(Topic ID: 221125)

Pinball manufacturers pay their employees a living wage?

By roffels

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Who-Dey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

untitled.png
    2e1bfm (resized).jpg
    YN6qUXj4HdXoY.gif
    D0839218-8B80-4A9A-BCFE-0C74227274E8 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Maybe learning to speak English would help get better paying jobs

Bilingual people around here get promoted regularly..... to cashier.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Maybe learning to speak English would help get better paying jobs

It likely would.

I'd like to note that there's no confirmation what Stern or JJP pays their employees so it's probably best not to speak as if they're doing something wrong.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Bilingual people around here get promoted regularly..... to cashier.

Or line supervisor at Stern!

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from cpr9999:

Understand.
    Question- how many Stern machines do you own?

None yet, that's why I'm asking.

#55 5 years ago

Blue faced arguing is exactly the face of capitalism. On day one of any business course in the country one would learn that, labor is a commodity to be obtained at the lowest possible price point. That's you and I. It doesn't matter your position, we are beholden to the stakeholders by law and for that reason we literally cannot afford to be decent to one another. Yeah... I'd say there are some inherent flaws in this rendition of society.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Does anyone know if companies such as Stern or Jersey Jack pay their employees at all levels a living wage, provide health insurance, sick time, and personal time off? Do assembly-line workers work reasonable hours? Is profit-sharing offered?

Do you own a business? Do provide all these benefits to "your" employees?

#57 5 years ago

If I was Stern or any other manufacturing company in the USA I would pay my employees what it takes to make a profit...end of story...we should all be thankful these games are made in the USA as thats getting pretty scarce these days.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Blue faced arguing is exactly the face of capitalism. On day one of any business course in the country one would learn that, labor is a commodity to be obtained at the lowest possible price point. That's you and I. It doesn't matter your position, we are beholden to the stakeholders by law and for that reason we literally cannot afford to be decent to one another. Yeah... I'd say there are some inherent flaws in this rendition of society.

15 years ago, our business program required us to take about three courses related to business ethics. They were overly flowery in nature, and did not focus on or even suggest what is ethical beyond what the law established. The closest they got to providing advice was to try to find the least harmful solution in a sticky situation. At the time I found them to be superfluous, but now wish they would have done more.

Regarding stakeholders, remember that customers, employees, the community, and business owners alike are stakeholders as what a business does impacts us all. Not to be confused with shareholders.

#59 5 years ago
    YN6qUXj4HdXoY.gifYN6qUXj4HdXoY.gif
    #60 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Do you own a business? Do provide all these benefits to "your" employees?

I own part of our business, but not in the way you think. We have a cooperative business model and are owned by our employees and customers. My coworkers and I have these benefits and my work directly impacts our profitability.

Here's a link to a wiki on cooperative business models in case you're unfamiliar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative

#61 5 years ago

So you work for a non profit.

Oh not non profit as you stated

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

So you work for a non profit.

No, we're for profit. Our money gets invested back into the business and community, and dividends are paid out to the owners.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

15 years ago, our business program required us to take about three courses related to business ethics. They were overly flowery in nature, and did not focus on or even suggest what is ethical beyond what the law established. The closest they got to providing advice was to try to find the least harmful solution in a sticky situation. At the time I found them to be superfluous, but now wish they would have done more.
    Regarding stakeholders, remember that customers, employees, the community, and business owners alike are stakeholders as what a business does impacts us all. Not to be confused with shareholders.

A stakeholder is defined as one with an interest in something, especially a business. So as not to be pedantic, yeah, you're correct, which accentuates the point to be made. That is to say, the very nature of our culture faces off each and everyone of us about every single thing.

Anyone who would argue the benefits of fiat credits simply doesn't understand the magnitude of class stratification. Here's a primer.

#64 5 years ago

You don't even own a single newer game. Why stir the pot.

#65 5 years ago

This guy is obviously trolling and trying to start shit so i think everybody should just ignore him and let the thread die a slow death. If he wants answers to his questions he can call Stern Human Resources and find out for himself.
    He doesn't even own a damn game.

#66 5 years ago

If we are talking about hispanics here, hence the need for bilingual, most are hard working family people that are grateful for their jobs and appreciate living in this country. It's called MADE IN THE USA.

The "living wage" they make where many of them come from is on a different level.

Hispanics aren't fleeing the US to go back to Mexico, its the other way around.

This is ridiculous thread, you better check what you buy every day and make sure it isn't from China or Mexico. Wtf.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

If we are talking about hispanics here, hence the need for bilingual, most are hard working family people that are grateful for their jobs and appreciate living in this country. It's called MADE IN THE USA.
    The "living wage" they make where many of them come from is on a different level.
    Hispanics aren't fleeing the US to go back to Mexico, its the other way around.
    This is ridiculous thread, you better check what you buy every day and make sure it isn't from China or Mexico. Wtf.

Yeah, I'm asking if they get paid well for their hard work. I can't imagine all that wiring is easy work.

#68 5 years ago

The people who actually assemble the games should realize this is a job for high schoolers. If you are 35 years old and doing this work, well you have not invested I. Yyourself to begin with. Find a second low wage job.

Now the engineers, software devs and the owners should be paid a hansom wage.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Yeah, I'm asking if they get paid well for their hard work. I can't imagine all that wiring is easy work.

Answer: yes they get paid well for their hard work. It's not Mexico or China.

And Stern Pinball isn't a Co-op, which btw i just got my $6 refund check from my local Cable co-op

The "crumbs" that they can make here in this country is a fortune that many hispanics send back to their families in Mexico.

