Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by kciaccio
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

50632923_10218087302275640_6833985836355158016_o (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kciaccio.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

About 2 years ago I stumbled upon a rebirth in my life on arcade games..Maybe a mid life crisis.. I started collecting and restoring games that I played in my early teens.. I never played pinball during those years...During that time I didn't feel comfortable with rebuilding the monitors to my games and had another person local do a couple for me. While hanging out at his little shop he had that he did on the side (he is retired) we had some conversation. He was a pinball buy that did this stuff on the side for extra bread but his heart was pinball. He gave me reasons why he thought pinball was superior to arcade games in a casual way that left a little seed in my brain..

A couple months later I visited the an establishment he and some friends had opened called Houston Game preserve..I went there to play the video games.
    I checked in on a few pinballs just to see what he was talking about..got my ass kicked on a couple so it didn't stir anything in my soul at first....but then I was playing Adams Family and it hit..The sound..the sense of reward (even though I didn't deserve it) The machine rewarded me more than any arcade game had ever had and I became awake.

The spark was there...I was the only guy in the neighborhood that had multiple arcade games in his house but people had told me there was some guy in the neighborhood that had pinball machines in his house...After researching how much pinball machines cost I felt like this guy must be god compared to my collection.

I put a blast out in the neighborhood for him to present himself to me. lol

He responds..Turns out he is the only other guy in our neighborhood that drives a Chevy Volt besides myself...Weird... Fate?

I check out his collection..Getaway High speed II...Demolition Man...World Cup Soccer and Williams Indiana Jones...Solid collection.

They are in tip top shape and he does all his own repair work and he repairs copy machines for a living...

I have done minor repairs on arcade machines..Couple of cap kits replaced some chips..re-flowed solder..Mostly cabinet rebuilds are my thing...

Pinball machines I knew were WAY more labor intensive than my arcade machines but I knew having him as my mentor I could take it on.

6 months ago I brought him along to look at a Pinbot machine that fit my price range I felt comfortable in and testing my newly found pinball interest..was not fully convinced to leave the arcade reservation yet especially at pinball price points...

Sold two of my machines to finance the Pinbot basket case plus a little cash...

After I got it home and about 10 games in my garage it had boot up problems...lol

long story short I tore the game down and restored the cab...clear coated the play field and watched my friend trouble shoot the electrical problems.

I have been cutting my teeth on mastering Pinbot and have a second game on the way Tales From the Crypt.

I am kind of pissed that I found this hobby at 48 and not sooner..I was into cars before my midlife crisis into 80's arcade games.

I really wonder if my high school had a pinball machine that the trade shops in our school could play and fix would things have been different...

Would I have found pinball sooner?

Maybe Stern and others donating pinball machines to high school to teach repair skills would benefit the pinball community?

Computer class could alter code...Wood shop could build the cab...Electrical and metal works could build the rest?

I really think pinball needs a little exposure to bring out the pinball in people and paying a dollar to drain a ball in 2 minutes to does not do it.

50632923_10218087302275640_6833985836355158016_o (resized).jpg50632923_10218087302275640_6833985836355158016_o (resized).jpg
    #4 5 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Interesting that I just started down the pinball path myself and started with...PinBot!!! I am almost done bringing a non-working, trashed out PinBot back to life. In fact just last night I heard it say "PinBot's Circuits Activated" for the first time!
    Great story and nice PinBot!!

Seems like a good one to learn some skills on.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Cool story. Howdy neighbor!

Howdy! The man who owned the machine I really wanted...Alien.. lol

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Great story and welcome to the obsession.
    Now you just have to get past the color gi fad.
    ( dont worry most new people experiment with color gi then smarten up later)
    Just be careful pinball machines multiply like bunnies.

Lol. Agreed on the GI stuff. I bought a kit but didn't use it all and might back off on a couple more to white again.. And yes they will multiply like bunnies..especially since I am going through a divorce and buying a new house that I don't have to compromise with the wife on how much space I use..

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Wish I got into pinball earlier as well. I seemed to step in right when prices started flying up. I am about the same age so guess there was more than a few of us having a midlife crisis. LOL. We can't complain, with all the people coming into the hobby we get great new games, more parts being reproduced, and even repro games.
    You are preaching to the choir about getting more pinball out there. It's tough, though. I do wish there were more games on location but have to admit there is a location near me that I don't go very often because of kids, work, life, etc. Pinball is not something you just step up to and play like a video game. It takes more time and patience to develop skills and learn rules. Pins cost way more and take up way more space than your average video game. Then there is all the maintenance involved in keeping a pin running. It just doesn't make sense unless you are really dedicated to pinball.

Looking at the pinball map is depressing in Houston..For being the 4th largest city we sure have a crappy pinball scene...

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

You really drive a Chevy volt??

And a Spark.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

kciaccio, where in Houston are you? Besides the The Game Preserve in Spring, there is Einstein's Pub in Katy. Mostly new Stern titles, but they are very well maintained and worth a visit. 17 games right now.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/8710-einsteins-pub-katy-tx
    There is also league at Joystix Amusements, right by Minute Maid Park downtown, on Mondays nights....we are finishing up a mini 4 -week session, but you are welcome to come by next Monday for 5 games of Matchplay and get to know other pinheads.
    Also lots of great collectors in this city.
    PM ME if you want more details.

Gone to the game preserve a lot but the set up is pretty stagnant. Went to Joysticks for the first time last Friday and will go this Friday but they are open only two times a month and only a from 9pm to 2am. Have not gone to Einstiens yet because after going to places that is pay $15 and play all day to a dollar a play I would be out in an hour or less with $15 to spend and its at least a hour drive from my house so not that appealing..

I might hit you up on the Monday league.

#16 5 years ago

I understand that a dollar a play seems like a lot, but if you put a couple bucks in a game....you do get three credits. The replays aren't unattainable either....just takes some practice and a little game knowledge. These newer games have deep rule-sets, so a lot of times they aren't fun to play if you don't know how to get high point opportunities. The handful of times I've gone there and played just one player games...I had my fill and spent less than $15 each time.
    League at 1820 Bar, connected to Joystix, starts at 6PM...I usually get there around 5 and practice a bit. Games are on freeplay...you will have to pay $10 bucks for league dues (that fee covers all 4 weeks), but you'll likely play enough to cover that....and you can stay after league and play too

Sounds like a great deal. Probably can't get there until 6:30 though. I work until 6..

#18 5 years ago

I’m wrong...it starts at 7. You would be fine

That works. Probably see you guys next Monday. Thanks.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kciaccio.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-my-story-and-marketing-to-the-masses-long-story?tu=kciaccio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.