IMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2570 (resized).jpeg
20240212_120942 (resized).jpg
color ball assembly (resized).png
image3(6) (resized).jpeg
image2(5) (resized).jpeg
IMG_1503 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1502 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Shenanigander.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1715 4 years ago

Hey all. Just joined the club. Read a couple of the 1st and couple of the last pages so far. Was planning on reading all 35 pages but failed lol.

So far game was resetting often and I have no display.

I reflowed all caps on power supply and the 2 headers for the 5v line and has not reset yet but I haven't tested that much and expect it to happen again but I can at least boot the game up and test further for now.

One diode tested bad on display power supply so just ordering some parts to rebuild display power supply so that I can access and see diagnostics. Did any of you do the service bulletin upgrade on the display power board. I'm planning on it.

Anyways that is where I am for now. Challenging to move forward with no display but I will see what I can do. See what parts I will need at least.

I have noticed after the machine has been turned on for about 2 minutes the stage starts going crazy. Opening and closing and the magic ball moving. Guessing flaky opto maybe? Haven't dug into this yet but I think that will be my next step. Sounds like this stage is a common issue. Any suggestions on what to look for? Should I just remove the whole assembly and take a good look?

Also wondering what roms you guys are running or recommend?

Oh ya, in the early thread pages LED's are a no no or you lose the fading effect. Seems that an OCD board is now available so do you recommend LED's now with the OCD board or stay incandescent?

I also talked to Randy last night and seems the new Color DMD Capcom LCD's are not slimmer but they moved the placement of the board so that they fit better now so no modifying needed. Anyone install one of these newer designs? Any issues at all?

Excited to join the club! This will likely be one of the most challenging shop jobs it sounds like but looking forward to it! I will add a few pics and let me know if anything jumps out at you.

20200324_150247 (resized).jpg20200324_150247 (resized).jpg20200324_150253 (resized).jpg20200324_150253 (resized).jpg20200324_150256 (resized).jpg20200324_150256 (resized).jpg20200324_150259 (resized).jpg20200324_150259 (resized).jpg20200324_144603 (resized).jpg20200324_144603 (resized).jpg20200324_144607 (resized).jpg20200324_144607 (resized).jpg20200324_150236 (resized).jpg20200324_150236 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200323-195127_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200323-195127_Gallery (resized).jpg
#1718 4 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

ColorDMD is easy peasy, took 15 minutes.
Looks great too.

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Agreed. I had no issues installing my color DMD. I highly recommend it. Welcome to the club!

Chris

Thanks!!! I have color dmd on my other pins that allow it so don't see why this one shouldn't get the treatment!! Hurts every time though being in Canada especially with the dollar even worse these days! But soooo worth it!

#1719 4 years ago

Is the match magicians color thing supposed to be a ball or shaft?

20200324_234311 (resized).jpg20200324_234311 (resized).jpg
#1723 4 years ago

I though the 2 were attached, no? I didn't know they were sold seperately. I may ne thinking of another game, but I was pretty sure it was one piece.
Chris

Quoted from guss:

It is one piece with a ball. The picture on the right.

Ok cool. I was originally thinking that my ball was broken off so started looking for a new one then I discovered the shaft option for sale as well so then I wondered if the shaft was correct or an option? What is the pic on the left for then do we think? Another capcom game?

#1729 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

No, you can buy just the shaft and mount larger acrylic ball. I used to sell the larger acrylic captive ball, it worked for the shaft to.
And No....No more acrylic balls left for sale. I made 50 and was surprised how fast they sold.

Ah ok cool thanks!

Quoted from transprtr4u:

I just gave one to new owner of my old PBM and one just went with lot of parts shipped out yesterday.
Perhaps the new extra parts owner will reach out.
You may check Pinball Spare parts Australia he had a ton of PBM parts

Oh wow cool. I actually did reach out earlier this week. I may try PSPA. I think that is where I got the pic from.

