IMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2570 (resized).jpeg
20240212_120942 (resized).jpg
color ball assembly (resized).png
image3(6) (resized).jpeg
image2(5) (resized).jpeg
IMG_1503 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1502 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bstyles.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#153 8 years ago

Been wondering when a PM Owner's thread would happen.

Here's something that Kerry and I worked on a while back:

http://www.mantisamusements.com/pmdrop5.htm

If you look at your lift plate for the 5-target bank, you'll probably see that there are nearly holes all the way through from where the factory-issue aluminum plate makes contact with the two adjusting screws.

I experimented with a few different possible solutions, but in the end a little persuasion motivated Kerry to make a replacement plate of stainless.

Been working flawlessly in my game since installing it over a year ago.

I highly recommend you inspect your target lift plate and consider ordering a stainless replacement from Mantis.

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Just a heads up, but a fellow pinsider is considering making plastic protectors for this game. He is waiting for me to shop it out so he can borrow my plastics for measurements.

Right now, Pinbits has a subset (slings and a couple others). Having worked with Martin before, and talking with Bryan already, I can guarantee that Pinbits will be offering a full set of clear PETG protectors as soon as we do some test-fitting.

By the way, we're also shipping a NOS playfield out to Cliffy to get protectors made for two two main wear areas (genie bottle hole / under trunk on left side, and the skill shot hole on the right) and the shooter eject.

-Brian

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i've never seen a Pinball Magic with wear anywhere. And i've seen about 10 of them.

I'd never doubt you, however, I know of four down here near me and I've confirmed that at least three that have wear in the exact same area -- at the right edge of the genie bottle hole (in front of the target). The fourth probably does as well, I just haven't been forwarded a picture of it yet.

-Brian

[attachment=2439430,] [attachment=2439430,]
#178 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Who has the Open Mouth drop target stickers? I need one. For some strange reason one of the 5 on my game has a different sticker. Very strange for such a well kept version of the game.

Interesting, I had one of the 5 targets on my low plays (probably HUO) example of PM that was different from the other four as well....

Could be that we each had a target that broke, or could be a mixture of targets from multiple supplers mixed in the bin at the assembly plant back in the day....

It was actually a fraction of a milimeter shorter than the other four, which concerned me, so I bought a whole new bank assembly from Australia.

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

wow, someone must have been good at hitting that hole down there Around here, it's a damn hard shot and doesn't happen often.

Well this one seems to have same area affected.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-pinball-magic-capcom-1995-1996

7 months later
#297 8 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

I was playing yesterday with some friends, and my stage ramp broke.
It has been welded before. Something i was not aware of. Stuff like that is easy to overlook when you buy a pinball, but when it breaks,
you can clearly see why.
So anyway, if anyone has a Stage ramp for sale, please PM me. I need my Pinball Magic fix!
74_007074_3_(resized).jpg
Axl

Man that sucks. It's stainless, so you can probably find someone local to weld it for you. Even PSP Australia doesn't carry this item. If beyond repair, you could try to reach out to Kerry at Mantis to see if he'd invest the effort to reproduce it. http://www.mantisamusements.com/pinball.htm

#300 8 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Mine was broken too. Took me months to get around to removing it and getting it repaired. I got ripped off but didn't know what else to do. They are as rare a rocking horse shit, so a repro would be great - perhaps re-engineered to be more durable.

That's what Kerry @ Mantis does -- he makes them better than the originals! You need to ping him and express your need, otherwise he'll never know how large the opportunity is or how desperately the community needs this item.

If you can get his ear, tell him to put me down for one. Sounds like it's bound to break sooner or later, and since PM won't be leaving my collection anytime soon, I'll be glad to purchase one to have on hand as a spare -- or better yet, I'll install it to preserve my original one for posterity

Also, if you reach out to Kerry, don't forget to purchase one of those 5-target lift plates he makes -- demand the stainless version over the Aluminum one though. We worked together on this and the SS one he made for me has been flawless!!!!
http://www.mantisamusements.com/pmdrop5.htm

#307 8 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

Find someone in your local area that does very nice TIG welding. Ask to see an example of their work. I have a guy that TIG welds all my broken ramps better than they originally were. TZ and Shadow are common for breaking. There is no need to buy new ramps when they break at the welds or cheesy bent over and spot welded tabs. On my TZ, I also had him weld a tab on the side of the scoop to back up the target that bends and causes air balls.

Just like the improved design one Kerry @ Mantis sells
http://www.mantisamusements.com/tz.htm

1 week later
#326 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

don't LED it. Looks like shit.

Not if you have one of Herg's LED OCD kits!!!!!

