IMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2570 (resized).jpeg
20240212_120942 (resized).jpg
color ball assembly (resized).png
image3(6) (resized).jpeg
image2(5) (resized).jpeg
IMG_1503 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1502 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,417 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 49.
#1501 5 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Now, to find that plastic.

If you can’t find one let me know may have a spare but just left for Mexico for a week

#1502 5 years ago
Quoted from Milk:

I am now a proud owner of a ColorDMD in my PM!!! And let me say words can't describe how GREAT in looks!!!

Always glad to hear that!

#1503 5 years ago

Here is a Pic of my color dmd. I have a 50 sec. video of it, will figure out how to post that?

Back (resized).jpgBack (resized).jpg
#1504 5 years ago
Quoted from Milk:

Here is a Pic of my color dmd. I have a 50 sec. video of it, will figure out how to post that?
[quoted image]

Where did you get your apron cards?

#1505 5 years ago
Quoted from guss:

Where did you get your apron cards?

you can get them from this site
http://www.pinballcards.com/Pinball-Cards/Pinball-Magic

#1506 5 years ago

Does anyone have an original game manual for Pinball Magic they are willing to sell?

#1507 5 years ago
Quoted from Milk:

I am now a proud owner of a ColorDMD in my PM!!! And let me say words can't describe how GREAT in looks!!!

I put one in mine last week and it really does look amazing. I told my wife I'm not sure if it's because it was the only orange DMD I had left in the collection or how good the dots work is on this game but either way I'm super-impressed with it!

#1508 5 years ago

Does anyone have under playfield photos of the switches in the pop bumper area? Specifically the left switch for the lower kicker assembly. there is a red wire coming off of that and I need to know where it goes. This is the reason my kicker in that area is not working. I *THINK* it is supposed to go to a 2 wire connector along with the red wire from the other switch.

Can anyone confirm? I hope I explained it correctly.

Edit: Added (borrowed) photo with an arrow and description.

Chris

needs (resized).jpgneeds (resized).jpg
#1509 5 years ago

Has anyone tried fitting LCD ColorDMD? I know the issue is physical compatibility, but how bad is it: would a workaround be possible, or is it near impossible?

#1510 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Has anyone tried fitting LCD ColorDMD? I know the issue is physical compatibility, but how bad is it: would a workaround be possible, or is it near impossible?

How patient are you?
The colordmd gang is on it now.

#1511 5 years ago

Has anybody installed Mirror Blades or side art on there PM?

#1512 5 years ago
Quoted from Milk:

Has anybody installed Mirror Blades or side art on there PM?

I'm hoping somebody would make some side Blades. I'm not a fan of Mirror Blades

#1513 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me if when the machine is set to free play it is supposed to allow the player to keep buying in after the 3 balls? Is there a setting to disable this or make it only one extra ball?

#1514 5 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Can anyone tell me if when the machine is set to free play it is supposed to allow the player to keep buying in after the 3 balls? Is there a setting to disable this or make it only one extra ball?

Yes, you can disable the buy-in but I think that it is enabled by default.

#1515 5 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Quoted from bobukcat:

Yes, you can disable the buy-in but I think that it is enabled by default.

You can disable it if you're running 1.0.12 software. 1.0.3 does not have the option to disable the buy in.

Chris

#1516 5 years ago

It is kind of tease...makes you keep pressing the button to continue!

#1517 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

You can disable it if you're running 1.0.11 software. 1.0.3 does not have the option to disable the buy in.

I'm pretty sure you mean v1.0.12, since I linked you to the latest code at Marco to purchase when you updated.

#1518 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I'm pretty sure you mean v1.0.12, since I linked you to the latest code at Marco to purchase when you updated.

Yes, sorry. Typo

Corrected

#1519 5 years ago

Does anyone have under playfield photos of the switches in the pop bumper area? Specifically the left switch for the lower kicker assembly. there is a red wire coming off of that and I need to know where it goes. This is the reason my kicker in that area is not working. I *THINK* it is supposed to go to a 2 wire connector along with the red wire from the other switch.
Can anyone confirm? I hope I explained it correctly.
Edit: Added (borrowed) photo with an arrow and description.
Chris[quoted image]

Here's a few pics of the switches

20190412_173420 (resized).jpg20190412_173420 (resized).jpg20190412_173436 (resized).jpg20190412_173436 (resized).jpg20190412_173454 (resized).jpg20190412_173454 (resized).jpg
#1520 5 years ago

Where can I get the most recent code?

#1521 5 years ago

New game ROM can be bought here.
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=ROMS242
You need to order both U1L and U1H for v1.0.12

or

Marco also has the U1L and U1H ROMs for v1.0.12.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/EPROM2080
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/EPROM2079

#1522 5 years ago

Sweet, are any special tools needed?

#1523 5 years ago

No. Just a flat head screw driver. Put it under the part on one side and turn the screwdriver a bit, go on the other side and do it a bit at time until it is out of the IC socket.