#1733 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

IIRC the stage doesn't have any optos in it but I may be mistaken on that. I do know that it can be a pain to get the switch and game adjustments just right so that it registers the ball every time. I couldn't find a replacement for that switch which I think would help in that effort.
LEDs are a no-go on this game without the OCD board - period. It is way worse than just losing the fading effects, the LEDs will constantly be flickering and it's not pretty. As for which is better, you can certainly brighten the game up a lot with the OCD + LED route but I left mine incandescent and put a Pin Stadium kit on it so I don't have the $$ of the OCD board tied into the game, I can just move the PS kit to a different game if I ever sell PM.
For the ColorDMD the LED version fits perfectly, no need to modify anything and it looks amazing. I believe you'd have to modify the display housing to use the LCD as the panel is quite large but maybe they released a new version that fits Capcom games and I missed it?
Welcome to the club, it's a great game!

Thanks for the feedback!

If you go OCD and LED do you still get the cool fading effects?

I dug into the stage assembly last night and there is a set of optos. I reflowed them and that seems so have solved the issue I was having!!!

I also replaced the bad diode on the display power board and got the display working!! I can see diagnostics now

Next issue is that my wand is not working properly. Moves back and forth in test but not in game and starts on the right side so balls dont lock.

#1734 4 years ago

Both work in this game now. You know how I know? I'm the test machine for Colordmd both to get this colored and fit the new version of the LCD board. Chris E. Of Colordmd and I figured a way to move and mount the control board so not only would this work with Capcom titles but also solve a few stern placement issues. This newer version of the LCD Board is only model they sell now.

Very cool! Great contribution to the community!

#1737 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes, remember it is both "Gi" and controlled, takes some tweaking with the program IMO. The LEDs will still show as errors.

I thought GI were all controlled and there is technically no GI in the game? The thought of tweaking an OCD board scares me I'm not that tecky. I may stick to incandescent on this one.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Does it know whats left and right in test mode? Does it go to the 2 areas; Lock & Critics?

Not sure if it knows but it does move left and right. I will have to test it again. Maybe I will take a video. It moves weird too. Slow one way and super fast the other.

#1738 4 years ago

Chris E. Of Colordmd did all the hard work, i was just the Guinea pig. Its fun doing beta and color games.

Haha nice. That would be a fun experience!

#1745 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

"GI" in quotations
The wand ut not th lost graceful thing in test mode, so I'm not overly concerned.
I'm mostly wondering if the movement is reversed, so it starts a gake on the right and thinks it's on the left

Ahh yes! "GI"

So my issue is that the wand stops in the wrong place often. (right of the middle usually, just before the critics). In this position you cant lock a ball to the left and the ball cant divert to the right either as the balls path is blocked when the wand is in this position.

I discovered in wand test that when the wand is in a resting position that both left and right wand switches are closed which is not correct. I have to somehow align things so that the flat spot (see video) is always at the left or right when in a resting position to that only left or right switch is closed. Just not sure how yet.

#1746 4 years ago

I am the Pinsider that bough the lot of parts. Once I get them I will see what I need, what I want to keep as spares for my machine, and then what is left.
I have had several emails for specific parts already, and if these are available I will certainly pass them along. Again, not trying to be a dick or a hoarder, just want to make sure I have what I need for my own personal machine first.
Thanks
Chris

Thanks Chris!

#1750 4 years ago
Quoted from guss:

The mark on the crank is not lined up. Look at the video at the 50 sec mark. There is a mark on the metal and one on the plastic. They should be in line. When I bought a spare the guy that designed the game ( Brian Hanson ) told me to keep them in line.

Ahh very cool. I never noticed that thanks. I took another look and it is pretty darn close but I will likely try to take the whole mech apart today and see if I can adjust it better.

Has anyone tried to drill out, open up and clean the inside of these gear boxes?

20200326_082433 (resized).jpg20200326_082433 (resized).jpg
#1751 4 years ago
Quoted from guss:

The arm might be put on wrong. Here's a picture of the one I bought.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Ahh I guess that could be the issue as well. I will check that too. Thanks and good eye!

#1752 4 years ago

I noticed someone riveted/repaired my stage doors. They don't seem to be available anymore. They are just plastics like the rest in the game so I wonder why nobody is making repros of these. This fix they did is working for now but would be nice to get this back to original one day.

20200324_195323 (resized).jpg20200324_195323 (resized).jpg
#1754 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

atariaction, what game ROM version do you have in the game? You can see that when you turn on the game. I hope you already have either v1.0.6 or v1.0.12. Anything lower, you definitely can have an issue with the elevator not rising up to the right height. Not sure if older code will affect the wand movements.

Currently running old code but have the latest roms on order!

