6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jdl711
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

We're heading to Sanibel next month for a week. I looked at the Pin Map and do not see any venues listed nearby for playing pinball. If you know of anything in the area, let me know so I can keep my pin fix going during vacation.

#2 6 years ago

I am so jealous! I'd gladly swap you some time playing my pins for some time at the island. If only it were possible.

Sorry i didn't help! Enjoy your visit.

#3 6 years ago

I went there on my honeymoon in 1993! Good times!
    No idea about pins, sry.

#4 6 years ago

Here on captiva island right now for wedding didn't find anything in town yet. Be in ft myers for next few days let ya know if I find any

#5 6 years ago

Bouncer - If you have any recommendations for places to eat or see on the island, let me know. This will be our second year there and still shaking out our regular stomps.

We stay at Sanibel Arms West every year. Hit Captiva at least twice during out stay. Went into Fort Myers last year to see family. Too busy there versus laid back atmosphere on the island. This year family is coming to the island instead for a couple days. Then we send them home!

I didn't look for pins there last year so will watch for them and document on the Pin Map.

#6 6 years ago

I've never seen any pinball on Captiva, Sanibel, or even Fort Myers.

As for restaurants, the Mad Hatter usually has pretty good food, but pricey. The Crab Races at Tween Waters Inn are great but the food is so-so. They have an early show for families, and a later one for adults which I've never been to. There's a good Mexican place on Captiva, near the Bubble Room, but I forget the name. Speaking of the Bubble Room, I've never liked it. The Blue Giraffe is good for lunch on Sanibel. I can't remember the name of the shopping center it's in but it's the one that's all dark brown wood.

The Ding Darling Nature Reserve is beautiful. There's also a Kayak rental place at McCarthy Marina on Captiva, and we did a nice tour for a reasonable price last year. The Dolphin Cruise from Captiva Cruises is very cool, as is their shelling cruise up to Caya Costa. The area around Sanibel Lighthouse also has some nice shelling if you're into that.

#8 6 years ago

I go every year in June as my inlaws have a timeshare by the Lighthouse and I haven't found any pinball around there. But like others said, it's a rare place where you forget about pinball and everything else and enjoy the wildlife and beach. I spend my days watching sunrises by the lighthouse and fishing by the pier. There is a really good breakfast place called the Lighthouse Cafe. Then we research the tides and go shelling during low tide. You can also walk out two sandbars into the ocean. It is pure bliss. Also like others said there is plenty to do and wildlife to see. You can hire a boat to take you out fishing, to see dolphins and wildlife or drop you off on deserted islands to explore. Then in the evening the sunsets on Captiva are amazing and you can go see the manatees congregate around Tween Waters marina.

#9 6 years ago

Man, I am jealous. when the kids were little, we spent Spring break there every year for about eight or ten. Almost always stayed at the Sundial. Great layout. They always had pins in their game room. Usually a FT and STTNG. You would have no problem walking in there or riding a bike, but cars are checked for passes.

My favorite memory was all the pelicans you encounter on the causeway crossing over to Sanibel.

Off the top of my head, onne of the best places we ate was the Jaqaranda, nice place, good food, pricey. Stay away from the Bubble Room, tourist trap with less than good food although I guess everyone has to go there once. Very kitchy. Ran into Robert Downey Junior there when he was going through his rehab issues. Sanibel Chowder Company is good. The Bean is great for coffee/breakfast. I am sure much has changed since we have been last there maybe a dozen to fifteen years ago or more.

I always get a lot out of Tripadvisor. Here is the link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g34616-Sanibel_Island_Florida.html

If you have any interest in chartered inshore fishing or exploring the upper islands, see if Capt. Kevin Kogan is still operating out of McCarthy's Marina (239) 472-5200. He was a mullologist, a scientist specializing in mollusks, so with Sanibel being a renowned shelling location, he was really informative and fun guide.

You can find pins in Ft. Myer but you have to check out most of the bars.

Dan

#10 6 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the Sundial. Some friends go there every year and told us to check out some of the other condos buy just riding in on bikes and checking out the pools etc.

We were going to check out the dolphin cruise last year but were strapped for time. Plan to do that this year.

Our favorite time was shelling every morning when we got up. Temps were a bit chilly so we never got out to the second sand bar during low tide. Maybe this year we will make it out there.

Will have to check out the crab races a Tween Waters Inn.

Thanks for the tips.

#11 6 years ago

You may have some luck heading up the road to Cape Coral.
    http://gulfcoast.metromix.com/facets/bars-and-clubs/loc.gulf_coast_market.lee_county.cape_coral/feature.games.pinball

Should be plenty of pinball to be had (and great eats too).

Ft. Myers beach also has some fun places to eat (try The Yucatan right off the causeway).

I've been to Sanibel a few times for shell collecting, a romantic walk, etc... but there's little to do there in terms of shopping, eating, etc... they try to keep it very residential (hence the huge toll to get on the island).

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from MnHotRod:

Thanks for the tip on the Sundial. Some friends go there every year and told us to check out some of the other condos buy just riding in on bikes and checking out the pools etc.
    We were going to check out the dolphin cruise last year but were strapped for time. Plan to do that this year.
    Our favorite time was shelling every morning when we got up. Temps were a bit chilly so we never got out to the second sand bar during low tide. Maybe this year we will make it out there.
    Will have to check out the crab races a Tween Waters Inn.
    Thanks for the tips.

The thing we liked about the Sundial is the pool is beach front and feels like an extension of the beach. Renting from them directly was very pricey. I usually found better rental rates going directly to owners. Search for Sundial condo owners associate or something of the sort for the future.

I remember the first year there I was possessed to find all the shells in the little guide book. Found almost all but the Junonia of course. My favorite are the little Coquina shells, so many colors!

If you haven't gone through Ding Darling, that can been fun. The roseate spoonbills are quite a sight if you can catch them. Their color comes from their diet of shrimp.

We loved how quiet and undeveloped the town was. There used to be a lovely canopy of trees that covered a long stretch of the main road heading out before the turn up to Captiva. I forget which one, but a major hurricane ripped through them and the town took all the trees down. The interior of the island in many spots looked like a tropical war zone.

If you think about, please share some pics with me after you get back. Thanks.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from rancegt:

I've never seen any pinball on Captiva, Sanibel, or even Fort Myers.

The Pinball Asylum is located in Ft Myers, and while it's not an arcade or always open, feel free to contact them via the website when you're in town.

http://www.pinballasylum.com/Contact_Us.html

Dan and David run the Asylum, and it's FL's IFPA headquarters. It's an amazing place with 20-25 pins setup at any given time, all in top condition, some very unique titles... Zaccaria titles, an Algar, Vector, etc. They can't always open it up of course, but if you give enough notice and schedules coordinate I'm sure they'd love to show it off and play some pinball with you. I have a few machines on loan there, and wish I lived closer, but I only get to make the bigger events as my schedule permits.

There's a one-day IFPA tournament on Jan 19th and it'll be open all day. I plan on attending!

#14 6 years ago

Same here Live in cape coral and never find any
    I'll ask a few friends where they usually play but I think it's in Naples
    As for the asylum you need private invite which can be hard to get and if they have a lot
    Of people in attendance they can't hold too many people I hear small but apparently nice venue
    Good luck

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,700.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Flipper Room
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 93.00
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside