IMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2570 (resized).jpeg
20240212_120942 (resized).jpg
color ball assembly (resized).png
image3(6) (resized).jpeg
image2(5) (resized).jpeg
IMG_1503 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1502 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cinder143.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#870 6 years ago

I recently purchased my first pinball machine, a Capcom Pinball Magic. I am really excited with my purchase and even more excited I found this forum. I have quite a few issues and need some help. Do I need to post here? or somewhere else. I am going to list the issues and if I have to I will move the post. A few things I have notices is that when I hold the left or right flipper I get a buzz out of the speakers. I also get the same sound when the ball goes up the left ramp and hits the trigger where the lock lights are blinking at the bottom of the ramp. One other issue is that when I shoot the ball up the stage ramp the swing arm is blocking the ramp so it comes back out. I can reach inside and move the arm to the left, but it will eventually go back and block the ramp. Oh and the trap door on the chest keeps going up and down until game starts and that same area only recognizes a ball is there for the lock ball to work. Hope that makes sense. Let me know if more information is needed or if I need to move post. I got a good deal, but hope this is not overwhelming.

#876 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Sounds like a mechanical issue with the ramp diverter, possibly a broken or missing return spring on the mechanism under the PF

That sounds like a good possibility. I can push the diverter freely to the left and right with no resistance. I will check that out. Thanks.

#877 6 years ago

I tried to get the diverter loose so that I could pull out the solenoid and clean it. I could net get the shaft from the diverter loose from the clamp that holds it. I backed the nut off and tried to separate the clamp, but the shaft would not budge. Any tips? Hope that makes sense.

#879 6 years ago

I want to take my recent purchase (Pinball Magic) apart and clean and replace parts. I have a friend who does powered coating, so I was going to do a few parts. I was thinking of doing the legs, coins door, top cabinet rails. I wanted to know how others feel about the color of powder coating. Is it bad to do them in a different color like yellow or purple? Or is it best to try and keep it original. I know it all comes down to personal preference, but don't want to have a hard time reselling someday if I decide to. Thanks.

#881 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

You might be able to get the actual diverter off the top of the shaft without taking too many things apart on the upper side, it has two set screws, but it may require more dis-assembly than I remember. Once that's off the whole mechanism should be removable from the bottom.

You were right, I was able to remove diverter from the top. There was quite a bit of disassembly since I had to do both the one to the stage and the one to the wand. They were both stiff and would stick. I pulled everything apart, cleaned them up and they work like a champ. Thanks for the input.

#888 6 years ago

So far this game has come along pretty well. Nothing cosmetic yet, just getting all of the parts to function. a little bit of cleaning has brought most of this back to life. I ahad a random issue pop up last night and was hoping maybe someone could help me out. The 3 lites lock targets and the swallow the sword target have quit registering when the ball hits them. The magic wand has also been randomly moving back and forth and sometimes stops in the middle of the play field not lining up with anything. Hope all of that makes sense. Let me know if more information is needed to help diagnose the issues. Thanks.

#891 6 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I have seen everything you just described acting funny on a game, and it turned out to be a poor connection on the 50 pin connection at the CPU.

I tried reconnecting the 50 pin and nothing happened. I also messed with the other plugs, and one of the orange wire clusters on the left side must have been loose, because that seemed to get it going again. Thanks again!

#893 6 years ago

I wanted to know what most of you do with the myler, not sure if I spelled that right. On my unit it looks a little worn out. Do you leave it on or take it off? Thanks.

#896 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

The treasure cove kit is a good start however there are other options!

I am going to order the Treasure Cove Kit and give that a try. Thanks.

1 week later
#901 6 years ago

I noticed that the wand on my PM is a little discolored. Has anyone done something to give it good color but not lower the power of the magnet of the wand?

#906 6 years ago
Quoted from guss:

Big fat black magic marker.

