(Topic ID: 241050)

Pinball next to pool table

By Gonza

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8891ECC6-0168-41F5-8AAA-712AC3709E15 (resized).jpeg
    Capture5 (resized).PNG
    IMG_20190412_113820 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190419_141256 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190419_192911 (resized).jpg
    20130515-141524.jpg
    2019-04-18 08_52_15-do you feel lucky punk_ meme - Bing images - Internet Explorer (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

HI guys, Just a small question, Im putting a pool table next to my Pinball and as I dont have plenty of space, Im a little worried a pool ball may jump off the table and hit the Pinball glass/display/backglass.
    How strong are Pinball glasses? How you suggest I can prevént this?

Thank you!!!

#2 5 years ago

I just put my games so people break away from them and then just stand in front of them the entire game to block air balls! Just be ready to dive if need be

#3 5 years ago

2019-04-18 08_52_15-do you feel lucky punk_ meme - Bing images - Internet Explorer (resized).png2019-04-18 08_52_15-do you feel lucky punk_ meme - Bing images - Internet Explorer (resized).png

#4 5 years ago

Make sure you also do not allow any jumping with the cue ball shots either.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gonza:

Im a little worried a pool ball may jump off the table

Not "may" but "will" jump off the pool table (aka laundry table) especially if you have younger players that like to play very aggressively. IF someone breaks the glass it's sooo much fun to clean up. You'll find glass shrapnel for years to come!

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

aka laundry table

Gift wrapping table.

#7 5 years ago

If your getting air balls shooting pool, your not doing something right.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

If your getting air balls shooting pool, your not doing something right.

I agree man but pretty much every family get together there seems to be kids and inexperienced players that seem to be awesome at randomly launching the ball off the table! Ha! I tell them chalks free but they still won't use it

#9 5 years ago

Haha XD Thank you all, forrunatelly I live on my own and dont have childrens or nephews who may come every weekend, but I do have a couple of immature Bfriends maybe Ill Just put a wood table on the glass
    I have played lot of 9ball, 8 ball, and french billiard so Im used to play with caution, also Im not fun of masses, jumps and sloppy tricks so I have low chance of breaking it.

Thank you!!!

#10 5 years ago

Hahaha XD

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gonza:

How strong are Pinball glasses?

Pretty strong until they have a pool ball shot at them.

Quoted from Gonza:

How you suggest I can prevént this?

Forget the pool table idea.

LTG : )

#12 5 years ago

Better protect both the BG and PF glass.

#13 5 years ago

With kids playing pool, you will have to worry about cues going through a backglass too.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

.. the pool table (aka laundry table) ...

Ha, I fold laundry on my pinball machines. 4 of them share the laundry space

#15 5 years ago

I've had a pool table in close proximity to my pins for 20 years with many large booze fueled parties and never had an incident.

#16 5 years ago

The tempered pf glass should be fine. Its pretty darn strong and only likely to break by hitting its corner or edge when removing. I dont think a ball will hit the top with nearly enough velocity to break it.

Backglass will break easier but again that would take a major major screw up to have a ball fly with that much force and go that high to break it.

I think you should be fine. Ive never seen someone screw up with that much force.

#17 5 years ago

MM/MMR slams balls into the glass when a ball is rolling over a troll when it pops up. During Troll Madness multiball, you can guarantee that this will happen at least a couple of times. Sounds horrendous but the glass never breaks. A billiard ball is obviously a much larger diameter, but the force is mass times acceleration. F = MA. I think that a billiard ball can be up to 0.17 kg but a pinball could be 0.28 kg. The pinball has more mass and probably way more acceleration in the troll case mentioned. I'd say you'd be ok, except you are talking about an exterior object, the billiard ball, which could impact the cabinet or LCD as well.

#18 5 years ago

Best solution? Get rid of the pool table! That’s taking up valuable pin space.

#19 5 years ago

One other thing to consider. A player shoots a ball off the table. Another person in one fell swoop picks it up and tosses it back. CRASH.

In my business with 8 foot ceiling. I've had as many lights broken like that as by idiots spinning pool cues.

LTG : )

#20 5 years ago

I keep my pins/arcade machines in one large room; pool table is in the game room with Foosball. Don't mix

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Gift wrapping table.