#1524 5 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

Here's a few pics of the switches [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you, these helped. Now to pull the game out so I can actually lift the playfield correctly to fix it!

Chris

#1525 5 years ago

So I know there has been talk in the past regarding the ball exiting loop 1 and draining. Some have mentioned that the ball is supposed to go to the right flipper. Most of the time, mine actually deflects to the left flipper which is interesting. I think it is caused by a little button screw at the end of the right edge of the exit guide. I have taken a picture and circled it in blue.

B385E8B0-BE88-4026-9421-65C36D971DFD (resized).jpegB385E8B0-BE88-4026-9421-65C36D971DFD (resized).jpeg
#1526 5 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

So I know there has been talk in the past regarding the ball exiting loop 1 and draining. Some have mentioned that the ball is supposed to go to the right flipper. Most of the time, mine actually deflects to the left flipper which is interesting. I think it is caused by a little button screw at the end of the right edge of the exit guide. I have taken a picture and circled it in blue.
[quoted image]

Interesting. Mine drains probably 80% of the time after the loop 1. It seems to really depend on the speed of the ball as to whether or not it makes it to a flipper or not (no rhyme or reason to it that I can find). Would love to know how to fix it consistently as it seems to be super annoying to players and turns them off of the game.

Chris

#1527 5 years ago

Quoted from wackenhut:
[quoted image]

More
Interesting. Mine drains probably 80% of the time after the loop 1. It seems to really depend on the speed of the ball as to whether or not it makes it to a flipper or not (no rhyme or reason to it that I can find). Would love to know how to fix it consistently as it seems to be super annoying to players and turns them off of the game.

Chris

I posted this in a different thread but this worked for me and was not obvious. (It wasn't the rivet/button that caused the drain). Mine now works 100%:

Mine did this when I got it. It took a while to figure out what was causing it, but finally got it. The outer wall metal guide on the right orbit was a bit warped. There was a wave in it which sent the ball toward the center drain. The wave was in the middle of the right metal orbit wall. Here is the kicker: to make the ball deflect less left, you have to bend the metal orbit guide exit MORE to the left. Because of the way it is attached to the playfield by bending the end of the guide to the left, it pulls the middle of the guide to the right and trues up the path. Insert a slotted screwdriver between the end of the metal guide and the metal post (near the hat, has a rubber post sleeve) and pry the metal guide exit to the left. You'll see the center wall of the guide flex to the right. I know it's hard to explain but give it a try.

Ymmv

Craig

#1528 5 years ago

Also the wire form that starts the game
The ends get mushroomed i filed mine flat and the improvement was incredible so check the enfs of that ramp

#1529 5 years ago

Mine does deflect at the rivet point of the guide, but goes to the left flipper. It is pretty cool though cause it gives it like a magnet affect. I will look and see if anything is waved, but looks too good to have an issue.

#1530 5 years ago

Mine right loop always feeds smoothly to the right flipper, fast shots, slow shots, half-way up and back, doesn't matter. Unless it's a shot that somehow goes partially into the silence critics (who doesn't love a cheap award for that on a bricked shot to the right?) and then bounces near the color-changing standup they are always very consistent.

#1531 5 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Mine does deflect at the rivet point of the guide, but goes to the left flipper. It is pretty cool though cause it gives it like a magnet affect. I will look and see if anything is waved, but looks to good to have an issue.

Mine returns to the left flipper as well and my Pinball Magic has extremely low plays. Cherry playfield and the guides barely have any marks on them. Mine seems factory the way it returns to the left

#1532 5 years ago
Quoted from Moto_bone:

Mine returns to the left flipper as well and my Pinball Magic has extremely low plays. Cherry playfield and the guides barely have any marks on them. Mine seems factory the way it returns to the left

Agreed...mine is in the same condition, so it must mean something going to the left flipper as being the correct way if both of ours are brand new.

#1533 5 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

it must mean something going to the left flipper as being the correct way if both of ours are brand new.

I think it means the design was imperfect and they only made 1200, so they never really got it nailed down at the factory. Mine is far from worn, but needed the bend tweak. I think the biggest clue is that on machines where it feeds the left flipper, it hops off the rail. I've never seen an orbit shoot that's working right hop of the rail at the last minute.

#1534 5 years ago

It is so cool though!

#1535 5 years ago

Ordered my Color DMD today! Excited to have this one in color. Once it arrives will have a great day if fixing things to make this the best it can be!

Chris

#1536 4 years ago

First of all I just joined the club! My question is to LED or not LED? I'm a huge fan of led's and I've done them for every game I own and love them. The machine came with an led ocd board not hooked up nut the incandescent lighting gives it a magical effect. Curious if anyone has also felt this way?

