(Topic ID: 102680)

Pinball Needs Innovation (I'll probably get flamed for this)

By mrs_mezelmods

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-990.jpg
    5913374066_2799267bcf758fc73485472ec44d7047_answer_4_xlarge_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg
    tumblr_mmwszlrqnt1qib2lio1_250.gif
    DSC_8388.jpg
    LexiLightspeed.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zizzlemeplease.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#194 9 years ago

I'm going to agree with "affordability", shame the zizzle project lasted maybe two years because of a couple bad decisions like: "custom" flipper buttons-switches that were too wimpy instead of using better reliable and available arcade buttons, glitchy controller that burns down the popcap solenoid, lack of parts and support.. zizzle might have really become something cool if they hadnt baled out.
    I get it that affordability is going to also mean somewhat simplistic, can be good bad or both..

reading this thread an idea just popped into my little brain, something I hadnt seen that might be a kinda neat innovation, what if all the solenoid hardwares were made to be surface mounted? flipper and slingshot solenoids hidden under the sling plastics, surface mount popcaps with solenoids in the bodies, pop (up!) targets instead of drop targets that drop back down when a row is completed? that might sound kinda silly by itself, but if all that kind of hardware were mounted on glass or something like a scratchproof-ish plexi, it could sit over a TV monitor for all kinds of changing pf artwork and effects.. AND, it'd be possible for the same pf to play a different game that has different rules and associated artwork, even though the physical shots would be the same. 1/8" maybe 3/16" might be enough room for bolts screws sruds or whatever and mechanical linkage and wiring if done really tight-tidy, surface mount components like that could give some more freedom for multi-level pf's too for not needing to hide longer mechanical linkages. as an innovation the surface mount hardwares might open up for some new creativity?

#196 9 years ago

fast.. had no idea someone out there already thinking doing close-similarly, pretty cool.
    looks like the only difference or possible originality being to go surface mounted integrated hardwares like self contained popcaps, pop(swing)UP targets instead of drops. they might be started on those or planning already, or really like the ideas. self contained surface mount popcap wouldnt be incredibly difficult to "invent", same for swing-UP targets that could get caught mechanically or magnetically to be released by a solenoid or countering electromagnet, whichever. theyed need to be light and swing outwards for a ball not to get stuck behind them maybe. the popcaps I'm envisioning could also maybe be "portable", line up the contacts and plant the mounting screw(s) so it could be positioned differently. same for popUP targets or standup targets if they were surface mountable productions, a fairly easily changeable pf configuration.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zizzlemeplease.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-needs-innovation-ill-probably-get-flamed-for-this?tu=zizzlemeplease and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.