IMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2570 (resized).jpeg
20240212_120942 (resized).jpg
color ball assembly (resized).png
image3(6) (resized).jpeg
image2(5) (resized).jpeg
IMG_1503 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1502 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 49.
#101 9 years ago

Bought one, swore I would never sell it, and then let someone talk me out of it. Unbeknownst to me, a flipper of all people. One of the few games I regret selling, even though I didn't think it was all that great. Just unusual and hard to come by. John

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Base is available, but the bigger question is why are you trying to piece together the entire flipper from scratch?

Ok, so you didn't read the part where I said I had nothing to begin with did you? Please show me where there are two bases are available. I'll be here waiting. Remember the part needs to be in stock. I'm also waiting for the other parts I need to complete my flipper assemblies. Here is a complete list with part numbers to help.

1) clamp shaft PN MT00394
2) Actuator assembly PN A-00425-L and R
3) Base Plate R & L PN MT00388
4) BRKT Coil retaining PN MT00390
5) BRKT Plunger support PN MT00389
6) Post spring MTG. (Hopefully this would come with the base plate) PN SM00191
7) Coil 1100T #22 PN CL-00111 (Looks like Marco had it but it's "out of stock")
8) Switch Bracket PN MT00392 (might be able to use another manufacturer for this)

Also need the EOS switches but like you said maybe I can use some other manufacturer.

Quoted from dung:

Reread his post. He wanted an all or nothing solution. No substituting parts. His view is that you either use originals for everything or you gut it and replace with WPC.

You are putting words into my mouth. I HAD NOTING TO START WITH. Finding the parts were either NLA or too expensive. Plus you have to have two of everything. Believe me (or not) I know what I'm doing.

LOL, you found a coil stop, and it's only $15 for ONE.

Quoted from dung:

Cannot Access any of the australian parts sites from work, but flipper bats and bushings were available on RTTB.

I already have the bats, don't need those. Yes Marco has the flipper bushing.

Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

All I saw in your post was criticism of what he did to his own personal machine and when he asked you to show him where he could get parts you gave him nothing but more criticism. He did bring this game back to life and you are correct in that.

Thank you Jesterfunhouse for sticking up for me. Yes, you are totally correct in your assessment.

Dung, I don't know why you felt the need to find something negative to say about my restoration. Rather than say something nice you chose to find one thing to bitch about. Maybe that's not what you meant but all I have to go by is the words that you type.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Ok, so you didn't read the part where I said I had nothing to begin with did you? Please show me where there are two bases are available. I'll be here waiting. Remember the part needs to be in stock. I'm also waiting for the other parts I need to complete my flipper assemblies. Here is a complete list with part numbers to help.

Talk about getting your panties in a knot mate. Yes marco has the coil stops for 15 dollars. Pinball is expensive, just be happy its available. Isn't that what the long winded post over shipping costs kept repeating? Why do i need to bother tracking down your parts list? You wouldn't use it if I did and will only complain that it costs too much.

That being said I did find the capcom eos switches thanks to your part numbers so thanks for saving me some time looking in the manual. I appreciate it As for the coil I already found that available but again probably too expensive for you, but since mine is semi hacked I don't mind spending the money for the correct part.

Now, I can go back and point out things you've missed in the conversation, but its moot. So, respond to this post how you will and move on because this thread isn't a pissing match.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Talk about getting your panties in a knot mate. Yes marco has the coil stops for 15 dollars. Pinball is expensive, just be happy its available.

WOW, you are full of yourself. You're one swell guy. Thanks for the tip. I love getting pinball lessons from noobs.

Quoted from dung:

Why do i need to bother tracking down your parts list? You wouldn't use it if I did and will only complain that it costs too much.

LOL, nice dodge. You know you can't find the parts so you use this as an excuse. Really nice dude.

Quoted from dung:

That being said I did find the capcom eos switches thanks to your part numbers so thanks for saving me some time looking in the manual. I appreciate it As for the coil I already found that available but again probably too expensive for you, but since mine is semi hacked I don't mind spending the money for the correct part.

Can't find the parts can you. Lovely, well I guess you really showed me.

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Is there any place to find a trunk cover?

Mezel Mods has been working on one off and on

I bug them about it once in a while...

