Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190330_203204 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

This is my first Capcom game and I'm trying to familiarize myself with the boardset and all of the Capcom nuances.

I do all my own board work myself and the SOIC packaging doesn't scare me away.

My question- anytime I have the coin door open to access the menus, I've got some decently audible humming that is definitely coming from the DMD.

Is this normal functioning of this particular setup or is this a sign of perhaps the display power board needing rebuilt?

Also have a secondary problem that I noticed. The red flash lamp assembly in the upper left part of the playfield never flashes. New bulbs, de-soldering and reflowing the header didn't work. The manual does not clearly show that solenoid. I'm thinking it's supposed to flash with the wand flasher in the backbox? Anyone?

IMG_20190330_203204 (resized).jpgIMG_20190330_203204 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Moto_bone:

Is this normal functioning of this particular setup or is this a sign of perhaps the display power board needing rebuilt?

If it's a loud hum that can be heard across the room, that could mean that the DMD is dying. A dying DMD also puts a lot of stress on the components that drive the DMD, so it is usually best to replace the DMD.

#3 4 years ago

The red upper flash should have a connection to one of the flash bulbs
in the back box. I don't remember which one, but there are 2 that flash under the P on pinball
and the M on magic image, and I think the red dome should be flashing with one of them,
and green dome with the other in attract mode.
Also you can't use led 906's in Capcoms, must be incandescents.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If it's a loud hum that can be heard across the room, that could mean that the DMD is dying. A dying DMD also puts a lot of stress on the components that drive the DMD, so it is usually best to replace the DMD.

Oh no! Good reason to buy a color LED display!

I find it strange that it only happens when I open the coin door to access the menus though?!

#5 4 years ago

Mine is always louder when in the service menus too, not sure why that is though.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Mine is always louder when in the service menus too, not sure why that is though.

Yeah, slightly louder no matter the brand of DMD that is in the game. Normal to me.

#7 4 years ago

Curious if color DMD will make sounds as well?!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Moto_bone:

Curious if color DMD will make sounds as well?!

No sound issue with the ColorDMD as it only uses 12v, not the -112v,-100, nor the 62v.

#9 4 years ago

Could it be a cap?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Could it be a cap?

I've got a good esr meter. I'll check the Caps and at the least see if they are within spec!

#11 4 years ago

Even with new capacitors on the DMD power board, you will still notice a difference with the door open.

As I mentioned in the Breakshot club, I advise to change all the Electrolytic capacitors on the DMD power board as they will eventually leak and will bridge between 2 of the high voltages and burn a hole in the board.

Installing a ColorDMD into a Capcom game, you can then remove the DMD power board as it no longer will be needed since it supplies only the high voltages for the DMD.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Even with new capacitors on the DMD power board, you will still notice a difference with the door open.
As I mentioned in the Breakshot club, I advise to change all the Electrolytic capacitors on the DMD power board as they will eventually leak and will bridge between 2 of the high voltages and burn a hole in the board.
Installing a ColorDMD into a Capcom game, you can then remove the DMD power board as it no longer will be needed since it supplies only the high voltages for the DMD.

Thanks for the tips! We need a Capcom sticky with information like that!

I've caught the Capcom bug- definitely see myself getting a breakshot at some point so all these tips are helpful for sure!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Moto_bone:

I've caught the Capcom bug- definitely see myself getting a breakshot at some point so all these tips are helpful for sure!

Awesome. I have yet to play a BBB or an Airborne.

#14 4 years ago

Fun game ,great wireforms and call outs. Needs the magic touch of Colordmd. Like all Capcoms great display animations

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Fun game ,great wireforms and call outs. Needs the magic touch of Colordmd. Like all Capcoms great display animations

That starts with having a Sigma display. I'm sure there are several single colors that would make that display look great.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

That starts with having a Sigma display. I'm sure there are several single colors that would make that display look great.

The Colordmd LCD has been in for a long time !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!
Playfields
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 209.00
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-dmd-noise?hl=moto_bone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.