Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by tyking
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

19654EBB-F436-4982-91EB-62BCA52E3FD7 (resized).jpeg
    79339899-14D5-4742-AFED-9E05FAA42F08 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    priestly eXPEIMENT (resized).PNG
    C1E5B1AD-1BCB-4446-B661-6C66B6BD8E34 (resized).jpeg
    sillyrace (resized).png
    ohyeah.gif
    baywatchslide.gif
    fd3265778fc5dd6b9d1357df5547dab99e8c2619.gif
    he-wont-be-pushed-around (resized).jpg

There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 40 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

9000 dollar Fireball
    9000 dollar Dirty Harry
    Thats going to hurt come tomorrow.

I just bought a near perfect Dirty Harry for $2700 a year and a half ago. That's nuts.

#203 40 days ago

I thought everything was over priced but I've completely changed my mind after looking at this:

ebay.com link: itm

$49,999.97 for a MANUAL !!! Not even the game !!!

#204 40 days ago

I they had a Supreme pinball machine , I wonder what that would've brought in?

#205 40 days ago
    Quoted from chad:

I they had a Supreme pinball machine , I wonder what that would've brought in?

pasted_image (resized).png
    #206 40 days ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Btw, what’s the deal with Cosmic Princess (Australia) for $13300? Is Cosmic Princess special? Does the Australian version make it even more special?

Specifically, they were made in Australia - - on it's west coast, Perth, a whole continent away from the closer-to-the-US east coast (Sydney). They only made 336 of them. Only a handful were exported out of the country, so it's rare to begin with and rarer still to see one here. I don't think I've ever seen one up for sale before, though I don't watch all the auctions. Is it worth that? I really like the game, and I know Classics, but I wouldn't spend more than $2K on one, and that would have to be in top condition. But someone_ was willing to pay that, and someone else was willing to pay almost as much and drive the price up. I hope they're happy with it.

You might find this thread interesting:

https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/67018-stern-cosmic-princess-price-check/

#207 40 days ago

Sold an average one for about $800 AUD 6 years ago if that helps.
    Not a great player compared to other classic sterns

#208 39 days ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

what’s the deal with Cosmic Princess (Australia) for $13300? Is Cosmic Princess special? Does the Australian version make it even more special?

Only 336 ever made - and the only Classic Stern pin never released in the USA.

If anyone wants my Cosmic Princess, which is tidier than the MOP one, for around the same deal, feel free to drop me a PM. Everything is for sale at the right price.

rd
    79339899-14D5-4742-AFED-9E05FAA42F08 (resized).jpeg

#209 39 days ago

I wonder whether anyone donated machines to the museum and is distraught over what they are selling for.

1. Open museum
    2. Take donation machines
    3. ??? (In this case, shorthand for go under and auction them off)
    4. Profit!

Of course I don't for a second think that was their plan. But hard to think that with these prices, there won't be money, possibly a lot, left over when they pay off their debts...

I imagine they won't just put it in their pockets anyway. Were they incorporated as a non-profit?

#210 39 days ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Only 336 ever made - and the only Classic Stern pin never released in the USA.
    If anyone wants my Cosmic Princess, which is tidier than the MOP one, for around the same deal, feel free to drop me a PM. Everything is for sale at the right price.
    rd
    [quoted image]

Shouldn’t those plastic lane guides be one sided just above the flipper? (That would otherwise be slingshots)

#211 39 days ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

4) some shenanigans going on.

5) Fraudulent/frivolous bidding

#212 39 days ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:For people who have been there, what is the average condition of these pins?

A Bally Hi Deal single player EM went for $3900. It was in Average shape with the metal backbox door missing. This is what leads me to believe that there is frivolous bidding going on here... Or do people not care about the condition of the game?

#213 39 days ago

I suspect this was a lot of corporate buyers who took advantage of all of the machines being available at once to pick up 10-30 for employee rec rooms or whatever. If they were using corporate money then the cost is of no consequence. It will be interesting to see what happens for support. If I am right these companies will be looking for maintenance contracts

#214 39 days ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

I suspect this was a lot of corporate buyers who took advantage of all of the machines being available at once to pick up 10-30 for employee rec rooms or whatever. If they were using corporate money then the cost is of no consequence. It will be interesting to see what happens for support. If I am right these companies will be looking for maintenance contracts

Yeah I know a lot of bosses who are looking to buy 10-30 machines for their employee Rec rooms.

Wait…whut? Is it the 1999 dot com boom?

Regardless, my boss was only looking for 5 games for our Rec room so he had to pass on the auction.

#215 39 days ago

Judge Dread for 9.5k blows my mind. That is a game I have seen many times locally sell between 2-3k. A lot of people like it, but that is not a 10K machine regardless of condition.