#106 9 years ago

In answer to an earlier question: The Great Hansen works for Jersey Jack now

FYI, if you look at the part number on the flipper boards it's something like "TYFFBAST"
for Take Your F-ing Flipper Boards And Shove Them
Apparently there was some legal battle with Williams over flipper circuit board patents

I know there is also some story about the artwork / character with the swords coming out his rear end too. I'll have to ask my friend about that.

Also, I believe PM holds the record for the most patents in a pin. Something crazy like 1600, but I'm not sure on the number.

As for pricing my PM is in pretty good condition I got mine around April 2011. The notable thing being a NOS playfield had just been installed. I paid $2200. After Stern announced Star Trek I tried selling my PM and did not get any takers at $2500. I decided to keep mine, and am glad I did. I suspect mine would sell for more than that now $3000? $3500?

Bob C

#107 9 years ago

A tech question

When I lock a ball in the trunk there is a noticeable delay before the animation and sound bite happen.
Is that normal or do I have a switch out?
I believe we did check the switches at some point...

Thanks!

Bob C

#108 9 years ago

I wish so many threads here and the posts would get interpreted with a grain of salt. Stop arguing over this stuff, just discuss it. This is a fan/club thread for god sakes…

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I wish so many threads here and the posts would get interpreted with a grain of salt. Stop arguing over this stuff, just discuss it. This is a fan/club thread for god sakes…

+1

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

You are right and it got out of hand in a hurry. At some point someone has to just walk away which is what the ignore button is good for. Back on topic though.

Quoted from BobC:

As for pricing my PM is in pretty good condition I got mine around April 2011. The notable thing being a NOS playfield had just been installed. I paid $2200. After Stern announced Star Trek I tried selling my PM and did not get any takers at $2500. I decided to keep mine, and am glad I did. I suspect mine would sell for more than that now $3000? $3500?
Bob C

This is tough. They come up for sale rather infrequently. Boston says two sold on ebay in the last 12 months averaging 3947. The price police would probably come out of the woodwork if you tried that here though. Probably a better venue to sell would be CL or ebay. Even after fees you would come out ahead than the 3k a lot of pinsiders say it is worth.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

A tech question
When I lock a ball in the trunk there is a noticeable delay before the animation and sound bite happen.

I think that's on all of them. I remember I mentioned it once and BR's did the same thing.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think that's on all of them. I remember I mentioned it once and BR's did the same thing.

I would agree on this! I noticed the delay when I was restoring the game and testing everything out. Sounds normal.

#113 9 years ago

I would agree on this! I noticed the delay when I was restoring the game and testing everything out. Sounds normal.

Same here. I get the delay too.

BTW, there was a fantastic two part Pingame Journal article (by Paul Backer) about the history of PM in 2009. It was a two part article of at least a dozen pages. You can get back orders from Pingame journal. Issue #128 and #132. I believe Jim is still selling back issues on his website at www.pingamejournal.com.

The article covers pictures of the prototype game. The trunk and the wand is in there. There are pictures of the designers and of the production of the game. It also has interviews of Bill Pfutzenreuter (the programer) Mark Ritchie, Python Angelo, Scott Pikulski (dot guy), Brian Hansen and some others. It pretty much gives the whole story behind PM and Capcom.

The game has many easter eggs. If you enter the initials at the high score screen you get these video modes.

BWL get a atari 2600 bowling game
NTD or NDR gets a atari 2600 night driver game

There are many more easter eggs that I will let you guys find out when you get the articles. I don't want to infringe on any rights that Pingame Journal has. Enjoy.

#114 9 years ago

LOL, just looked back in this thread and the two part article was already brought up.

#115 9 years ago

Same here. I get the delay too.
BTW, there was a fantastic two part Pingame Journal article (by Paul Backer) about the history of PM in 2009. It was a two part article of at least a dozen pages. You can get back orders from Pingame journal. Issue #128 and #132. I believe Jim is still selling back issues on his website at http://www.pingamejournal.com.

It's actually a 3 part article and I tried to get Part I from PGJ several months ago, but had no luck. I'm not trying to be negative and really like PinGame Journal and respect their work a lot. Just letting folks here know for their consideration. Possibly my experience was a fluke. Some other threads do indicate there's been serious health problems and so this could be a legit reason for my experience.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

It's actually a 3 part article and I tried to get Part I from PGJ several months ago, but had no luck. I'm not trying to be negative and really like PinGame Journal and respect their work a lot.

