hearing the big island has the best diving in the state (and some say among the best in the world) so it's already on my short list for a visit. PinballMap only shows a single machine on location. Are there others?

I have MS Frankenstein, Diner, and ToM.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

I have MS Frankenstein, Diner, and ToM.

Nice. Do you know anyone else on the island with a collection?

#38 2 years ago

There used to be a massive arcade in Oahu, Cosmic Fantasy. I'm not sure when it closed, but here's some 1992 video that features pinball, as well as Sega's R360 cabinet for G-LOC.

#39 2 years ago

Pretty sweet name

#40 2 years ago

Nice. Do you know anyone else on the island with a collection?

Yep. I know a guy in Kailua-Kona with at least 10 machines.

#41 2 years ago

Recent stops around the island. Anyone else playing here?

IMG_20210707_212218 (resized).jpgIMG_20210707_212218 (resized).jpg

IMG_20210707_212106 (resized).jpgIMG_20210707_212106 (resized).jpg

IMG_20210707_212051 (resized).jpgIMG_20210707_212051 (resized).jpg

PXL_20210708_071526290 (resized).jpgPXL_20210708_071526290 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #42 2 years ago

Recent stops around the island. Anyone else playing here?
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Nope; other island.

#43 2 years ago

Many thanks to Wally69 for hosting a tournament last night and to everybody who came out.

#44 2 years ago

FYI, there's a Mandalorian Pro at Barbers Point Bowling Center. Trying to find out who the operator is.

3 weeks later
    #45 2 years ago

bluehens
    achase
    carrsensei
    PinballHiro
    Jags
    MattFlaco
    pgfesq
    Whirlwinder
    Kahanaohana
    Thestrangebrewer
    speyerk001
    KonaPinball
    garykahn
    zhu808
    HI-TZ

Howzit! I'm way late to this Hawaii thread... I'm the last one on the list, "HI-TZ" (Hawaii-Twilight Zone). Sorry, I don't login as much as I should. I bought a decent TZ about a year, year and half ago. It had some issues but nothing major -- can't be too picky on an island! I uploaded some pics below. I'm not a pinhead or collector, just bought it for our teen boys. I'm very happy with the machine so far. It has so many features that can be customized. The game never gets old. Reach out any time. I'll try to login in more often. :-0. Laters!

HI-TZ Pin1 (resized).jpgHI-TZ Pin1 (resized).jpgHI-TZ Pin2 (resized).jpgHI-TZ Pin2 (resized).jpgHI-TZ Pin3 (resized).jpgHI-TZ Pin3 (resized).jpgHI-TZ Pin4 (resized).jpgHI-TZ Pin4 (resized).jpg
    #46 2 years ago

good to hear from you HI-TZ and congrats on the great pickup - nice find for and island! Shoot me a message if you want to get a heads up about the next local get-together. Some of the guys are pretty handy with pins, so maybe they could help you out if there are any lingering issues on your TZ

3 months later
    #47 2 years ago

bluehens
    achase
    carrsensei
    PinballHiro
    Jags
    MattFlaco
    pgfesq
    Whirlwinder
    Kahanaohana
    Thestrangebrewer
    speyerk001
    KonaPinball
    garykahn
    zhu808
    HI-TZ

bluehens
    achase
    carrsensei
    PinballHiro
    Jags
    MattFlaco
    pgfesq
    Whirlwinder
    Kahanaohana
    Thestrangebrewer
    speyerk001
    KonaPinball
    garykahn
    zhu808
    HI-TZ

Aloha @bluberryjohnson, Did you visit, and we talk about a tournament at the brewery recently? Otherwise, I never got a message if you sent me one. I don't check here too often, but I thought it sends an email if I get a message.

I run the brewery on Kauai (Kauai Island Brewing Co). I'm having a problem with Addams Family, that I'm not able to fix, Also got an issue with Indiana Jones and Wizard of Oz. I might be able to fix WOZ, but the other 2 are beyond my skill level.

You mentioned there's some people around that know about fixing machines? If they ever make it to Kauai, Please have them get in touch with me.

Or if you make it out here- say Hi. Might be able to join you for a beer and a game.

#48 2 years ago

Hi Thestrangebrewer I made it by in early September but only for about a half hour and didn't connect with you in person. I'll ask the couple guys I know here if they ever make it over to your island.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thestrangebrewer:

Aloha @bluberryjohnson, Did you visit, and we talk about a tournament at the brewery recently? Otherwise, I never got a message if you sent me one. I don't check here too often, but I thought it sends an email if I get a message.
    I run the brewery on Kauai (Kauai Island Brewing Co). I'm having a problem with Addams Family, that I'm not able to fix, Also got an issue with Indiana Jones and Wizard of Oz. I might be able to fix WOZ, but the other 2 are beyond my skill level.
    You mentioned there's some people around that know about fixing machines? If they ever make it to Kauai, Please have them get in touch with me.
    Or if you make it out here- say Hi. Might be able to join you for a beer and a game.

What issues are you having? Aloha from Big Island.

#50 2 years ago

The bar “top of the hill” in kaimuki went down, so I was researching the rent. Couldn’t figure out the rent on it, but a place down the street about the same size, was 8k/month….ouch!

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-on-oahu-hawaii-?hl=zhu808 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.