I thought about that, but sometimes a black magic marker will leave a purple tint. Does that make sense? Thanks

#909 6 years ago

I mentioned this in a earlier post. I get some feedback from the speakers when I hold the flippers, or when the stage diverter goes to the levitating ball, and when the switch for the left ramp (where the lock lights are) is triggered. Any thoughts on this? I also noticed and not sure if related, but when the ball hits the pop bumper outside of the stage doors, the doors will go slightly open and close while it hits the bump target. Thanks.

1 week later
#917 6 years ago

I noticed that my PM says version 1.03. Do I need to upgrade? And what are the benefits if I do? Thanks.

#920 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

The main reason for me was stage and elevator issues were cleared up!

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Yes, you would want at least v1.0.6 so you will not have a problem with the stage/elevator.

Thanks for the info. I have this same exact issue. I ended up pulling the assembly out and cleaning it thinking that may help. It does seem to run better, but occasionally it will get hung up. I will get the update and report. Thanks again!

3 weeks later
#929 6 years ago

Now I've done it. The ball was stuck while in play today. So I gave the machine a good bump. When I did that the display screen went all crazy on me. It was showing wierd things then nothing. What should I look for to get this going again. Thanks.

#931 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My guess would be a ribbon cable.
Pull down the speaker DMD panel and take off/reset the connectors on there. Be careful all those little pins can be fragile. Just go slowly and make sure they're all lined up well.

I will give that a try. I see your from A2. Lived there for 36 years. Even worked at Pinball Petes for a minute. Go Blue!

#933 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I hate UofM But i still wish you luck sir

Ha. That's okay. You still have time to be saved.

#935 6 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

The coil on Borge genie lock and trunk lock keeps kicking. I guess it’s related to the opto connector?

Mine had the same issue. For me I removed the trunk and cleaned the optos underneath. I also had to realign the sensors. Hope that helps.

#937 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My guess would be a ribbon cable.
Pull down the speaker DMD panel and take off/reset the connectors on there. Be careful all those little pins can be fragile. Just go slowly and make sure they're all lined up well.

Thanks again. It was the short ribbon cable on the back of the display. It came loose underneath where you couldn't see it.

IMG_0943 (resized).JPGIMG_0943 (resized).JPG

#938 6 years ago

Got this in the mail today. Can't wait to install. Thanks Cliffy's.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#981 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

As indicated in the other thread, I'd be doen for some of these. Anyone else?
Chris

I am interested.

#997 6 years ago

Cinder143/1/USA

1 month later
#1028 6 years ago

I wanted to know if this sounds right. Its about the ball lock. For example, I can make my very first shot when starting the game onto the left ramp and the ball goes to LOCK 1, without activating the lock ball. Is that correct? or is there supposed to be a sequence that lights the ball lock. Hope this makes sense. If this is not correct, what would be the fix? Thanks.

#1031 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Knocking down the targets and the 3 standup bank before ramp lights ball lock!

I know thats how to activate the lock, so I wonder why mine isnt doing that. Like I said i can make my first shot of the game and if it goes up the left ramp it goes to LOCK BALL. What would be the fix so that I have to hit the three lock ball targets to activate LOCK BALL. Thanks.

#1033 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I'm thinking your game may be on an easy mode in programming. Do you have the most up to date cpu roms?

I will check the skill level. I am not sure which roms I have, but I know they are not the latest. Thanks.

#1034 6 years ago

Skill level on normal. I got home and I noticed the lock 1 light is blinking right when you start a game. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2 months later
#1117 5 years ago

Any suggestions? My display has gone out. It did this a few months ago and it was the small ribbon cord that came loose. This time it is not coming on and I noticed an unpleasant odor when i removed the backglass. Is there a way to trouble shoot? or anything I should look for? Thanks.

#1119 5 years ago

Take a picture of your 4"x4" DMD power board, which is to the left of the MPU when you drop the speaker panel down. I suspect a capacitor has leaked and shorted across another voltage rail.

I think you are on to something. Here is what I found pictured below. Can this be fixed? Or needs replacing?

IMG_1650 (resized).JPGIMG_1650 (resized).JPG

#1123 5 years ago

Can someone tell me the part number for the display driver board pictured above. When i do a search on the internest I am coming up with a few different numbers. Thanks.