Screenshot_20200325-111355_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200325-111355_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200325-111402_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200325-111402_Gallery (resized).jpg
#1758 4 years ago

I like the latest roms because you can disable the buy in feature in the menu adjustments. That was worth the cost alone to me.
Chris

Ahh good to know! I turn that off on all my games but hadnt tried yet on PM.

Oh yeah. That must had been you I responded to on Facebook about the game and sound ROMs. Hope you get them soon to see if that at all affects the wand adjustment.

Oh ya probably if you are Brian Thanks!

#1759 4 years ago

Hmmmm. Just noticed this bracket hole appears to we worn. Could be part of my problem.

20200326_144100 (resized).jpg20200326_144100 (resized).jpg
#1761 4 years ago

Yes. Brian here at your service. I went crazy working on a friend's PM elevator trying to get it to raise to the correct height, no matter how I adjusted it. One day, I noticed the game ROM difference between his game, v1.02, and mine, v1.0.6, and decided to swap the game ROMs at that time. That had fixed his game with v1.0.6. His PM came from Gene Cummingham of Illinois Pinball at the time. Found out those were prototype ROMs installed.
When I upgraded mine to v1.0.12, I did not notice any noticeable difference between v1.0.6, so I left that in his game.

Haha nice! How do you know if the elevator is not going to the correct height? Oh wow that is cool. Just watched another mini youtube doc on Gene yesterday. So much history there!

#1764 4 years ago

With the elevator not going high enough, the ball did not come out at the top of that right exit ramp behind the top of the stage.
Miss seeing Gene at TPF and Houston Arcade Expos.

Ok I see. Mine is working then but still will be updating to the latest roms!

I never met him. Wish I could go back in time and hit up some of the old school expos for sure!

Quoted from transprtr4u:

Must have taken the stage assembly apart 6 or 7 times ... changed to the latest ROM and the issue was fixed ...
Elevator worked as should ...

Wow what a PITA for it to only be code. That stuff drive me bonkers lol!

#1765 4 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Hmmmm. Just noticed this bracket hole appears to we worn. Could be part of my problem.[quoted image]

So upon closer inspection that area is factory and not wear. The wand motor works fine out of the machine but still thinking either software or an alignment issue since both left and right motor switches are closed at the same time most of the time in wand test. Also if the wand starts at the right then it does not seem to move over to the left for locking balls. The wand does move in gameplay from time to time but not seemingly correctly.

#1767 4 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

It's always the obvious that is my downfall,....

Haha. My favorite (and probably everyones) is dropping a small part and then having to look for an hour to find it!!!

#1770 4 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Or you don't find it at all....

Haha yep!

#1771 4 years ago

Yeah, that mounting bracket/plate did look factory to me. Looks like we'll find out if the new version fixes your wand issue.
I did not test the wand movement in my friend's game since it was a game killer when the ball went into the elevator and was not kicked out to right exit ramp when it needed to. The ball pretty much had to be removed everytime it when in there.

Yes I hope so! Would be nice!

Ahh I see. Yes that would be!

#1772 4 years ago

While waiting for roms....

20200326_212726 (resized).jpg20200326_212726 (resized).jpg20200326_212738 (resized).jpg20200326_212738 (resized).jpg20200326_212755 (resized).jpg20200326_212755 (resized).jpg
#1776 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's a good feeling when you novus that thick ball trail off the captive ball area!
Not that anyone would, but let's all remember not to use brasso on the wireforms

Haha that is the 1st area I cleaned actually!!!!!! Much better. Now I just need a new clear ball!

Quoted from guss:

Don't tighten the nuts all the way down on the wire form in the shooter lane. It will bend the end of it and it will not work. just down far enough so the end of the wire form is not sticking up.

Sweet thanks so much for the tip! That was a pain to remove especially with the little lamp pbc in the way!

Quoted from epeabs:

Hahaha. I wish I knew that before I plunged my first ball and it stuck in the shooter lane wireform. I said WTF! Took me a bit to figure it out.

LOL wow! Crazy.

#1777 4 years ago

No, you can buy just the shaft and mount larger acrylic ball. I used to sell the larger acrylic captive ball, it worked for the shaft to.
And No....No more acrylic balls left for sale. I made 50 and was surprised how fast they sold.

What are the chances of you making more of your nice balls?

