(Topic ID: 109989)

pinball mfgs stealing all the modders hard work?

By toyotaboy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by calvin12
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What say you? Is it stealing?”

• It's a free market, every pinball idea gets stolen eventually 50 votes
      41%
    • At least give credit where credit is due 7 votes
      6%
    • It's not really stealing because someone else probably did it first 5 votes
      4%
    • Who cares 61 votes
      50%

(123 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

How many modders even have business licenses? How many report their modding incomes to the IRS?

I know I do. Being audited isn't my idea of a good time, my books are clean and I pay my taxes.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Where did you come up with this fallacy?

Same place he pulls all his other cranky ideas about darn kids not playing pinball on location and diluting his precious. Just compliment the onion on his belt and don't make eye contact is my advice.

I'll also say that toppers, side art, shooter rods, basically anything Stern is offering have been commercial mainstays since before Pinside existed, let alone the modding community. They're hardly "stealing" anything. Furthermore it's highly unlikely they're going to go back and offer anything from their back catalog, so we're talking brand new games only.

If you're doing pinball mods as a full time business and trying to chase only the newest stuff then yeah, they're competition. They have the licenses and aren't as likely to look the other way as in the past. So it's strong competition. Just means you either have to be better and smarter and faster and cheaper (or some combination thereof) or instead focus on the decades of awesome existing games that people love.

I don't really see it as an issue myself. I will say as someone who dances around the grey areas of things (I do original art, but my projects are too small time to be able to be licensed) I wouldn't personally try and compete with Stern. Just seems like asking for more trouble than it's worth. But this isn't a job for me, I do it because I enjoy it, and it makes people happy, and the money I make from it just goes back into pinball. So Terry or Stern or the guy trying to sell his Fathom (hey, who's doing that? Let me know!) end up with any profits in the end.

#39 9 years ago

Yeah, screw the little guys and your community, support big business!!

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Stern is "big business"? Are they "the man" too?

Stern is great. But they're not going to make or break on the backs of mods. They should focus on making better games.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

I find it hard to believe anyone saw a $200 mod then said, damn now I gotta get a $5000 pin.

I've lost track of how many people told me they bought The Shadow after seeing my translite. Of course it's still probably less than 10.

Whatever, this whole "omg who does more for pinball" thing is a joke, I'm not going to engage in it. No one here owes anyone else anything. If I choose to have some fun making art and people choose to buy it then great. I do it because I want to, not because I feel obligated.

All I know is I enjoy it, and people are happy I do it and tell me so, and I enjoy that part too. It feels good to make people happy. If Stern makes something cool and you want it then buy it. I don't really begrudge them anything. It's just that their games could use a little more baking sometimes, and you wonder, could the prison on TWD have maybe been a little better if resources weren't sidelined into making a topper? Maybe that's unfair, but it's worth considering.

If they want a piece of the pie they have as much right as anyone to play the free market though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-mfgs-stealing-all-the-modders-hard-work?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.