#1128 5 years ago

Thanks all for the replies. I am going to order a board and not try to repair. Is there anything that could be done to prevent this in the future? or was it just my lucky day.

#1133 5 years ago

Okay, so I did find the part number on my board and it reads B0015502. I did a search on the net for a replacement and found nothing. Pinball parts Australia and Marco both have a A0015500 display board. Will this work? If not does anyone have a spare or a source for a new one? Thanks again.

#1143 5 years ago

Anyone come up with an extra display driver? My part number show b0015502. Thanks.

#1153 5 years ago

Anyone come up with an extra display driver? My part number show b0015502. Thanks.

1 month later
#1189 5 years ago

My PM is acting up. When I start up a new game the drop targets reset. When that happens the game shuts off for a few seconds then comes back on. It will do it almost every time I start a new game. Sometimes I can get past it, but if I shoot it into the genie bottle, when it ejects ball back into play field it will shut off. Help. Thanks.

1 month later
#1226 5 years ago

Looking for a Pinball Magic DMD power board part # B0015502, let me know if anyone has the part or a source. Thanks.

#1228 5 years ago

What is wrong with yours? Just FYI, if you go ColorDMD you will not need a DMD power board.

Had a few things burn up on the circuit board, not real sure the correct terminology. what is the cost of a color DMD for Pinball Magic?

5 months later
#1328 5 years ago

I have a question maybe someone can help me with. I had to order a new power board assembly. My board says part number A0015204. The place I ordered from said that they had the same board, so I purchased it. When it arrived today, I noticed that it says part number A0015205. The last number is different, although they look identical. Does anyone know if this will work? Thanks.

#1333 5 years ago
Quoted from PinBertl:

15204 was original part no. in Pinball Magic
15205 was in Airborne, Flipper Football and BBB.
In fact, they are the same, you can use it.

Thanks, I will give it a try. I was really excited when I found the part, and got sick when I saw it wasn’t the same part number.

#1336 5 years ago

What is wrong with the original board?

I sent it in along with the display driver to get repaired. The machine would randomly power of and restart, I was told it was the power supply board.

#1337 5 years ago

Still looking for a Pinball Magic DMD power board part # B0015502, let me know if anyone has the part or a source. Thanks

#1339 5 years ago

Just FYI. Once you go with a ColorDMD, you will not need the DMD power board.

Can you please list the parts needed and a link if possible? I know it’s probably listed somewhere in this thread. Thanks.

1 week later
#1340 5 years ago

Does anyone that upgraded to a color DMD have an old board they want to part with? Part # B0015502. Thanks.

2 weeks later
#1356 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

if its just one number off, prob fine, just newer model.

I have been using the power supply board and it seems to be working fine. Now I just need a Display Driver Board so I can see the graphics.

#1363 5 years ago

If I order the Color DMD designed for BBB and install it in my Pinball Magic, will I have full color? When I see other Pinball magic owners with a Color DMD it is a different color, but it is all one color. When you watch the video on Color DMD website for the BBB screen it show different colors. Not sure if that makes sense.

5 months later
#1631 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

A0015505 display power board

Thanks for the info RDoyle1978. Does anyone have one they want to sell? Thanks

1 year later
#1978 3 years ago

I have been dealing with no display for a long time, it is in previous posts. I havent really had time to mess with it other than I have bought two display drivers and still nothing. The first display driver said not tested, so I figured it must have been bad. The second one said works, but still nothing. So assuming the second driver works and still no display, what else should I be looking at? And yes I know I should just buy the color DMD, but I was trying to save money. But I almost could have bought a color DMD by now. Anyway I would like to to work with what I have before finally end up buying color DMD, I know I wont regret it. Thanks.

#1980 3 years ago

You say one or both of these 4"x4"DMD power boards are not working? What are the voltages at the DMD power connector? Need to know what you measure on all the -112v, -100v, 5v, 12v, and 62v pins.

