(Topic ID: 60003)

Pinball on a Stick This Thursday at the Minnesota State Fair! (UPDATED RESULTS!)

By LesManley

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by guyincognito
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

!poas9.jpg
!poas8.jpg
!poas7.jpg
!poas6.jpg
2013-08-26_14.51.32.jpg
2013-08-26_14.51.32.jpg
20130824_205205.jpg
image.jpg
POAS.jpg
POAS2.jpg
!poas5.jpg
20130822_150518.jpeg
!poas4.jpg
!poas3.jpg
!poas2.jpg
!poas1.jpg

There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

Starting this Thursday, Pinball on a Stick (POAS) is back at the MN State Fair for 12 days...Aug 22nd-Sep 2nd. It will be located in the arcade next to the Butterfly Hut gift shop (the original POAS location). 11 machines will be available for play and, if you like what you are playing, many of them will be available to play on an ongoing basis after the fair at Mortimers in Minneapolis. John from D&G is loaning games for the event and helping out the other locals with keeping the games in excellent working condition, so it should be a great 12 days. If you can get to the fair, be sure to stop in and play a few games. If things go well, and with the continued support of locals and businesses, hopefully things can be even bigger and better next year!

Attendance at the fair last year was almost 1.8 million people. This is our chance to expose those people to pinball again or for the first time and let them know that pinball is not dead. It can still be played even after the fair at several Twin Cities locations, not to mention locations across the country and world.

There are some ideas floating around for high score contests and/or other promotions and prizes, so I will update this when those things are finalized too.

Here is the game list...
1. AC/DC Premium (@ Mortimer's after the Fair)
2. Medieval Madness
3. Addams Family (@ Mortimer's after the Fair)
4. Theatre of Magic (@ Mortimer's after the Fair)
5. Wizard of Oz (@ Mortimer's after the Fair)
6. Twilight Zone
7. The Simpsons Pinball Party
8. Attack From Mars (@ Mortimer's after the Fair)
9. Williams Indiana Jones
10. Pirates of the Caribbean
11. Terminator 3

For those Facebook fans out there, here is the official Facebook page for POAS...

https://www.facebook.com/miniPOAS

And here is the details on the MN State Fair for anyone unfamiliar or coming from out of town...

http://www.mnstatefair.org/

POAS2013FinalS.jpg

#2 6 years ago

Wow....that is a fantastic line-up

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Wow....that is a fantastic line-up

The organizers wanted to give people a bunch of classic games that they may remember playing back in the day, along with a couple of the latest and greatest games to hopefully expose them to what's new in pinball. Hopefully people have fun seeing and playing games that they used to enjoy and if they haven't been exposed to pinball, hopefully they see some familiar themes, great light shows and great music and give them a chance.

#4 6 years ago

Outstanding.....sounds like it will be a blast!

#5 6 years ago

I'll be there for sure. gonna grab me a sweet poas t shirt as well

#6 6 years ago

Definitely will be there. Anxious to finally see a WOZ.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Definitely will be there. Anxious to finally see a WOZ.

You're half an hour away from SS Billiards!

#9 6 years ago

Games are being setup in preparation for the fair. Things are shaping up nicely.

!poas1.jpg !poas2.jpg !poas3.jpg

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

You're half an hour away from SS Billiards!

I know, just havn't got up there yet, believe me, I will.

#11 6 years ago

Games are all ready to go. I took one for the team and volunteered to do play testing last night. I gave them a good run and they are working great. A couple external subs, LEDs, nice clean, plenty of space to play and working games. Should be a great 12 days!

!poas4.jpg

#12 6 years ago

Awesome, can't wait till Monday to make it over that way.

#13 6 years ago

I plan on checking it out tomarrow. Nice Line up
thanks, John

#14 6 years ago

Wish I could get back up there this year, just not in the cards.

Have some fried pickles for me guys!

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#15 6 years ago

This sounds like a blast. The Fair and Pinball, what could be better? You guys selling any t-shirts for this event?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

This sounds like a blast. The Fair and Pinball, what could be better? You guys selling any t-shirts for this event?

