(Topic ID: 55916)

Pinball museum california - kickstarter

By toyotaboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

poster_85x11.jpg
    Kickstarter_graphic_2014.png
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Bump.gif
    scams2.jpg
    powering_up_PAGG.jpg
    pinball_til_i_die.png
    airstream.jpg
    There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 10 years ago

Just joined to add this, because I've been following this project as well. My contact with the city of Banning indicates that the property 700 S Hathaway is still in escrow pending some toxic waste abatement paperwork. The purchaser of the property is a commercial real estate agent, not John or David. City also said the new owner is planning to split the property into separate parcels.

Why would the Kickstarter campaign indicate they own the property when they don't? Based on this info the loopnet listing for the building is technically correct. Sounds very fraudulent. This wouldn't be the first time a Kickstarter campaign was launched with bad intent.

#202 10 years ago
    Quoted from notgullible:

This wouldn't be the first time a Kickstarter campaign was launched with bad intent.

I don't know why you even bothered. Lets all face it, sadly with only six days left this kickstarter will most likely not reach its goal, they have a long way to go. But why does everyone have to come on here and rain on their parade?

If you don't agree with what they are doing, don't contribute, its that simple. Do you have a personal stake in the land? If they build a pinball museum will it affect you negatively? If not, why bother. Not just you, everyone that's negative about this.

As for me, I did not contribute because money is tight, but I am not going to go around telling everyone this that or the other against it no matter how I feel.

Kyle Kinane is a comedian who said something recently that I really took to heart and I will paraphrase. "I am not here to go against anyone, I will either help you or get out of the way."

#203 10 years ago
    Quoted from notgullible:

the property 700 S Hathaway is still in escrow pending some toxic waste abatement paperwork.

They have stated that they are in the process of buying it. Nothing new here.

Quoted from notgullible:

The purchaser of the property is a commercial real estate agent, not John or David.

I work in real estate and the "buyer" of a property will very rarely have his/her name tied to the property. Of our 2500 or so real estate clients, I would estimate 5% - 10% of those at best use their personal names in the ownership of a big property like this. So just because John or David's names aren't showing as the buyer, it does not mean they are not buying it.

Quoted from notgullible:

City also said the new owner is planning to split the property into separate parcels.

Again, this means very little. The strategy in buying this property may be to split up some of the excess land into smaller parcels to sell of for development and fund the project.

Quoted from notgullible:

Why would the Kickstarter campaign indicate they own the property when they don't? Based on this info the loopnet listing for the building is technically correct. Sounds very fraudulent. This wouldn't be the first time a Kickstarter campaign was launched with bad intent.

You need to bring WAY more to the table than your little super sleuthing spree has produced. You have little to nothing to suggest that this is a scam.

For the record, I have never met these guys. I know nothing about them. They could be pulling a huge, elaborate scheme to pull money from all of us wealthy pinheads (lol), but come on. What on earth could they stand to gain? Also, these are established pin folk with strong ties in the community. You really think they are going to work this hard to scam $150k and then hope to just disappear and abandon their passion for pinball?

#204 10 years ago
    Quoted from notgullible:

Just joined to add this, because I've been following this project as well. My contact with the city of Banning indicates that the property 700 S Hathaway is still in escrow pending some toxic waste abatement paperwork. The purchaser of the property is a commercial real estate agent, not John or David. City also said the new owner is planning to split the property into separate parcels.

I had face-to-face time at CA Extreme and I highly doubt that there endeavor is fraudulent.

#205 10 years ago

"sending out a message to 1 million customers"

#206 10 years ago

46 hours left on this mother... Throw a couple bucks at it of you can! It would be a fantastic addition to the pinball community. It would take a SERIOUS miracle to get this all the way to $150k at this point, but you never know.

#207 10 years ago

Well they talk like it will still happen it will just be delayed. But man, not even $25,000, and one person made up half of that. Possibly the weakest KS campaign in the history of pinball in terms of donations.

#208 10 years ago

davidtrotter - Now that time has ran out, what's plan B? If you build it we will come.

Post edited by Propaganda : Question is for davidtrotter

#209 10 years ago

Too bad it was not funded

Hope they can figure something else out somehow.

#210 10 years ago

This is truly a sad day for Pinball lovers around the world.
    This would (will perhaps) have been the Mecka of Pinball !!

only time will tell now ...............

#211 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Well they talk like it will still happen it will just be delayed. But man, not even $25,000, and one person made up half of that. Possibly the weakest KS campaign in the history of pinball in terms of donations.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/south-bay-pinball-project

Lest we not forget this guy!

Bummed that this one didn't work out, but I trust Mr Weeks has something up his sleeve, he's very dedicated and he's done too much work to just give up!

