IMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2570 (resized).jpeg
20240212_120942 (resized).jpg
color ball assembly (resized).png
image3(6) (resized).jpeg
image2(5) (resized).jpeg
IMG_1503 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1502 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Haymaker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#215 8 years ago

I bought a PM a little over a year ago. Between sorting out some problems with it and buying a house and putting the game on the back burner I am happy to say that today I was finally able to play my first (and second, 3rd, ect lol) game on the table! I've been looking forward to playing this game forever! Feels great and its a fun game!

I do have a couple final minor things to sort out still but the game is now very playable and a whole lot of fun!

1 week later
#223 8 years ago

What power level do you guys usually keep your flippers at on this game? I turned mine up to 16 just to see what it was like and it was insane! I was afraid I was going to break something so I turned it back down but what do you think works well for this game?

3 weeks later
#238 8 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Last thing, if anyone has any of the 3 Pingame Journals of 2008 and 2009 that have articles about PM, I'm really trying to find this!

I finally found my magazines with these articles. Hopefully they turn out OK as I don't have a scanner at the moment. Here is part 1

IMG_20150927_172716644.jpgIMG_20150927_172716644.jpg

IMG_20150927_172723252.jpgIMG_20150927_172723252.jpg

IMG_20150927_172737879.jpgIMG_20150927_172737879.jpg

IMG_20150927_172742650.jpgIMG_20150927_172742650.jpg

IMG_20150927_172805010.jpgIMG_20150927_172805010.jpg

IMG_20150927_172809685.jpgIMG_20150927_172809685.jpg

IMG_20150927_172818962.jpgIMG_20150927_172818962.jpg

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Does anyone have a video of the magic wand doing it's thing? I've never seen how it works.

This video doesn't show the wand doing the silence the critics thing, but its the same idea, the wand moves over to the other side of the playfield, the ball rolls across the bottom, and you can control when it drops by hitting the flipper button and you want to try to drop it into 1 of 2 holes.

edit- video doesn't seem to play for me, but you can copy the link and open it in youtube or it can be found in the pinball magic gallery here on pinside under toys and tricks

2 weeks later
#257 8 years ago

Check those big caps in the backbox, they are notorious for causing reboots

2 months later
#320 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballWizard101:

Do you mean you can just replace the SRAM with a NVRAM chip? What is the chip number?

I run the NVRAM in my PM, works great!

#323 8 years ago
Quoted from FrostyMug:

Do you need to solder anything? How does this whole process work? I have a PM and would like to fit it out so I do not have to worry about this "going dead" someday issue. There are no batteries in this pin right?
Thanks.

Yep, what captain nemo said. You'll have to desolder all the legs of the original Sram chip, then solder in a new socket. With the proper tools its not a bad job, but if you're not competent at soldering, then let somebody who is handle it. You really don't want to screw that board up, as replacements are extremely hard to come by. Once you have the socket in though, its a simple matter of plug and play and never having to worry about the sram going bad!

#333 8 years ago
Quoted from FrostyMug:

Special thanks to you and the Captain! It appears to me that this task is out of my capability. I suppose if replacement boards were readily available and reasonably priced, I might try the task. We all know that is not the case though. I will look for someone to do this for me. Say friends, how long do you think I have before my built in battery chip will go dead? I know you cannot answer exactly but in general. Do you think I have several years left or am I getting close since it is 2016 already and it is a 90's pin?
Thanks for all the help!!!!

Honestly, nobody knows for sure how long they will last. It could go another 20 years, it could die tomorrow. Really though, its not a very big concern. I don't think I have heard of any of them going bad for anybody yet. I only did mine because I was trying to track down a different problem and wanted to rule that out. It is nice knowing I won't ever have to worry about it however. If it does go dead though, I don't think it will effect you much, your scores and settings just won't save, but I could be wrong on that. I wouldn't let it worry you too much, but if you do decide to go NVram it shouldn't be hard to track down somebody to solder it for you! I would offer to do yours but I no longer have access to a desoldering gun (its on the to-buy list though) and I wouldn't want to do it any other way personally.

#343 8 years ago

I had trouble with my loop because one of the welds broke and the wireform moved about 1mm to the side but it was enough to trap the ball in there. What I did to fix it since I couldn't find a replacement loop was I added a couple washers to the underside of the loop, which raised it up, giving the ball enough clearance to make it through without getting snagged. Hope this helps!

1 month later
#365 8 years ago

Does anybody else have a problem with the spring coming off underneath the playfield for the ball levitation? Sometimes mine stays on for 20 games, other times it comes off after 5. Its really annoying if you have a good game going and all the sudden the stage doesn't work anymore. Mine always comes off on top where it clips onto that stud. Yes, I get it properly seated every time.