They will have t-shirts at the arcade for sale. They are specific to this year's POAS, so if you have one already from a previous year, you'll still want one for this year. They are $20 I believe.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from billyd:

I plan on checking it out tomarrow. Nice Line up
thanks, John

The real thank yous should go to Brian Millard and John Galvin, among others. I had the easy job just playing the games and was only there for a couple of hours. Those guys put a lot of time and work into this. They both have families at home with young kids and I know how hard it is to work full time and then try to do anything else, plus spend time with the kids and wife. I hope people get out and support what they are trying to do.

#18 6 years ago

This is awesome on a stick! Checking flight prices now.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

Deep fried bread pudding is new this year.

#20 6 years ago

Pinside meetup @ the fair? Anyone?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I hope people get out and support what they are trying to do.

When will you be there John ?

I'll be there Tuesday morning.

Can't wait to visit POAS !

LTG : )

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

I'll have a foot long hot dog for you Rob.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

When will you be there John ?
I'll be there Tuesday morning.
Can't wait to visit POAS !

I'll probably only get to go once with the family and little ones. It will most likely be the last Sunday of the fair. Unless something is planned, then maybe I could sneak away for a night.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I'll probably only get to go once with the family and little ones. It will most likely be the last Sunday of the fair. Unless something is planned, then maybe I could sneak away for a night.

Going early in the morning on week days makes it tough to meet up out there.

Your little ones will enjoy the POAS and arcade. Glad you can take the family.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

Oh, we'll have more than fried pickles, Rob.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

Deep fried bread pudding is new this year.

Quoted from LTG:

I'll have a foot long hot dog for you Rob.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Oh, we'll have more than fried pickles, Rob.

AWESOME!!

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

The real thank yous should go to Brian Millard and John Galvin, among others. I had the easy job just playing the games and was only there for a couple of hours. Those guys put a lot of time and work into this. They both have families at home with young kids and I know how hard it is to work full time and then try to do anything else, plus spend time with the kids and wife. I hope people get out and support what they are trying to do.

I couldn't agree more, John. I just got back from the fair and everything looks like it's ready to go. We all know Brian's insane but John might be worse. Wait until you see the games John brought out. AFM, TAF, ACDC and WOZ. And they're all damn nice. Even a color DMD in the AFM. What other operator would be willing to help us out with Pinball on a Stick!! And he's one hell of a nice guy besides.

If anyone wants to show John their appreciation of what he's done to help us, please make it a point to stop at Mortimors sometime and drop some coin in his games. He's got one hell of a lineup there.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

AWESOME!!
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

I may have had a beer or two for you when I was there this afternoon. I said "may."

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I couldn't agree more, John. I just got back from the fair and everything looks like it's ready to go. We all know Brian's insane but John might be worse. Wait until you see the games John brought out. AFM, TAF, ACDC and WOZ. And they're all damn nice. Even a color DMD in the AFM. What other operator would be willing to help us out with Pinball on a Stick!! And he's one hell of a nice guy besides.
If anyone wants to show John their appreciation of what he's done to help us, please make it a point to stop at Mortimors sometime and drop some coin in his games. He's got one hell of a lineup there.

Stop in to Mortimers this Sunday for the monthly tournament at 6:00.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

What other operator would be willing to help us out with Pinball on a Stick!!

John Ross isn't helping anymore ?

#31 6 years ago

Was out at the Pinball on a Stick today. Great selection of games and all were nice and clean! I played TOM, WOZ, TAF, AFM and all were great! I would say the only thing that was a bummer was that it was so warm in the arcade. I wish the arcade had some fans of some sort.

20130822_150518.jpeg

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

John Ross isn't helping anymore ?

