(Topic ID: 221125)

Pinball manufacturers pay their employees a living wage?

By roffels

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Who-Dey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

untitled.png
    2e1bfm (resized).jpg
    YN6qUXj4HdXoY.gif
    D0839218-8B80-4A9A-BCFE-0C74227274E8 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

Does anyone know if companies such as Stern or Jersey Jack pay their employees at all levels a living wage, provide health insurance, sick time, and personal time off? Do assembly-line workers work reasonable hours? Is profit-sharing offered?

#2 5 years ago

Most assembly line employees at Stern are through a temp agency. The temp agency thing has been documented and talked about previously on here.
    -Mike

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Most assembly line employees at Stern are through a temp agency. The temp agency thing has been documented and talked about previously on here.
    -Mike

Thank you, that helped me find a reddit post with some not-so-flattering stories that hopefully aren't really the case. Shame if it is.

#4 5 years ago

What, do you want to pay even more? WTF???

#5 5 years ago

Why do you care? Maybe you’d rather they were made in China and those folks would be unemployed.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Why do you care? Maybe you’d rather they were made in China and those folks would be unemployed.

Quoted from TVP:

What, do you want to pay even more? WTF???

It's good to support businesses that take care of their employees. No, I'd rather the work not be exported to China. China doesn't exactly have a good reputation for treating their labor right.

#7 5 years ago

I've been offered jobs by two companies recently. I didn't ask what they paid. I suspect at least some areas of the companies they are willing to pay a good wage. Since I would be incurring relocation costs just to get me there.

LTG : )

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I've been offered jobs by two companies recently. I didn't ask what they paid. I suspect at least some areas of the companies they are willing to pay a good wage. Since I would be incurring relocation costs just to get me there.
    LTG : )

Good luck with wherever you end up or stay. I was debating walking a good 9 miles to visit SS earlier today, but it's too hot! Maybe tomorrow.

#9 5 years ago

I've seen union local stickers within Bally EM pinball machines I've owned. An old-timer told me those were the only union-built pinball machines.

I find it interesting that people here want to know EVERYTHING about the current manufacture of pinball machines but bristle at this line of investigation.

I'd be curious as well about this type of information. It's not like it keeps me up at night, but hey, folks are just asking questions!

#10 5 years ago

I understand they have a nice assortment of microwave ovens where their employees can heat their frozen burritos.

#11 5 years ago

"Living wage" is a loaded political term primarily designed to virtue signal.

#12 5 years ago

The “Remanufacturer” I work for is a real tight ass. No overtime pay,no company health benefits,no sick days ,no profit sharing only sharing the losses.
    I am living the American dream. I own the company
    Seriously even when you are your own boss you don’t get all that stuff. These are jobs not a lifestyle adjustment.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

"Living wage" is a loaded political term primarily designed to virtue signal.

Ok, how about do they make enough to work 40 hours a week, pay rent, eat healthy, and have their medical needs taken care of? We're talking about producers of $5000-$8000 fun machines, I dont really see how this should be controversial.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Ok, how about do they make enough to work 40 hours a week, pay rent, eat healthy, and have their medical needs taken care of? We're talking about producers of $5000-$8000 fun machines, I dont really see how this should be controversial.

FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS
    or something.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I understand they have a nice assortment of microwave ovens where their employees can heat their frozen burritos.

Yeah, that I can verify from my tour 6 or 7 years ago.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Most assembly line employees at Stern are through a temp agency

Explains a lot !

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

The “Remanufacturer” I work for is a real tight ass. No overtime pay,no company health benefits,no sick days ,no profit sharing only sharing the losses.
    I am living the American dream. I own the company
    Seriously even when you are your own boss you don’t get all that stuff. These are jobs not a lifestyle adjustments.

Yeah, being a business owner sounds like a tough gig and something we're not all cut out for. Hopefully if you have employees, you treat them well and that business stays good for you.