#367 8 years ago

Here is the spring I'm talking about. It hooks to the arm assembly that moves up and down for the stage and it keeps popping off the stud up top

I'm think a zip tie is a pretty good idea though. I'm going to try to get one on there to secure it better

IMG_20160320_145304056_(resized).jpgIMG_20160320_145304056_(resized).jpg

#369 8 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

It looks to me like it might be the wrong spring. It doesn't look stretched at all in that pick.

Its because the arm is at the top of its rotation, but that might be a good call. It should probably have at least a little tension on it when its all the way up like that. My original spring got mangled, but I ordered this one from marcos. Supposed to be the right spring and I am pretty sure it is.

#371 8 years ago
Quoted from murdock:

I currently own a Pinball Magic and just wanted to ask what is the going price for a Pinball Magic? (I know that the condition of the machine, region of the country, and how much a person is willing to spend for a game that they want are all variables here)
The last 3 tournament/expo/festivals I have been to have had a Pinball Magic for sale. Each time the prices have been 5900, 6700, and 5995. Too my knowledge the 5900 and 6700 did not sell. However at TPF this weekend the FUN! booth/area had a Pinball Magic for 5995 and it sold. The play field was great with little to no wear at the scoops, it was missing one of the "MAGIC" drop targets, had a plastic or two that were cracked, a few scratches/nicks in the side of the cabinet and looked as if the wire ball guides were spray painted gold.
I only say this to ask, is this the price range that Pinball Magic's are going for now? I was under the impression that they were around 3000-3500.

I know of a really nice one that recently sold for $4500 with ease and speed. I'm pretty sure the price on this game is going to keep going up. If you can find one right now for 3000-3500 I would scoop it up while you still have have the chance!

#374 8 years ago

I know of one going up for sale for 5k pretty soon and I bet you it sells. No it's not mine.

#381 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

There were what 1300 made? 1 guy who wants bank isn't relevant. Collectors are going to look elsewhere. Now if someone just has to have it and cannot find one within whatever distance he is willing to go the game might sell. It won't suddenly make all the other PMs jump in price.
Also, I unlike him am speaking from recent experience. I listed mine for 4k. I got more emails telling me it doesn't sell for that than I did interest. What I did have however was a buyer who was already interested before I listed it and my listing motivated him to step up. So believe what you want, but seeing how no one else in this thread recently sold theirs I think it is safe to say his desire of 5k is moot.

Well considering one of the last ones I knew of on here sold for $4500 with a quickness, and apparently one sold at TPF for nearly 6k that sounded to be in rough shape, its pretty easy to see the price going up. I'm sorry you left money on the table with yours. Of course people are going to say your asking too much, thats what the price police do! You should know this better than anyone, since you always appear to be the captain on the price police force. Demand for this game is going up, so are prices. You are more than welcome to continue to disagree with me, but just watch! I know you said you were interested in picking another one up, I suggest you do it now, while you still have the chance. People are catching on to what this game is. But, hey, there's still plenty of people out there who think JD is still a $1400 game too.

#385 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Sellers think they have a fortune on their hand and buyer's want a deal. I passed on yours if memory serves correctly and we had the same disagreement then that we do now. The difference was then I wanted to trade a game I was done with. Glad you like your game, but until a string of these sell for 4k+ I am going to call BS.
As for JD it seems to pull mid 2's if it has the topper. Difference is it actually sells for mid 2's. Unlike WPT where people keep asking 3k for routed machines and they sit, and sit, and sit.

I actually agree with most of this. You're absolutely right, the seller always wants to bring the most money in and the buyer wants the best bargain. I think its fair enough to wait until you see a string of them selling for over 4k to change your mind. I don't think thats unreasonable at all. But I'm willing to bet you'll see it sooner than you think. The game doesn't come up for sale very often but of the last 3 sold that I have heard about was yours for $3800, the one for $4500, and the one at TPF for $6000. I'll be keeping an eye out for others that come up for sale.
As for our spitballing we were doing about working out a trade. Well yeah, we disagreed on the value of the game (as we still do now) but it came more down to me just not being ready to part ways with mine just yet.

I agree with you on WPT too actually lol, I think the asking prices on that have been a little out of wack too, but hey, if they sit they sit, that all comes down to how long the seller wants to wait. Sometimes it takes time for the right buyer to come around. Hell, I just payed 2k for a black hole. I know I over paid, but I wanted the game and it was in front of me and I had the cash on me. I'm not bitter about it, I'm just happy to have the game!

4 months later
#455 7 years ago

The display board is available still, shouldn't be a hard fix. The problem could easily be in the ribbon cable or some other easily fixed problem as well. The game is pretty rough for sure but it would clean up nice and almost all the things it needs replaced are readily available. PM is not a game that comes up for sale very often. If you are after one then you almost have to take what you can get unless you wait for a really long time until somebody sells a nice one for less than its worth, or you get really lucky.

