(Topic ID: 140793)

Pinball Magic shop out FINISHED! (sort of)

By SilverUnicorn

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by PinBertl
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ccpf6.jpg
ccpf4.jpg
ccpf2.jpg
ccpf3.jpg
ccpf1.jpg
DSCF9740.jpg
DSCF9737.jpg
DSCF9736.jpg
DSCF9735.jpg
DSCF9734.jpg
DSCF9733.jpg
DSCF9730.jpg
DSCF9731.jpg
DSCF9732.jpg
DSCF9729.jpg
DSCF9728.jpg
There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

Not sure if anyone follows my shop out threads. I am not a high end restoration person. I am a normal guy that likes to make my games as nice as I can with what I have available. That take me lots of time, but usually come out well, so I like to document in case others are wanting to do their machines.

That said, I present to you.....Pinball Magic shop out. First in a multi part photo blog, LOL.

DSCF9536.jpgDSCF9536.jpg
DSCF9563.jpgDSCF9563.jpg
DSCF9564.jpgDSCF9564.jpg
DSCF9565.jpgDSCF9565.jpg
DSCF9566.jpgDSCF9566.jpg
DSCF9568.jpgDSCF9568.jpg
DSCF9567.jpgDSCF9567.jpg
DSCF9569.jpgDSCF9569.jpg

#2 8 years ago

DSCF9570.jpgDSCF9570.jpg

DSCF9571.jpgDSCF9571.jpg

DSCF9572.jpgDSCF9572.jpg

DSCF9573.jpgDSCF9573.jpg

DSCF9575.jpgDSCF9575.jpg

DSCF9576.jpgDSCF9576.jpg

DSCF9574.jpgDSCF9574.jpg

DSCF9577.jpgDSCF9577.jpg

#3 8 years ago

I'm watching.

I like to watch.

#4 8 years ago

More:

DSCF9578.jpgDSCF9578.jpg

DSCF9580.jpgDSCF9580.jpg

DSCF9579.jpgDSCF9579.jpg

DSCF9581.jpgDSCF9581.jpg

DSCF9582.jpgDSCF9582.jpg

#5 8 years ago

That's all for now. This will likely be harder than Airborne was from my findings so far. This thing is quite the puzzle. And I have only done the easy stuff do far

Chris

#6 8 years ago

Get a good close-up of the crowd in front of the pop bumper.

#7 8 years ago

Will do!

#8 8 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Consider me a follower.

#9 8 years ago

This is pretty interesting. I never had much interest in Pinball Magic but the art seems really neat. It so weird to think Capcom used to make pinball machines. I wonder what got them into it. They're a Japanese company and as far as I know, pinball isn't real big over there.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

This is pretty interesting. I never had much interest in Pinball Magic but the art seems really neat. It so weird to think Capcom used to make pinball machines. I wonder what got them into it. They're a Japanese company and as far as I know, pinball isn't real big over there.

Not sure how they got into the game so to speak, but their games are great! At least in my opinion

Chris

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Get a good close-up of the crowd in front of the pop bumper.

Per request I also like the art on the top of the stage assembly

DSCF9590.jpgDSCF9590.jpg

DSCF9589.jpgDSCF9589.jpg

DSCF9588.jpgDSCF9588.jpg

DSCF9591.jpgDSCF9591.jpg

DSCF9592.jpgDSCF9592.jpg

#12 8 years ago

Ivan bought a Pinball Magic to the York Show last year - I thought it was a great game and judging by the constant attention it got most people agreed. Best of luck with your work on it!

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner

#13 8 years ago

What's going on here?

PM detail.jpgPM detail.jpg

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

What's going on here?
PM detail.jpg

art imitating life?

Also to the OP, are your inserts level? I found once I removed the mylar mine needed to be re-glued. You could push them out with one finger so be careful.

#15 8 years ago

Well that's a good question Dung. They appear to be level, but now I am worried! LOL.

Chris

#16 8 years ago

I just recently did mine. Wish I had nice pics like this to help me put the jigsaw puzzle back together!

I love all the little easter eggs hidden in the artwork of this game, and the guy pooping swords cracks me up!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

That's all for now. This will likely be harder than Airborne was from my findings so far. This thing is quite the puzzle. And I have only done the easy stuff do far
Chris

Best of luck Chris and feel free to contact me if you need help. If you remember I did a shop out of one earlier this year and it was THE MOST difficult jigsaw puzzle of a game to do that I have ever done. There are some screws and parts that due to the design I have no idea how they ever got them assembled as I was having to remove things in multiple stages...I think you will see what I mean when you get deep into the back of the machine. No Simple way to take it apart or put it back together. I still have all of the pictures if you miss any documentation. GOOD LUCK I am sure it will look amazing when you are done with it!