Nice. you are right. I just found all three in my magazine storage. Issues #128 #129 and #132.
Thanks for the help. I did see Jim a few weeks ago at the TPF.

#117 9 years ago

I didn't see him at TPF but did pick up issue #156 April 2015 of PGJ. I really have enjoyed many PGJ issues and especially the 3 articles on PM and many other topics. Some other threads on Pinside it appears that he's been very ill and I hope he's doing much better.

Back to PM, what's the furthest anyone here has made it into the modes and gameplay? I really feel like I've only barely scratched the surface on PM. Actually I've made if further into my MM but never beaten it. I don't know if PM's harder or because I've had it a less amount of time and just haven't had terrific games.

#118 9 years ago

1) clamp shaft PN MT00394
2) Actuator assembly PN A-00425-L and R
3) Base Plate R & L PN MT00388
4) BRKT Coil retaining PN MT00390
5) BRKT Plunger support PN MT00389
6) Post spring MTG. (Hopefully this would come with the base plate) PN SM00191
7) Coil 1100T #22 PN CL-00111 (Looks like Marco had it but it's "out of stock")
Switch Bracket PN MT00392 (might be able to use another manufacturer for this)
Also need the EOS switches but like you said maybe I can use some other manufacturer.

You are putting words into my mouth. I HAD NOTING TO START WITH. Finding the parts were either NLA or too expensive. Plus you have to have two of everything. Believe me (or not) I know what I'm doing.

LOL, you found a coil stop, and it's only $15 for ONE.

I already have the bats, don't need those. Yes Marco has the flipper bushing.

Thank you Jesterfunhouse for sticking up for me. Yes, you are totally correct in your assessment.
Dung, I don't know why you felt the need to find something negative to say about my restoration. Rather than say something nice you chose to find one thing to bitch about. Maybe that's not what you meant but all I have to go by is the words that you type.

If you are looking for Capcom flipper assemblies or parts I have some NOS.

#119 9 years ago

is pinball magic really linear?

I noticed you can compete some objectives out of order

or am I missing something?

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

is Pinball Magic really linear?

It's linear. If you can't make a shot to complete the trick then you can also hit the captive ball enough times to spot the trick.

#121 9 years ago

Has anybody upgraded the speakers in their game? How about Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro? Anybody try them?

#122 9 years ago

Has anybody upgraded the speakers in their game? How about Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro? Anybody try them?

Cliffy told me no need, so I did not

#123 9 years ago

It's linear. If you can't make a shot to complete the trick then you can also hit the captive ball enough times to spot the trick.

Hmmm...I'd swear I got some of the later tricks without completing swallow the sword...which is the captive ball

I'll have to pay more attention and get back to you all on this

#124 9 years ago

I have heard that the game is linear. If it is anything like Airborne, it will be. That is the most linear game I have ever played, but that doesn't stop me from loving it

Chris

#125 9 years ago

It's linear but doesn't bother me at all

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

is Pinball Magic really linear?
I noticed you can compete some objectives out of order
or am I missing something?

Yes it is very linear.
You can light objectives and do them out of order for points, but it will not progress the game.
IE multiple shots to the stage will light it and preform the show, but won't count towards your progress. Silence the critics is another that can be done out of order.

The trunk shot loads balls for mini mayhem. The magic carpet shot is only available when not locking balls via the trunk shot or silencing the critics.

Still do not know where amateur hour fits into the main game so cannot comment there.

#127 9 years ago

Has anyone had problems with the ball getting caught up in the ramp entrance to the floating pinball? There is that one piece of ramp tin that presses against that ramp and might be the cause. Just wanted to see if this was a common issue or not and if anyone has any fixes for it?

#128 9 years ago

yes, this prob is know, from what i remembered, there was a bulletin service from CAPCOM, but didnt have it anymore, and its not those on IPDB... wait for some others help

#129 9 years ago

Has anyone had problems with the ball getting caught up in the ramp entrance to the floating pinball? There is that one piece of ramp tin that presses against that ramp and might be the cause. Just wanted to see if this was a common issue or not and if anyone has any fixes for it?

What version do you show to have when you turn on the game?

#130 9 years ago

This may not be exactly what you are referring to, but possibly the solution to a common PM issue. I posted my solution in post #20.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-pinball-magic-issues#

1 week later
#131 8 years ago

Are there any significant updates to this game? Is it beneficial to have the latest version? I tried finding info online and couldn't find anything...

