(Topic ID: 126994)

Pinball Mania Documentary : THANK YOU GUYS!!!

By wylcot

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jgeiger
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GR12.JPG
    GR 11.JPG
    GR 13.JPG
    GR 4 (2).JPG
    image-11.jpg
    map-of-Texas-in-USA-2.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Hey you guys!

So I've recently presented a project to a local TV channel, here in France, about the passion for pinballs, and they were quite willing to help me with it.

Basically, I'd like to explore this passion all along a road trip through the US, like a pilgrimage to the various places where it all started (or evolved), but also meeting pinball fans on the way.

I thought it could fun for the European fans to have a vision of this mania on the continent where these machines were originally created.
    But I'd probably edit it in various languages (at least, the ones I speak...)

So here's where I need your help :

1* What places should I use as "sacred places" / essentials / goals in my story ?
    In short, what are the most important places to be visited when a pinball addict?

2* Who should I visit on my way?
    Ideally, I'd need to meet fans of most of the various generations of pinballs, ones that would be willing to explain their hobby, its origins, the way they live it (collection, restoration, competition,...), and who could show me their 'sacred' game room...
    I'd love to meet people restoring machines, looking for old/wrecked ones, designing new ones, etc...

3* Are there important characters I should meet, such as game designers, programmers or CEOs...?

4* I'd also need to attend conventions or meetings on the way...

This would probably take place in July of this year.
    I'm open to all suggestions! Thanks in advance for your ideas!

#2 8 years ago
    Quoted from wylcot:

2* Who should I visit on my way?

You got to meet Sam Harvey in Pomona CA, as he has a vast collection, of not only pinball machines filling his house but also flyers/brochures and other pinball related paperwork (i.e. schematics and manuals) and binders and binders full of other stuff. He is a pinball encyclopedia.

He is old school, so you can only reach him by phone or post mail,
    he does not have internet access.

#3 8 years ago

You need to come to pinball expo in Chicago in october Thats where pinball all started . its the biggest and most complete pinball show on earth .Has the most to do..SAM harvey as well will be there Not sure about going to see SAM as you really cant see much ..Most of his machines are somewhere else He is very interesting and you could interview him at expo

#4 8 years ago

donovan stepp operates a route in the denver area, and is one of the most well known tournament players. super chill dude, who was already in the doc special when lit. definately the guy to talk to if youre in that area. i think his handle on here is DNO but could be mistaken.

tim arnold who owns and maintains the pinball hall of fame.

bowen kerins, lyman sheats, rick stetta, all world class players who would probably love to talk.

and of course the sharpe family: zach and josh and roger. perhaps the three most important people to the world of modern pinball for a list of reasons so long i dont even know where to begin.

#5 8 years ago

Once again most all of these people will be at PINBALL EXPO as well as many many other pinball industry people AND tour of new Stern plant AND many many uniqiue machines Make your reservations now..

#6 8 years ago

Visit Gerry S. in Austin, Texas.
    Creating a whole new pin gaming platform & his boards are used in tons of new pins & pin mods.

http://www.multimorphic.com/

then, you can come check out my home arcade

#7 8 years ago

I would go to Pintastic New England which is New England first Pinball convention I think: http://www.pintasticnewengland.com/ While you are there I would certainly go to Pelham, NH (about 1-1.5 hour drive) which has over 100 Pinball machines: http://www.pinballwizardarcade.com/ If you really have time you could always go further south to New York City. Not only is it NYC but they have quite a few arcades/famous people there like Steve Epstein: http://www.modernpinballnyc.com/ They got the Silverball Museum across a bridge in New Jersey as well: http://silverballmuseum.com/

I would certainly go for the east coast of the USA though as it's cheaper, better for you mentally/physically, and you have more time to enjoy stuff rather than flying or driving. The Pinball Hall of Fame will probably be mentioned here but it's on the west coast in Vegas. It's a great place but it's also very hot in July. Also Jersey Jack Pinball is located in New Jersey.

