Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 251 posts
  • 127 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by gonzo73
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_2040 (resized).JPG
    DSC_2039 (resized).JPG
    DSC_2037 (resized).JPG
    DSC_2036 (resized).JPG
    19654EBB-F436-4982-91EB-62BCA52E3FD7 (resized).jpeg
    79339899-14D5-4742-AFED-9E05FAA42F08 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    priestly eXPEIMENT (resized).PNG
    C1E5B1AD-1BCB-4446-B661-6C66B6BD8E34 (resized).jpeg
    sillyrace (resized).png
    ohyeah.gif
    baywatchslide.gif
    fd3265778fc5dd6b9d1357df5547dab99e8c2619.gif
    he-wont-be-pushed-around (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

Just started watching the auction. Prices seem high to me, but I haven't purchased working machines in a while...
    Lot #2 Superman wide-body sold for $3700.
    Lot #3 Sky Rocket EM sold for $2600
    Lot #4 Nitro Gound Shaker sold for $2300

Insane.

Don’t forget to add about 20-25 percent in taxes and fees. Plus shipping costs, which will likely be astronomical for people who use the auction’s suggested shipper instead of Navl. I won Dio’s couch at auction and they tried to charge me $1400 to have it shipped from LA.

Prices will be absolutely stupid for this action. Like most of you 10 people I know who don’t know anything at all about pinball except that I’m into it texted me about this auction. Another 5 texted my girlfriend about it.

They’ve done a killer job promoting this thing so it won’t just be pinball people bidding on games.

#63 2 years ago

I think it all boils down to this:

Hardcore pinball enthusiasts remain a tiny, insignificant niche, and our opinions on everything from pinball pricing to how companies like Stern run their business are totally meaningless and out of touch in the grand scheme of things.

One auction with huge publicity reaching beyond our tiny little club and way out to the general public to the tune of the New York Times’ readership rendered all of our brilliant opinions and vast knowledge of the pinball market completely moot.

We see signs of this all the time: supposed “flops” like Munsters and Zep selling like hot cakes, 20 years of “the bubble is about to burst!!” Threads proving nothing but wishful thinking; JJP playfield “fiascos” making some think they are on the brink of implosion while games continue to fly off the line and into folks’ homes; the hysterical whining every time Stern raises their prices and people insist it will destroy the hobby;

But this awesome and hilarious auction really puts an exclamation point on things, moving my thinking towards one sad, inescapable conclusion:

We really don’t matter.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Wait until these new collectors who overpaid for their games have something break and render their overpriced toy unplayable. Lifting the hood and troubleshooting a pinball machine for most here is fairly routine, but for your average person it would be like popping the hood on their car and trying to work on it. The difference as we all know is there is a car repair shop in even the smallest of towns, but pinball repair shops not so much. Many of these new collectors may not understand that pinball machines require regular maintenance and will end up with a pretty looking boat anchor sitting in their living room.

There will def be some disappointed kids on Christmas morning. A good number of these games are likely basically projects.

#144 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I guarantee that i would not be able to sell my games for anywhere near those prices and my games are in super nice condition.

I also can guarantee that

People, this is a novelty. The freak outs should
    Be tempered.

No, your games are not now worth banning auction money. Unless you have 1100 games and can get your auction publicized in the New York Times.

Deep breaths people.

#179 2 years ago
    Quoted from peely:

Lots of newbies with NI. We're seeing it in Aus too, all that knowledge you may have built up about fixing pins imho will be worth its weight. Like the 5v blly/Williams watchdog circuit, the earth issues with system 80 gottliebs, the time it takes to get an AX relay working on a Gottlieb EM etc.
    These people know nothing about fixing games. Lots of cheaper "broken" games too be had in the future or perhaps a great change of career for some?

It’s gonna be tough wrestling these games out of peoples hands for 1/5th of what they paid for them.

I’d just say techs in those areas should triple their rates and expect to be very busy.

#182 2 years ago

If I get a call from a banning auction buyer you can be sure they are not getting my best service call quote.

If they are willing to pay 500 percent value on a pinball machine I can only imagine what they’d pay to get it running.

#214 2 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

I suspect this was a lot of corporate buyers who took advantage of all of the machines being available at once to pick up 10-30 for employee rec rooms or whatever. If they were using corporate money then the cost is of no consequence. It will be interesting to see what happens for support. If I am right these companies will be looking for maintenance contracts

Yeah I know a lot of bosses who are looking to buy 10-30 machines for their employee Rec rooms.

Wait…whut? Is it the 1999 dot com boom?

Regardless, my boss was only looking for 5 games for our Rec room so he had to pass on the auction.

#216 2 years ago
    Quoted from shlt_thunder:

Judge Dread for 9.5k blows my mind. That is a game I have seen many times locally sell between 2-3k. A lot of people like it, but that is not a 10K machine regardless of condition.

It’s impossible to pick one mind-blower, there are dozens of them.

Can’t wait for part 2. Will the fire cool? I have a feeling it’ll be a little calmer a month removed from all the press and hype.

#218 2 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I remember selling a working Judge Dredd to my canadian friend for $300. now that was like 10 or 15 years ago, but still... i could not sell it here in michigan, no one wanted it.

Was that out of that fat container load you guys unboxed on camera?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-museum-auction-selling-has-begun?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.