View topic image gallery

7.png
6.png
5.png
4.png
2.png
3.png
1.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dri.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I just moved house (rental) and got the owners permit to "do whatever I wanted" with the garage and attached workshop as they're going to tear it down in a few years anyway once I've paid off their mortgage.

There was only one real wall which essentially was the old garage wall which was flat and then there was a row of nicotine stained cabinets (previous tenant used this as a cigar room(!)).

I had the idea of doing an old pinball machine side art, one on each of the cabinets and wall. It did not make much sense as the dimensions were way off. Why not just stretch it across? It stood between Silverball Mania and Wizard. With this behind me I'm VERY thankful I went with SBM. So, I started tracing a bitmap of the sideart I found on the Internet, as I started to clean it up I realized it was way off and had to do a new search or find something else.

I came across Pinball Pimp (http://www.pinballpimp.com/) bragging about their stencils left, right and center. As samples are available on the website I could clearly see that the craftsmanship in those traces are absolutely perfect, nothing less! I tried peel off the trace from Jeff but he wouldn't have it which is completely understandable, the amount work here can't be just given away (and there might be a violation involved of the T&Cs with PPS I would assume). Anyhow, I did manage to get a bitmap rendered in the proportions I wanted that traced just perfectly (I've been using Inkscape and The GIMP for this). I must stress, this mural wouldn't be a quarter as good if I hadn't got the help from The Pinball Pimp Jeff!

I borrowed an old conference room projector with decent throw and started tracing on the wall, I had to do it in small sections with the projector standing on it's side, five projections went in to this and below is the transformation.

It was really difficult to find a color that matches as The Home Depot only tinted from pre-baked swatches.

Enjoy!

All yellow and dull!
1.png1.png

White!
2.png2.png

First session, this took 2.5h!
3.png3.png

This looked better than I ever would think!
4.png4.png

Working in progress! (cheating on the straight lines with blue tape)
5.png5.png

GoPro wide angle shot!
6.png6.png

#20 8 years ago

Wow, 48 upvotes! Thanks a lot!

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Don't put any pins or vids in the room ... they might conceal the mural.

Machines will be put along the opposite wall, but I do need to put my workbench along the flat wall...

7.png7.png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 169.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dri.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-mural?tu=dri and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.