#8 8 years ago

Several of the museums are great BUT you will never beat the expierence at PINBALL EXPO in Chicago

#9 8 years ago

If you go to Denver, 7 hours south you can come to the MEZELmod shop in Albquerque. We have 11 machines and have a first hand look at our manufacturing facility.

#11 8 years ago

Do a segment on Neil Nicastro and how he hated the Pinball division so much at Williams, that not only did he close it down, but he refused to sell it to any other company.

It was important to him that it was dead.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Most of his machines are somewhere else He is very interesting and you could interview him at expo

True most of Sam's games are in storage and at the PPS pinball ranch in Hollister,
    but his house is still stuffed to the gills with pinball and other stuff.
    He may only have about 10 pins set up to play, but has about 50 other cabinets and heads and parts
    stacked to the ceiling in 3 other rooms.
    Expo is a great show, but it is in October and not July like the OP stated as the likely visit to USA time.

CA Extreme in San Jose Ca is on July18&19th I think.

USA Pinburgh
    July 30th - August 2nd 2015
    David L. Lawrence Convention Center, 1000 Fort Duquesne Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15222, USA.
    Now part of the ReplayFX show featuring over $100,000 in total prizes and more than 700 pinball and arcade machines.
    WPPR points available
    PAPA Circuit event

USA Pintastic New England
    July 10th & 11th 2015
    Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, 366 Main Street, Sturbridge, MA 01566, USA.
    Open Friday noon-9pm, Saturday 9am-8pm.
    WPPR points available

USA Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo
    June 19th - 21st 2015
    Atlanta Marriott Century Center, 2000 Century Blvd NE, Atlanta, GA 30345, USA. More than 200 arcade, pinball & console games. Open Fri: 4pm-12am, Sat: 10am-12am, Sun 10am-4pm.
    WPPR points available
    PAPA Circuit event

USA Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown
    June 12th - 14th 2015
    Denver Marriott South at Park Meadows, 10345 Park Meadows Dr., Lone Tree, CO 80124, USA.
    WPPR points available

USA NW Pinball & Arcade Show
    June 5th - 7th 2015
    Tacoma Convention Center, 1500 Broadway, Tacoma, WA 98402, USA

#13 8 years ago

sorry I missed the july thing Yes replay fx will be great as well as ASbury park museum which is close to He could always come to my house rob berks house and Ricahard Lawhurst house between us like over 200 machines set up AND i have over 15,000 sq feet of pinball parts flyers schematics and manuals MORE paper than anyone on earth BUT yes SAMMY does have alot I also have thousands of translites and hundred or more back glasses

#14 8 years ago

Alright!
    Thanks for these info, guys!
    I had the feeling that Chicago could be the goal of that trip / the finale of the subject, as most of the original companies were based there. And I'll probably not do a coast to coast trip for my first time in the U.S.
    So i'm considering to explore the Eastern coast and then to head to Chicago...

But maybe I wasn't really clear on one point : I'd like to meet "important" people in the pinball history (if any), but also collectors and fans like you and me! Even more importantly, I'd say!

It's all about the passion for these machines! So if you'd like to meet me, show me your games and tell me about their importance... I'd definitely not abuse your hospitality!

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from wylcot:

Alright!
    Thanks for these info, guys!
    I had the feeling that Chicago could be the goal of that trip / the finale of the subject, as most of the original companies were based there. And I'll probably not do a coast to coast trip for my first time in the U.S.
    So i'm considering to explore the Eastern coast and then to head to Chicago...
    But maybe I wasn't really clear on one point : I'd like to meet "important" people in the pinball history (if any), but also collectors and fans like you and me! Even more importantly, I'd say!
    It's all about the passion for these machines! So if you'd like to meet me, show me your games and tell me about their importance... I'd definitely not abuse your hospitality!

