Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5D16C569-7075-45E8-8C7E-9F309B85358F (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

On a whim, I signed up for the Pinball Ninja website, not having any clue what to expect.

That was about a week ago and since then, I've watched about 100 repair videos. Who is this guy because he's definitely a Ninja? I'm enthralled and awed by his knowledge and troubleshooting skills. Rattling off what section of a board does what and which chip is responsible for this, or that. Watching him reading a schematic or testing a PIA with a logic probe is effin' impressive.

After watching as many videos as I could in a few days, I decided that I was now an expert and was going to try and tackle the issues I was having with my System 80A. Well, lets just say that watching and doing are two totally different things. I spent the next hour with two friends staring at a schematic trying to figure out where the power came in from the wall. It was like three cave men trying to figure out an iPhone, but he makes it look so damn easy. Let's just say we gave up and went back to playing pinball.

If you haven't paid the couple dollars it costs to join, you should. Even if you don't start doing your own repairs, it's incredible to watch this guy run though a machine like it's as simple as a toaster.

Anyone know who this guy is? If you're out there Mr. Pinball Ninja, I'd love some more videos. I'm going to run out soon and don't care if it's another Bridge Rectifier video, I'd love to see it. Showing people how to solder would be awesome too. I'm always hoping that I'll get to see how you do things because I can't solder to save my ass.

#3 5 years ago

Yep, cfh ...Clay is a legend.

#4 5 years ago

Clay is the foremost authority in pin repair. Has been for years and years. If you can get your hands on a printed version of the original PinRepair guide, it's all you ever need to fix virtually anything pre-2010 or so. He did a whole series of DVDs, too. They are great.

#5 5 years ago

Are the DVDs different than the videos on the website? Or is it just those videos strung together? The chapter numbers listed on the back of the DVD case seem similar to the numbers on the repair website.

#6 5 years ago

He also did some of the only interviews that are available in podcast form from some of the top designers when the future of pinball was very uncertain. Look for TOPcast.

#7 5 years ago

Beware of ninja imposters.

elko.craigslist.org link

5D16C569-7075-45E8-8C7E-9F309B85358F (resized).png5D16C569-7075-45E8-8C7E-9F309B85358F (resized).png
    #8 5 years ago

It's a great blog. Wish he'd get back to updating it, but I get it. There are only so many ways you can say "clean the stepper units," "replace Scanbe connectors," etc. I bookmarked a few of the more unusual repairs and better videos since there is a ton of repetition in posts from common problems. Likewise I read the whole site over a week and suddenly thought of myself as a ninja on machines/systems I've never personally touched.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Beware of ninja imposters.

totally not him. Guess it's obvious how polite the posting is and all.

#10 5 years ago

The DVDs are different and VERY worth it. Each DVD covers a different manufacturer / era so you don't have to buy them all, unless you want to. His WPC DVD is crazy good.

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Are the DVDs different than the videos on the website? Or is it just those videos strung together?

#11 5 years ago

I miss Shaggy and Norm! I was just coming into the hobby just before the guides disappeared. Any reason why he stopped doing the TOP series or did they feel they covered all the bases?

#12 5 years ago

I haven't checked lately, but I don't think that pinballninja.com has been updated in over a year.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I haven't checked lately, but I don't think that pinballninja.com has been updated in over a year.

It hasn’t but still a good resource for repairs.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, updated "weakly"

#15 5 years ago

So... for those of us wondering... How much was it to join the site?

#16 5 years ago

I started getting into Pinball back when I was in high school. I was becoming obsessed, and I had come across the TOP DVDs on his pinrepair website (back when it was marvin3m).

I really didn’t have a way to purchase them online, so I remember begging my dad to order one or two. My dad was a little skeptical about it, but then I proudly said “look! It’s got to be legitimate! Norm from This Old House is in it! I guess he helps fix the wooden cabinets? I didn’t know he was into Pinball.”

My dad being a typical dad who loves this old house, instantly dropped his shields, and bought a couple of DVDs.

When the DVDs finally arrived, we were both super excited to see how this epic This Old House/Pinball crossover would look. We were probably 5 minutes into the EM DVD when I turned to my dad and said “I don’t think that’s really Norm.”

Dad agreed, but we were still completely enthralled. We immediately bought every DVD available, and watched them, even though I didn’t own any game that they were showing repairs on.

I’m still waiting for Norm’s first KISS, and I do feel bad for Boffo’s horrible death, and I’ll never forget my dad saying “what the hell does this have to do with Pinball?!” Whenever Candy would make her appearance to help clean playfield glass.

(Thanks for the good memories, Clay!)

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I started getting into Pinball back when I was in high school. I was becoming obsessed, and I had come across the TOP DVDs on his pinrepair website (back when it was marvin3m).
    I really didn’t have a way to purchase them online, so I remember begging my dad to order one or two. My dad was a little skeptical about it, but then I proudly said “look! It’s got to be legitimate! Norm from This Old House is in it! I guess he helps fix the wooden cabinets? I didn’t know he was into Pinball.”
    My dad being a typical dad who loves this old house, instantly dropped his shields, and bought a couple of DVDs.
    When the DVDs finally arrived, we were both super excited to see how this epic This Old House/Pinball crossover would look. We were probably 5 minutes into the EM DVD when I turned to my dad and said “I don’t think that’s really Norm.”
    Dad agreed, but we were still completely enthralled. We immediately bought every DVD available, and watched them, even though I didn’t own any game that they were showing repairs on.
    I’m still waiting for Norm’s first KISS, and I do feel bad for Boffo’s horrible death, and I’ll never forget my dad saying “what the hell does this have to do with Pinball?!” Whenever Candy would make her appearance to help clean playfield glass.
    (Thanks for the good memories, Clay!)

OMG, that story is hilarious! 5 minutes in?! I like how you used Norm from This old House into him getting them for you. I'd love for someone to see if they can get the real This old House Norm a TOP DVD to sign.

Agree; I watch them every now and then for the laughs yet still learn something new or had forgotten about.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

5 minutes in?! I like how you used Norm from This old House into him getting them for you.

Haha, yea! Well, the website actually used a legit picture of Norm from this old house to advertise it! We both actually thought the real Norm would be involved in some way. I gotta say though, Norm the camera man did sound a lot like Norm the cabinet builder from This Old House!

#19 5 years ago

Pinball Ninja is a great site. I wish he would update more too.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:After watching as many videos as I could in a few days, I decided that I was now an expert and was going to try and tackle the issues I was having with my System 80A. Well, lets just say that watching and doing are two totally different things. I spent the next hour with two friends staring at a schematic trying to figure out where the power came in from the wall. It was like three cave men trying to figure out an iPhone, but he makes it look so damn easy. Let's just say we gave up and went back to playing pinball.

Sounds like you really got your money's worth. Congrats!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-ninja-1?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.