8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by btw75
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I love pinball.
    I love Pinside.
    I love all my fellow pinball fans out there.
    And I especially love all you guys and ladies out there building new games at Stern, JJP, Heighway, Spooky, Quetzal, Dutch, Riot, and all the other manufacturers I've unintentionally forgotten to mention.

But I am growing exhausted trying to keep up with all the chaotic new game speculation, VE spitballing and cryptic "I'm in the know" comments.

So here is my question-

Is there a modern/inventive way for us (the pinball diehards) to help manufacturers build more transparent marketing/communications so they can be more open about what they are creating, allowing us to be more "in the know" while at the same time helping them increase new customer sales?

#2 8 years ago

It seems to be a damned if you do and damned if you don't. Stern gets bashed for not revealing anything until right before they are ready to launch. JJP gets slammed on every detail they reveal.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ranhorton:

I love pinball.
    I love Pinside.
    I love all my fellow pinball fans out there.
    And I especially love all you guys and ladies out there building new games at Stern, JJP, Heighway, Spooky, Quetzal, Dutch, Riot, and all the other manufacturers I've unintentionally forgotten to mention.
    But I am growing exhausted trying to keep up with all the chaotic new game speculation, VE spitballing and cryptic "I'm in the know" comments.
    So here is my question-
    Is there a modern/inventive way for us (the pinball diehards) to help manufacturers build more transparent marketing/communications so they can be more open about what they are creating, allowing us to be more "in the know" while at the same time helping them increase new customer sales?

"while at the same time helping them increase new customer sales?"

No. They don't want us to know their issues and deception. They don't want you to know their lack of progress. They don't want us to know when they are struggling. They've watched too many movies that this is the way business is done. Leverage their credit. Use pre-pay dollars. Find a way. Sadly, this is how a lot of shifty businesses start. A few are successful. The majority are not. People never seem to realize how much risk they are taking until it's too late.

#4 8 years ago

I simply ignore most of the speculation, since it's usually just wishful thinking.

Since it's not very likely that I'll ever get a NIB pin (because $$$$), I'm not exactly sitting at the edge of my seat waiting for anything to be released.

#5 8 years ago

Here is a brand that is leveraging transparency to build customer loyalty and attract new consumers.
    Click on any of their products and scroll down to see just how transparent they are.

https://www.everlane.com

There has to be a way for pinball to be as open with its customers/fans as these guys are...at least I hope there is.

#6 8 years ago

Sure, we'll work on this atfter we convince car manufacturers to tell us what's coming in the next model year so we can decide whether we want to hold off or buy now. While we're at it will also get them to tell us when the largest rebates will be. .. it's a hobby for us, but a business for the manufacturers and distributers.

#7 8 years ago

The secrecy was really high when the "Big-3/Big-4" Pinball companies were around; Bally, Williams, Gottlieb and Chicago Coin/Stern Electronics. This was when Bally and Williams shared absolutely nothing except a close location to each other.

#8 8 years ago

I hear ya btw75.
    But don't the car manufacturers have auto shows a year in advance to tell us?
    Don't fashion companies have runway shows to show us?

Food for thought.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ranhorton:

I hear ya btw75.
    Food for thought.

Auto shows are intended to be advertising platforms within the auto industry.

Fashion shows are basically art shows for clothing. A lot of it never actually makes it directly into stores, but bits and pieces might end up influencing alterations and updates to existing clothing lines.

The thing about pinball companies showing their product line beyond the current release is that they risk people holding off and waiting for the next big thing, rather than buying something now in the current fiscal year. Potential future sales mean nothing. They want the cash in the bank, so by focusing all your attention on one product at a time, they make things an easy yes/no decision, rather than leaving people hemming and hawing between two (or more) different products.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ranhorton:

I hear ya btw75.
    Food for thought.

That's to introduce the new products for sale - Until then, they are cloaked in secrecy. I've been around the biz all my life and even the dealers (distributors) don't get to know.

If it was my business, there is no way I'd be open and transparent about my design pipeline. a) I want you to buy what I have on the line right now, it's my favorite machine. b) chatter about my future product is a distraction to my team.

I understand you might run it differently if it were your's, though.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-manufacturer-transparency and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.