#18 8 years ago

Just take pics. This game is not that hard to work on. Access is easy. The only thing I hated was adjusting the switch for the stage elevator. Was not fun to get to once it was back together.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Just take pics. This game is not that hard to work on. Access is easy. The only thing I hated was adjusting the switch for the stage elevator. Was not fun to get to once it was back together.

Yup, that one and the ramp switch are annoying.

#20 8 years ago

Oh great, I can't wait to get to those. LOL

Chris

#21 8 years ago

So one question I got a lot on the Airborne and Breakshot shop outs is: "How do you get to the back of the playfield?"

Well With Pinball Magic, I used the same method. It's pretty hard to explain, but I will try. You need to insure you're not going to break anything (I removed the drop target assembly on Pinball Magic).
All you need to do is remove the balls and pivot playfield to the upright service position. Then lift the playfield up and tilt it out. On all 3 of my machines, the metal "nubs" lines up with the lock bar receiver. You MUST support the front of the playfield. See pics and it shoud make more sense.

If someone needs more detailed explanation, I can try to take a video. This is the only real way I have found to get to all the stuff mounted in the back.

Chris

DSCF9606.jpgDSCF9606.jpg

DSCF9604.jpgDSCF9604.jpg

DSCF9605.jpgDSCF9605.jpg

DSCF9607.jpgDSCF9607.jpg

#22 8 years ago

And the dis-assembly continues - Gotta love the hacks

DSCF9612.jpgDSCF9612.jpg

DSCF9608.jpgDSCF9608.jpg

#23 8 years ago

Some more....

DSCF9615.jpgDSCF9615.jpg

DSCF9619.jpgDSCF9619.jpg

DSCF9616.jpgDSCF9616.jpg

DSCF9620.jpgDSCF9620.jpg

DSCF9622.jpgDSCF9622.jpg

DSCF9614.jpgDSCF9614.jpg

#24 8 years ago

I don't know what you paid for that game. It was worth it. You got a free razor blade.

I look forward to your project. Can't wait to see the results.

LTG : )

#25 8 years ago

LOL Lloyd! You always make me smile

It was certainly the most crazy thing I have ever seen in a game to make it work.

Chris

#26 8 years ago

**** SPOILER ALERT!!!! ******

Some magic tricks may be revealed in the photos!!!!!

More progress this morning

DSCF9631.jpgDSCF9631.jpg

DSCF9625.jpgDSCF9625.jpg

DSCF9630.jpgDSCF9630.jpg

DSCF9632.jpgDSCF9632.jpg

DSCF9633.jpgDSCF9633.jpg

DSCF9635.jpgDSCF9635.jpg

#27 8 years ago

Topside is almost clear. Then I can consider removing the mylar. Not sure if it is a good idea though. Some of the center inserts seem low, and I'm not sure that is a project I want to tackle with my skill levels.

Chris

#28 8 years ago

amazing looking pin, the top like WWE

#29 8 years ago

And the dis-assembly continues - Gotta love the hacks

I've shopped my PM, and currently shopping another one right now. Which means plus yours, every PM I've seen that needed to be shopped has had a drywall screw in it somewhere

#30 8 years ago

Hahahaha, that's awesome. Well, not awesome really, but....well, you know.

Ant tips from someone that has already done it? I am wanting to pull the mylar, but I an concerned about some of the inserts as they seem a little low, and someone previously mentioned they had issues with theirs.

Thanks!
Chris

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

Ivan bought a Pinball Magic to the York Show last year - I thought it was a great game and judging by the constant attention it got most people agreed. Best of luck with your work on it!
-Rob

I bought my machine from Ivan, so it is probably the same one

Chris

#32 8 years ago

Not too terrible of a game to shop. I had 2 machines that I had to make 1 nice and 1 decent game. One came fully assembled ready to shop and the other every screw was removed from bottom of playfield and everything was dangling. PM is a decent game lots of cool features.

#33 8 years ago

And then....sadness. This is the point where I want to smash everything with a sledgehammer. I decided that since I had great success with the other 2 Capcom machines, I would indeed remove the mylar. This game, not so good........Time to walk away for a bit.