Austin, Tx. - largest pinball arcade in Texas, tons of collectors, original pinball games being built,...
    Houston, Tx. - awesome pinball & arcade event, arcades & tons of collectors
    Dallas, Tx - larget pinball event in USA & tons of collectors

"tons" of collectors, custom games being built, new pinball platforms being built & giant pin events
    (even bigger than chicago events),
    (texas sized).

here's a real pinball map of the USA. hope it helps

map-of-Texas-in-USA-2.jpgmap-of-Texas-in-USA-2.jpg

#16 8 years ago

Well... I'll consider Texas as part of the trip, then, but that'll add difficulties to the setting of my schedule...

2 weeks later
    #17 8 years ago

Okay,

So I'm supposed to land in NY
    then scoot directly to Pintastic New England

then around Philadelphia for a while

then Pittsburgh. (that's only the beginning)

So if some of you live in these areas and want to meet me and talk/answer a few questions about your passion, or show me your game room, that'd be absolutely awesome!

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I would go to Pintastic New England which is New England first Pinball convention I think: http://www.pintasticnewengland.com/ While you are there I would certainly go to Pelham, NH (about 1-1.5 hour drive) which has over 100 Pinball machines: http://www.pinballwizardarcade.com/

2nd this!

#19 8 years ago

Did you make it to the The Pittsburgh Open 6 this past weekend? I just got back to NYC a few hours ago and it was an incredible weekend. An astoundingly awesome bunch of people there who ran it for PAPA. Anyway, if you are coming to NY there is a Tue-Thurs league at http://www.modernpinballnyc.com/league/ in midtown Manhattan that I do and you just missed the end of this bar league that I also take part in. http://www.pinballnyc.com/

1 week later
    #20 8 years ago

Well, I dunno if i said it but I'll be landing in NY on the 6th of July.
    For now, my plans are :
    3 days in NY, where I'll probably buy myself a van.
    Pintastic New England
    New Jersey/Jersey Jack/Silverball Museum
    then Philadelphia for a few days, to meet a group of collectors/fans, TNT Amusements, ...
    Pittsburgh, to meet the people from Classic Game Room (and other things, that I need to find...)
    Then I'll head to Chicago, and try to find things to visit and/or people to meet on the way

Some people told me it was not the best idea to just camp in that van anywhere, so I'll check for state parks, and maybe contact some of you guys, in case you'd have a bit of land where I could park and sleep... Wouldn't want to finish in jail...

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from wylcot:

Some people told me it was not the best idea to just camp in that van anywhere, so I'll check for state parks, and maybe contact some of you guys, in case you'd have a bit of land where I could park and sleep... Wouldn't want to finish in jail.

In this new day and age, unfortunately, being a vagabond, is frowned upon.
    Not impossible, but you are likely to get hassled a bit more, if you do not have
    a proper place to sleep or park.

image-11.jpgimage-11.jpg
    #22 8 years ago

This might be kind of a hokey suggestion but nearly every WalMart in the US allows free RV/van camping overnight. I have spent a lot of time vanning, and it's true that in many areas it is hard to find a legal or safe spot for whatever reason. They don't advertise it but WalMart has a nationwide ruling about it...it is always well lit and free and a safe oasis. Obviously not a beautiful camping setup lol but it costs ya zero and the cops leave you alone. Just kind of a fun tip from one vanner pinhead to another It has helped me a time or two and very few people know about this rule in my experience.

PS I despise WalMart for anything abd everything else but that's another story

#24 8 years ago

Hey! That Williams Vagabond could be a fun illustration of me, in the movie. I hope I'll stumble upon it along the way!

Well, thanks Curtis for that tip! That's a very good one, although that article calmed my enthusiasm straight away...
    You know, I'm a European guy, and that's my very first time in America! Let's say it straight, I've never seen a gun, and I've always wondered what it felt like to consider the fact that they were all around...
    I might freak out a bit when I'm on that parking lot... Thanks PinwizTom

#25 8 years ago

While a lot of America is "packin";
    it is still relatively safe here,
    but just keep your eyes open and be aware.
    If you smile, most people will smile back.
    If you make it to the NorthWest (Oregon) drop me a line.
    cheers tom

#27 8 years ago

If you go to Chicago, you should also go see the Pinball Ninja at the Ann Arbor Pinball Museum. It's about a 4-5 hour drive from Chicago.
    http://vfwpinball.com/

#28 8 years ago

Chicago is pretty close to Minneapolis/St Paul, Minnesota. We have a strong pinball community here with many places to play. I have been in the hobby for 2 years and have 16 games down my basement and it's set up like a black light arcade from old. So if you make it this far west I could show you my place. Here's a few of pictures. I've added much since these pictures were taken, it's never really finished.