#18 5 years ago

Stern requires all employees to play at least 30 minutes of pinball at work each day. Where I work now, they wouldn't tolerate that at all.

I need a better job.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

But who gets to define "living wage for pinball producer"? And why do they get that power to define that? And will that wage be the same for each individual or if I have a family with six kids do I get paid six times as much because I would need that much for it be livable?

The idea that people should be paid fairly sounds wonderful. The controversy is in the details.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

But who gets to define "living wage for pinball producer"? And why do they get that power to define that? And will that wage be the same for each individual or if I have a family with six kids do I get paid six times as much because I would need that much for it be livable?
    The idea that people should be paid fairly sounds wonderful. The controversy is in the details.

So you support paying them more?

Would it be better if I asked if Stern or JJP pays enough for their line worker or receptionist or whatever to work 40 hours, pay for a 2 bedroom apartment within 10 miles of the business, and be able to afford food and medical?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Agreed.

If every job paid the same, what job would you choose? How many of us would choose a job that ends at the whistle, instead of spending extended hours, plus taking work home.

Just food for thought OP.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Agreed.
    If every job paid the same, what job would you choose? How many of us would choose a job that ends at the whistle, instead of spending extended hours, plus taking work home.

I'm talking about the bare minimum here to survive.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

So you support paying them more?

The idea sounds wonderful doesn't it?

The reality of wage fairness is not a yes or no question. If pinball employees are paid too much than the games become too expensive. If they are paid too little the quality of the construction drops. If they have wonderful healthcare and healthcare costs skyrocket than the companies will have to lay people off.

Do you support simplifying complex issues down to easily digestible sound bites and buzz words?

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

The idea sounds wonderful doesn't it?
    The reality of wage fairness is not a yes or no question. If pinball employees are paid too much than the games become too expensive. If they are paid too little the quality of the construction drops. If they have wonderful healthcare and healthcare costs skyrocket than the companies will have to lay people off.
    Do you support simplifying complex issues down to easily digestible sound bites and buzz words?

Those aren't the only options. Gary Stern could take a smaller cut, for example. And if a business cant afford to take care of their employees, maybe they shouldn't exist as an entity.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I'm talking about the bare minimum here.

People have a choice. Those working at Stern, JJP, etc have decided the work and pay meets their needs. No one is forcing them to work there. In short, it’s none of your business.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

...cant afford to take care of their employees, maybe they shouldn't exist as an entity.

This is a very extreme perspective you have. I refer back to my original reply to this thread.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

People have a choice. Those working at Stern, JJP, etc have decided the work and pay meets their needs. No one is forcing them to work there. In short, it’s none of your business.

Sure it is my business, who we support and why matters.

I work in sourcing of product, and its frightening how much exploitation is in our supply chain. I do my best to avoid working with businesses using slave labor and give businesses to those taking care of their employees and suppliers. Same should apply to who I support outside of work.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I'm talking about the bare minimum here to survive.

Define bare minimum. One might assume that would be called minimum wage.

If you spent $80,000 and 5 years learning a profession, and I started working right out of school doing a general labor job, should we be paid the same?

I think you are truly over simplifying this

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Yeah, being a business owner sounds like a tough gig and something we're not all cut out for. Hopefully if you have employees, you treat them well.

It is just me these days but what a lot of people don’t always understand about the expense of employees is that it goes well beyond the hourly wage and benefits.
    You have to match their social security and Medicare.
    So a guy that brings home say $600 probably truly cost a company close to $1200 with all these additional things like insurance,workman’s comp and deductions but he feels he only makes $600 because that is what he can deposit or cash and his motivation might reflect as such.
    Point being is employees pay their bills and live a lifestyle with their net pay but employers hire and manage employees based on true cost and expenses so there will be a disconnect.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Define bare minimum. One might assume that would be called minimum wage.
    If you spent $80,000 and 5 years learning a profession, and I started working right out of school doing a general labor job, should we be paid the same?
    I think you are truly over simplifying this

You should both have access to healthcare and housing you can afford. If you have high technical skill and your work is in demand, you should be compensated more.

