Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220607_143101 (resized).jpg
    20220531_143519 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1711885248616 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dpadam450.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Curious if anyone has any expertise or knows: So Stern/Jersey Jack/Chicago gaming are UL certified manufacturers. Homepin/Spooky are not listed. Curious what people's thoughts on this are. Even if they are using off the shelf UL certified parts, there are still standards on wiring and where you can place certain A/C voltages and what not.

I know its not required legally to be certified, but for how much money Spooky has made, I'd think the small fee to get certified would have been smart.

#9 1 year ago

Thanks for the responses.

Quoted from GregCon:

UL certification is not a low cost or minor ordeal.

UL gave me a quote and it was extremely inexpensive (cheaper than the cost of a new Toy Story pinball machine). And that includes on-site testing of your product. Pinball schematics are very simple, so I'm curious to see really how long the full process takes for approval.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Personally, UL certification (or CE certification) is not something I ever look for, so whether or not a product (or pinball machine) has it hasn't really mattered to me.

For sure, I'm lookin at this from the business side. For insurance/legal reasons even if some kid decides to try self-repair and touches the A/C power supply and something happens, better to be on the safe side. There is a fairly recent video of Stern's Gomez talking about power supply placement to make UL happy, so they seem to at least be on top of the standards even today.

Quoted from aeneas:

btw afaik CE is self-certifying. You don't have to get it tested somewhere

Haven't looked much into CE but that is interesting if they don't test.

Here is the Gomez video I referenced.

#17 1 year ago

bdw85, good info. I will definitely get to the bottom of what they are quoting. If it's really that annoying and costly then yea I'll skip it. I'll definitely grab a copy of the standards at least so that we have done due diligence in safety.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dpadam450.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-mfg-s-not-ul-cert?tu=dpadam450 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.