#132 8 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

I guess the consensus is that this is normal. My PM had sat for 10 years and when I started working on it the trunk optos were intermittent because a connector needed re-seating in the backbox. Then I realized a delay and kept working on optimizing the alignment of the ball between the optos, making sure the ball blocked the light completely (I have an IR viewer) and noticed there was a lot of "Play" in the ball alignment. Big waste of time, did not remove the delay when the trunk locks a ball.

Has anyone had problems with the ball getting caught up in the ramp entrance to the floating pinball?

This is well described in the link; My problem was the switch not activating when the ball did make it into the hopper waiting for the ride up the floating-ball illusion. Difficult to optimize the placement of that switch activation bar, but I finally got the right amount of bend so that the ball would activate the switch.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Are there any significant updates to this game? Is it beneficial to have the latest version? I tried finding info online and couldn't find anything...

I recently updated as my machine had old version ROM's and I have yet to notice any differences.

#134 8 years ago

mine has a delay for the trunk lock as well. I think it's just how the boards process the switch information.

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

mine has a delay for the trunk lock as well.

I sold a PM recently. My game had a delay on the truck lock too.

#136 8 years ago

Well, lookie here! Still need to get it into the basement.

PM1.jpgPM1.jpg PM2.jpgPM2.jpg PM3.jpgPM3.jpg PM4.jpgPM4.jpg
#137 8 years ago

Got her set up! Have to work out some bugs and then it will be slid into place

DSCF9209.JPGDSCF9209.JPG DSCF9210.JPGDSCF9210.JPG DSCF9212.JPGDSCF9212.JPG DSCF9213.JPGDSCF9213.JPG
#138 8 years ago

Congrats on buying a PM and hope you really enjoy it.

#140 8 years ago

Chris.... did you snag this from Ivan?

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Congrats on buying a PM and hope you really enjoy it.

Thanks. It is awesome so far even though it has a few issues

Yes, I am. I was lucky to find this.

Quoted from Doostur:

Chris.... did you snag this from Ivan?

Yes sir, I did.

#142 8 years ago

Well i just joined the club. Any good powder coating color combinations and mod ideas would be helpful and appreciated. Found a very nice example.

#143 8 years ago

Finally have my PM shop job finished.... Couple months of searching down parts and 10 orders later

image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#144 8 years ago

But I find the Captive Ball (swallow the sword) the hardest trick to hit on my games

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Finally have my PM shop job finished.... Couple months of searching down parts and 10 orders later
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Looks great. What were some of the hardest parts to find?

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

But I find the Captive Ball (swallow the sword) the hardest trick to hit on my games

do it (easily) with the left flipper

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

do it (easily) with the left flipper

It seems easier to backhand it from the left. Right now the stage is the hardest shot on mine because it rejects a lot of solid shots.

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Looks great. What were some of the hardest parts to find?

When I bought mine it had clear plastic stage doors with scanned paper on them, Those NOS stage door plastics are impossible to find, the left one is anyway. But a fellow pinsider had a set which was awesome!

Some of the broken plastics took awhile to find but between Marco, Pinballparts AUS & Bayarea I found what I needed.

Pinball parts AUS was the best place to locate posts, plastics etc. I was able to rebuild the whole stage door mech with parts from them.

Awesome super fast game! Looking forward to enjoying it now that its all up and running

#149 8 years ago

if your captive ball isn't registering. I found that the switch at the top isn't lined up right all the time. Likes to shift off center like Stern targets do. Take the switch out, look at it, make sure it's gapped correctly, lined up right and clean. Also seen some, that look gapped right, but when put in the game, the wood of the playfield, pushes against the switch, causing it to be always closed. Which makes the game only acknowledge it when it's hit open, so you have to hit it hard enough to make the switch bounce open, which takes a lot of force to do.

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if your captive ball isn't registering. I found that the switch at the top isn't lined up right all the time. Likes to shift off center like Stern targets do. Take the switch out, look at it, make sure it's gapped correctly, lined up right and clean. Also seen some, that look gapped right, but when put in the game, the wood of the playfield, pushes against the switch, causing it to be always closed. Which makes the game only acknowledge it when it's hit open, so you have to hit it hard enough to make the switch bounce open, which takes a lot of force to do.

Good tip, thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

8,100 (OBO)
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

There are 2,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-club/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.