DSCF9651.jpgDSCF9651.jpg

DSCF9650.jpgDSCF9650.jpg

DSCF9649.jpgDSCF9649.jpg

DSCF9652.jpgDSCF9652.jpg

DSCF9653.jpgDSCF9653.jpg

#34 8 years ago

Hey, if you have the pieces like the "M" you can glue them back down...or something.

I guess my mylar is never coming up, and it has a scab in front of the genie bottle kickout right over the shaman's head

sorry, dude

#35 8 years ago

I even went really slow too. I didn't even see it until I was done Sigh. Breakshot and Airborne went so well.

I am really beside myself at the moment.

Chris

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Hey, if you have the pieces like the "M" you can glue them back down...or something.
I guess my mylar is never coming up, and it has a scab in front of the genie bottle kickout right over the shaman's head
sorry, dude

This, I superglued a piece back down on my PM. I have that and 3 touchups on one insert. I like to point it out to people and tell them to find the fix. They always point to a factory flaw (color is not mixed evenly in an area) and after pointing out my touchups they have can't tell. Water thin super glue and some very fine grit sandpaper can fix this.

#37 8 years ago

I even went really slow too. I didn't even see it until I was done Sigh. Breakshot and Airborne went so well.
I am really beside myself at the moment.
Chris

Chris make the best of it and I am sure you will do an amazing job fixing it. Just be patient in fixing it. You have the experience and support of others giving some good advice. We all have had those "moments" where we say what have I done. But remember it is your machine and with patience and TLC and doing it right you will I am sure fix it to your satisfaction.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I don't know what you paid for that game. It was worth it. You got a free razor blade.
I look forward to your project. Can't wait to see the results.

All i get is free drywall screws!

#39 8 years ago

I am just beside myself about this now.

Taking a day to ponder the options and will resume at some point.

Chris

#40 8 years ago

OK, so after a day if venting, I realize this is only pinball. I can try to fix it and go from there.

Thanks for the ideas on repair. The M target is by far the worst. The others you don't notice really unless you're looking for them. Hopefully some things will work out for me. This will be the most expensive game I own, not by choice, but oh well you win some, you lose some It should be nice when it's done

Started cleaning up the mylar glue. That's always fun

#41 8 years ago

I'm sorry Chris. I am confident you'll work through it. That game is lucky it has you.

#42 8 years ago

"That's the Spirit, Chris!"

#43 8 years ago

PM is one big onion that's for sure. Last ball guide is a toughy as it goes into the rear wood panel. You can get the sword trick mini PF out of there though

#44 8 years ago

Calmed down now. Got the mylar glue up and the playfield had a great shine. Cleaned up the "M" insert I jacked up and if I can figure how to make it stick, it should look "ok".

I have sourced a playfield as well, so that makes me VERY happy. I will try my hand at fixing the existing one first, but in case that fails miserably, I should have a fallback

Chris

DSCF9654.jpgDSCF9654.jpg

DSCF9655.jpgDSCF9655.jpg

DSCF9656.jpgDSCF9656.jpg

DSCF9657.jpgDSCF9657.jpg

DSCF9658.jpgDSCF9658.jpg

#45 8 years ago

Well like many grandiose ideas I get, ,this too has fizzled. been working on some other stuff, and that pesky "monday through friday" job is really a downer lately. Will post once I get around to doing anything.

Chris

#46 8 years ago

been there done that. Stay motivated!

#47 8 years ago

Doing great Chris. I've been looking for a PM in at least decent condition for quite a while, and haven't been able to come across one yet. Missed out on one in Maryland a few months back. PF on yours looks great after cleanup, even with the slight insert imperfections. I would take that game any day of the week. Keep the shop job going!!!

#48 8 years ago

Thanks for the kind words!

Started working on the individual parts tonight. Happiness is clean ramps

DSCF9665.jpgDSCF9665.jpg

DSCF9664.jpgDSCF9664.jpg

DSCF9663.jpgDSCF9663.jpg

DSCF9666.jpgDSCF9666.jpg

DSCF9668.jpgDSCF9668.jpg

#49 8 years ago

Damn those are sparkling clean. Just started throwing my project back together tonight. I was never able to get that backmost pesky ball guide out.

#50 8 years ago

Yeah, I haven't tried that yet. Strange how it is built into the back of the machine.

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
8,100 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-shop-out-started and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.