#70 5 years ago

I received an answer in regards to Stern for employees in Cook County, Illinois. All employees should be paid a minimum of $13 per hour by July of 2020 - https://www.chuhak.com/?t=40&an=61239&format=xml&p=5120

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

People generally dont get paid high wages because of how hard a job is. People usually get paid high wages due to their knowledge and education level or the level of responsibility that their job requires. If people got paid according to how hard they work, McDonalds employees would be higher paid than most of us here.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

People generally dont get paid high wages because of how hard a job is. People usually get paid high wages due to their knowledge and education level or the level of responsibility that their job requires. If people got paid according to how hard they work, McDonalds employees would be higher paid than most of us here.

For sure. I've got a cushy office job and the joke with the promotion is my pay increased and my life got easier. Don't get me wrong, I like getting more money and wish I had even more, but the side-benefit of working good hours and doing less damage to my body would have been enough.

#73 5 years ago

Hispanics working in the USA sent $$ home to Mexico in record numbers in 2017. Over $30 Billion dollars. 2018 on pace to far exceed that.

It's these jobs that have gone a LONG ways towards lessening the poverty level in Mexico. There you go.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Hispanics working in the USA sent $$ home to Mexico in record numbers in 2017. Over $30 Billion dollars. 2018 on pace to far exceed that.
    It's these jobs that have gone a LONG ways towards lessening the poverty level in Mexico. There you go.

Yeah, the work ethic of a lot of first-gen immigrants astounds me. I have a hard enough time taking care of myself, and some of my coworkers from Ethiopia send a chunk of their earnings back to their relatives. Mad respect for these workers.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I received an answer in regards to Stern for employees in Cook County, Illinois. All employees should be paid a minimum of $13 per hour by July of 2020 - https://www.chuhak.com/?t=40&an=61239&format=xml&p=5120

So we can lock this thread then. Good

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

So we can lock this thread then.

2e1bfm (resized).jpg2e1bfm (resized).jpg
    #77 5 years ago

Who's the fat lady in this context? Am I the fat lady? JJP?

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Ok, how about do they make enough to work 40 hours a week, pay rent, eat healthy, and have their medical needs taken care of? We're talking about producers of $5000-$8000 fun machines, I dont really see how this should be controversial.

And the same exact kind of worker is building random boards for air conditioners, alarms, control panels, etc... They are doing factory work.. what the factory builds usually isn't that big of a factor. It's about scale that usually drives things.

Now the engineering departments, sales, etc... is that what you are asking about?

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

And the same exact kind of worker is building random boards for air conditioners, alarms, control panels, etc... They are doing factory work.. what the factory builds usually isn't that big of a factor. It's about scale that usually drives things.
    Now the engineering departments, sales, etc... is that what you are asking about?

I was asking what the base line is. I emailed Stern, if they answer and they're cool with it, I'll share their response.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I was asking what the base line is. I emailed Stern, if they answer and they're cool with it, I'll share their response.

I still cant figure out why you care so much? We have minimum wage laws in this country and im sure they are above that. They must pay food enough to keep people working there or they would all leave.

#81 5 years ago

Everyone is feeding Roeffels.

NO MORE POSTS and this thread is dead, please!

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I still cant figure out why you care so much? We have minimum laws in this country and im aure they are above that. They must pay food enough to keep people working there or they would all leave.

A lot of immigrants and low-skill workers are paid minimum wage, which isn't enough to survive on in this country working 40 hours a week. I want to support businesses that support their employees. And a side benefit to a business taking care of their employees is that they're less likely to need government assistance.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from cpr9999:

Everyone is feeding Roeffels.
    NO MORE POSTS and this thread is dead, please!

I'm not forcing you to read this thread. Just drain it.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

A lot of immigrants and low-skill workers are paid minimum wage, which isn't enough to survive on in this country working 40 hours a week. I want to support businesses that support their employees. And a side benefit to a business taking care of their employees is that they're less likely to need government assistance.

All business cannot afford to pay their employees enough to afford a nice car and a nice home and health insurance etc. Im sure you aupport plenty of American businesses that dont pay their employees enough to live a life of luxery.

#85 5 years ago

Zzzzzzzzzz

Get back to playing pinball.

#86 5 years ago

Curious, why have you not donated to Pinside in 3 yrs?

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

All business cannot afford to pay their employees enough to afford a nice car and a nice home and health insurance etc. Im sure you aupport plenty of American businesses that dont pay their employees enough to live a life of luxery.

Agreed, of course I buy things from businesses don't pay their employees a life of luxury.

I did not suggest they need to own a car or house. Only that they are compensated enough to have access to housing - IE whatever rent may be in that area, and ideally have insurance and benefits. Hell, I don't own a house or car, and I'm not complaining about that. Those are luxuries, and if you have them, take comfort in them and enjoy them.

#88 5 years ago
    untitled.pnguntitled.png
    #89 5 years ago
    Quoted from danisme:

Cuz his biz doesn’t pay him a living wage.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from danisme:

Probably the same reason you haven't donated in 4. I last donated when I made a transaction through here. I haven't purchased a game in a long time.

#91 5 years ago

Those that are defensive, you do realize that a living wage for a person per year is less than the cost of 4 Stern LE pinball games, right?

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Those that are defensive, you do realize that a living wage for a person per year is less than the cost of 4 Stern LE pinball games, right?

I only buy pros, sorry.

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-manufacturers-pay-their-employees-a-living-wage/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.