#1778 4 years ago

So when you guys pull out the Playfield all the way what are you actually resting it on? In the video posted elsewhere in this forum he mentioned that he thought the Playfield rested on the little side metal pieces but mine are floating and not touching anything. My Playfield actually really looks like it is resting on the two plastic wire bundle holders but I let this coil bracket rest on this tin to relieve a bit of that pressure. How are you guys propping up your Playfield when you pull it all the way out?

20200329_202207 (resized).jpg20200329_202207 (resized).jpg20200329_202213 (resized).jpg20200329_202213 (resized).jpg20200329_202232 (resized).jpg20200329_202232 (resized).jpg20200329_202304 (resized).jpg20200329_202304 (resized).jpg20200329_202324 (resized).jpg20200329_202324 (resized).jpg
#1780 4 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

I used a cushioned stool ...
All pins should do this access to the back , when upright you can work both sides

Yes it is nice! Just cleaned up the back of the cabinet last night. So easy to access!

#1785 4 years ago

Just realized I am missing this post. Do you guys still have it on yours? Should I bother replacing it or is it just going to break off again?

20200402_161250 (resized).jpg20200402_161250 (resized).jpg
#1786 4 years ago

Must be to protect bulbs. I'll stick a post in there!

#1788 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Probably there to stop the ball getting stuck during Silence the Critics; replace it as Mine's never had an issue

OK cool thanks. Didn't have correct post but this should work!

20200402_180959 (resized).jpg20200402_180959 (resized).jpg
#1792 4 years ago

I got the replacement and it is the same as the slingshot kicker assembly. That’s a good thing. BUT the replacement has a diode on it and my other assemblies do not. Anyone know if I should leave them on there or remove?[quoted image]

Id leave it on and if either switch does not work then just clip it.

#1797 4 years ago

So, when I wired up and installed it the switches "sort of" registered in the switch test, but they seemed delayed or intermittent. Once I buttoned everything up and test played it I got nothing out of them. Now they don't register in switch test at all.
Strange. I double checked my wiring (I added wiring because the wires in the game were too short) and it looks correct to me based on what was in there originally.
Chris

Try clipping the leg of the resistor and see if anything changes. I have also changed some of the wiring on my kicker assembly switches. A couple broken leaf switch tabs, and they used such thin and short wires so I upgraded the gauge and made them longer.

#1801 4 years ago

Can someone post or send me a link to a copy of the switch matrix. The IPDB pdf I have is missing it.
None of my left side standups are registering and need to track it down.

Check the leaf switch tabs. On my PM sling one was broken off the leaf switch but still secure in the switch stack so you could not even see the break. Once I took apart the stack the tab detached from the stack but was still soldered fine to the wire. Deceptive!!!

#1805 4 years ago

The issue is the grounding wire. I couldn't find the break, so I jumpered it to something else on that circuit - the captive ball, and it works fine now.
This is the second time I've had to do this, the other was for the trough optos.
The wire gauge is too small and soldered joints are really poor throughout the machine.
I'm starting to not like this thing.
Now I have to figure out why my stage operates randomly and can't find the ball when shot into it. The optos work fine in test mode with my finger and with a ball. Any ideas or existing threads that address it?

Yes could be a break in the thin wire somewhere. Not a big fan of that wire either.

For the optos I would put back in switch test and wiggle the associated wires around, and wiggle the optos themselves and see if the switch registers. I had to reflow those optos as mine was not operating properly and that solved the issue for me.

#1806 4 years ago

So aggravated right now. Turned the game on today, switched registered fine. Played a game and the kicker seemed to work....:..BUT
Half the lights are now out. All the backbox lights are out, some GI and some insert lights. Can’t find a common coloring and just shut it down for now.
GRRRRRRRR!! So sick of this thing right now!!
Chris

That is frustrating for sure! I had 4 GI out on my PM and turned out to be a detached wire on the other side of the playfield. Yours sounds more connector related though. Maybe the wire harness snagged on the transformer when lifting up and down the playfield.

#1808 4 years ago

Still trying to fix my wand issue now that my machine is back together.

Both the stage motor and the wand motor are the same. Part number mr00106.

I noticed on a photo online that there is a resistor across the tabs of both switches.

Mine does not have the resistors. I was wondering if someone could take a look and let me know if you have resistors across your switch tabs on either motor.
20200405_202446 (resized).jpg20200405_202446 (resized).jpg

#1810 4 years ago

I do not have resistors on mine. Not sure if they should be there or not, but mine works fine.
Chris

Thanks Chris. Its weird with all of these resistors on switches these days lol.

