IMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2570 (resized).jpeg
20240212_120942 (resized).jpg
color ball assembly (resized).png
image3(6) (resized).jpeg
image2(5) (resized).jpeg
IMG_1503 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1502 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PappyBoyington.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#80 9 years ago

I did a total restoration on my Pinball Magic several years ago. I found a trashed game and put a NOS playfield and NOS plastics. I also repainted the cabinet. The rails and legs were trashed so I found some truck bed liner spray paint that matched perfectly.

Many weeks of work but I think it was worth it. This game has two of the coolest toys in pinball. Lots of other things were done. I put Williams flipper assemblies in the game because Capcom flipper parts are impossible to find. If anybody has a line on a decent coin door please let me know. Mine doesn't have any parts on the back side.

DSC02464.JPGDSC02464.JPG
This is the condition of the game when I found it, Look at the nice touchup near the flippers.
DSC02466.JPGDSC02466.JPG
DSC02465.JPGDSC02465.JPG
DSC02470.JPGDSC02470.JPG
cabinet2.jpgcabinet2.jpg
cabinet.jpgcabinet.jpg

painting2.jpgpainting2.jpg
So now the restoration begins. I used frisket to mask off the artwork so I could spray the purple.Painting.jpgPainting.jpg
DSC02962.JPGDSC02962.JPG

DSC02961.JPGDSC02961.JPG
The stippling effect was done by hand.

DSC02941.JPGDSC02941.JPG
The little boy by the flipper buttons was mostly gone, So I had hand paint from prints.

swaping.jpgswaping.jpg
Playfield swap

AFTER PICTURES

LeftSide.jpgLeftSide.jpgDSC03051.JPGDSC03051.JPGDSC03056.JPGDSC03056.JPGDSC03015.JPGDSC03015.JPG
Trunk.jpgTrunk.jpg
Repainted trunkDSC03043.JPGDSC03043.JPGDSC03042.JPGDSC03042.JPGDSC03048.JPGDSC03048.JPGDSC03049.JPGDSC03049.JPGDSC03050.JPGDSC03050.JPG

DSC03016.JPGDSC03016.JPG
DSC03044.JPGDSC03044.JPG
DSC03059.JPGDSC03059.JPG
DSC03058.JPGDSC03058.JPG
DSC02978.JPGDSC02978.JPG
DSC03062.JPGDSC03062.JPG

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I am not sure I understand why people do this. I did some digging on RGP and found that DE coil stops with washers can work. Have also read that williams plungers are a perfect fit. Capcom flipper bushings and flippers are still available if you know where to look. The only thing i haven't researched is the flipper return spring.

When you have nothing to start with then you would understand. Show me where to get a clamp shaft. Show me where to get a actuator assembly. Show me where to get a flipper assembly base. There are a few other parts needed and maybe you could find some other parts that may do ok but I wasn't looking to jerry rig my flippers.

Williams flippers do just fine and the parts are easily available. I know all the places to look and there wasn't anything. If you can find me all the parts then show me. I would love to be proven wrong here.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Wow PappyBoyington, amazing!
Pinball Magic is a great game!

Thanks man. This game is never leaving my house. Lots of great memories working on it.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Very nice restore and looks like you put a lot of work with great results.

Thanks Wesley. It was a labor of love.

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Base is available, but the bigger question is why are you trying to piece together the entire flipper from scratch?

Ok, so you didn't read the part where I said I had nothing to begin with did you? Please show me where there are two bases are available. I'll be here waiting. Remember the part needs to be in stock. I'm also waiting for the other parts I need to complete my flipper assemblies. Here is a complete list with part numbers to help.

1) clamp shaft PN MT00394
2) Actuator assembly PN A-00425-L and R
3) Base Plate R & L PN MT00388
4) BRKT Coil retaining PN MT00390
5) BRKT Plunger support PN MT00389
6) Post spring MTG. (Hopefully this would come with the base plate) PN SM00191
7) Coil 1100T #22 PN CL-00111 (Looks like Marco had it but it's "out of stock")
8) Switch Bracket PN MT00392 (might be able to use another manufacturer for this)

Also need the EOS switches but like you said maybe I can use some other manufacturer.

Quoted from dung:

Reread his post. He wanted an all or nothing solution. No substituting parts. His view is that you either use originals for everything or you gut it and replace with WPC.