3 months later
#399 7 years ago

I'd recommend a dry lubricant. Silicone and other wet lubes will attract dirt and "gum-up" again.

I use Tri-Flow Dry Lubricant in situations such as these (as well as exterior door locks and bicycle chains):
http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Flow-Lube-Drip-Bottle/dp/B000C17R7Q

4 weeks later
#408 7 years ago

PINBALL MAGIC PLAYFIELD PLASTICS

Going through a shop-out of my PM, and had to source replacements for a few cracked plastics. Wanted to share the results of the effort with the group.

I'm working with Martin over at Pinbits and I've scanned every plastic. Martin's templated and cut a set of protectors and we're on the first round of test-fitting. This was the most important, as I didn't want to source NOS plastics only to have them get cracked again. Stay tuned to this thread and/or Pinbits store for when we finalize the full playfield plastic protectors kit.

Finding replacement plastics was neither simple nor inexpensive. Pinball Spare Parts is less expensive per-piece, however, if you're anywhere but the island, the shipping is expensive. That's why I ordered as much as a I could, including almost two complete sets of PF plastics. Shipping was a couple hundred bucks to the USA.

As a primer, all the PM plastics are AW00123-xx, where xx is a 2-digit number between 01 and 41.

Here are search links to the distys:

Pinball Spare Parts (PSP): http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/capcom-parts/pinball-magic.html?p=1

Marco: http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=aw00123-

The most common plastics that are cracked/broken (and who has them as of this post date) includes:
06 – Shooter Lane "Skill Shot" - PSP only
08 – Sling Short Right - PSP only
09 – Sling Shot Left - PSP only
14 – Stage Ramp Left - PSP only
22 – Jet bumper lower plastics (Capcom numbers as a 2-piece kit - distys sell individually as 22 and 22B)
-------> 22 - Marco only
-------> 22B - PSP only

The second most commonly broken plastics are:
07 – Playfield mid-left - neither disty has this plastic available
12 – Large (top) Jet Bumper plastic - Marco only
20 – Playfield mid-right - Marco only

Also worth noting is that both distys sell a version of the 23 plastic that is not the same as the plastic found on a production game. I'm guessing that what they have is a sample or prototype plastic, but certainly doesn't match the screening nor does it line-up with the screw holes of a production game's plastic.

In addition to plastics, you might need or want to get some spare decals:

Decals: AW00138-y, where y = 1 through 8

Marco seems to have them all in stock:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=AW00138-

Finally, if you place an order from PSP, I'd also encourage you to stock up on the following parts since you're paying for shipping anyway (demand they do a real good job bubble wrapping this stuff though -- otherwise you'll have damaged goods):
- 5-target drop target assembly A-00154, because individual plastic targets PL00148 and springs do break, and you can't purchase those parts individually!
- Capcom Slingshot kicker assembly A-00157-1: PSP $38 (also available from Marco for $58/each)
- Blue CAPCOM star posts, PL00172-BT & PL-00197-BT.

Hope this info saves you all a bunch of valuable hours...

#410 7 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Thanks for all the info. if anyone can tell me where I can get this plastic I would be forever grateful its the only one I need to make mine perfect http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AW00123-07

Unless you get one from Bryan Hansen, the game's designer, who's indicated he has a few plastics left in his private stash, you might have to get it reproduced. I've read posts about people being able to print new plastics. If you can find a plastics printer, I'll send you a 1 PDF scan of that plastic.

2 weeks later
#414 7 years ago

Anyone else notice that their genie bottle scoop/weldment has broken welds?
I used to think that the playfield damage I've been seeing on numerous examples of this title was unavoidable, but have now learned that it is most likely due to broken trough welds.

In particular, I found my weldment had two broken welds. Didn't actually realize it until the weldment was removed. That amount of play was allowing the ball to make contact with the playfield resulting in the damage seen in the attached picture.

I'm already conspiring with Kerry to create a replacement and reinforced weldment and attempting to design it with edge protection for the common wear area.

PM me if interested and I'll let you know as we progress.

PS. If someone would be willing to ship (loan) Kerry an unpopulated playfield, that would really allow us to make this the best it could be! Again, PM me if you're willing to help in this regard.

Playfield_damage_area_(common)_(resized).jpgPlayfield_damage_area_(common)_(resized).jpg
Weldment_with_suggested_mods_(resized).JPGWeldment_with_suggested_mods_(resized).JPG

#417 7 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

^^^Mine is busted too. I was just going to buy a new one one day as when I got may stage ramp repaired it was nearly as much as buying a new one would cost. Of course they weren't available so I had no choice, but I believe there's still some NOS versions of these.