#1812 4 years ago

My stage appears to be working and now getting this thing dialed in.
Is there a secondary volume control somewhere? I have mine set to 1 and it is still very loud.

Dont think so. I think I have heard of this issue before.

#1817 4 years ago

I will try this, but I think I discovered a bigger problem as well. Turns out, Fuse F1 is out. This is a Slow Blow fuse (either 7 or 10 amp depending on what part of the manual you believe). I didn't have those values so I put a 5A in there and that cooked almost instantly. So I need to determine if it was just under fused or if something is causing the fuse to blow, and if so, what.
This all seems so strange as a result of a switch replacement. Does anyone have clear photos of the wiring to the upper slingshot switches and coil?
Thank you
Chris

Had my playfield up! Sounds like something (switch or lamp socket) may be shorted. Changed the wires on my switches to thicker gauge so wire color may differ. than yours.
20200408_073934 (resized).jpg20200408_073934 (resized).jpg20200408_074050 (resized).jpg20200408_074050 (resized).jpg

#1818 4 years ago

Finally resolved my wand issue! Someone F***ed with the motor at some point and compared to the other motor in the game with the same part number, this motor runs faster and in the opposite direction lol. I took the good motor and stuck it in the wand assembly and boom! Seen the wand work properly for the 1st time last night. This mech must have not worked for many many years.

Took a video of the process just incase it is helpful for someone in the future.

I learned that you can remove and adjust the motor crank! Was hoping that they just put it back in the wrong position and I would just adjust it properly but issue was bigger than that. Time to order a new motor! Also, my work was interrupted last night by a crazy ass hail storm! Pic attached for fun!

20200407_202142 (resized).jpg20200407_202142 (resized).jpg20200407_202119 (resized).jpg20200407_202119 (resized).jpg20200407_201923 (resized).jpg20200407_201923 (resized).jpg20200407_213926 (resized).jpg20200407_213926 (resized).jpg
#1821 4 years ago
Quoted from guss:

That's what I meant about the crank glad you found it.

Yes thanks. I didn't realize it actually came off!

#1822 4 years ago

Been playing the crap out of this machine since I got it sorted. It's the first machine my son has really taken an interest in, so it's been a good week. He likes it because the rules are easy to understand, but it plays like a modern machine. I've made it to chameleon couple times, but haven't completed it yet.
Anyway, I notice there is a delay whenever a ball is loaded into the trunk. Takes about 2-3 seconds to indicate the lock on the screen. Doesn't appear to be an opto problem, but thought I'd ask here before I dig into it more.

Very cool. Cant wait to get my new motor and actually be able to put the machine on legs and give it a try.

I read about that delay in this thread somewhere and it said it was normal. Mine has this delay as well. Pretty sure that is just normal.

#1825 4 years ago

Your left switch has no wires other than those going to the right switch, correct?

Correct.

Ok so does your switch work?

Both work yes.

And the top lug of the left switch goes to the far lug on the right switch? and vice versa? Am I seeing that right?

I will add another pic. bobukcat said it well. I normally use continuity test so I can hear the meter beep when contact is made but Ohm test may be a better test.

Hey Bob. Is there much difference in using ohm vs continuity (beep) setting for this test?

#1826 4 years ago

Here is the other pic...

20200408_125541 (resized).jpg20200408_125541 (resized).jpg
#1836 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

For a switch - almost never and the audible test is fine. The biggest difference is that if you need to see granular readings such as if a switch is dirty or corroded and has some resistance you may not notice in beep test. Also some meters only have the audible alert in Diode test in which case the meter usually uses a higher voltage to test resistance as it needs to be able to break over a diode drop.

Awesome, thanks for the explanation!

Quoted from Chucky3D:

I DIY this MOD to my Pinball Magic chest and I would like to share with the pinside community.

Yes, where did you get those side blades? They are nice!

***** LIGHTING ISSUE IS FIXED!!! *****

Glad you got it working!!! Nice work.

#1842 4 years ago
Quoted from Chucky3D:

I DIY this MOD to my Pinball Magic chest and I would like to share with the pinside community.
Let me know, what do you guys think?