#216 39 days ago
    Quoted from shlt_thunder:

Judge Dread for 9.5k blows my mind. That is a game I have seen many times locally sell between 2-3k. A lot of people like it, but that is not a 10K machine regardless of condition.

It’s impossible to pick one mind-blower, there are dozens of them.

Can’t wait for part 2. Will the fire cool? I have a feeling it’ll be a little calmer a month removed from all the press and hype.

#217 39 days ago

I remember selling a working Judge Dredd to my canadian friend for $300. now that was like 10 or 15 years ago, but still... i could not sell it here in michigan, no one wanted it.

#218 39 days ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I remember selling a working Judge Dredd to my canadian friend for $300. now that was like 10 or 15 years ago, but still... i could not sell it here in michigan, no one wanted it.

Was that out of that fat container load you guys unboxed on camera?

#219 37 days ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

For people who have been there, what is the average condition of these pins?

I visited in 2019 and it was a mixed bag. Latest pins were naturally in great condition but older games were a mixed bag ranging from good to poor to unplayable. It became clear to me that they just had so many games it was impossible to keep them all running.

I recall playing Centaur and it was really a poor experience. Basically most vintage games only fixed to the absolute min so you could plunge the ball. This was a museum where you could see them but not a place were games were all tuned up or anything. I remember walking up to Strange World for example, right flipper was hanging limp - unplayable and cab in poor condition.

Basically for older games expect them to be in routed condition and if it’s better, you’ll be happy.

My guess is many will be surprised once they unwrap.

Some of these games are selling for HEP-restored prices for routed quality. I’m just dumbfounded. What strange, alternate world have I warped into?
    19654EBB-F436-4982-91EB-62BCA52E3FD7 (resized).jpeg

#220 37 days ago
    Quoted from spinal:

What strange, alternate world have I warped into?

The one where non-hobbyists with lots of disposable income learned about this auction from the Today Show and/or New York Times.

#221 37 days ago

If you’re in the pinball restoration business, get ready for all these beaters - once these buyers see what they bought up close, they’ll be looking to you. HEP 4-yr waiting list coming up.

#222 37 days ago
    Quoted from spinal:

If you’re in the pinball restoration business, get ready for all these beaters - once these buyers see what they bought up close, they’ll be looking to you. HEP 4-yr waiting list coming up.

No thanks! I hope they like “patina”.

#223 36 days ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

I am not going to post all the sales, but I thought there would be some interest in the first 25 sale values:
    The Amazing Spiderman Pinball Machine Gottlieb $3,500
    Superman Pinball Machine Atari SS $3,700
    Sky Rocket Pinball Machine Bally EM $2,600
    Nitro Ground Shaker Pinball Machine Bally SS $2,300
    Eight Ball Champ Pinball Machine Bally Midway SS$2,300
    Waterworld Pinball Machine Gottlieb $4,900
    Time Line Pinball Machine Gottlieb SS $2,800
    Spanish Eyes Pinball Machine Williams EM $2,700
    Algar Pinball Machine Williams SS $3,300
    The Red Max Rare Pinball Machine Bally $5,900
    Spin Out Pinball Machine Gottlieb EM $1,700
    Special Force Pinball Machine Bally $1,900
    Harlem Globetrotters On Tour Pinball Machine Bally SS $3,800
    King Kool Pinball Machine Gottlieb EM $1,900
    Escape from the Lost World Pinball Machine $2,800
    Scorpion Pinball Machine Williams SS $3,000
    Comet Pinball Machine Williams $3,000
    Hollywood Heat Pinball Machine Gottlieb $3,500
    Monte Carlo Pinball Machine Gottlieb $3,400
    Big House Pinball Machine Gottlieb #1 $5,300
    Diamond Lady Pinball Machine Gottlieb $3,800
    Ready Aim Fire Rare Pinball Machine $2,900
    Jacks To Open Pinball Machine Mylstar $2,800
    Lights Camera Action Pinball Machine Gottlieb $3,000
    Gladiators Pinball Machine Gottlieb $2,900

Wow, I picked up my Diamond Lady 6 years ago for $800.

#224 36 days ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Average.
    It’s not a literal “museum”.
    I have a feeling a few buyers are gonna go “WTF” when they see what they bought.

Or maybe not. There are a lot of folks that don't know what the "street price" values are for pins.

#225 36 days ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Wait until these new collectors who overpaid for their games have something break and render their overpriced toy unplayable. Lifting the hood and troubleshooting a pinball machine for most here is fairly routine, but for your average person it would be like popping the hood on their car and trying to work on it. The difference as we all know is there is a car repair shop in even the smallest of towns, but pinball repair shops not so much. Many of these new collectors may not understand that pinball machines require regular maintenance and may end up with a pretty looking boat anchor sitting in their living room.

