(Topic ID: 109989)

pinball mfgs stealing all the modders hard work?

By toyotaboy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by calvin12
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What say you? Is it stealing?”

• It's a free market, every pinball idea gets stolen eventually 50 votes
      41%
    • At least give credit where credit is due 7 votes
      6%
    • It's not really stealing because someone else probably did it first 5 votes
      4%
    • Who cares 61 votes
      50%

(123 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Now Jersey jack has effectively stolen mezelmod's idea by putting an LCD inside the book on hobbit (yes I know oz had the LCD inside the crystal ball).

Do you really think mezelmod came up with the idea for that display out of the blue? That they never saw the LED display inside the TV on TSPP? Or the numerous LCD's added to TZ's over the years? I don't.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Should pinball manufacturers be ashamed for stealing innovation rather than creating it?

No, but some modders should be ashamed of only taking from the hobby and not giving anything back. Mods don't add new people to the hobby, just money to the pockets of those who make them. At least Stern and JJP still sell a few games to operators. Ask yourself which one is better for the hobby overall.

2 weeks later
    #30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Where did you come up with this fallacy? Most mods make games more enjoyable to own, sure, but there are mods that make purchasing the entire game worth while such as Eli's Tron ramp lighting kit, or beatmaster's interactive vengeance mod.

How do they add new people to the hobby? Are you suggesting that there are new folks coming into the hobby buying games only because specific mods are available? That they wouldn't have started collecting games unless those mods were available? Look at what you quoted above and tell me how mods are adding new people to the hobby.

Quoted from Aurich:

Same place he pulls all his other cranky ideas about darn kids not playing pinball on location and diluting his precious. Just compliment the onion on his belt and don't make eye contact is my advice.

I contribute a hell of a lot more to the hobby than you ever will. I also recruit a hell of a lot more new people to the hobby than you or your mods ever will. I just don't post about everything I do in the hobby here like you do. If your mods (any mods) are attracting boat loads of new people into the hobby, I'd love to hear about it.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Kinda what I was saying.
    IMHO; STLE did not justify the price difference between it and a Premium.
    Stern should have included a lot more for that price tag.

Steve Ritchie publicly stated that a diverter and kicker at the top of the VUK he planned for wasn't able to make it into the premiums and LE's due to engineering issues. It was supposed to kick the ball onto the warp ramp, or back to the flipper if I remember correctly. The plan was for them to have more. Shouldn't be held up as an example or trend. I haven't talked to Steve about this personally, but I don't suspect it was a cost cutting move. Purely an engineering issue, as he said.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Just because you think that adding new people to the hobby is the most important measurement of whether a pinball-related activity is worthwhile or not, doesn't mean that everyone should. Not everybody has the same passions or priorities as you, and that's fine. That's how some people are artists and some people are social workers.
    I can understand distaste for half-assed mods that are obvious cash-ins. But all it takes is for one person to buy it, and be happy with it, for it to be considered worthwhile. The argument, then, isn't about whether mods are objectively bad for the hobby, they're about how you feel about them.

I was replying to the original poster, who said Stern and JJP are stealing from modders. Which is ridiculous on a number of levels. Since he took a shot at JJP and Stern, I took a shot at modders. I wasn't suggesting people stop buying mods. That ain't happening. My point was to encourage folks to buy mods from Stern or JJP rather than the modders as those two companies help grow the hobby. Do you want our hobby to continue to grow? I sure do.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, screw the little guys and your community, support big business!!

I operate a few games (little guy) and play on location regularly. I support my local community just fine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-mfgs-stealing-all-the-modders-hard-work?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.