Looks amazing man so I had to do a low budget version tonight

20200408_172717 (resized).jpg20200408_172717 (resized).jpg20200408_173745 (resized).jpg20200408_173745 (resized).jpg20200408_174120 (resized).jpg20200408_174120 (resized).jpg
#1852 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Wanna kick some ass in an Pinball Magic tournament?
Hey guys, I'm trying to set up an online tournament for next Friday (April 17th), and I'm trying to recruit participants that have one of the games I have. I'm going to be posting this in each of the forums for the games I own, so I apologize in advance if you get this more than once.
The tournament would be on a single game and take place over zoom. It sounds like it could be a hell of a good time.
Please head over here for info: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/online-tournament-over-zoom-#post-5587755

Waiting for parts from Australia but cool idea!

#1857 4 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Cleaning up drawers and found another NOS Brian Hanson supplied motor , any interest in buying it let me know.
Rob[quoted image][quoted image]

Damn! Just ordered one from PSPA last week

#1858 4 years ago

Anyone have any of these available by any chance? Stage door opening pin. I need 2.

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/sm00126.html

83_009383_9 (resized).jpg83_009383_9 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1867 3 years ago

Looks amazing. Good thing my basement does not allow for toppers. Saves me like $20K lol!!!!

1 week later
#1872 3 years ago

I had some stage doors made from a scan of a NOS set. The art is darker and the material is a bit thicker. The overall size seems perfect compared to the originals. I wont know if they work until I get my parts from Australia as I was missing pretty much all of the mounting hardware.

20200506_135443 (resized).jpg20200506_135443 (resized).jpg20200506_135510 (resized).jpg20200506_135510 (resized).jpg
#1873 3 years ago

If you hold them up to the light then the repro is actually a bit lighter. (original on the right) in this pic.

20200506_135642 (resized).jpg20200506_135642 (resized).jpg
#1875 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Those look really nice!

Thanks, they turned out ok!

Just took a video of me testing them out in the stage mech.

#1877 3 years ago

Good work! Those look nice, despite being a little darker than original. Well done!
Chris

Thanks Chris!

#1878 3 years ago

I have 5 extra sets so if anyone is interested in a back up set for when theirs inevitably breaks then let me know. $40USD shipping included for a set.

#1880 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

My solenoid keeps firing on the trunk lock door on start up. What could remedy that? A switch adjustment?
If so where is the switch and what's the best way to get at it of someone can help?

3 optos in the trunk. one screw on each side of the trunk will gain you access. Check them in switch test for starters.

#1883 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Thanks guys, it was doing it intermittently, it would fire 6 or 8 times and then stop. Now it does it, stops and statrts again. Turning it off and on agin no longer fixes it.

I would start with reflowing the solder on the suspected opto set.

#1885 3 years ago
Quoted from Madal:

I made a set out of white plasic that where a bit thicker thay Would work good out of the playfeld but ones installed in just keep jamming up every time. !
Removed from the playfeld and it would work without missing a beat in test. Reinstalled and jams!
I removed and test and replaced over 20 times. Every time the same. So I gave up. if you get them working I be happy to get a set off you.

Good to know thanks! Just waiting on parts from your home country actually Then I will be able to install! What do you think they were jamming on? I was thinking at 1st maybe the plastics were rubbing on the playfield when installed but took another look and that does not appear to be possible. Odd!

1 month later
#1898 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Brought this home the other night and joined the club.
Spent the first night cleaning out the bottom of the cabinet and clearing out and fixing all the errors.
Got all the errors fixed, but have a quick question.
What are these two white plastic pieces I found in the bottom of the cabinet? Also, where do they go?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have been though every mech, nook and cranny on mine and havent seen those anywhere.

#1910 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Fair enough.
I’m just going to put them in the coin box for now and not worry too much about it then.
I appreciate you looking.
I just assumed they went to the game somewhere since they were in the cabinet. But then again I guess anything could be at the bottom of a cab.
If I ever figure it out I’ll share it here.

Glad you found your answer. Never seen them on any game before. Not my Airborne either. I didn't actually look though lol, I was just recalling from when I was tearing the machine apart. I have pretty much removed and repaired/rebuilt every mech on the machine and studied the schematics lots.

2 weeks later
#1924 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I decided to pick up some acrylic paint to experiment. I found Americana's Dioxazine Purple is a pretty close match. I redid the whole bottom front-facing trim. It's a little flat, but I can't even notice the difference from playing position.