If it's a digital pin, it could easily get serviced by someone - and the owner that just paid 2-3X what he should have for a pin won't have a problem with a few hundred bucks for a tech to put in a new board.

The EMs though are a different story.

#226 36 days ago
    Quoted from oldbaby:

So far Rocky selling for 10,000 is the big surprise. (The hammer price is the sale price, right?)
    Someone in the other thread called it a "white cabinet Rocky". Does that just mean the cabinet isn't the original cabinet, or has been painted over?
    Does anyone know if there's anything special about this particular Rocky?
    Edit: I checked it out and there's not, they would have mentioned it in the description.

Maybe it has a crotch shot of "ADRIAN"?

#227 36 days ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

not to mention the 2400 Raven ......seriously

When I think of the "dog days" of Gottlieb, this title pretty much comes to mind.

#228 36 days ago
    Quoted from Sparky_89:

Holy Crap. Hercules just sold for 18000 + taxes and fees. Historical value on pinside is 4900... How disappointing for the actual player.

The game play for Hercules might be worse than a Bally home title.

#229 36 days ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

I am not going to post all the sales, but I thought there would be some interest in the first 25 sale values:

I'm archiving all the pinball sales data in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-museum-of-pinball-auction-price-reference

#230 36 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I know a lot of bosses who are looking to buy 10-30 machines for their employee Rec rooms.
    Wait…whut? Is it the 1999 dot com boom?
    Regardless, my boss was only looking for 5 games for our Rec room so he had to pass on the auction.

In Silly Valley, where engineers are being paid $200K, overpaying by a few $K each for pins for the rec room is no big thing.

#232 30 days ago
    Quoted from CrisCrow:

yeah some of these are just ridiculous, I havent seen any actual deals mostly just insane prices

An aspect of this auction’s prices, which likely happens more or less on some scale in every auction, is competing bidders who bid each other up for what ever reason. I am guessing that competitors bid each other up as much as possible, so that the competitor has less total to spend per pin. I would think that in the heat of this auction, the bidders have smelled the proverbial blood in the waters and just started bleeding each other out, since they all know they can bid each other up.

How these bidders are allowing themselves to get bid up so far above “market” price is another question. Isn’t it that one of three things is happening? Either (1) the bidders are uninformed and do not realize that they can go somewhere else to get the same thing for less, or (2) the bidders are looking to get in long term, so the prices will be okay for the future, or (3) the bidders are playing a game of chicken.

#233 30 days ago

Is it the case that the Ghost Busters pin is the last item for sale in this auction?

https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/80/lot/20473?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F80%3Fpage%3D12%26xclosed%3Dyes

If my theory is correct, then there may be a small chance that the initial bidders have bled each other dry prior to that pin coming on the auction block, and I can sneak in and get a good deal on it for like $6K.

#234 30 days ago
    Quoted from tyking:

An aspect of this auction’s prices, which likely happens more or less on some scale in every auction, is competing bidders who bid each other up for what ever reason. I am guessing that competitors bid each other up as much as possible, so that the competitor has less total to spend per pin. I would think that in the heat of this auction, the bidders have smelled the proverbial blood in the waters and just started bleeding each other out, since they all know they can bid each other up.
    How these bidders are allowing themselves to get bid up so far above “market” price is another question. Isn’t it that one of three things is happening? Either (1) the bidders are uninformed and do not realize that they can go somewhere else to get the same thing for less, or (2) the bidders are looking to get in long term, so the prices will be okay for the future, or (3) the bidders are playing a game of chicken.

Your thoughts may be true to some extent, but not true in other cases. I personally have been looking for a free fall Gotlieb EM 1974 AAB version (or alternatively a sky fall) for a number of years. Free Fall had only 600 or so made. One of them was at the museum. So to just say you can find it somewhere else...no problem...for less money is not really true. See right now if you can find either option on pinside right now?

I didnt care at all what other bidders were bidding on other machines. I only was concerned with that 1 machine.

A machine is worth what someone else will pay for it -----and not necessarily what you would pay. Law of supply and demand.

#235 30 days ago
    Quoted from dsupica:

So to just say you can find it somewhere else...no problem...for less money is not really true. See right now if you can find either option on pinside right now?
    I didnt care at all what other bidders were bidding on other machines. I only was concerned with that 1 machine.
    A machine is worth what someone else will pay for it -----and not necessarily what you would pay. Law of supply and demand.

You my friend, are someone I would want to have in an auction with me. I also would not try to bid other people up and bid on pins that I did not actually want, just to see if I could get someone else to over pay for something.

My thought is premised on the pins that you could find on sale somewhere else. For the pins that are ultra-rare, I can see your point. If you and I both want the Sky Fall, and there is only one for sale, and you and I don’t care how much we have to spend to get it, then we are more in the category of auctions for works of art, where the sky’s the limit on prices…

There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside