Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jpitchjr
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skillshots.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

My partner and I are starting a pinball membership club open to the public. Not an arcade, but all about pinball. We've finished our business plan and are now ready to start purchasing machines. We need to buy 24 machines for our shop. If you were buying 24 machines all on free play, what ones would you ensure were in your shop? Any advice is appreciated!

#3 12 years ago

We have about $80K to buy machines. We are opening in August, 2012. Want a mix of cult classics, new releases and just fun. thoughts?

Business model is pay by the hour or buy an annual membership for unlimited play. Also will have machines designated for just members, not open to general public.

#7 12 years ago

Thanks! what about Twilight Zone, Cirqus Voltaire, Theatre of Magic and Tales of the Arabian Knights. worth buying?

#10 12 years ago

We are pinheads, have them in our basement and thought it would be a great idea to bring guys like ourselves together. We've run parties/tourneys in our basements and decided, WTF. why not do more. Business plan, support services, all taken care of. no background in pinball, just love it!

#12 12 years ago

seen CP Pinball online, very cool have you visited?

#14 12 years ago

Haven't nailed that down yet but there will be a members only night and tournament/league night also I imagine. Met with both Stern and Jersey Jack last week, they are interested in co-marketing, launch events and even prototype evaluation for members only.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I assume the name of the new establishment will be Skill Shots?
    I think this is a great idea. The northern/northwest Chicago suburbs are totally dry when it comes to location pinball. The pinball community really needs something like this, and I predict it will be a huge success.

Thanks. and yes, you are right. How original huh? We are documenting our story on facebook as we set the business up if you search for skillshots pinball. Want to respect the site and not advertise but we want to put the best product out there we can. Taking all feedback and suggestions!

#19 12 years ago

Thanks to all for the advice. more questions coming as we build this out. any guidance always appreciated.

#21 12 years ago

It's close to home for us which makes it easier for a start up. If people like it and it takes off, we will open more I assure you. Will put Oak brook on the list.

#23 12 years ago

Found a guy in Ohio says he can get us any machine we want within two weeks. shopped out and everything. Meeting him on Friday ath www.ohiopinballshow.com. checked him out and he is legit.

#26 12 years ago

will keep it in mind. we have a list of 50 machines right now need to cut that in half. I'd like to play it. I figure i'm my best test market. Any thoughts on the Jersey Jack WOZ machine? He offered to give us a discount and make us distributors if we were interested? Do you think the market is ready for more high tech in pinball?

#49 12 years ago

We are definitely looking for retail space. We don't want anything too big. We don't want to be an arcade. We want to be about pinball and only the pinball experience. We were able to meet Steve Ritchie and George Gomez at Stern last week and they said they'd attend our opening. Got really geeked out when they said that! I think I'm going to buy AC/DC Premium this weekend. So we will at least have AC/DC and WOZ. We will take all the advice we can get. thanks!

#51 12 years ago
    Quoted from kapper:

I'm in real estate and would be happy to give you some free advice. Retail space is going to be significantly more expensive but obviously has the benefits of exposure.
    If you want to talk it over let me know your email addy and I will get in touch with you.

Tried to send PM but disabled

#52 12 years ago

Thanks for offering to help. Advice as we get this thing going and hopefully, if we are so fortunate, seeing all of you IRL at our shop once we open would be great!

#56 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

I'm curious.
    What would a yearly membership cost? I'm having trouble thinking about how much I WOULDN'T pay.

Haven't set a fee yet. What would be a fair annual membership if you had members only nights, machines the general public couldn't play, member only tourneys and special events?

#57 12 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

Pittsburgh has a place that is like this. You pay 5-8 bucks and get to play for an hour. The games get beat, younger people get board and leave the pins in the middle of games, and the money coming in vs maintenance is a major factor. This place has 10 tables plus numerous arcade games and they really aren't arcade machines anymore. They are just beat boxes of wood with scores on them.
    My suggestion is make a pinball club that has some sort of a fee plus coin drop but make the coin drop low like 25 cents.

What's the name of the place. Would love to see how NOT to do it.

#67 12 years ago

Love topless Tuesdays! First order of business! Lol. Thanks!

#68 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

PS....When you establish a successful business model, I want to be a franchisee in Raleigh, NC I could invest 80K in starting a business

Franchising is a ways off but glad you see some positive things here. First year will be a lot of trying new things I think to get it perfect before we open the next one. Will keep you in mind for sure!

#89 12 years ago

Really great ideas, love the brainstorming! couple things we don't want are to just be an arcade, or a Gameworks. We want to change the model. This is about Pinball for Pinball people. I agree there should be both membership (with lots of perks, if you are going to pay more you should get a lot more), and then a pay through the door. Coin drop we are on the fence about but considering. We are not looking for teenagers to loiter or anything like that. We definitely want to be part of the pinball movement, bringing some life back into pinball, new players, be the destination, etc. Sounds corny but we want it to be special and the members to feel a part of it. And i agree on the maintenance comments, we have already talked to a few technicians in our area and they are interested in being on retainer working with us.

#94 12 years ago

Clay, thanks so much. We are very passionate about this and feel we can make it work if we don't get too big and keep it a close eye on it. Whether we make money or not, this is our dream and if we monitor it well, based on your suggestions, I know it can work!

#96 12 years ago

I agree completely. The pinball anarchists are not our core customer. We want people who care. We are not in this to get rich, it's a place to meet, have fun, and experience pinball. I talked to my partner last night. What do you think about members getting a piece of the action. Like sharing in the net revenues (revenue after repairs, maintenance, etc.) or money off their annual renewals if we do well?

#98 12 years ago

i agree, instead of just my partner and i policing the shop 24/7, it would create a whole membership base that has an interest in it being successful. 300-400 people who have a stake in it is very compelling i think. The company i work for has a profit sharing model and i got the idea from that. i'm thinking like 10% of the revenues allocated to the members (who are with us for at least 12 months) as money off their membership. do you think that would work?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skillshots.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-membership-club?tu=skillshots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.