Cool. Can you post a pic or two? Some glossy clear coat should solve the flat appearance.

#1926 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I since did the whole front-facing trim, so it's difficult to see the difference, tried to get a shot showing the inside surface that's original.
Looks like I missed a spot at the top left where you can see it's shiny. The clear's a good thought, think I'll do that after giving it one more coat.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Looks good! I like.

#1927 3 years ago

I had some stage doors made from a scan of a NOS set. The art is darker and the material is a bit thicker. The overall size seems perfect compared to the originals. I wont know if they work until I get my parts from Australia as I was missing pretty much all of the mounting hardware. [quoted image][quoted image]

Still have 4 sets of Stage Doors left if anyone wants. $30USD shipping included.

On a side note: I still haven't got my parts from Pinball Spare Parts Australia which was shipped April 9th. I emailed PSPA a couple weeks ago but did not get a response. Anyone else order from them recently?

LH145966079AU
It's on its way
Most recent update

Delayed - transferred to sea carrier and departed by ship

GRANVILLE NSW

Date & time Sat 16 May • 4:00pm
Details
Date & time
Column, event details,

Delayed - transferred to sea carrier and departed by ship

GRANVILLE NSW
Column, event date and time,

Sat 16 May • 4:00pm
Column, event details,

Cleared and awaiting international departure

MELBOURNE VIC

Fri 1 May • 9:17am
Column, event details,

Item processed at facility

MELBOURNE VIC

Fri 17 Apr • 8:02am
Column, event details,

Received by Australia Post

BAYSWATER VIC

Thu 9 Apr • 5:24pm

#1930 3 years ago

Still have 4 sets of Stage Doors left if anyone wants. $30USD shipping included.

2 sets of repro doors left. For more details on these just scroll back a few pages. Thanks, Mike

#1932 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Did you get these installed and tested for fit in your game? If yes and they work I'll buy a set!

Scroll back 5 posts and you see that sadly I am still waiting for my parts to arrive from Australia so haven't been able to fit and test in my machine yet. Only have tested outside the machine in the stage mech. (I posted a video of this test maybe a page or 2 back). I ordered my parts about 3 months ago

#1941 3 years ago
Quoted from PSPA:

HI Guys
Mark the owner of PSPA here , yes some shipping is shocking , when they missed all the planes , seems they have sent the older shipments via sea
no refund or even a email to us , Australia Post keeps updating the site with info
I am sorry if Ive missed replying to emails , we are so snowed under here its not funny
you are welcome to send me the order number and I will re check for you
and if anyone wants to come and help me sort out the last 40 for container full of capcom parts You'e very welcome. I am happy to load some pictures here
of it too.
thanks
mark

Thanks for the update Mark! Much appreciated. More Capcom parts...sweet!

1 month later
#1963 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Also have a display available....
[quoted image]

Cool! What else capcom you have laying around?

2 months later
#2030 3 years ago

I agree that replacing the post with just a regular old Bally Williams post should suffice. It's only purpose is to host a post sleeve and if any generic post is serving that purpose then you are good to go.

My question is what flipper power do you guys have your Pinball Magic set to? Been working on my machine on and off for about a year and after solving the last major issue I finally just tonight got it on legs and starting to play test it really for the first time. This is a real special game and can't wait to explore the rules once I get it at 100%. Almost there.

20201124_212032 (resized).jpg20201124_212032 (resized).jpg
#2032 3 years ago

Does anyone have any extra coil stops they would sell? A-00378

PPSA is out of stock

I think I read that the ones posted at marco are not what you get when you order them?

Or are you just doing the data east coil stops with the washers under them to adjust for the height difference?

Between the 2 flipper mechs on the machine and the 2 extra mechs I bought I have only 1 original coil stop.

21_006821_3 (resized).jpg21_006821_3 (resized).jpg
#2033 3 years ago

So I finally installed the stage doors I had made. They work great. See video. The issue I had is that due to the thickness of the repro doors the original hardware will not fit so you can either modify the doors or change the hardware (which is what I did).

I have 2 sets left and not sure if I will bother making anymore. Not sure the demand is there. $30usd shipping included.

Here is the video I took last night...

#2034 3 years ago

Anyone have one of these or know where to get one? Capcom Apron Decal...