#212 10 years ago

I think a softer approach is in order. That is, this is scalable. To just wake up and decide to open a 500 game museum is pretty ambitious. Instead start with 5000 sqft and 50 games. Less build out cost. Get that up and running and allow that to fund further expansion.

For example Tim Arnold was hell bent on getting $1 million before opening. Mike s. from ppm told him, "just open under a lease and that will increase your funding dramatically." And it sure did, allowing Tim to get the cash to buy a building.

Again this is scalable. Start with a smaller model and build the size as success dictates. I did it that way too with crazy Carl's (20 games) to tilt town (40 then 100 games) to flipper city (130 games) to the vfwpinball.com project at 200 games.

And the build out can go in steps too. Just do the minimum to get open and do extra remodels as money allows. Again it's the approach I'm taking with my kick starter pinball museum project. Over ambition can be really frustrating.

#213 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

For example Tim Arnold was hell bent on getting $1 million before opening. Mike s. from ppm told him, "just open under a lease and that will increase your funding dramatically."

That is what I thought.

I've often thought of doing a kickstarter to replace some of the games I've sold to stay open. But not one to try and add 100 games. Keep it realistic.

LTG : )

#214 10 years ago

hyperloop

1 week later
    #215 10 years ago

Sooo does this mean this project won't be done? I got the impression that they were doing it even if they didn't get the kickstarter funding? I mean they kinda went way out of their way with marketing, branding, website, the podcasts.. Hope to see this project come through sometime soon

#216 10 years ago

I think the Kickstarter was just to get it done faster...no?

#217 10 years ago

davidtrotter has not posted in a month here since BEFORE the end of this kickstarter...

Total silence?

If it was me, I would have just posted some closure statement like:

"Hey guys we tried. Thanks for all of you who supported this. Maybe we can try again or make this happen another way..."

or

"Since we did not reach our goal, we are cancelling the project for now...thanks for your support etc..."

1 month later
    #218 10 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#219 10 years ago

Project is still a go. It's definitely going to happen.

#220 10 years ago
    Quoted from mikeincali:

Project is still a go. It's definitely going to happen.

Do you have a date or source?

#221 10 years ago

Yes I do have a source and date. Am I saying who and when? To be continued...

#222 10 years ago

On bummer! I miss their zany staged adventures. I hope they get back on track.

#223 10 years ago

I hope this is all true!!!

#224 10 years ago

it will happen, one day !!
    2014 is the year dreams come true !!

#225 10 years ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

2014 is the year dreams come true !!

So my Chargers will win the Super Bowl in February, right?

#226 10 years ago

not sure
    but Holland will win World Cup in Brazil, right ?

#227 10 years ago

Well I've arrived!
    Now what?image.jpgimage.jpg

#228 10 years ago

John is a stand up guy. Best of luck to them. I will support!!!

1 week later
    #229 10 years ago

On a trip out that way awhile ago, I saw no external visible progress at the proposed Banning site. The for sale sign has been removed. That's all that I noticed. So if something is happening, I can't see it.

#230 10 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

So my Chargers will win the Super Bowl in February, right?

He said dreams.

Nothing about hell freezing over.

2 months later
    #231 10 years ago

Anyone heard anything further regarding this museum idea?

#232 10 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Anyone heard anything further regarding this museum idea?

I talk to John on regular basis, and it's still happening. Hopefully by this summer.

#233 10 years ago
    Quoted from mikeincali:

I talk to John on regular basis, and it's still happening. Hopefully by this summer.

That's fantastic news! This is like a dream come true.

3 months later
    #234 9 years ago

In light of this new announcement:

https://www.facebook.com/arcadeexpo

Anyone with some inside info?

#236 9 years ago

well anyway... thats some nice collection.

1 month later
    #237 9 years ago

We thought you'd like to know that we're hosting our first event, and we'd love for you to join us - www.arcadeexpo.com

#238 9 years ago

Good luck with that great looking place!

#239 9 years ago

Very cool to see these games finally getting a home!

4 months later
    #240 9 years ago

In preparation for Arcade Expo (January 16-18, 2015 in Southern California), we thought it would be fun to attempt to break the WORLD RECORD for the "most people playing pinball simultaneously" which was recently set by the Texas Pinball Festival earlier this year. A little friendly competition...all in good fun!

If you'd like to learn more and RESERVE YOUR SPOT, watch the video here > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/museumofpinball/new-world-record-most-people-playing-pinball-simul/

And, if you'd like to purchase a ticket for Arcade Expo, click here > http://www.arcadeexpo.com
    Kickstarter_graphic_2014.pngKickstarter_graphic_2014.png

1 week later
    #241 9 years ago

Download a PDF flyer (8.5 x 11) to post or hand out to friends > http://www.arcadeexpo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/poster_85x11.pdf

poster_85x11.jpgposter_85x11.jpg

There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-musueum-california-kickstarter/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.