High voltage, the board you posted is the CPU board, which I believe is still available as NOS assuming you have the CPU chip to put into the socket. More than likely if there is a display problem though it lies within the display board itself which is underneath that CPU board.

Its unlikely you'll pull up any artwork even on inserts with mylar removal as capcoms seem to have really thick and nice clearcoat on the playfields. If you've ever seen one in person you'll know what I mean. It'll probably be one of the easiest and cleanest mylar removals you could do.

#459 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

If the game boots up and goes into attract mode at the very least, I would suspect the MPU is good and the DMD power board mounted on the back of the speaker panel to the left of the MPU board is dead. The electrolytic capacitors on the board do leak (very conductive) and bridge across voltages and burns up traces. I had repaired 3 boards already (2 for breakshot) where I had to bypass the board and run leads together off the board in order to get the boards repaired.
Hopefully, the ColorDMD Sigma display will be available at some point then you would not need this DMD power board and likely even see some up for sale once that happens.
For anyone that has one of these DMD power boards, I suggest replacing all the electrolytic capacitors now before your board fails. (I can repair this board for you if needed.)

Got a good source to get those caps?

1 month later
#488 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

That is mildly hilarious although sucks for whoever buys them.
Wonder how many people still have the feet? My game does, but I am guessing it did not get much play. It just got stored in some fun places.

I can't believe they would sell them like that. What an outrage! Thats like the number one reason a person would want new decals on the side and it doesn't even address the problem! I am thankful mine still has his feet fully intact. One of the perks of a very low play HUO model I suppose Makes me wonder though If I should come up with some sort of protection for that area...

And Bstyles thank you for the wonderful tips!

5 months later
3 months later
#647 6 years ago

I could have sworn mine was metal. I put it in a polisher and polished it even. I feel like if it was plastic I would have burned right through the "paint"

2 years later
#1692 4 years ago

Fired up my PM for the first time in a while the other day. Noticed i have a bunch of lights out. 2 full columns in the lamp matrix to be exact. Any ideas on where to look? No broken wires. Im guessing bad transistors on the board.

1580765209782567375594713590463 (resized).jpg1580765209782567375594713590463 (resized).jpg
#1694 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Two rows, all lamps. Sounds like a fuse.

Forgot to mention- that was my first thought but sadly it was not a fuse. All fuses appear to be OK

1 week later
#1697 4 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Fired up my PM for the first time in a while the other day. Noticed i have a bunch of lights out. 2 full columns in the lamp matrix to be exact. Any ideas on where to look? No broken wires. Im guessing bad transistors on the board.[quoted image]

Regarding my problem, i may have stumbled onto the issue. 2 of the wires on j23 worked themselves loose. I need your guys help though. I got the yellow back where it belongs but I'm not sure where the purple goes. Cam somebody take a closeup pic of their j23 connector for me please?
15817388145087842646951986498493 (resized).jpg15817388145087842646951986498493 (resized).jpg

EDIT: I was able to figure it out. Sadly it didn't fix my problem. Looks like i'll pull the driver board out

4 weeks later
#1705 4 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Fired up my PM for the first time in a while the other day. Noticed i have a bunch of lights out. 2 full columns in the lamp matrix to be exact. Any ideas on where to look? No broken wires. Im guessing bad transistors on the board.[quoted image]

regarding this issue, it turned out to simply be 2 bad diodes. Easy fix, and now its ready to go to its new home with a pinsider in a couple weeks

#1707 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Very nice. The diodes were on the board or 2 lamp sockets?

The 2 diodes were on the power board. I just have to say, its been a while since I was inside this Capcom and I really really like how well thought out and labeled everything is on these.

5 months later
#1955 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

The ball appears at the top. The stage door opens but nothing happens inside of it. When it’s not lit the stage door will open and kick a ball out

Check underneath the playfield. There is a motor with an armature that connects to a peice of plastic that slides up and down. There is a spring as well. Every once in a while mine would come apart and I would have to put it back together. Another time, the switch got slightly bent from the ball flying in there, and I had to make a small adjustment to it so that it would register the ball inside again.

#1957 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Having probs with the trunk on the rail on mine. It was firing the bottom gate over and over on startup. My mate reflowed and aligned the opto board and that fixed it, but only for a day. Now it's doing the same thing.
Any ideas?

Flip the resistors to the back side of the opto board

10 months later
#2115 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

*POOF*
[quoted image][quoted image]

res
If you're super careful and get some help, there is the ultra super secret playfield resting position too. You can actually lift/pull it right out the front of the cab so its nearly all in front of the machine. You'll definitely need something to prop it up securely though. the backboard will be basically sitting where the lockdown bar would be.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 209.00
8,100 (OBO)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Haymaker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-club?tu=Haymaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.