Never had games at POAS, just helped with service in years past and would be happy to help if needed sounds like they have it covered though besides dont know WOZ too well yet that's LLoyds expertise

#33 6 years ago

Minnesota State Fair = best state fair. Sure, I've never been to any other state fairs, but I stand by my word.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

AWESOME!!
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

Oh..................and mini donut flavored beer. Nope I am not kidding.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Never had games at POAS, just helped with service in years past and would be happy to help if needed sounds like they have it covered though besides dont know WOZ too well yet that's LLoyds expertise

And we thank you for everything you've done for us, John.

#36 6 years ago

A picture from the first day of the fair. Good to see people in quantity playing and enjoying pinball...

!poas5.jpg

#37 6 years ago

Is there going to be a Pinside meet up there, or any time when everyone involved will be there for a meet up ?

I'll be there Tuesday morning. Bryan talked about a weekend.

Anything ?

#38 6 years ago

I'd like to make it to Minnesota one of these days. I don't like the idea of Midwest states I' haven't been to.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Is there going to be a Pinside meet up there, or any time when everyone involved will be there for a meet up ?
I'll be there Tuesday morning. Bryan talked about a weekend.
Anything ?

They were thinking last weekend of the fair, not sure on date or time yet.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Please let me know too John, not a HUGE fan of crowds but I'll come out of hiding for a pinside meetup.

#41 6 years ago

I wish I weren't so far away

I do have some cool POAS swag from a few years back.

POAS2.jpg POAS.jpg

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

We usually meet up sometime in the afternoon on the last Sunday but nothing has been set in stone yet. Keep in mind, we really don't go to hang out at the arcade all day, although we do spend quite a bit of time there, but it's not like we sit and play pinball for hours. In fact, in past years, those of us who have helped move and set up the pins, really don't care if we see them until they have to come back home.

Those who meet, end up breaking up into small groups and heading out in search of our favorite beer and food, so it's not like meeting up at one small location and hanging out.

Once I get confirmation on a date, I'll let everyone know. If you don't hear from me, you're on your own.

#43 6 years ago

For anyone interested, Brian just put this up at Facebook.com/minipoas

Announcing: Pinside get together at "Mini" Pinball on a Stick. Sunday, September 1, 2013 at 7:00 pm. ANYONE and EVERYONE is welcome to stop by. Join us and other local pin-heads for a game of pinball and some nite life at the fair. Fireworks around 9:30. And live entertainment at "The Cafe". We hope to see you there!!!

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

For anyone interested, Brian just put this up at Facebook.com/minipoas
Announcing: Pinside get together at "Mini" Pinball on a Stick. Sunday, September 1, 2013 at 7:00 pm. ANYONE and EVERYONE is welcome to stop by. Join us and other local pin-heads for a game of pinball and some nite life at the fair. Fireworks around 9:30. And live entertainment at "The Cafe". We hope to see you there!!!

Bryan, I e-mailed John about this. That Sunday is the first Sunday of the month, which is Blainbrook's Monthly Tournament. Saturday would probably be better to not conflict with the other pinball event and give people the opportunity to go to both.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Bryan, I e-mailed John about this. That Sunday is the first Sunday of the month, which is Blainbrook's Monthly Tournament. Saturday would probably be better to not conflict with the other pinball event and give people the opportunity to go to both.

Best to contact Brian about that, John.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

From your earlier post you thought you'd be out there then.

"I'll probably only get to go once with the family and little ones. It will most likely be the last Sunday of the fair."

#47 6 years ago

Playing at the fair reminded me to pickup a custom sign at the fair.

image.jpg

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from policano:

Playing at the fair reminded me to pickup a custom sign at the fair.

Too bad they printed it upside down.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

From your earlier post you thought you'd be out there then.
"I'll probably only get to go once with the family and little ones. It will most likely be the last Sunday of the fair."

Key word is "probably". Not sure if it will be Sat or Sun. I'm not worried about me, just trying to help avoid potential conflicts for anyone that may want to do both, if they can be avoided.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Key word is "probably". Not sure if it will be Sat or Sun. I'm not worried about me, just trying to help avoid potential conflicts for anyone that may want to do both, if they can be avoided.

I hope they get it sorted out so I can let people know.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside