12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by TJ141
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Any Pinsiders have any interesting stories (and pictures) to mention of injuries or accidents that occured while working on a pinball machine or lifting/moving one, or transporting one.
    This thread intended to be informative and possibly entertaining. I thought of this once before, but was reminded of it when I read B_R's post w/ a picture on another thread about a machine that fell off his trailer while driving, in part due to tie-down strap came loose, and the pin got destroyed.
    For me, I guess I've been somewhat fortunate so far, and my only injuries have been from pulling a muscle in my back on a few different occasions when picking up a heavy backbox of an old e-m 4-player Gottlieb pinball machine. Man, those things are heavy.
    I can imagine how someone could be poking around inside a cabinet w/ the power on and shock themselves, and then bang their head on the lifted playfield. Or have a mis-hap while moving a machine up/down the stairs. I talked w/ a non-pinball-guy once in Houston who tried to transport a machine ('78 Playboy) w/ legs and head still on, loaded in back of pick-up and not strapped down very well, and that it tipped over and busted the head off the main cabinet, pulled wires, etc.
    Unfortunately, not every day is glorious in the world of pinball, but the good days definitely outweigh the bad days.

#2 12 years ago

Me and my brother were playing Roller coaster Tycoon at a local laundromat last year. Game worked great, in excellent shape too. The only problem was that the switch for the scoop was not recognizing the ball, and you had to wait for ball search to kick it out. the laundromat manager happened to be there, said "that's been doing that, the guy's coming to check it out".

Lo and behold!!, not a few minutes later the tech shows up and opens the game up, "attempts" to prop the playfield... and promptly drops it practically sideways in the cab, smashing the perfectly good ramp. My heart literally jumped in my chest as my brother and I look at each other dumbfounded.

Sad, sad story. I loved that game too, one day I'll have my own.

#3 12 years ago

Well my friend Al (Pinaholic) is an op here in NYC.He's a big part of the pinball community in town and one of the reasons for the reemergence of pinball on route locally.He was buying a machine from Kevin at Classic Pinball in Jersey,deal was done, machine loaded,money recieved.Saying goodbye Al quickly slams shut the mini vans sliding side door......But leaves his finger there... WHAM.... chops his finger off at the first knuckle!!!!!Kevin scoops up the "tip" packs it in ice and drives Al to the hospital where they reattatch Al digit.He makes full recovery and is back doing his thing and we're all grateful for it.Be careful when loading/unloading games.Scott

#4 12 years ago

In the past few days, I've been rethinking my ways concerning how I sometimes transport the backbox of a pinball machine. If it's not raining I put the main cabinet in the back of the truck, and just put the head in the back seat and lean it back. I just figure I'll drive slow and all ok.
    However, since I can't anticipate what some other jerk/idiot might do out on the roads. I think I better start securing the head better ...just in case. If I have to slam the brakes and the backglass gets busted, I will not be in a good mood after that. On long trips I have put the main cabinet inside back seat area (tight fit though).

#5 12 years ago

When I picked up my F-14, It was sitting horizontally with no legs on a rolling dolly. The back box was up so i could inspect the playfield. The seller suggested i roll it to the outlet to see if it turned on. We hit a bump and the backglass popped out and shattered all over the machine. It took forever to clean it all up. The glass is plexi now.

Moral. ALWAYS put the backglass down when you are moving a pin.

#6 12 years ago

Had the PF propped up on a Supersonic working on something, can't recall now what but I accidentally bumped the rod and the PF dropped onto my head. Thankfully the pin was OK and all I had was a small cut in the top of my head. Another dumb move for me was I had a PF on the rotisserie in the middle of a swap and somehow managed to bump into it and it fell onto the cement floor. Another close call but no damages. Wow, was that a sick feeling seeing the new PF with all the coils and a ton of other stuff already on it hitting the floor. Made a helluva racket, but no damages and everything worked like a champ when I completed the swap.

#7 12 years ago

Yes B_R's post about losing that High Speed was Epic, the pics made it that much better!! Such a painful thing to see but what a sight to see a pin destroyed like that!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-maint-transport-related-battle-scarsinjuriesaccidentswar-stories and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.