(Topic ID: 5502)

Pinball Moving Issues! - US to Canada Help!

By TigerSaw

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

UPS_or_US_Express.JPG

#1 12 years ago

okay, so I am looking to buy my first pin! yay! ... it's in the states, I live in Canada. I contact NAVL about moving the pin for me, they say they have a 4000Lb minimum is they go accross the border.

Any ideas on who else could do this, for a cheap rate? I figure you guys might know how do this best.

What do I do?

#2 12 years ago

You pm'd me about this machine. I didn't know you were buying from the states. Is the price (which I obviously won't mention) the cost to the seller alone, or the inclusive of the cost, shipping, taxes and brokerage fees? If that is just the seller's costs, you have some massive extras to consider. There is no duty as they are American made, so don't let someone rip you on that.

There is a guy in London that is a customs broker that I could hook you up with for this sort of thing. Is this a company you are buying from?

#3 12 years ago

UPS or US Express...

UPS_or_US_Express.JPGUPS_or_US_Express.JPG

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

You pm'd me about this machine. I didn't know you were buying from the states. Is the price (which I obviously won't mention) the cost to the seller alone, or the inclusive of the cost, shipping, taxes and brokerage fees? If that is just the seller's costs, you have some massive extras to consider. There is no duty as they are American made, so don't let someone rip you on that.

There is a guy in London that is a customs broker that I could hook you up with for this sort of thing. Is this a company you are buying from?

it is a single individual that lives in IL USA, she seems nice enough and fairly honest. Cost wise what am I not seeing? ... your help would be greatly appreciated!!

#5 12 years ago

Shipping will likely run you $300-$600, depending. You will need a customs broken to cross the border and complete all required paperwork, percentage of sale price usually, I'm guessing $200-$300, taxes upon entering 13% HST on sale price (don't think about trying to lie, they aren't dumb at the border and have less sense of humor than you might think).

Check this out. A little outdated, but the jist of it is still the same:

http://www.cgcc.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7594

You would be better off to wait for one in Ontario.

#6 12 years ago

i have bought 4 pins from the states. have your machine dropped off at a warehouse that is close to the border, but in the states. there should be many warehouses that hold things for canadians.google is your friend here. the cost should be very cheap.go with a buddy to pick it up and simply pay the taxes on the pin and enjoy. make sure you have printed out any emails , reciept from bank etc. to verify your purchase price. do not get a broker, did i mention do not get a broker, that would be $tupid.

cost of pin+transport to border+small fee at warehouse+taxes(no duty)+beers for helping buddy=pinball arrival at home.

#7 12 years ago

I a PO BOX at the ups store right on the border in the US. I am fairly sure i could have it delivered there and pick it up. I wonder how much that will run.... any ideas or ball parks?

thanks for this info guys, it's a huge help.

#8 12 years ago

I've used Fedex Freight two times to ship from US to Canada.
    I have them deliver it to the Kitchener transfer station and I pick it up from there.
    Usually around $300 from Chicago and NYC.

#9 12 years ago

@ninjedi

That $300 you paid, did that include customs charges, GST/PST, etc? Or was that just the cost of shipping?

I'm looking to bring up some machines myself, and it's been a royal pain so far.

Thanks

#10 12 years ago

If you have an SUV, and you go alone, pack light and keep all your things in the passenger seat, Then you can just call it a vacation. Go down to the states, stay in a nice hotel, fold down your back seats and load in your new pin.

Of course this really only works if you were planning on a trip to the states anyway, because otherwise the price of gas, the hotel, etc, will probably cost more than UPS shipping.

Hey at least you get a little vacation out of it, right?

#11 12 years ago

I thought you were shipping, so my comments were based on that. If you have the "drive" (pun intended) to go pick it up, that is the best method, however with gas, possibly a hotel night, still taxes, and time to do so, this is the dilemma.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

There is no duty as they are American made, so don't let someone rip you on that.

please explain?

Quoted from Atomicboy:

I thought you were shipping, so my comments were based on that. If you have the "drive" (pun intended) to go pick it up, that is the best method, however with gas, possibly a hotel night, still taxes, and time to do so, this is the dilemma.

what taxes should i expect to pay on a pin? so far it's $3500 for the machine alone.

#13 12 years ago

Duty, under nafta free trade (whatever it is), means that pinball machines made in the US are duty free. I'm assuming you are aware of duty costs for products purchased in the states, such as bringing back merchandise and alcohol and such. Anyway, no matter how much, pins are duty free.

As for taxes, you are required to pay our HST for any product purchased in the states. This means that on $3,500, you would be responsible for $455. You ***WILL**** need a invoice of sale from the seller with their contact number. Without this, you can get into a ton of crap at the border, and anything is possible (not believing your story, charging more...).

Now having said that, with bringing anything back, they could either waive you through, or bring you in, charge you the taxes and make you tear the machine down to search.

I went down with a group to Allentown this year. I returned with a LOT of parts, LEDs, and we had a trailer with I think 5 machines purchased. We picked a line at the border where every car was going off for a "secondary" (off for a search), and given our trailer, we couldn't fathom that we were making it out easy. Once we spoke to the border guard, he found it amusing that we were at a pinball show, looked briefly at the full amount of receipts we had, which were in order, and waived us through, even though I was about 4 bottles of scotch over the duty free limit.

Whatever you do, just be honest and straightforward. I have heard from many collectors that have had very bad experiences due to trying to knock the paid price down when declaring and lying. They have to know and have price values for EVERYTHING.

#14 12 years ago

I brought my Shadow up from the Seattle show. I had a hand written note saying how much I paid, with both our signatures on it. All I had to do was pay the tax on it, they didn't even look at the game or anything. Was SUPER easy...

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

I brought my Shadow up from the Seattle show. I had a hand written note saying how much I paid, with both our signatures on it. All I had to do was pay the tax on it, they didn't even look at the game or anything. Was SUPER easy...

how much was tax?

#16 12 years ago

He lives in BC, thus he would be BC taxes. You are charged taxes based on where you live, this is Provincial side taxes, thus you will pay 13% HST.

#17 12 years ago

Atomic boy is correct

But the border people also gave me a break on a portion of the cost, so I got to pay the tax on about 3-400 dollars less of the price.

#18 12 years ago

Yes it was $303.14 for shipping.
    I had to pay another $100 or so for custom brokerage.

Send me a PM if you want the contact info I used.

#19 12 years ago

what if i have it shipped to the border but not across it, is that cheaper?

#20 12 years ago

Doesn't matter. Tax is tax. If they bring it over, you pay tax, if you bring it over, you pay tax. You can't escape it unless they waive you through and you get lucky.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

But the border people also gave me a break on a portion of the cost, so I got to pay the tax on about 3-400 dollars less of the price.

TRUE. I crossed the borders three times with pins and there is no problem there. The border people just want to see the e-mail copy with price on it. They will charge the taxes according to the price on the e-mail conversation. They never check the price on E-bay or look at the pin.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-moving-issues-us-to-canada-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.