(Topic ID: 102680)

Pinball Needs Innovation (I'll probably get flamed for this)

By mrs_mezelmods

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-990.jpg
    5913374066_2799267bcf758fc73485472ec44d7047_answer_4_xlarge_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg
    tumblr_mmwszlrqnt1qib2lio1_250.gif
    DSC_8388.jpg
    LexiLightspeed.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CarShark.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#120 9 years ago

If diversity is needed anywhere, it's in the themes. The Walking Dead is a brilliant choice, but it always seemed like it should have happened before. A music pin is probably coming next, and I'm dreading the day Stern picks yet another 80s rock band. Picks like Kiss and Rolling Stones made sense before because they came out in the late-70s or early-80s when they were at the peak of their popularity. We aren't seeing pinball gravitate to the most popular music performers of the day, like they used to. Now it's just repeats of what the pinball audience of the 80s liked. It all goes back to a basic question: Should the pinball industry and its enthusiasts be working to expand the audience beyond the (here it comes again) middle-aged white male demographic that's at the center of it right now? Or should it be working more to cater towards it? Pinball fell really low. There's a lot of room for growth either way. I'm not as pessimistic as others as to the medium-term health of the hobby. I think that the pinball industry will be able to adapt once people get tired of sci-fi and superhero movies. There just needs to be a way to get more new people into pinball to make up for the one's that have run out of space and/or money.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CarShark.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-needs-innovation-ill-probably-get-flamed-for-this?tu=CarShark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.