• Latest reply 4 years ago by wdennie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190401_184424 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

To all of you Capcom experts: what is the best method to do a topside teardown to clean and shop? Do you lift it vertical and work in that position?

#2 4 years ago

I would disconnect all connectors from the bottom, lay it back down or pieces will fall everywhere!
check to make sure your optos are all good before you put it back together!

#3 4 years ago

lots of pics during the process. just did this game, reflow solder on all the optos while you have it apart.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

I would disconnect all connectors from the bottom, lay it back down or pieces will fall everywhere!

You can't access the back portion of the playfield when it's in the down position. The cabinet restricts access to see what you're doing as well as removing the layers of components.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Moto_bone:

You can't access the back portion of the playfield when it's in the down position. The cabinet restricts access to see what you're doing as well as removing the layers of components.

You can pull the back of the playfield up and onto the top edge of the back of the cabinet, I think the PF even has some little wheels or something back there to assist with that. It's been quite a while since I've done it so I don't remember the process exactly.

#6 4 years ago

Funny, I'm about to do a topside tear down as well on this game. Any other good advice? I've got to change rubber, some plastics, bulbs, and adjust that pesky feed from the right orbit

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Funny, I'm about to do a topside tear down as well on this game. Any other good advice? I've got to change rubber, some plastics, bulbs, and adjust that pesky feed from the right orbit

exactly what do you mean by that pesky feed on the right orbit?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

exactly what do you mean by that pesky feed on the right orbit?

My outer lane guide is angled to send it straight down the middle. Does anyone know where the feed should go or where yours goes? I'm thinking right flipper

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

My outer lane guide is angled to send it straight down the middle. Does anyone know where the feed should go or where yours goes? I'm thinking right flipper

Mine goes to the right flipper very consistently.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

You can pull the back of the playfield up and onto the top edge of the back of the cabinet, I think the PF even has some little wheels or something back there to assist with that. It's been quite a while since I've done it so I don't remember the process exactly.

I will try that this evening and report back!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Agreex, make sure the game is 100% working prior.

#12 4 years ago

The beauty of Capcom you can pull the playfield out about two feet past the coin door.
Just make sure you support the playfield so you damage the mechs under it

#13 4 years ago

Works like a charm. I cleaned the back ramp and orbit shot tonight. Squeaky clean now! Thanks pinside!!

IMG_20190401_184424 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_184424 (resized).jpg
#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Moto_bone:

Works like a charm. I cleaned the back ramp and orbit shot tonight. Squeaky clean now! Thanks pinside!!
[quoted image]

Yeah, that looks familiar now!

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

A weak shot to bend the spoon is a design draino. You gotta zing that shot.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

A weak shot to bend the spoon is a design draino. You gotta zing that shot.

Yea, mine goes straight down the middle too.
I found that on the PF there is a slight ripple right
where it exits the center spoon shot, I can feel it when
running my had across it, and diverts the ball.
I put a PF protector on trying to eliminate the ripple,
but it still goes SDTM.
My question is "is this ripple I feel intended to be there?"

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

I found that on the PF there is a slight ripple right
where it exits the center spoon shot, I can feel it when
running my had across it, and diverts the ball.
I put a PF protector on trying to eliminate the ripple,
but it still goes SDTM.
My question is "is this ripple I feel intended to be there?"

I'll check mine in a few hours.

#18 4 years ago

wdennie no ripple in my playfield. Do you have mylar?

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

Mine did this when I got it. It took a while to figure out what was causing it, but finally got it. The outer wall metal guide on the right orbit was a bit warped. There was a wave in it which sent the ball toward the center drain. The wave was in the middle of the right metal orbit wall. Here is the kicker: to make the ball deflect less left, you have to bend the metal orbit guide exit MORE to the left. Because of the way it is attached to the playfield by bending the end of the guide to the left, it pulls the middle of the guide to the right and trues up the path. Insert a slotted screwdriver between the end of the metal guide and the metal post (near the hat, has a rubber post sleeve) and pry the metal guide exit to the left. You'll see the center wall of the guide flex to the right. I know it's hard to explain but give it a try.

Ymmv

Craig

#20 4 years ago

thanks caker,
moto_bone yes mine has the mylar on it.
you can't actual see the slight ripple but can feel it.
I thought putting a PF protector on it would smooth out the
effect the ripple was causing, but even with that, it still would change the path.
I did notice that it depended on the speed of the ball how much this would cause the
ball to divert.
I kinda assume with a title pinball magic, the ripple was intended to cause this magical visual
effect.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!
Playfields
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-topside-teardown?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.