If there are NOS versions out there:
a) I can't find them (looked at Marco and PSP Australia)
b) the original weldment design is poor, thus even a replacement NOS one would eventually break again, and
c) Kerry will improve the design with reinforcement tabs and a full 'collar' to prevent the common playfield edge wear.

1 month later
#418 7 years ago

Hey folks. I just posted a new topic on the reinforced Genie Bottle scoop/weldment that Kerry is going to produce for this title.
The new topic is to gauge interest and has a survey attached.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-pinball-magic-scoopweldment#post-3249702

1 month later
#472 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Once again back in the club. PF is nice, ramps/scoop need welding, few broken plastics, but not bad. Cab is better than my last, few scuffs on the head, but all in all nice. Big needs will be new legs, side rails, and the bracket that holds the left side of the head to the cab.

Kerry @ Mantis has the ramp. We're working on a new, reinforced scoop right now. Pinbits has plastic protectors for it now, as we just completed the second round of test-fitting.

#474 7 years ago

Tip: more protection for the plastic drop-targets (5-drop target bank).

Add a second rubber beneath the standard one. The standard one rests in the post's groove. The extra rubber sits below that.

This helps because the second rubber prevents the targets from being pushed back to far, which is the primary reason they break.

This is actually an old tip that Cliffy posted to RGP ages ago, yet still relevant until someone 3D prints some oblong posts to better solve the issue....

This came up in a recent conversation where Cliffy were discussing the protectors he's going to eventually make for the game. Thought I'd share....

-Brian

PM-Doubled-Rubber (resized).JPGPM-Doubled-Rubber (resized).JPG

#476 7 years ago

Another tip Cliffy shared with me last week.

The glass receiver at the base of the speaker panel is made of metal, instead of plastic like B/W, for a reason:

It's designed to be strong enough to support the back of the playfield when you''re working on the topside of the playfield.

Well thought out back in the day.

pf-up2 (resized).JPGpf-up2 (resized).JPG

#478 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

how does that not roll off of there?

It's the way the hinges are designed. Pretty ingenious....

#479 7 years ago

Someone should make customized stage doors and top banner for the stage area

Mimic what's drawn on the printed plastic using pleated velour covering (maroon, dark green, gold, or even something with a pattern).

Cut new plastics out of plain PETG and save your original plastics for future use!

Perhaps there would even be a way to use only fabric for the curtains and then have them pulled to the sides just like a real stage curtains ...

3 weeks later
#498 7 years ago
Quoted from fanuminski:

Thanks for all the suggestions - cleaning the optos seems to be the fix- but not before
I tore down the stage on the top side. Bitch to get to - almost lost the PF when I tried to pull it out rather than vertical. Slammed down and bent a drop target switch bracket.
Seems it's a two person job to remove/adjust the PF. At least for this old EM guy. Lol

^^^ See previous post in this thread about resting the playfield atop the metal channel for the playfield glass. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-club/page/10#post-3316747

1 year later
#861 6 years ago

Signs of more good things coming to conceal and protect this rare game.... This is test fit #1... a couple last kinks to iron out...

IMG_20171007_182229 (resized).jpgIMG_20171007_182229 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171007_182245 (resized).jpgIMG_20171007_182245 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171007_182237 (resized).jpgIMG_20171007_182237 (resized).jpg

#864 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Did you get that 5 bank drop magic from cliffy?? Need that.

Yes, been working with Cliffy on these for quite some time. Have to make a few more adjustments and of course test-fit on more than one game and then they should be ready for release.

1 year later
#1366 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh man those lift plates can be worn down to nubs for sure.
https://mantispinball.com/product/pinball-magic-5bank-lifter-plate/

I worked with Kerry and sent him my worn lift plate to use as a template many years ago.
1) If you purchase one, purchase the stainless steel version, not the Aluminum version. The SS version is much more durable!
2) Even if you think you don't need it, purchase the Genie Bottle scoop/weldment as well. Not only will your original one eventually break, the one Kerry and I worked on is superior (PF edge protection and target reinforcement tab).

#1367 5 years ago

Another post which should be important to all Pinball Magic owners:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-find-capcom-flipper-parts

I can't stress how important it is to purchase these HTF parts while you can -- eventually yours will break and NO ONE is currently offering a flipper rebuild kit for Capcom.

#1369 5 years ago
Quoted from Madal:

That fix the one I am missing and cover this damn eyesore.[quoted image]

Someone needs to try to 3D print that trunk...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

8,100 (OBO)
$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bstyles.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-club?tu=bstyles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.