GR 4 (2).JPGGR 4 (2).JPG GR 13.JPGGR 13.JPG GR 11.JPGGR 11.JPG GR12.JPGGR12.JPG
    #29 8 years ago

If you drive through Toledo,feel free to stop by and play a few games and maybe fire a few rounds. Don't have a huge collection, but I have fun, and I can shoot in my cousins back yard a mile from my house!

#30 8 years ago

I am about 1-1/2 hours from Pintastic,you would be welcome if you would like to stop in. If you are going from NY to the show i would be on your way.

#31 8 years ago

Thanks for your offers, guys!

I'm discovering the difficulties of registering and insuring a car when being a non-US citizen...
    This is starting to be a sad Sunday afternoon...

I would consider renting a car if it was not that expensive!
    Anyone would be willing to rent me a car he doesn't use for a month? Apparently that's easier for insurance contracts, and i would offer my purchase budget...
    Just trying... You never know...

Or any type of advice on these matters...

#32 8 years ago

Non-residents do it all the time in southern California. To save, do what 18% of US citizens do: buy insurance for a week (Detroit area has shops set up offering "3-Day policies") Register the vehicle then drive with no insurance. Just drive carefully, be aware of where you park and in the event it gets damaged or stolen, walk away from it. Thus, buy a cheap older vehicle. Listed in sales ads and sites as "budget wheels"

#33 8 years ago

Waw! Huh...
    Would you have a link to a company that would provide this type of one-week insurance??

#34 8 years ago

Her's one that advertises at 3 AM around here. www.thegeneral.com

Most of the "3 day policy" places are store fronts in seedy areas that don't do internet. You give them some cash, they give you a valid proof of insurance form allowing you to register and license plate your vehicle.

#35 8 years ago

Well, thanks for the advice.
    I'll contact the "general" tomorrow.
    And well... If they agree to ensure me for a week, maybe they will for the whole month...

1 week later
    #36 8 years ago

Alright, things are getting pretty close and settled.

I still need to find a few local parties or small tournaments.
    And also female collectors, as I mainly have meetings with men.
    And still open to suggestions if you're on my way!

So here's my (current) schedule

JULY

6-7-8 New York
    9-10-11 Sturbridge, MA
    12-13-14 New York
    15-16-17-18 Philadeplhia, PA
    19-20 Pittsburgh, PA
    21 Columbus, OH
    22 Indianapolis, IN
    23-24-25 Chicago, IL
    26 Milwaukee, WI
    27 Detroit/Cleveland
    28-29-30-31-1-2 Pittsburgh, PA

Please feel free to contact me and tell me about what happens around these places, or on the way!

1 month later
    #37 8 years ago

So that's it!
    I'm waiting for my flight back to France.
    It's been an amazing trip through your country, and this is thanks to everyone's help : those i met, those who helped...

I'd like sincerely thank everyone of you, guys!
    I haven't had the time to meet all of you, and neither to do everything i was supposed to, to go to all the places i wanted to, but i guess it's like that.

You guys are awesome! I had a blast meeting friendly and welcoming people who were glad to share about this passion we have in common.

My friends and I have a lot of work ahead for this project to eventually look like something great, but we'll do our best to have it interesting and fun.

I'll keep you updated!

'til then, i wish you all the best!

Take good care of you, guys!

You rule!

Love you!!!

#38 8 years ago

Safe travels back home. Thanks for stopping by Columbus. It was great meeting you.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-mania-documentary-helpparticipation-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.