#1537 4 years ago

Ordered my Color DMD today! Excited to have this one in color. Once it arrives will have a great day if fixing things to make this the best it can be!
Chris

I'm glad you did not give up on fixing the game and selling it. It is a different experience with the ColorDMD installed.

#1538 4 years ago

Me too. I was having collection frustration, and this took the brunt of it or so it seems. But this arrived today, so now I am stoked to go home and install it!!!!

Color DMD (resized).jpgColor DMD (resized).jpg
#1539 4 years ago

Joined the club last week! Found a pretty minty Pinball Magic stuck away in a basement for a long time. Has a total of 2,880 plays.

I have the LED OCD and the ColorDMD on the way!

It's was pretty dirty from the black rubbers that broke down, but after an initial cleaning, it's starting to look nice!

20190422_113529 (resized).jpg20190422_113529 (resized).jpg20190422_113535 (resized).jpg20190422_113535 (resized).jpg20190422_113542 (resized).jpg20190422_113542 (resized).jpg
#1540 4 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Joined the club last week! Found a pretty minty Pinball Magic stuck away in a basement for a long time. Has a total of 2,880 plays.
I have the LED OCD and the ColorDMD on the way!
It's was pretty dirty from the black rubbers that broke down, but after an initial cleaning, it's starting to look nice!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to the club! That looks like it's in great shape! Enjoy!!!!

Chris

#1541 4 years ago

So I have noticed that when playing the game, occasionally, when I go to hit a shot with the right flipper it loses its full power causing the shot to be missed. It is pretty strange because it is completely intermittent and works perfect 95% of the time. Has anyone experienced this or would know the cause?

Thanks!!

#1542 4 years ago

Color DMD installed, but not without issue. The colorization is just amazing. I am very impressed with how well it was done.

Videos below, both before and after. In the beginning of the "after" video you can see the issue it has now. Any ideas on this?

Before:

After:

Chris

#1543 4 years ago

With power off, reseat the big wide ribbon cable at the MPU and also at the driver board.

#1544 4 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

So I have noticed that when playing the game, occasionally, when I go to hit a shot with the right flipper it loses its full power causing the shot to be missed. It is pretty strange because it is completely intermittent and works perfect 95% of the time. Has anyone experienced this or would know the cause?
Thanks!!

is the coil getting hot? I know the lotr was notorious for coils heating up and losing some power.

#1545 4 years ago

With power off, reseat the big wide ribbon cable at the MPU and also at the driver board.

No change

It's not THAT big a deal since everything boots and works fine after the messages, but it's just strange.

Chris

#1546 4 years ago

No change
It's not THAT big a deal since everything boots and works fine after the messages, but it's just strange.
Chris

Double check the green and white switch matrix wired connectors at the MPU. May have tugged on them swapping out the DMD.

If that is not it, I suggest testing out all the switches in the game.

#1547 4 years ago

Double check the green and white switch matrix wired connectors at the MPU. May have tugged on them swapping out the DMD.
If that is not it, I suggest testing out all the switches in the game.

Thanks, I will check that out when I get home.

Chris

#1548 4 years ago

Reseated ALL connections. Same issue., but I think I am on to something. I may just be dumb, but hear me out......

In the directions for the Color DMD it says:

Disconnect the 14-pin DMD ribbon cable from the CPU Board and the 8-pin high-voltage wire
harness from J2 on the Display Power Board.

J2 is where the error is. I think the game is looking for these voltages and since that is disconnected the error flags.

The directions also state:

Remove the original display, DMD ribbon cable, and high voltage wire harness from the game.

All I need to do is find the other end of wherever the connector from J2 goes in the backbox.

Time to dig.

Chris

#1549 4 years ago

Reseated ALL connections. Same issue

BUT have you tested all the switches? Nothing in that statement suggests you did.

My Display Power Board is completely out of my machine for 2 years now. My power harness is still in my machine since I need it to test out Display Power Boards or DMDs when I do repairs.

Either this error is a problem talking between the MPU and driver or there is a switch error. I haven't seen this error enough to be sure, but I really think it might be related to the big wide ribbon cable between the 2 boards.

#1550 4 years ago

BUT have you tested all the switches? Nothing in that statement suggests you did.
My Display Power Board is completely out of my machine for 2 years now. My power harness is still in my machine since I need it to test out Display Power Boards or DMDs when I do repairs.
Either this error is a problem talking between the MPU and driver or there is a switch error. I haven't seen this error enough to be sure, but I really think it might be related to the big wide ribbon cable between the 2 boards.

Sorry, yes, all switches seem to work properly. The entire game works fine after the error messages disappear.

I did find this, and will dig some more once I get home again:

http://pfutz.us/Capcom/bulletin/j2_missing_zero_x.htm

Anyone else that has installed the color DMD, can you see maybe where I went wrong? Is there another connection other than the J2 on the DMD board that I missed?

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 209.00
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

8,100 (OBO)
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,417 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-club/page/31?hl=guss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.