(Topic ID: 95171)

Pinball makes me want to watch movies. Anyone else?

By Grinder901

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

So as I was playing Congo for the first time this weekend at the expo in Atlanta I started thinking, "it's been forever since I've seen this movie. I should see it soon". I had the same thoughts about The Shadow and even Waterworld. I didn't get to play a JM but that's another movie that has a pin associated with it that I would like to see soon.

Has anyone been inspired or interested in watching a movie after playing a pin? Which ones?

#2 9 years ago

Playing avengers make me want to watch any of the Marvel movies (IM 1,2 or 3, Thor 1 or 2, hulk, etc)

Interestingly, playing T2 doesn't make me want to watch that movie, and it's one of my favorites.

Played Waterworld over the weekend at SFGE and nothing would make me want to watch THAT movie again!

#3 9 years ago

Haha! DM makes me want to watch a little Snipes/Stallone action soon too

#4 9 years ago

And yea I love the second Terminator movie. It's my favorite in that series and T2 did not impress me or like you said, make me want to go watch the movie. I might need more time with the pin though.

#5 9 years ago

PIcked up a LOTR last week. Ordered trilogy DVD set this weekend.

#6 9 years ago

Pins actually make me want to reread books...LOTR is one example. The problem with Congo is that after you watch the movie, you'll want to sell your pin.

#7 9 years ago

Haha! All I remember is the sign language gorilla. What was her name? Koko?

#8 9 years ago

They really made some bad movies based on those awesome pinball machines, didn't they?

#9 9 years ago

BSD makes watching the movie more enjoyable. No shit.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

Haha! All I remember is the sign language gorilla. What was her name? Koko?

Amy - That is a rough movie. I was glad that the pin was much more fun than I expected after finally getting to play one.

#11 9 years ago

Yea I had like half a billion on Congo and thought I was the shiznit because I'm used to 10 million on my IM.

I actually like bad movies. The cheesier, the better.

#12 9 years ago

I watched both the Addams Family movies after getting a TAF. It's great when you hear all those callouts from the game at various points in the movie. "Go ahead - I have a whole bucketful!"
    Paul - Editor, pavlovpinball.com

#13 9 years ago

As soon as I bought and started playing my IM, I wanted to watch the movies again

#14 9 years ago

I watched The Shadow after playing the pin. Wow, what a terrible movie.

Tron made me want to watch the new movie again. Originally I didn't care for the film that much, but after playing the pin a lot, I really dig the movie now.

#15 9 years ago

I re-watched LAH when I got the pin, and had never seen Frankenstein before getting the pin and had to go back and watch it. I do like it when I recognize a callout, especially when something clicks as to why it is in the game or on the playfield since I didn't know the story before. I did make my parents rewatch Addams Family after getting their pin and asking me "Why is the woman calling me a dumbass?" (Apparently they didn't realize she was saying 'Gomez.')

#16 9 years ago

Pretty sure I watched Tron and The Shadow because of the pins.

#17 9 years ago

I've only watched half of the original Tron and for some reason have not watched the new one. I plan on rectifying that soon.

Oh yea, played LW3 at a friends pin and then recorded LW one and two on my HBO channel. Okokokokokok

#18 9 years ago

I like to watch old Rollergames videos after playing my Rollergames... does that count?

#19 9 years ago

For sure, I've watched JM, BSD, and Addams Family (both movies) because of the pins. Being a fan of the original Addams Family TV shows, I found the movies to be pretty lacking. JM wasn't all that great, but it wasn't unwatchable, either.

I agree on the sentiment on T2 as well. One of my favorite movies, but the pin really doesn't do much for me. I think it's because the music in it was still from the System 11 era, and not up to the later WPC games like STTNG or IJ. A music revamp alone could make T2 so much better.

#20 9 years ago

I've never played an IJ but man I loves those movies!! I bet the pins are fun as hell too

#21 9 years ago

I was playing a playboy machine and it made me want to watch....oh wait....nevermind

#22 9 years ago

Most of the pins I own and want are movie themes,
    and I'm a huge movie fan too but yes after buying a movie theme pin it makes me want to re-watch the movie,

and same a poster above I picked up a LOTR last week and straight away went out and bought the extended version boxset lol

#23 9 years ago

Not really the same but sometimes after playing my Mustang pin I want to take my 2013 Mustang GT for a spin. Maybe do some Cruisin' or get in a real Police Pursuit.

#24 9 years ago

Love the LOTR movies and hope to get the pin soon.
    Always liked the TZ shows especially the intro from which most of the graphics were developed.
    Been trying to buy a cheap copy of the shadow so I can get more insight into that great pin. Think the pin is better than the movie but still want the insight.

3 weeks later
    #25 9 years ago

Tried to watch Demolition Man, but I just can't get through it. It's horrible.

#26 9 years ago

I watched the second Elvira movie Haunted Hills(nowhere near as good as the first) after buying my Scared Stiff.

#27 9 years ago

I have been making it a point to watch the original source materials because, for me, understanding the references makes the pins much more enjoyable.

And I've had the opposite situation--watching the Spiderman trilogy made me want to find a Spiderman machine to play!

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from mulder2010:

Tried to watch Demolition Man, but I just can't get through it. It's horrible.

Ah man, I LOVE that movie. The cheesier the better.

Watched Congo last night. I enjoyed it. But then again, I am easy to please.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

Ah man, I LOVE that movie. The cheesier the better.

You're right, it's corny, but I like it too.

#30 9 years ago

Sort of different but I'd never read any Judge Dredd comics before I got the pin. Since then I'm about half way through the case files. It really helps me appreciate the art and callouts.

#31 9 years ago

I'm just the opposite. "This movie sucks! I would rather be playing pinball!"

1 week later
    #32 9 years ago

Just started playing GoldenEye recently, and now I need to see the movie.

#33 9 years ago

Same here, but I'm sure it's a marketing conspiracy

#34 9 years ago

Watched Maverick yesterday. Man what a great movie. Wish I could play the pin.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

I actually like bad movies.

You're in for a real treat with Johnny Mnemonic.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from ReallifePin:

I'd never read any Judge Dredd comics before I got the pin.

There were no Judge Dredd movies when I first played one. It was my favorite machine by the time the movie came out, so of course I went to see it. Haven't seen the latest installment yet though. The Stallone movie was entertaining, but more of a comedy than anything else.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

You're in for a real treat with Johnny Mnemonic.

I can't wait!!

Quoted from o-din:

There were no Judge Dredd movies when I first played one. It was my favorite machine by the time the movie came out, so of course I went to see it. Haven't seen the latest installment yet though. The Stallone movie was entertaining, but more of a comedy than anything else.

The last Dredd was amazing!!! Put Stallones to shame!!! Highly recommend it.

#38 9 years ago

I like to watch Tron and BSD after playing the pins. I like listening for the call outs.

#39 9 years ago

Every time I dump dead mice carcasses from my electronic mouse trap I feel like I'm playing mousin around! Whee great fun!

#40 9 years ago

Mousin' Around is cool. It may be too late to make a Willard pin though.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-makes-me-want-to-watch-movies-anyone-else and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.