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CA-13E

#2037 3 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

I might have an extra one laying around somewhere, I will look after the holiday!

That would be awesome thanks!!!!

#2038 3 years ago

I thought I had a few of those but all I could find was the larger "CAPCOM" that is in the center of that decal, but it's way too big for the apron area.
Hopefully wackenhut can find one for ya!
Chris

Thanks for checking!

2 weeks later
#2039 3 years ago

From day 1 I had flaky optos for the stage door.

I reflowed them and were good for a while then got flaky again

Replaced both optos with Bally/Williams ones and all was good for a while and now flaky again

They come on and off randomly and can be seen clearly in switch test.

Anyone else have this issue?

I could rebuild the whole harness, new wires and repin connectors if needed or does anyone happen to have a opto harness for the stage doors? Or any other suggestions?

Maybe the issue is further down the line?

#2041 3 years ago

Posted this earlier but try it.
I fixed several flaky switches by putting jumpers on the ground connection to known good ground spots.
The gauge of the ground wire is too small and I found many that had breaks causing intermittent and perm breaks in the circuit.
I did this after I reflowed my optos and it worked.

Thanks Black Knight. Ill look into this!

3 months later
#2054 3 years ago

Repro stage door set for sale

So I finally installed the stage doors I had made. They work great. See video. The issue I had is that due to the thickness of the repro doors the original hardware will not fit so you can either modify the doors or change the hardware (which is what I did).
I have 2 sets left and not sure if I will bother making anymore. Not sure the demand is there. $30usd shipping included.
Here is the video I took last night...

Above is post #2033 if you want to have a look at the video.

I have one set left. No plans to make more. $30usd shipping included. Been working great in my machine since I installed them.

#2055 3 years ago

Repro stage door set for sale

Above is post #2033 if you want to have a look at the video.
I have one set left. No plans to make more. $30usd shipping included. Been working great in my machine since I installed them.

#2059 3 years ago

Great seller here! I have a set of his stage doors and they are very nice quality. Deal with confidence!
Chris

Thanks Chris! The last set sold right after I posted it!

1 month later
3 weeks later
#2094 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

*POOF*
[quoted image][quoted image]

Holy hell. I was doing this all wrong for a year while restoring mine!!! I would love to see a video of this!!!

#2096 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Just tilt the PF up a bit, then pull it toward you a bit, which allows the back to be tilted up.
Give it a try, although hold on tight

Ok cool! I was pulling the whole playfield forward like 2 feet beyond the front of the cabinet and then propping it up on something very carefully. Was precarious and not easy to do by ones self!!!

#2099 2 years ago

That is the video I watched before (thanks Chris for that) and used that method and propped up the front of the playfield so it did not rest on any of the mechs. The new twist with thelaws's method is pure magic!! It all makes sense now. The other way worked but was awkward! Good job Capcom!

2 months later
#2135 2 years ago

Look up Pinsider Shenanigander. I believe he had a similar issue with his Pinball Magic, but I don't remember the fix.
Shenanigander can you elaborate?
Chris

I bought a NOS power board and it never reset since installing it! Got it from https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/

#2138 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:I have several power boards that I am listing.

30 boards!!!! That is some Capcom gold right there!!!

1 year later
#2264 1 year ago

https://www.youtube.com/@pinballshenanigans/videos
Mike Dymus had a similar issue. I *think* it is covered in one of his videos but I can't remember for sure. I'll hit him up and see if he remembers the fix.
Chris

Yaman I fixed my reset! It can often be that the caps all need to be reflowed but mine was a toasty connector. Here is the video where I addressed it

Good luck!

3 weeks later
#2272 11 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

Hi folks,
I looked through and searched the thread but didn't see it.
Does anyone know what rom chip part #s I need for the actual ROM EPROMs? I'm picking up a PM that's on 1.06 and want to burn 1.12 before it arrives if possible.
Thanks!

I would ask Dave at pinballrom.com

1 week later
#2287 11 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

Thanks Mike!
I'm pretty new to pinball so I don't really know the taboos yet, are businesses like pinballroms willing to help out with information like that?
PS, both your Count-Down and PM videos were a big help when looking at buying each! Thank you!

Awesome, glad to hear that! Thanks! And yep Dave is a cool dude and would be willing to help I imagine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 209.00
8,100 (OBO)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Shenanigander.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-club?tu=Shenanigander and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.