#31 5 years ago

If you mentioned PINSIDE in the job interview, chances are you are not getting a call back

#32 5 years ago

It is just me these days but what a lot of people don’t always understand about the expense of employees is that it goes well beyond the hourly wage and benefits.
    You have to match their social security and Medicade.
    So a guy that brings home say $600 probably truly cost a company close to $1200 with all these additional things like insurance,workman’s comp and deductions but he feels he only makes $600 because that is what he can deposit or cash and his motivation might reflect as such.
    Point being is employees pay their bills and live a lifestyle with their net pay but employers hire and manage employees based on true cost and expenses so there will be a disconnect.

True. I work in pricing and sourcing, this is my day to day. I am grateful I work for a business that pays a living wage to entry level employees, and know it's incredibly tough to do.

#33 5 years ago

Yes they do. If they didn't make a living wage they wouldn't work there. This kind of talk isn't good for pinball.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Yes they do. If they didn't make a living wage they wouldn't work there. This kind of talk isn't good for pinball.

What? Lots of people hold jobs without living wages. It’s a big problem right now.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I work in sourcing of product, and its frightening how much exploitation is in our supply chain. I do my best to avoid working with businesses using slave labor and give businesses to those taking care of their employees and suppliers. Same should apply to who I support outside of work.

You obviously don't support The Walt Disney Company then.

#36 5 years ago

You have to match their social security and Medicade.

It's Medicare. Medicaid is part of the welfare system.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

It's Medicare. Medicaid is part of the welfare system.

Thanks I know phone has a mind of its own with the typing.

#38 5 years ago

D0839218-8B80-4A9A-BCFE-0C74227274E8 (resized).pngD0839218-8B80-4A9A-BCFE-0C74227274E8 (resized).png

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

You obviously don't support The Walt Disney Company then.

Regrettably they've gotten my (personal) money. I'm not perfect.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Thank you, that helped me find a reddit post with some not-so-flattering stories that hopefully aren't really the case. Shame if it is.

Link please?

#41 5 years ago

I for one would drive a Zamboni as my full time job provided everyone was paid the same hahaha

Quoted from RonSS:

Agreed.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

I for one would drive a Zamboni as my full time job provided everyone was paid the same hahaha

That would be fantastic.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:If you mentioned PINSIDE in the job interview, chances are you are not getting a call back

So are you saying it would be best to not mention pinside when applying here?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-intern

#44 5 years ago

I believe that an employee that works 40 hrs a week should be payed above the poverty level in that area.

#45 5 years ago

Why don't you go apply for a job at Stern and let us know. How the F would we know how much money people make that works there? They obviously are making enough or they would quit and go find another job. Jobs arent hard to come by right now as long as you can pass a drug test.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Why don't you go apply for a job at Stern and let us know. How the F would we know how much money people make that works there? They obviously are making enough or they would quit and go find another job. Jobs arent hard to come by right now as long as you can pass a drug test.

They're probably hard to come by if you only speak Spanish. Only job openings I saw at Stern were line supervisors that are bilingual.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

You are spot-on. I remember a few years ago taking my son to a "Automobile recycling center"on the quote and pointed out the several people working there whose job was to go out in the yard and pull the parts that customers needed as well as general labor jobs. I told him to look at them, those are people who can't pass a drug test.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Same should apply to who I support outside of work.

Understand.

Question- how many Stern machines do you own?

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Wow, you are out of touch with reality... sad

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

They're probably hard to come by if you only speak Spanish. Only job openings I saw at Stern were line supervisors that are bilingual.

Maybe learning to speak English would help get better paying jobs

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-manufacturers-pay-their-employees-a-living-wage?hl=mikedenton49 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.