Yes it is the 4X4 board. I will measure voltage at all pins and report. Thanks for the reply.

#1982 3 years ago

Could you do that for both boards?

Here is the results of first board. I have a voltage meter but really not sure how to use it. So I attached a picture of voltage meter settings and a diagram of results. Probably not even close to what you need. But here you go. Thanks.

1A27D481-775A-4D0D-A41C-A874A6A0B7F4 (resized).jpeg1A27D481-775A-4D0D-A41C-A874A6A0B7F4 (resized).jpeg7F8AFD4B-9550-47BF-A430-BD381B9D584A (resized).jpeg7F8AFD4B-9550-47BF-A430-BD381B9D584A (resized).jpeg8D1E8512-4797-4276-BEDE-22F4D198D7E4 (resized).jpeg8D1E8512-4797-4276-BEDE-22F4D198D7E4 (resized).jpeg
#1984 3 years ago

Can you use the black wire as the ground meter lead?

So ground the red probe and use the black on the different pins?

#1985 3 years ago
Quoted from Cinder143:

So ground the red probe and use the black on the different pins?

I get same reading, just the negative and positive reverse. May be doing this wrong.

#1987 3 years ago

Ground is black on the meter lead and you need to to use the black wire as the reference to ground. Use the red lead to measure ar the other points other than at the black wires.

Here is a pic with the new changes. I circled the ones that had a different reading. Still not sure I am doing this correctly. I am going to measure outputs with other 4x4 board installed.

49793BC2-8CA1-4C9E-919C-E0E151B60AD9 (resized).jpeg49793BC2-8CA1-4C9E-919C-E0E151B60AD9 (resized).jpeg
#1989 3 years ago

There you go. That is more expected. The problem is between the 2 orange wires. Pin 2 should be 12v lower than pin 1.
Set the meter on the diode test. This test is with power off. Does not matter if you remove the board from the game or not. Put the red lead on the non-banded side of D5 and the black meter lead on the banded side. Compare the results to D4.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

They both read .501 on D5 & D4. Same thing in other board I have except they both read .505

#1991 3 years ago

Sorry for the late reply.
That is not the result I was hoping for.
Can you unplug the DMD power connector from the DMD and retest the voltages on J2 of the DMD power board? I hope you then will see at least 12v difference between the two pins that are measuring -112v.

No worries on the delay, this thing has been sitting in my game room like this for almost a year. I measured and got .453 Volts on both orange wires. That was with both J1 & J2 unplugged from board. Thanks

#1993 3 years ago

On the DMD power board, J1 needs to be connected in order to measure the -112v and -100v on both pins at J2. I wanted to see what the voltage is on these 2 pins without the DMD connected.

I got 101.3 and 113.5

#1996 3 years ago

Since both pins measure the same with the DMD connected, I suspect the DMD is at fault. With power off, you can set your meter to ohms and test those 2 pins to see if they are shorted at the DMD.

Again, not sure if doing this correctly. I put the meter to ohms. It started out with a 0.L on the screen. When I put the black probe on one orange wire and the red probe on the other orange wire it read 0.00 then went to 157.1 I probably just need to buy a color DMD and hopefully be done. Thanks a lot for all of your help.

#1998 3 years ago

Yes, you measured that correctly. Is that 157 ohms, 157k ohms or 157M ohms?
I will test a couple of DMDs out tomorrow and look at what I measure on those 2 pins. There are many different brands, so if you were able to see the brand, it would be good to post that as well.
Once you go to color, you'll really like the game even more.

This is what I show. Not sure of brand

49919AD5-780D-4545-BFAB-30075610C472 (resized).jpeg49919AD5-780D-4545-BFAB-30075610C472 (resized).jpeg
4 months later
#2048 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

I am looking for a speaker light kit and a new hat for the skill shot. Thank you for your help.

ebay.com link: Lot of Capcom Pinball Magic plastic ramp parts

There is a TopHat in this bundle.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
8,100 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cinder143.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-club?tu=cinder143 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.