Pool tables are great for extensive pin shop jobs. Seen it several times.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

I've had a pool table in close proximity to my pins for 20 years with many large booze fueled parties and never had an incident.

Of course, now by posting that you've just jinxed it.

If you really like pins then sooner or later space eaters (foosball and pool tables) must always go to make room for more pins.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gonza:

Im putting a pool table next to my Pinball and as I dont have plenty of space, Im a little worried a pool ball may jump off the table and hit the Pinball glass/display/backglass.
    How strong are Pinball glasses? How you suggest I can prevént this?

Pinball glass is actually pretty strong as long as you aren't striking the edges (which are protected when installed) I wouldn't loose any sleep over it but the best idea is to add another pinball machine (or two) and ditch the pool table all together.

#24 5 years ago

Maybe something like this adapted for a pin?

20130515-141524.jpg20130515-141524.jpg
    #25 5 years ago

Haha awesome

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Maybe something like this adapted for a pin?
    [quoted image]

I know this is a joke but a possible solution is along those lines.

OP - Get one of these for each machine in the path ebay.com link: i Then get some high density memory foam. Cut the foam to the size of the glass, place on game and then cover.

#27 5 years ago

You know we may be over stating the problem here. I mean, I too said bad idea but, yesterday I was perusing the game room thread and saw many pool tables next to pins. I have to believe if it was a problem we would know it by now and I couldn't find one...….

#28 5 years ago

I don’t think you’ll have much of a problem unless the pins are extremely close to the table but if that’s the case then you wouldn’t have room to even play pool. My pins are 10’ away so I’m never worried about it but I do have a window only 5’ away and a ball has never come close to hitting it. And I’ve had some people launch balls off the table pretty good but gravity takes hold very quickly so they don’t ever fly far.

#29 5 years ago

The butt of a cue stick hitting your backglass or cab is a worry for sure though..

#30 5 years ago

I would say if the pins are within 4ft of that pool table, you are "danger close."

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I know this is a joke but a possible solution is along those lines.
    OP - Get one of these for each machine in the path ebay.com link Then get some high density memory foam. Cut the foam to the size of the glass, place on game and then cover.

Great idea Thanks!!!!

#32 5 years ago

Guys, this is a forecast of how the game room Will look like

IMG_20190419_141256 (resized).jpgIMG_20190419_141256 (resized).jpgIMG_20190419_192911 (resized).jpgIMG_20190419_192911 (resized).jpg
    #33 5 years ago

I would suggest turning the pool table 180 degrees, so that the breaks happen in the _other_ direction.

The most likely time (IIRC from my pool hall days) for a ball to fly off the table with force is during the break, and the angle and distance you have there are favorable toward an airball catching one of your games square in the glass.

Of course, in the other direction, those sitting at your bar will be in the line of fire, but this isn't "FRIENDside".

#34 5 years ago

I agree, turn the table to break away from the pins. The upper corner looks a bit close to the pin so maybe cue's into the backglass would be more of a concern. I always enforced the no jump shots, no drinks on the table and don't fuck up the felt rules. Never had any problems around the pool table.

#35 5 years ago

Thank you!!!

IMG_20190412_113820 (resized).jpgIMG_20190412_113820 (resized).jpg
    #36 5 years ago

Looks good. You _will_ have some conflict if pinball is being played at the same time someone needs to make a shot in that area of the pool table; have a "WAIT UNTIL THE BALL DRAINS" rule in place.

There's a lesser chance of that with the MAME machine, but players there can always hit the PAUSE button.

#37 5 years ago

playing pool, break away from the pinball machine, not towards it.

#38 5 years ago

What about a clear plastic window security type film applied to the glass? This way even if it were to crack from having a pool ball land on it , the glass would stay intact (or possibly not break at all).

#39 5 years ago

How about this

Capture5 (resized).PNGCapture5 (resized).PNG
    #40 5 years ago

No issues with my table.

8891ECC6-0168-41F5-8AAA-712AC3709E15 (resized).jpeg8891ECC6-0168-41F5-8AAA-712AC3709E15 (resized).jpeg
    #41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zwovr6:

No issues with my table.

sure there is...its blocking the space for a whole row of pinball machines

#42 5 years ago

Haha

That's one way of looking at it.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zwovr6:

Haha
    That's one way of looking at it.

That's the only way to look at.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-next-to-pool-table?hl=beergut666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.