(Topic ID: 209776)

Pinball Mfg company competitive... What If curiosity regarding titles.

By Yelobird

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Theatremagicwand (resized).JPG
    Copperfieldcabartwork (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yelobird.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

OK just a Curiosity no pole required. I have wondered with Several companies now competing for market share and increased secrecy (till "Pinside" gets wind lol) regarding future plans What would these manufacturers do if they found out one of the other guys was doing the Same title?? I can assume from concept to production must take Many months, crazy amounts of cash, and a ton of labor till it sees market. If say Stern was 3 months into design etc on a game and found out say Spooky (enter name doesn't matter) was doing the same would they Ramp up and blast it out to gamble on them backing down or would they pull the reigns back and say we're to late and not worth the gamble on lost market share if they hit it out of the park? We are talking serious cash for these projects and for many companies they only get 1 Maybe 2 swings at market per year. This curiosity hit me after watching a documentary on the toy manufacturers back in the day that would even pay spies to find out what the Other company was doing to beat them to market with a comparable product with hopes to overturn their ship. Barbie (Mattel I believe) was notorious for this. Not that I collect Barbies...There Not Mine! Just a curiosity put to post.

#5 6 years ago

Understood but say its an Unlicensed theme like Alice in wonderland, Gone with the wind, the Bible whatever? Even an obscure none theme like clowns or cell phones... What if god for bid Stern was hot to make an iPhone theme and got wind of Dialed in? Obscure I know but on the other side of the coin the days of a one horse race are Happily gone. Just crazy thoughts.

#13 6 years ago

Interesting points and all make sense. So what about on a lessor scale. What about a specific show stopping feature? As a what if example; AP made an Awsome game with the biggest primary wow (not patented) feature being the 22” ball throw. (Very cool and can’t wait to get mine). What if Stern or other said piss on that let’s do that in our next what ever theme and scoop that concept? Heck, we’ll even do a revolving stage (no patent) and call it a revolving box! Stern could surely beat a start up to production with there resources and majorly defuse interest in their offering as same old of sorts. Again, the scenarios are just what popped into my head not real nor of value! Love AP but just wonder if this industry would compete to such levels for $$$ domination.

5 months later
    #15 5 years ago

Appears my curiosity was answered. Godzilla!!!!! Pinball is a business like any other it appears.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yelobird.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-mfg-company-competitive-what-if-curiosity-regarding-titles?tu=yelobird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.