You are putting words into my mouth. I HAD NOTING TO START WITH. Finding the parts were either NLA or too expensive. Plus you have to have two of everything. Believe me (or not) I know what I'm doing.

LOL, you found a coil stop, and it's only $15 for ONE.

Quoted from dung:

Cannot Access any of the australian parts sites from work, but flipper bats and bushings were available on RTTB.

I already have the bats, don't need those. Yes Marco has the flipper bushing.

Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

All I saw in your post was criticism of what he did to his own personal machine and when he asked you to show him where he could get parts you gave him nothing but more criticism. He did bring this game back to life and you are correct in that.

Thank you Jesterfunhouse for sticking up for me. Yes, you are totally correct in your assessment.

Dung, I don't know why you felt the need to find something negative to say about my restoration. Rather than say something nice you chose to find one thing to bitch about. Maybe that's not what you meant but all I have to go by is the words that you type.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Talk about getting your panties in a knot mate. Yes marco has the coil stops for 15 dollars. Pinball is expensive, just be happy its available.

WOW, you are full of yourself. You're one swell guy. Thanks for the tip. I love getting pinball lessons from noobs.

Quoted from dung:

Why do i need to bother tracking down your parts list? You wouldn't use it if I did and will only complain that it costs too much.

LOL, nice dodge. You know you can't find the parts so you use this as an excuse. Really nice dude.

Quoted from dung:

That being said I did find the capcom eos switches thanks to your part numbers so thanks for saving me some time looking in the manual. I appreciate it As for the coil I already found that available but again probably too expensive for you, but since mine is semi hacked I don't mind spending the money for the correct part.

Can't find the parts can you. Lovely, well I guess you really showed me.

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I would agree on this! I noticed the delay when I was restoring the game and testing everything out. Sounds normal.

Same here. I get the delay too.

BTW, there was a fantastic two part Pingame Journal article (by Paul Backer) about the history of PM in 2009. It was a two part article of at least a dozen pages. You can get back orders from Pingame journal. Issue #128 and #132. I believe Jim is still selling back issues on his website at www.pingamejournal.com.

The article covers pictures of the prototype game. The trunk and the wand is in there. There are pictures of the designers and of the production of the game. It also has interviews of Bill Pfutzenreuter (the programer) Mark Ritchie, Python Angelo, Scott Pikulski (dot guy), Brian Hansen and some others. It pretty much gives the whole story behind PM and Capcom.

The game has many easter eggs. If you enter the initials at the high score screen you get these video modes.

BWL get a atari 2600 bowling game
NTD or NDR gets a atari 2600 night driver game

There are many more easter eggs that I will let you guys find out when you get the articles. I don't want to infringe on any rights that Pingame Journal has. Enjoy.

#114 9 years ago

LOL, just looked back in this thread and the two part article was already brought up.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

It's actually a 3 part article and I tried to get Part I from PGJ several months ago, but had no luck. I'm not trying to be negative and really like PinGame Journal and respect their work a lot.

Nice. you are right. I just found all three in my magazine storage. Issues #128 #129 and #132.
Thanks for the help. I did see Jim a few weeks ago at the TPF.

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

is Pinball Magic really linear?

It's linear. If you can't make a shot to complete the trick then you can also hit the captive ball enough times to spot the trick.

#121 9 years ago

Has anybody upgraded the speakers in their game? How about Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro? Anybody try them?

3 weeks later
#181 8 years ago
Quoted from wonderpuddle:

Yeah most of the Pinball Magics I have seen have a little wear in that area. It's not from hitting that shot; I think it's from the kick out.

Mine did.

4 years later
#1596 4 years ago

Is there any way to get a full set of digital schematics?

Thanks,

#1602 4 years ago

Thank you. I was really looking for a Airborn schematic and just assumed it wasn't available for PM also. That's what I get for assuming, lol.

#1603 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

This is how I do it when I need to:

Thank you Silver Unicorn! All these years and I didn't know this. Tonight when I drink a beer I will tilt my bottle to you

#1606 4 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Do you still need the schematic for airborne?

Yes, it couldn't hurt to have it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,100 (OBO)
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PappyBoyington.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-club?tu=PappyBoyington and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.