(Topic ID: 176310)

Pinball Magic trunk door solenoid keeps firing (Solved)

By DMC

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

After my game has been on for 10-15 minutes, the solenoid for the trunk door starts continuously firing about a second apart. Any ideas what this could be? A ball is sometimes kicked out into the shooter lane as if a ball lock was registered. Maybe an opto issue, but you guys might be able to explain why it happens after 10 mins - like once something warms up it goes wrong. Thanks in advance for any help. Pinball Magic.

#2 7 years ago

Yes, one of the three trunk optos is crapping out. Loosen that single screw that holds the trunk mold and just lift it off.

Check the brackets on either side that hold the LEDs and Transceivers for looseness. Everything tight?

While it is in the fits of trunk door mania, open the door, press left flipper button till you get to DIAGS, press START, with C1 Standard Tests selected press START, with 01 Switch Test selected, press START.

It will display the switch matrix. Press the right flipper button to step to switch #25, Lock Bottom. The other trunk optos are 26-Middle and 27-Top. With no balls in the game, all the optos should be CLOSED, with an "I" in the matrix. If one or more of the three trunk optos looks like = instead of I, that pair needs to be investigated.

#3 7 years ago

cody_chunn

Thanks kindly for the detailed explanation. I will do that tomorrow and report back.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Yes, one of the three trunk optos is crapping out. Loosen that single screw that holds the trunk mold and just lift it off.
Check the brackets on either side that hold the LEDs and Transceivers for looseness. Everything tight?
While it is in the fits of trunk door mania, open the door, press left flipper button till you get to DIAGS, press START, with C1 Standard Tests selected press START, with 01 Switch Test selected, press START.
It will display the switch matrix. Press the right flipper button to step to switch #25, Lock Bottom. The other trunk optos are 26-Middle and 27-Top. With no balls in the game, all the optos should be CLOSED, with an "I" in the matrix. If one or more of the three trunk optos looks like = instead of I, that pair needs to be investigated.

When it's not in trunk door mania the opto switches tested okay. When it was the switch test went crazy and I couldn't even move between the optos with the flippers because one of them was flickering on an of so fast. I'll keep digging around that area.

#5 7 years ago

Check the connections on the switch board...I believe it is mounted to the back of the 'neck', basically lined up behind the DMD...there's a short little ribbon cable that can come loose.

It sounds like you have a bigger problem than just the trunk...

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Check the connections on the switch board...I believe it is mounted to the back of the 'neck', basically lined up behind the DMD...there's a short little ribbon cable that can come loose.

Okay thanks - on holiday but will check when I get back.

1 week later
#7 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

We'll I think this fixed it. I re seated in the connectors and all has been well so far. Thanks!

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

We'll I think this fixed it. I re seated in the connectors and all has been well so far. Thanks!

Great! I hope it stays fixed.

Swallow the Sword!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

8,100 (OBO)
$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-trunk-door-solenoid-keeps-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.